To use motion controls or to not use motion controls....

Motion controls: yay or nay?

• Total voters

Stylish

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Vontos
I feel like the Charger goes great with motion controls for precision ...but that is the only time I use it.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
Well, ever since I lowered the sensitivity of the controls, I did WAY better with motion controls. Definitely sticking with the gyro.

EvilPinkamina

Inkling
NNID
EvilPinkamina
I loved the motion controls, though that might be a side effect of me being used to the precision of a mouse and not being able to deal with the imprecise stick control. Felt like I could get more hits though by slightly adjusting with motion controls and doing wide movements with gamepad.

Chamo

Inkling
NNID
Northnan
I liked the motion controls much more. I tried turning them off and found myself struggling to aim. Maybe it would help to turn the sensitivity down, but for now, motion controls all the way.

Mayana

Full Squid
NNID
wolfxdog
Didn't change the controls, but sometimes I forgot that the motion control was a thing haha. I'll have to give it another shot when the game comes out or if there's another demo session.
Didn't mind the motion controls too much, found it quite fun, but can't compare anything personally just yet.

Greeny

Inkling
NNID
SpeedDeoxys
I found the motion controls to be hard to use, but after struggling to aim, I turned them on again. Now those Up+ZR rollers are much easier to shoot down.

Sleepy_Icarus

Inkling
NNID
StarrKnight
I think the motion controls are worth learning. They're a bit fiddly at first, but mastering them would mean you're able to react much faster and aim with more precision than with the old-fashioned stick controls.
Completely agree with this. I turned off motion controls for the last session, and I was not doing as hot as yesterday. Actually found it harder to aim, but that's just me.

Fate

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Fate684
After trying with and without motion controls in the final test, I'm undecided on which I prefer. I do feel that motion controls will be better in the long run though, so I'll likely stick with it and try to get better at it.

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
Motion controls feel awkward,I find myself pressing Y to reset the camera too many times.

Vinny

Inkling
The motion controls worked out better then I expected, thought they are a little wonky.

Gunster25

Pro Squid
The motion controls and the right stick worked together the best in my opinion, just felt very fluent

yaminokaabii

Inkling
NNID
YamiNoKaabii
They were great for me, probably 'cause I had no problem waggling in Wii games and this is practically my first shooter, so there's no dual analog I have to get unused to. Yay? I didn't even know about the control settings until after the last play session - I wish that the tutorial is still playable/settings adjustable, 'cause it'd really help to be able to fine-tune sensitivity,

Wiley

Smeargle
NNID
MrWiley
My take on it is, don't think about an hour window... your wrists are really not going to enjoy this game for very long if you stick to motion as your primary control scheme if you ask me. The gamepad is one of the heaviest controllers to date, and even with the wii mote I found ways of cutting corners to hack and slash as lazily as I could on long runs with games like Skyward Sword. I'm of the older frame of mind though. I turned them off, I wouldn't have voted "Bleh" as I see them as a possibility to some and wouldn't want to take away from their preference but long term play I just can't see myself sticking with it. I turned them off as soon as I could and don't plan on going back.

That being said, dual stick is slippery and not like any of your average FPS but super fun nonetheless.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I honestly couldn't play without motion controls. As soon as I turned them off, I kept forgetting to use the other stick constantly to change the camera. This left me in very bad spots.

So I will be sticking with it myself.

RedML51

Senior Squid
NNID
RedML51
Well, this really is divisive, isn't it?

I'm surprised to see so many people saying they switched to non-motion controls and were really happy with it. I did for one match, and I found it to be very strange and much more difficult. But then I didn't change the sensitivity; I feel like it may have been more manageable had I turned it down a few notches.

I still find the motion controls a little awkward, and I can see why some people are inclined to want to turn them off, but I feel like it's still the superior option and my only choice is to simply keep practicing with it and get a feel for it.

Actually, I was a pretty big fan of the 3DS Zelda remakes' gyro aiming. Splatoon is a natural extension of that. So I feel like once I get used to the gyro controls I'm going to be quite satisfied with it.

kimerson

Inkling
Premium
NNID
kimerson
It's interesting to see how when I started this thread after the first Global testfire play session, almost everybody thought the motion controls were too clunky and immediately turned them off. However, now that the beta has ended, people have gotten accustomed to the motion controls and now many say they can't play without them (myself included lol)

Sgo-J

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Yulwei
So I've had the game since launch and have decided to turn motion controls back on now the thing is I fidget a bit when play like tapping my foot and such like which tends to throw everything all out of whack in the heat of the moment. What sensitivity would people recommend for the only camera movement to be of my own devising

inkopolis

Inkster Jr.
NNID
kkraid
I think they're okay. I use them myself, but they can be a little annoying at times.

spiffy

Full Squid
NNID
pinkylilacs
i love motion controls. they were weird at first but allow for so much more precision and quick turns that make a lot of difference in multiplayer. most top players use gyro anyway so motion controls seems like the way to go for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom