• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Tournament Ruleset Ideas

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
I personally stand by only having one game mode be the tournament mode but I would be fine with two max. Too many game modes makes for a wacky competitive setting and I don't think that's the best way to go.

My personal choice would be Splat Zones and then thegame mode that seems to be the second most competitive which is currently Turf War as it is the only other game mode currently released.
Well with Heroes of the Storm they have 5 maps and each map has its own mode/features to it, yet nobody seems to mind that. Nor did anyone mid that when they held a tournament with a bunch of college teams.

Hmmmmm I personally feel like having multiple game modes could only make the tournament setting more interesting especially after watching other competitive scenes. For now until we have those other gamemodes is hard to tell regardless what you say could easily happen in the long run, and I'm sure most people would be okay with that.
I think that if there ends up being more than like 6-7 modes that instead of having the modes preset like how you suggested earlier of game 1 will be mode a, game 2 mode b, etc. Teams should select the mode they want while picking the maps, like how I stated before how in the best of 5 Team A would pick map 1 and 3 but also pick the modes in which those maps are played on, and then team B picks the maps/modes for game 2 and 4.

Sandwich

Inkling
NNID
Chawpy
I hope they release more game modes, such as team death match.
2v2 would be my preference for a tourney, however, 4v4 will be just fine.
It would have to be ran similar to a halo tourney. You must be responsible for bringing your own setup. Unless it's a huge venue with a ton of wii u's.
Also we would need a custom games lobby for this to work out.

BeanYak

Full Squid
NNID
Catman789
Well, ****, I'm late to this thread. I skimmed through about a page of arguments, and people are debating over splat zones and turf war, but I'm really hoping that some of the modes to be released could be potential main gamemodes for competitive play. I think that splat zones is better between what we have right now, but I still don't think it's good enough.

In terms of format, I definitely think that the sets should work something like other shooters. If you look at CS:GO, I think they do something like best of 30 on each map, and best of 3 or 5 maps. I could see something like best of 5 on a map and best of 3 maps, with banning and such.

The Apple BOOM

Senior Squid
NNID
TheAppleBOOM
The default for Splatoon is currently as follows.
4v4 Turf War with all maps and loudouts legal. To deviate from this, the burden of proof lies on the one requesting the deviation.
There should only be one mode going on at a tournament. Multiple scenes may emerge for different modes, but modes require different skill sets that would be unrealistic to ask people to perfect. They don't ask Indoor Volleyball players to sometimes switch to Beach Volleyball at the Olympics, and I will not ask Turf War players to switch to Splat Zones or Rainmaker at my touraments.

Another issue here that does not seem to be addressed is that you guys need to not only make the rules, but have compelling arguments for your rule sets to make before tournament runners. Many tournament runners know their game inside and out, and if you want them to change their rule set to your standards, you need to have a more compelling argument than this thread on Squidboards said so.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
Well, ****, I'm late to this thread. I skimmed through about a page of arguments, and people are debating over splat zones and turf war, but I'm really hoping that some of the modes to be released could be potential main gamemodes for competitive play. I think that splat zones is better between what we have right now, but I still don't think it's good enough.

In terms of format, I definitely think that the sets should work something like other shooters. If you look at CS:GO, I think they do something like best of 30 on each map, and best of 3 or 5 maps. I could see something like best of 5 on a map and best of 3 maps, with banning and such.
I honestly wouldn't go with a 30 game per map format as that'd take forever for a best of 3-5 but maybe a best of 10 per map would work because as I've stated before, splatoon games will undoubtedly last longer than the 2 ish minute average cs:go games last

BeanYak

Full Squid
NNID
Catman789
I honestly wouldn't go with a 30 game per map format as that'd take forever for a best of 3-5 but maybe a best of 10 per map would work because as I've stated before, splatoon games will undoubtedly last longer than the 2 ish minute average cs:go games last
I only used the number 30 as an example from CS:GO, at the bottom of my post I said best of 5 on a map and best of 3 maps.

Chiiab

Shy person
NNID
Chiiab
The default for Splatoon is currently as follows.
4v4 Turf War with all maps and loudouts legal. To deviate from this, the burden of proof lies on the one requesting the deviation.
There should only be one mode going on at a tournament. Multiple scenes may emerge for different modes, but modes require different skill sets that would be unrealistic to ask people to perfect. They don't ask Indoor Volleyball players to sometimes switch to Beach Volleyball at the Olympics, and I will not ask Turf War players to switch to Splat Zones or Rainmaker at my touraments.

Another issue here that does not seem to be addressed is that you guys need to not only make the rules, but have compelling arguments for your rule sets to make before tournament runners. Many tournament runners know their game inside and out, and if you want them to change their rule set to your standards, you need to have a more compelling argument than this thread on Squidboards said so.
I'm not sure what you mean by Turf Wars being the default. If what you want to say is that Turf Wars is going to be the default for competitive I don't see why we can't give all the game modes a chance.

The Apple BOOM

Senior Squid
NNID
TheAppleBOOM
I'm not sure what you mean by Turf Wars being the default. If what you want to say is that Turf Wars is going to be the default for competitive I don't see why we can't give all the game modes a chance.
Sorry, I wasn't totally clear on that point. Turf War is the advertised main game mode of Splatoon. It's like singles in pokemon as opposed to doubles. People coming into a competitive setting will be most familiar with Turf War.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
Don't see much point in discussing this when we have no way of determining which is actually better right now. Seriously, until we can actually use these rulesets it's just one person's word against another. We don't even know how much control we have over the rules. This whole thread is ****ing pointless without data.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
Don't see much point in discussing this when we have no way of determining which is actually better right now. Seriously, until we can actually use these rulesets it's just one person's word against another. We don't even know how much control we have over the rules. This whole thread is ****ing pointless without data.
The whole point of this thread is to be progressive and talk things over before they become an issue than being reactionary and having to adjust rules when something comes up. So maybe it's a bit pointless right now, but it is certainly not "****ing" pointless.

Chiiab

Shy person
NNID
Chiiab
The whole point of this thread is to be progressive and talk things over before they become an issue than being reactionary and having to adjust rules when something comes up. So maybe it's a bit pointless right now, but it is certainly not "****ing" pointless.
Yeah, only kinda pointless. Choosing the game mode we're gonna use before we get a chance to try them all out seems a bit pointless. I was pretty sure it was gonna be SZ but not anymore. I want to keep an open mind going into this game as it is a new game with pretty unique mechanics.

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
We shouldn't be looking to pick "the best gametype", we should be looking to use all the gametypes that we find to be competitively viable. I don't know why people think we can only have 1 gametype, it's kind of silly.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
We shouldn't be looking to pick "the best gametype", we should be looking to use all the gametypes that we find to be competitively viable. I don't know why people think we can only have 1 gametype, it's kind of silly.
Because not a single fps or third person shooter uses every single game mode for a single tournament

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
Because not a single fps or third person shooter uses every single game mode for a single tournament
Most shooters use multiple gametypes.

Notice i didn't say "use them all". I said don't only choose one just to choose one.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
Most shooters use multiple gametypes.

Notice i didn't say "use them all". I said don't only choose one just to choose one.
those same shooters only use one gametype for competitive

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
those same shooters only use one gametype for competitive
Pls, you don't know what you're talking about man.

Halo Championship series uses, Slayer, CTF, Neutral Bomb, Oddball, King of the Hill for each tournament. In past halo games the same thing. In Black ops 2 Hardpoint, Search and Destroy and CTF were used for each tournament. In Advanced Warfare they use Hardpoint, CTF, Search and Destroy and Uplink. Gears of war 3 uses Team Deathmatch, Execution and King of the hill. etc. etc, etc. etc.

Multy-gametype tournaments are commonplace.

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
I disagree, I would hate to see turf war turned into a team death match. One of the big appeals of splatoon is that it's not focussed on kills. I think that kills should remain a secondary objective, and that making k/d ratio the deciding factor would actually reduce the strategy of turf war, as it would remove the map control aspects of the game, make the game too focussed on individual skill, centre around specific weapons, increase camping as a viable strategy and it would pretty much render the roller class useless. If you look at pretty much every competitive shooter (that I can think of) none of them use death match as one of their game modes (CS:GO, CoD, Halo)
Again I don't see why we shouldn't use all the game modes in one series if some people feel that one is better than the other then we can put more emphasis on that game mode. We could use a set order for gamemodes like:
turf war - splat zones - tower control - turf war - splat zones
or
splat zones - tower control - turf war - random - random (random so no emphasis is placed on any game modes)
I think a deathmatch gametype in splatoon would be very cool, but it would have to be it's own gametype, not just using turf wars.

Btw, Halo does use slayer in competitive (which is team deathmatch).

Chiiab

Shy person
NNID
Chiiab

Halo Championship series uses, Slayer, CTF, Neutral Bomb, Oddball, King of the Hill for each tournament. In past halo games the same thing. In Black ops 2 Hardpoint, Search and Destroy and CTF were used for each tournament. In Advanced Warfare they use Hardpoint, CTF, Search and Destroy and Uplink. Gears of war 3 uses Team Deathmatch, Execution and King of the hill. etc. etc, etc. etc.

Yeah but CS:GO uses only 1 game type man so we should copy them!!!1!

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV

yes because all those modes are extremely popular and has hundreds of tournaments using each specific game mode. And has 32+ teams in each of those tournaments for every mode

Funny how you try to be sarcastic about it, but you don't see profession CS:GO players being expected to be good at all the other modes offered on cs:go. Nor do you expect halo, BO2, AW, or GoW teams to be proficient in every single mode and play in every single mode for that tournament.

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
Lol, that's basically everyone
yes because all those modes are extremely popular and has hundreds of tournaments using each specific game mode. And has 32+ teams in each of those tournaments for every mode

Funny how you try to be sarcastic about it, but you don't see profession CS:GO players being expected to be good at all the other modes offered on cs:go. Nor do you expect halo, BO2, AW, or GoW teams to be proficient in every single mode and play in every single mode for that tournament.

geez man, you have no idea what you're talking about. You DO EXPECT Halo, Black ops 2, GoW etc. players to be good at each gametype, because if they aren't then they won't be winning. The games I listed are all games for which tournaments use all the gametypes I listed in the same bracket. Meaning in a Bo5 series you are playing multiple different gametypes. There aren't different brackets for each gametype.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom