• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Weapon Strategy Types WIP

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I like the analysis on the seeker rush. I'll put down my opinion om it seeing as it's fairly new. While i'm at it, The Carbon Roller Deco and Rapid Blaster Deco too.

At long range, the enemy would of noticed a hoard of seekers coming towards them, Even if you aim the seekers while they're hiding, there would be enough room to maneuver, assuming if used defensively since in most situations you would be sending seekers into enemy territory. Its effectiveness tends to vary a lot, or you could be at the right place and at the right moment to get maximum effectiveness. Now putting into the context of the enemy team pushing, you'd need constant pressure to force the enemy to think twice about coming closer to a hoard of seekers. Though if the enemy is spread out, it might be tougher to accomplish since if one squid dodges a bunch and you're concentrating on another squid, you might find yourself in a bit of a pickle. So i think Active back was a good choice. Seeker rush is like Rapid Blasters at close range, if you can't aim it with its fire/deploy rate *Splat"... It's life or splat really.

Carbon Deco... Mmm, in my opinion. It still retains it's Assassin like qualities, but it has a less reliable escape with burst bombs and Inkzooka gone, so it can't be as effective on the killing front than the Normal Carbon Roller. Turfing front is viable, Seekers cover a decent amount of turf when used in the correct fashion, plus the main weapon itself is fast and can handle on it's on while spreading ink. It can be used on the back line defensively to ensure your side is always inked, plus seekers can put pressure on advancing opponents sorta like an active back. So combine what i thought, and you get mixed. That's how i see it anyway.

With the Rapid Blaster Deco, it was a good choice moving it from killing front to active back, there's hardly a chance for it if you're always trying to push, with an unreliable close quarters ability, it just can't last on the battlefield because it simply can't manage it. You could be surrounded, flanked, or generally aimed at by other killing front weapons. With two shots minimum i don't think it's possible to clear out the enemy team playing aggressively, i don't think you're always going to get two hits in, and Suction bombs can only do so much before you need to refill, which leaves you open if you can't manage your ink. So yeah Active back yay!
Rapid Blaster Deco is mid now, not active back. Its range is not nearly enough for it to function in the back entirely.

Yellowkirbyguy

Senior Squid
Rapid Blaster Deco is mid now, not active back. Its range is not nearly enough for it to function in the back entirely.
Ohh you're right, My mistake! thanks for that correction, i was off in my own world as i was typing about Rapid blaster deco.

Mid does seem like a spot for the Rapid blaster deco, I've only been playing with it rather defensively but on the moment calls for it (or when i think it does) i go on the offense. I guess i've been playing it defensively too much xD

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
Correction: The rapid blaster explosion happens at 3 lines on spot. Plus the explosion radius, It can actually damage opponents from a surprising 3.7 of range away.

Yellowkirbyguy

Senior Squid
Correction: The rapid blaster explosion happens at 3 lines on spot. Plus the explosion radius, It can actually damage opponents from a surprising 3.7 of range away.
Correct me if i'm wrong, isn't just a little more than the Slosher? if not just about equal?
That's pretty good for a blaster.

Only trouble is, the Slosher can do a lot of things better than the Rapid blaster Deco. Suction rush is the only thing that would be arguably better than the Slosher because of Inkstrike. (You know, you have to find safe cover to launch an Inkstrike while with the Suction rush can work pretty much anywhere where there's action going on.)

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
Correct me if i'm wrong, isn't just a little more than the Slosher? if not just about equal?
That's pretty good for a blaster.

Only trouble is, the Slosher can do a lot of things better than the Rapid blaster Deco. Suction rush is the only thing that would be arguably better than the Slosher because of Inkstrike. (You know, you have to find safe cover to launch an Inkstrike while with the Suction rush can work pretty much anywhere where there's action going on.)
No, the slosher can't even dream to hit that range. The slosher's maximum range when arcing is 3.2 lines of effective distance.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
After seeing myself and others use this weapon, I have personally decided that Carbon Roller Deco is a Killing Front type. Although Seekers can be used for Assassin purposes, most people see the Seekers being thrown and Seeker Rush is not sneaky in the slighest. The main weapon mixed with this setup is all about killing in the front lines, with a particular strength at flat maps and corridors.

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
Alright Ya little squids I have some updates to the chart:
Splattershot Pro and Forge Ver. To Mid: This change happened because I needed some consistency with how the categories worked. Weapons that can do both a Back role and a Front role effectively and does not lean too far towards either of these roles e.g. Gold Dynamo. Because Splattershot pro has a good range, It can efficiently play as an Active Back weapon as well.

I have put Custom range blaster as an Active Back weapon and Carbon Roller deco as a killing front weapon.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Alright Ya little squids I have some updates to the chart:
Splattershot Pro and Forge Ver. To Mid: This change happened because I needed some consistency with how the categories worked. Weapons that can do both a Back role and a Front role effectively and does not lean too far towards either of these roles e.g. Gold Dynamo. Because Splattershot pro has a good range, It can efficiently play as an Active Back weapon as well.

I have put Custom range blaster as an Active Back weapon and Carbon Roller deco as a killing front weapon.
The Custom E-Liter 3K Scope is a passive back, right?

Also, I would suggest moving Custom Range Blaster to mid, since the Kraken needs to get in close.

Wait wait wait wait WHAT THE ****? Who in the world thought that moving Rapid Blaster Deco to Passive Back would be a good idea? It makes no sense!!!!! Suction Bombs NEED TO BE IN THE KILL ZONE. This weapon can fight and win in a 1v1! Seriously, this weapon can't just stay in the back and not do too much. It needs to be in either killing front or mid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
Wait wait wait wait WHAT THE ****? Who in the world thought that moving Rapid Blaster Deco to Passive Back would be a good idea? It makes no sense!!!!! Suction Bombs NEED TO BE IN THE KILL ZONE. This weapon can fight and win in a 1v1! Seriously, this weapon can't just stay in the back and not do too much. It needs to be in either killing front or mid.
Wow, I did not see this. I must have accidentally hit a suggestion to correct. I will fix this. My apologies.

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
Now guys, there are two things that I wanted to talk about for along time now...

These are team composition with these strategy types and custom gear builds with these weapons. I have a theory about how these weapon types interact with each other. My theory is that these weapons exist in a natural harmony with each other. That is to say, when you pair them in a squad together, each with differing roles, they shine immensely with each other. However, I don't have the required man power to make such tests which means this remains only a hypothesis. In essence, if it is possible, could anyone here get their comrades to do these tests for me:
  • Balanced team: Turfing Front, Killing Front/Assassin, Mid, and Active/Passive Back weapons in one team.
  • Half and Half: Turfing Front, Killing Front, Active Back, and Passive Back in another.
  • Offensive: Any combination of Turfing and Killing Fronts (3), and a Mid
  • Defensive: Any combination of Active and Passive Backs (3), and a Mid
Now tell me your experiences with these team compositions on this thread.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
I'm afraid I'm not much help full team wise, because my squad and I are still messing around with what works/what we like, but me and my squad leader found that the vanilla/custom blaster and the tri slosher(reg slosher might work here too) work really well when paired together.

You could do a bubble buddies strategy, or etc etc, but the biggest thing to note is that we easily picked off enemies together and stole each others kills since both weapons are a 2hko. And to further talk about bubble buddies, custom blaster with its point sensors would locate the enemies for me and I'd disrupt them.

I'm sure that you can interchange the weapons though. reg blaster gets disruptors, and slosher could do burst cancelling things. Idk, just something I wanted to point out.

Not really sure what the last 2 teammates would use though.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I'm afraid I'm not much help full team wise, because my squad and I are still messing around with what works/what we like, but me and my squad leader found that the vanilla/custom blaster and the tri slosher(reg slosher might work here too) work really well when paired together.

You could do a bubble buddies strategy, or etc etc, but the biggest thing to note is that we easily picked off enemies together and stole each others kills since both weapons are a 2hko. And to further talk about bubble buddies, custom blaster with its point sensors would locate the enemies for me and I'd disrupt them.

I'm sure that you can interchange the weapons though. reg blaster gets disruptors, and slosher could do burst cancelling things. Idk, just something I wanted to point out.

Not really sure what the last 2 teammates would use though.
Personally, I'd say that the other two members should be a Splat Roller and a Jet Squelcher, when talking about the Custom Blaster and Tri-Slosher in question.

So, the Rapid Blaster Pro is coming tomorrow. With its given stats and the sub and special it has, this is definitely going to be an active back weapon. It doesn't really have any close range advantages and the fire rate is slower than the normal Rapid Blasters, making it less ideal for pushing.

Last edited:

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
My thoughts on the weapon would be that it is an active back weapon. The maximum range granted by this weapon is huge, being able to hit with its splash radius to about 4.2 - 4.3 lines of effective distance, which is the same as the effective distance for the Jet Squelcher and farther than the Heavy Splatling. This combined with the fact that it has a low fire rate compared to shooter type weapons cements this as a Back roll. Now the next question to answer whether or not this is an active back or a passive back. I personally recognize this weapon as an Active Back due to its seeker usage. Now a fact about this weapon is that you are roasted calamari at close ranges and another thing is that you won't have enough time to react with seekers. However, when your opponent is closing in from mid-long or mid-range into mid and close range respectively, one will have enough time to force them away with a seeker or possibly kill them. One thing that I have noticed about seekers is that they prefer to take down opponents at mid+ ranges. In essence, this weapon while it normally gives off the vibes of Passive Back, is actually an Active Back. What is really needed is strong situation analysis and good reaction time so that seekers can work their magic.

Also we should take note of the range buff that H-3 Nozzlenose is getting as it will now tie with the other longer ranged shooters for effective range.

Last edited by a moderator:

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
My thoughts on the weapon would be that it is an active back weapon. The maximum range granted by this weapon is huge, being able to hit with its splash radius to about 4.2 - 4.3 lines of effective distance, which is the same as the effective distance for the Jet Squelcher and farther than the Heavy Splatling. This combined with the fact that it has a low fire rate compared to shooter type weapons cements this as a Back roll. Now the next question to answer whether or not this is an active back or a passive back. I personally recognize this weapon as an Active Back due to its seeker usage. Now a fact about this weapon is that you are roasted calamari at close ranges and another thing is that you won't have enough time to react with seekers. However, when your opponent is closing in from mid-long or mid-range into mid and close range respectively, one will have enough time to force them away with a seeker or possibly kill them. One thing that I have noticed about seekers is that they prefer to take down opponents at mid+ ranges. In essence, this weapon while it normally gives off the vibes of Passive Back, is actually an Active Back. What is really needed is strong situation analysis and good reaction time so that seekers can work their magic.
Also we should take note of the range buff that H-3 Nozzlenose is getting as it will now tie with the other longer ranged shooters for effective range.
I agree; active back is where the Rapid Blaster Pro is at. It really only performs well at long range. And as for the H-3 Nozzlenose getting a range buff, although I think the normal should stick to assassin given its loadout, the H-3 D will almost certainly become an active back weapon too.

Last edited:

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Hey @Smoothshake317 can you specify that it's the Bamboozler 14 MK I in the mid section? I specifically say this because, given its loadout, the MK II will probably be a Killing Front type, instead of a mid like the I.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom