• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Unreleased Gear (Datamining)

ToastMiller

Inkling
NNID
ToastMiller
Native American headdresses are pretty sacred in their culture and you have to earn your right to wear one. It's not a fashion accessory and shouldn't be treated like one, it's a fairly major topic right now.

Outside of the headdress all the clothes look pretty nice, I'm really interested in hearing what abilities they all have.
It's not like you're actually wearing an indian headdress. Your digital character from another dimension is, for all we know all the inklings might be indian chiefs. I happen to have conversed with a few Native people and they have no problem with me dressing up and acting like an Indian (long story).

Most of American Indian culture is in shambles nowadays. Nobody who uses the headdress costume will be doing it out of disrespect for the indians. It looks freaking awesome and is an ode to the indian culture and their beliefs. I sincerely hope this gets put in as I will definitely be using the heck out of it.

Senpai

Inkster Jr.
NNID
luigi8623
If it's controversy that tramples over a group's non-harmful beliefs, I would not say it's in the least pointless.
So it's controversial that a digital character that ISN'T REAL wears a digital headdress that happens to resemble a native American/Indian headdress? They're paying homage/respecting the Indian/Native culture by putting it in the game in the first place, not disrespecting and harming their cultures.

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
It's not like you're actually wearing an indian headdress. Your digital character from another dimension is, for all we know all the inklings might be indian chiefs. I happen to have conversed with a few Native people and they have no problem with me dressing up and acting like an Indian (long story).

Most of American Indian culture is in shambles nowadays. Nobody who uses the headdress costume will be doing it out of disrespect for the indians. It looks freaking awesome and is an ode to the indian culture and their beliefs. I sincerely hope this gets put in as I will definitely be using the heck out of it.
Sure, the squid people, unrelated to the extinct human race and who are relatively unaware of human culture in general running around squid Japan could TOTALLY be intended to be Native American. For sure.

As for Native American culture being in shambles, whose fault is that exactly? Could it be the people grabbing pieces of their culture with no context for the significance and turning it into a fashion statement? I'm sure that doesn't contribute to it at ALL. I'm sure it's a HUGE honor to see your sacred cultural icons get covered in ink, that's definitely super respectful.

Honestly a quick look at Wikipedia should be enough to highlight the issues with wearing a war bonnet if you aren't Native American and haven't earned the right to (or male since women don't wear them either).

Last edited:

Tyrfing

Senior Squid
Sure, the squid people, unrelated to the extinct human race and who are relatively unaware of human culture in general running around squid Japan could TOTALLY be intended to be Native American. For sure.

As for Native American culture being in shambles, whose fault is that exactly? Could it be the people grabbing pieces of their culture with no context for the significance and turning it into a fashion statement? I'm sure that doesn't contribute to it at ALL. I'm sure it's a HUGE honor to see your sacred cultural icons get covered in ink, that's definitely super respectful.
Aren't you a bit..welp. too sensitive about that headress? I'm pretty sure nobody cares about at all - as they probably don't care about a video game at all.
If Native Americans feel offended: Then they should go ahead and defend themselves - but as I said, I'm pretty sure, that they don't care at all. And they don't care about you throwing a tantrum, either.
By the way: That headress is a common headress for halloween and carnival (over here). And I do in fact know that there are a lot of kids wearing these headresses when playing "cowboy and native american" - I'm convinced they "have not earned the right to wear these" as well. So why don't you tell all of them that they are not allowed to do so?
Anyway, what I want to say: Stop being too sensitive. This is just a game, nobody wants to offend Native Americans - it is a game for children after all.

To the thread itself: I like those pieces of gear. Especially That scoped helmet, the feathers and that one red shirt. Can't wait for the helmet to get patched into the game. I want it - now!

Poxnixles

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Vitiel
Aren't you a bit..welp. too sensitive about that headress? I'm pretty sure nobody cares about at all - as they probably don't care about a video game at all.
If Native Americans feel offended: Then they should go ahead and defend themselves - but as I said, I'm pretty sure, that they don't care at all. And they don't care about you throwing a tantrum, either.
By the way: That headress is a common headress for halloween and carnival (over here). And I do in fact know that there are a lot of kids wearing these headresses when playing "cowboy and native american" - I'm convinced they "have not earned the right to wear these" as well. So why don't you tell all of them that they are not allowed to do so?
Anyway, what I want to say: Stop being too sensitive. This is just a game, nobody wants to offend Native Americans - it is a game for children after all.
The normalization of this is a problem. Saying "stop being too sensitive" is like knocking someone out, taking something that's theirs, and telling them to suck it up.

Tyrfing

Senior Squid
The normalization of this is a problem. Saying "stop being too sensitive" is like knocking someone out, taking something that's theirs, and telling them to suck it up.
As I have stated: If Native Americans feel offended, than they shoudl go ahead and defend themselves. That is their right and it would be the right thing to do.
However, being too sensitive, while not being offended yourself, claiming that someone would be offended is. welp I think it is just not necessary.
Maybe I've misread some of the parts, but I don't see a reason to argue about a headdress in a video game, when nobody is offended at all. It's just a harmless video game meant for childs - and it is definitely less offensive than a real life costume.

Now reading through my post, I realize that what I've said might seem a little rough/aggressive. If that is the case: My apologies. I do not intend to start an argument, I rather wanted to point out, that arguing about that is - in my eyes - somewhat unnecessary.

Small edit: I just think that nowadays, people start being too sensitive about so little things, while they could just.. ignore these things and live a relaxed life.

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
These look nice, some of these I'd actually wear - of course, not the Native American headdress out of respect to their culture.

@Draayder You are right, though @Tyrfing did make one good point in that we should moreso let Native Americans speak out about it, as our voice isn't theirs so to speak.

Chocoling

Pro Squid
NNID
Mystical-Tabby
the last two T-shirts look interesting, the rest is kinda meh.
the first boots however are part of the Hero armor!

Being from England, anything native america is kinda boring - i dont like that headgear :/
now a sailor uniform? SIGN ME UP!

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
@Draayder You are right, though @Tyrfing did make one good point in that we should moreso let Native Americans speak out about it, as our voice isn't theirs so to speak.
True, but hypothetically I doubt anyone would say you had to be black to say that it was terrible if they added in a KKK hood as headgear.

I recognize the idea behind not talking about things that don't directly affect you, but I think it applies better to not talking OVER people who are actively affected rather than not talking about it because you're not x. Silence aids the persecutor after all, plus some people just don't know why it might be an issue.

Senpai

Inkster Jr.
NNID
luigi8623
@AllOfYou As @Tyrfing said, if the Native Americans have a problem with it then Splatoon should remove it and apologize. Also, having a headdress that resembles a Native American headdress as a clothing item for a VIRTUAL CHARACTER doesn't promote disrespect to any culture. Also to all the people complaining about it, does this affect you or your friends/family in such an offensive way that you sincerely feel upset?

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
@AllOfYou As @Tyrfing said, if the Native Americans have a problem with it then Splatoon should remove it and apologize. Also, having a headdress that resembles a Native American headdress as a clothing item for a VIRTUAL CHARACTER doesn't promote disrespect to any culture. Also to all the people complaining about it, does this affect you or your friends/family in such an offensive way that you sincerely feel upset?
Congrats on your cultural appropriation BINGO!

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
Sorry just don't really get it :/
*Sigh* I know, and that's the sad part. SMH.

I left the article for anyone who is curious on why its offensive. Never said Nintendo should be crucified or people should stop playing Splatoon. Just noted that its offensive. Someone's ignorance on the issue doesn't change the fact. I said my piece now I'm done. Anyone who has questions for me/wants to discuss can PM.

Senpai

Inkster Jr.
NNID
luigi8623
*Sigh* I know, and that's the sad part. SMH.

I left the article for anyone who is curious on why its offensive. Never said Nintendo should be crucified or people should stop playing Splatoon. Just noted that its offensive. Someone's ignorance on the issue doesn't change the fact. I said my piece now I'm done. Anyone who has questions for me/wants to discuss can PM.
I meant that I don't understand what your message meant, you were taking my words out of context and I think I had a reasonable point, if my point is really "ignorant" please explain why? (btw I'm new and don't know how to pm, also I'm gonna play some CS:GO and won't be on SquidBoards for a while)

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
I meant that I don't understand what your message meant, you were taking my words out of context and I think I had a reasonable point, if my point is really "ignorant" please explain why? (btw I'm new and don't know how to pm, also I'm gonna play some CS:GO and won't be on SquidBoards for a while)
You can pm by clicking their name on a post and clicking 'start a conversation'.

The post they made was highlighting the fact that you were using very common, very tired arguments that try to defend cultural appropriation (taking from a culture you are not a part of without context or permission; attending a Japanese tea ceremony is NOT appropriation, wearing a shinto shrine maiden outfit cause it's cute is, etc ).

Ber

Full Squid
NNID
Bernee
Sorry, I was honestly just curious, didn't mean to derail the thread

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
I've got one last post to make re: cultural appropriation and why the headdress is a bad choice then I'll bow out and if anyone wants more clarification feel free to PM me.

To maybe explain what cultural appropriation is and why it sucks here's a comparison. Let's say a kid in the middle of China hears about this really cool thing the US does, a flag burning ceremony to retire their flag! Super cool! So they go out and order a brand new US flag, dunk it in gasoline, and toss it on a campfire. Wow, it flamed up really huge! No wonder this is something the US does, that's so cool!

Of course anyone who knows ANYTHING about the actual US flag burning ceremony would be horrified, you only do this with flags at the end of their life and you cut it into strips and burn them one stripe at a time and there's no gasoline. It's to honor the flag not to see something burn, this kid missed the entire point.

Now this kid in China didn't know this either through lack of research/talking to people from the culture or being young and not knowing any better, but it doesn't make it not pretty offensive to the actual culture it affects. This Chinese kid isn't a terrible awful person, they're just ignorant, however if someone tells them they're doing it wrong and what they're doing is actually pretty terrible and disrespectful to Americans they shouldn't respond with 'WELL IT'S NO BIG DEAL IT'S JUST A PIECE OF CLOTH IT'S NOT LIKE IT EVEN HURTS ANYONE QUIT THROWING A TANTRUM'.

But that is basically what's happening.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom