Tips and Tricks

Icky

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Lillyfield18
You can also shoot at your feet. Even at totally empty a little drains out.
Yes, that technique is called squid-hopping, most effective with short to medium range weapons (you don't move quicker than inking and squidding, but you keep moving instead of standing still for 2 seconds) very useful.

Icky

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Lillyfield18
Another tip squids:

When you're squidding up or down the lips of ramps i.e. __/^^^\__ ramps at Arowana Mall or Blackbelly SP, when you reach the peak of the lip, you will either jump out of the ink slightly (going up) or overshoot slightly (going over/down). This will slow you down.

To combat this, release ZL to turn into an inkling for a split second at the peak and then press ZL quickly to turn back into a squid. Also works when climbing up walls if you time it just right.

Ale the Squidling

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SuperAle
Boy its a long time coming back here :)
Here is the most important tip to all players in Splatoon
Its movement and range... Think about it and then you would finally realize the potential of this trick

Icky

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Lillyfield18
Hi everyone, another good tip (or more of an encouraging pat on the back) from an A+ squad member who is walking the long, hard road to S rank.

There are some players that, through a monumental streak of luck/fate giving good teammates and a mountain of skill from playing previous shooters, have managed to get to S or S+ rank in less than 1 month.

However, for those of you like me who have slowly, but surely, improved since the game's release and are still yet to reach S rank, I have a bit of a tip for you:

Everytime I've ranked up since B rank, i have gotten to 1 win away from ranking up before losing 2 or 3 games - and this would happen around 3-5 times before i finally ranked up. Also, since getting to B+, i have ranked down from every rank at some point except for A+ (which I am currently at right now). In the last 4 weeks, i have gone from B+ to A+ very slowly and steadily watched my skills improve, i would say I've improved to around triple my skill level at B rank.

My point is this, inevitably you're going to hit skill walls in ranked that prevent you from ranking up until you improve, don't be discouraged and keep on trying new things to improve your game, watch SND, ThatSRB2Dude or Five LeafClover on Twitch and learn some new tactics and keep your chin up. You'll get there eventually.

Icky

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Lillyfield18

Hi guys, here's a video demonstration of what "Snapping your snipes" looks like. I do this practice run before i start every play session with my Splatterscope, takes some practice but it becomes muscle memory after a while.

P.s. please forgive the crummy video quality

Ale the Squidling

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SuperAle
Say that's pretty good technique for quick sniping. We should do snipe war again sometime:)(At least the TV Screen is clear)

Rowanuki

Inkling
NNID
Rowan12

Hi guys, here's a video demonstration of what "Snapping your snipes" looks like. I do this practice run before i start every play session with my Splatterscope, takes some practice but it becomes muscle memory after a while.

P.s. please forgive the crummy video quality
ooh...interesting, makes me wanna practice on that. I'll see if I can do some practice now. thanks for the video :)

Splats

Senior Squid
NNID
coolSean
I've been watching that really good sniper guy on youtube and OH DEAR GAWD HE'S AMAZING WITH THE E LITER! I MUST train with sniping!

Ale the Squidling

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SuperAle
What about facing blasters?
This is weird... Answering my own question... Well the blasters have a specific AOE(Area of Effectiveness) which means that the ball of ink exploding is its most effective area, everything else either does splash damage or not at all. To avoid getting one shot, you need to get to close proximity with the blaster because of the AOE or out-range the the blaster(Scumbag Charger). Other shooter weapons have the same thing but it not specific to recognize.

Icky

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Lillyfield18
This is weird... Answering my own question... Well the blasters have a specific AOE(Area of Effectiveness) which means that the ball of ink exploding is its most effective area, everything else either does splash damage or not at all. To avoid getting one shot, you need to get to close proximity with the blaster because of the AOE or out-range the the blaster(Scumbag Charger). Other shooter weapons have the same thing but it not specific to recognize.
Spot-on Alè, but here's a tip for all of my fellow (scumbag) chargers out there:

Blasters tend to be very jump-happy, that is they will (almost) always jump out of their ink and shoot because it is the most effective way for them to dodge enemy fire (usually). But for a charger, if one is either coming at you or is heading in a different direction through your ink, build up a charge and wait for them to jump out of the ink, then shoot them as they're falling since they can't change their jump trajectory (much) mid-flight. So satisfying lol

Squinkling

Inkling
NNID
vbj625
Spot-on Alè, but here's a tip for all of my fellow (scumbag) chargers out there:

Blasters tend to be very jump-happy, that is they will (almost) always jump out of their ink and shoot because it is the most effective way for them to dodge enemy fire (usually). But for a charger, if one is either coming at you or is heading in a different direction through your ink, build up a charge and wait for them to jump out of the ink, then shoot them as they're falling since they can't change their jump trajectory (much) mid-flight. So satisfying lol
Yes, we blaster users tend to be quite bouncy. It's good for maneuverability.

Saywhat

Inkling
NNID
Sayhuh
Recently a squad member asked "Where are good Beacon placements?" I wanted to discuss/post my thoughts on good places. I made an Imgur album consisting of all 12 maps, with marked spots for beacons.

Things to note before we get into it:
1. I'm not a Beacon user myself, but these are spots I wouldn't mind jumping to.
2. Both sides are marked with their respectable color.
3. Sorry some of the pictures are potato quality, I'll be editting them with better quality pictures are soon as Recon mode for the other maps become avaliable.
4. Placement of the Beacons change depending on a lot of factors (mode/situation/ect) so these are areas I generally think are alright to place, without risking going into enemy territory. That being said; I'll include a plain map template album for all of them, if anyone wants to go into further detail.

Without futher ado
Beacon placement album: Map templates:

Last edited:

Icky

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Lillyfield18
Discuss! I hope this is helpful for anyone who is curious.
Excellent work Say, mostly good work especially the Camp Triggerfish one (Rainmaker on CT is a must-have-beakons map). One thing though, on Bluefin Depot the two cross-walls shaped like a “+” sign, behind those walls on your team's side is a great place for close combat weapons, especially rollers, to jump to. Maybe add two spots similar to this ".+.” with my two periods/full-stops to be the place you would put the beakons.

Same with Kelp Dome, you should add two spots on your team's side of the middle-tower, in the crevice where the dome extends out into a wall i.e. “=.(○)=” with my period/full-stop to be where the beakon goes.

Saywhat

Inkling
NNID
Sayhuh
Excellent work Say, mostly good work especially the Camp Triggerfish one (Rainmaker on CT is a must-have-beakons map). One thing though, on Bluefin Depot the two cross-walls shaped like a “+” sign, behind those walls on your team's side is a great place for close combat weapons, especially rollers, to jump to. Maybe add two spots similar to this ".+.” with my two periods/full-stops to be the place you would put the beakons.

Same with Kelp Dome, you should add two spots on your team's side of the middle-tower, in the crevice where the dome extends out into a wall i.e. “=.(○)=” with my period/full-stop to be where the beakon goes.
Thank you Icky, I edited the two maps to what you suggested.

honchandesu

Inkling
NNID
honchandesu
Nice work!

I'd like to add for that Urchin Underpass rainmaker, while our team's rainmaker is advancing to the pedalstal, I like to place a beakon right next to the enemy's vending machine near the choke point. I found that this beakon goes largely unnoticed by the enemy team, and in case of wipe, we can jump back into the action safely and ambush them when they inevitably take the rainmaker back.

Icky

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Lillyfield18

Here's a good video that highlights some of the advantages/disadvantages of playing without gyro/motion controls, even teams like Squid Memories (Winners of Inkstorm) and Squidbox (winners of Booyah Battles and other tournaments) have players who use stick-aim. Remarkable

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom