• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

What are your top five favorite Nintendo games of all time?

CM86

Pro Squid
Hello squids. I want to know your top five favorite Nintendo games ever. You can include Splatoon if you would like. If it is to hard to just pick five, you may extend it to 10. Try to make it a top five (or ten) in the sense that 1 is your favorite game ever, 2 is your second favorite game ever, etc. If you would like, you may explain why they are your favorites.

Here is mine :

1. Earthbound (Mother 2)
2. Pokemon Crystal
3. Simcity (super Nintendo version)
4. Paper Mario Thousand Year Door
5. Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii version)

I liked Xenoblade Chronicles before smash Wii u was a thing. Great story. Great characters. The paper mario series is very near and dear to me (except sticker star). It was hard to choose between the thousand year door and the N64 version. Not to gloat or anything, but I consider myself an expert at Simcity for the super nintendo in terms of game mechanics so if you ever have questions about it don't hesitate to ask :). I also used to play it with my cousins growing up. Pokemon crystal is my favorite Pokemon game ever. During the summer me and my cousin played this game all day. Earthbound was a game I played with my cousins growing up too and I still play it. Everything about it is brilliant.

Splatoon almost took the fifth spot. I love the idea and still can not stop playing it. 20 years from now I will still hold it as one of my favorites because I like it that much. Unfortunately, some classics made it be 6 in a list for me.

Your turn!

Jei-Cos

Full Squid
NNID
JeiCos
This is actually a hard question lol Let me see..
5. Hyrule Warriors [WiiU]
4. Bravely Default [3DS]
3. [Etrain Mystery Dungeon [3Ds]
2. Stella Glow [3DS]
1. Super Mario World [SNES]
Ok so no it wasn't as hard as I though lol I actually have Super Mario World IN the SNES on my floor..I have all 3 of those 3DS games, as well as Hyrule Warriors, on my Nintendo backdrop area for YouTube, where they are ALL facing forward so the camera shows their covers, lol
2.jpg

CM86

Pro Squid
This is actually a hard question lol Let me see..
5. Hyrule Warriors [WiiU]
4. Bravely Default [3DS]
3. [Etrain Mystery Dungeon [3Ds]
2. Stella Glow [3DS]
1. Super Mario World [SNES]
Ok so no it wasn't as hard as I though lol I actually have Super Mario World IN the SNES on my floor..I have all 3 of those 3DS games, as well as Hyrule Warriors, on my Nintendo backdrop area for YouTube, where they are ALL facing forward so the camera shows their covers, lol
View attachment 3221
I dig your Nintendo setup there, especially the flareon (of all things right?). Super Mario World is one of my friends favorite games ever. I spent one night watching him 100% that game. Funny enough, I have never beat that game. When I was growing up, I would always start over after getting to the boo house because I did not know how to beat it. It never occurred to me to just look it up, but this was before youtube was a thing and the internet was young. I'm sure I could beat it now, but have never got around to it.

Jei-Cos

Full Squid
NNID
JeiCos
I dig your Nintendo setup there, especially the flareon (of all things right?). Super Mario World is one of my friends favorite games ever. I spent one night watching him 100% that game. Funny enough, I have never beat that game. When I was growing up, I would always start over after getting to the boo house because I did not know how to beat it. It never occurred to me to just look it up, but this was before youtube was a thing and the internet was young. I'm sure I could beat it now, but have never got around to it.
Thank you. I like backgrounds..Like..A little TOO much..lol But so far I only have one video using that background. I have another background that I use that's got my PS3/4 and my Hyperdimension Neptunia stuffs and my anime figures.

That game is near impossible to 100%..I hate the Special World. I can beat Star Road in like 10 minutes, but that world Tubular in the Special World, I just can NEVER beat. No one I know can either. We all suck with the P Balloon lol Worst! Power! Up! Ever!

kickpunchr

Inkster Jr.
NNID
littlemissy1756
Oh wow, I never actually thought about it. Let's see...

Zelda Majora's Mask (also my 2nd favorite game of all time)

Splatoon (I've spent a stupid amount of time on this game XD)

Mario Bros. 3 (The most charming 2D Mario game, IMO)

Mario 64 (The game I credit for making me more than a casual gamer)

Donkey Kong Country 3 (the game I bonded with my husband over)

I almost put Smash Bros in there, but unfortunately, the local scene has kind of ruined it for me : /

And actually, I would love some SimCity tips!

Bio_liquid0

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Bio_liquid0
Any Kirby game
Bayonetta 2 (if not Wind Waker)
Pokemon Black 2
Mario Kart
Metroid Prime 2

CM86

Pro Squid
Oh wow, I never actually thought about it. Let's see...

Zelda Majora's Mask (also my 2nd favorite game of all time)

Splatoon (I've spent a stupid amount of time on this game XD)

Mario Bros. 3 (The most charming 2D Mario game, IMO)

Mario 64 (The game I credit for making me more than a casual gamer)

Donkey Kong Country 3 (the game I bonded with my husband over)

I almost put Smash Bros in there, but unfortunately, the local scene has kind of ruined it for me : /

And actually, I would love some SimCity tips!
If you are definitely talking about Simcity for the super Nintendo with Dr. Wright, then I would gladly give you some tips!

chrisbg99

Inkster Jr.
NNID
chrisbg99
T1. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time - I really can't decide. I've spent a large amount of time playing these games for two decades.
3. EarthBound - My first RPG love and arguably my most obsessed over game.
4. Metroid Prime - While I had played Metroid before this was the one that made me a fan.
5. Super Mario 64 - I remember the hype and build up for this. So beloved.
6. Super Smash Bros. Melee - I put so much time into this by my lonesome wouldn't be matched until Splatoon.
7. Conker's Bad Fur Day - So vulgar and fun.
8. Super Mario Bros. 3 - I'm pretty sure we got this when we got our NES. Pretty much is what made me a permanent Nintendo fan.
9. Yoshi's Island - Such a beautifully animated game and so fun to play.
10. Splatoon - The most recent game (obviously) 450 hours since May 29th. Never thought I'd have this much fun with an online heavy game.

I lean pretty heavy on my retro and older beloved game but really it is so hard to quantify how much I enjoyed new games compared to older ones. And where to plug them in on a list.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
I change this so much but here's what it is right now
5.Super Mario Sunshine
4.Wind Waker
3.Banjo Tooie
2.Majora's Mask
1.Banjo-Kazooie

SyMag

SOLDIER 1st Class
NNID
PKThunda
1. EarthBound - my username is based on EarthBound/Smash Bros., as is my avatar. Need I say more?

2. Super Mario Bros. 3 - I could play this game blindfolded. This and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 were the first games I ever played; SMB3 was the first game I ever beat. I still have memories of coming home from school and watching my mom play this game when I was 5. She taught me all the secrets she knew, which was most of them, and even though she's forgotten them, I haven't.

3. Super Smash Bros. (in general) - Competitive Smash is love, competitive Smash is life.

4. Pokémon Silver Version - yes my first Pokémon game was Blue Version, but I still have the fondest memories of Silver. Something about being able to go to the Kanto region, and the Pokémon in Gen 2 are so well-designed and all-around bada** (Lugia is still my favorite legendary). It was the first game where I almost completed the Pokédex (247/251 before the data corrupted :( ). Gen 2 fo' lyfe.

5. Super Mario World - this, along with Star Fox and Donkey Kong Country, were played nonstop at my grandma's house. It's what drove me to eventually get my own SNES console for Christmas in 2008. It's been a year since I've tried it again, but I've managed to get 100% completion in about 4 hours :)

TeaBee

Inkster Jr.
NNID
BuzzyTeaBee
  1. Bomberman. I first met bomberman on the N64 (Bomberman 64), then I got the sequel and Bomberman Hero (which had platforming and I got for Christmas). I also got Bomberman Generation for the gamecube and "Bomberman" & "Bomberman land" for the Ds. I've never played bomberman Jetters for the gamecube. My last game was from the Nintendo Wii and it's a shame that only the japanese version had a story.
  2. Megaman (Classic, X, Legends, Network, Zero, Starforce, and ZX) and yes Megaman x7. I've never played megaman 9&10 and have only played Megaman & Bass on an emulator via PSP.
  3. Star Fox franchise (all 5 games including ones that weren't released or developed by Rare). The first time I met Star Fox was by playing the first character I chose in Super Smash Bros on the N64. It's crazy but I'm kind of devoted to the character, I searched for the Wii U game with a plan involving a route through each store that had video games.
  4. Sonic, mostly the adventure series including Sonic 06 (I can't get into the speed burst, it feels "off") I've played the advance games, and have two of the collections from the gamecube.
  5. I can't quite say what my fifth favorite game is, I could say super smash brothers but my preference of it has diminshed after brawl and the Wii U. I'm not saying their bad, but my experience has made them unsavoury. Brawl is great and I wanted to play it with others, but most of the time all we ever did was play matches on Final Destination which led me to detest the stage to a certain degree. The stage was great at first, but repeatedly playing it desensitized the ambience it contained. It also didn't help that 90% of the people I played with alienated items and everything else Smash Bros Brawl had to offer. The Wii U Smash Brothers, in a sense, felt "empty". The announcement of the game along with the internet (including Nintendo Direct) left no surprise in what was in Smash Bros Wii U. It did not give me a feeling of immersion to be shown all playable characters. What also disappointed me was that this game did not have a story like the 2 games prior to this one. For me, not knowing what's up ahead gives out opporunities on how you feel or react and it gives you a chance on multiple outcomes. In short, it gives me meaning and a drive to persevere challenges, which could explain why I don't like spoilers. To me it feels like I'm being rewarded without puting any effort. In conclusion, Smash Brothers for me wasn't just any game it was an adventure where anything was possible including fun. Also to whoever is reading this, I'm not saying smash brothers is a bad and you may not agree with how I see this game, all I wish is that you understand my point of view on this. People have something they cherish or hold dear and I'm no different. Other than that, I will make sure to resepect another person's perspective as long as they do the same.

G

girigiriHERO

I'll name these in no particular order

Super Mario Land (GB). My parents purchased me a Gameboy when it was first released and I got this and Castlevania Adventure. I re-d/led it for the 3DS VC and beat it in around one hour, but I love the music and how bizarre it is overall.

The Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening. Prior to this I had only played Zelda 2: Link's Adventure surprisingly, so I was amazed at how good this one. Many a days I stayed up playing it until one day I did it 100% (all sea shells and heart pieces etc) in 2 days without dying.

Donkey Kong Country. I played this game with my brother a lot, it was one of the few times we never got in a fight as we were co-operating to beat the game.

Animal Crossing New Leaf. My now SO was the reason I bought this. We played this for an insane amount of hours hunting bugs on the island and even exploiting the money glitch to buy all of Gracie's furniture.

Splatoon. This is the main reason my brother and I are so close. We play this game weekly and since we aren't living near each other couch co-op isn't a thing (even though it's not in Splatoon). Even when I'm full of salt I can't bring myself to quit because I'd miss playing it with him.

Posso

Senior Squid
NNID
Minty_Blaziken
Here's mine:
5.Pokemon X/Y
4.Super Mario RPG
3. Xenoblade Chronicles
2. MegaMan X
1. Splatoon

kickpunchr

Inkster Jr.
NNID
littlemissy1756
  1. Bomberman. I first met bomberman on the N64 (Bomberman 64), then I got the sequel and Bomberman Hero (which had platforming and I got for Christmas). I also got Bomberman Generation for the gamecube and "Bomberman" & "Bomberman land" for the Ds. I've never played bomberman Jetters for the gamecube. My last game was from the Nintendo Wii and it's a shame that only the japanese version had a story.
  2. Megaman (Classic, X, Legends, Network, Zero, Starforce, and ZX) and yes Megaman x7. I've never played megaman 9&10 and have only played Megaman & Bass on an emulator via PSP.
  3. Star Fox franchise (all 5 games including ones that weren't released or developed by Rare). The first time I met Star Fox was by playing the first character I chose in Super Smash Bros on the N64. It's crazy but I'm kind of devoted to the character, I searched for the Wii U game with a plan involving a route through each store that had video games.
  4. Sonic, mostly the adventure series including Sonic 06 (I can't get into the speed burst, it feels "off") I've played the advance games, and have two of the collections from the gamecube.
  5. I can't quite say what my fifth favorite game is, I could say super smash brothers but my preference of it has diminshed after brawl and the Wii U. I'm not saying their bad, but my experience has made them unsavoury. Brawl is great and I wanted to play it with others, but most of the time all we ever did was play matches on Final Destination which led me to detest the stage to a certain degree. The stage was great at first, but repeatedly playing it desensitized the ambience it contained. It also didn't help that 90% of the people I played with alienated items and everything else Smash Bros Brawl had to offer. The Wii U Smash Brothers, in a sense, felt "empty". The announcement of the game along with the internet (including Nintendo Direct) left no surprise in what was in Smash Bros Wii U. It did not give me a feeling of immersion to be shown all playable characters. What also disappointed me was that this game did not have a story like the 2 games prior to this one. For me, not knowing what's up ahead gives out opporunities on how you feel or react and it gives you a chance on multiple outcomes. In short, it gives me meaning and a drive to persevere challenges, which could explain why I don't like spoilers. To me it feels like I'm being rewarded without puting any effort. In conclusion, Smash Brothers for me wasn't just any game it was an adventure where anything was possible including fun. Also to whoever is reading this, I'm not saying smash brothers is a bad and you may not agree with how I see this game, all I wish is that you understand my point of view on this. People have something they cherish or hold dear and I'm no different. Other than that, I will make sure to resepect another person's perspective as long as they do the same.
A few friends and I discussed kind of a similar feeling that you have around Smash for WiiU. It seems to us that back during Brawl's lifetime, more people in the Smash community were more interested in friendly competition and funding their own unique fighting style in a game that was more methodical. And there was just generally more enthusiasm with fans creating animation and fan fiction and memes. But now, people are only interested in this like frame data, and whatever flavor-of-the-week tier listings are. There are no surprises, because with each update, the patch notes are posted on the internet, age then people complain about them. But most detrimental, in my opinion is that stupid "git gud" attitude that plagues so many games with a competitive community.

Last edited:

Magnus0

Pro Squid
I really don´t like lists, because I like different games for different reasons.Many games I played just can´t be compared really, so my ´list´ is in no particular order. I will also exclude really obvious choises, like Mario 64/Galaxy, every Zelda game ever, the main pokemon games, Smash, etc. I mean, everyone knows that those are amazing games, so I'll try to come up with some more obscure or underrated games that I really liked.

1. Mario and Luigi, Bowser's inside story.

This is one of my favorite Mario games, and it really didn't get the attention it deserves. Mario isn't a douch to his brother, like he is in most other games, and Luigi's personality really shines in this game. The dialoges and animations are hilarious, and the battle system is great. I liked the story, especially that Bowser and the brothers had to work together to beat Fawful. On top of that you get stellar visuals and soundtrack, and an epic final boss battle.

2. Pokemon Collosseum

This game desperately needs a remake. It dared to try something different with a franchise we all know and love. The story and setting were both quite dark an menacing, which was for the better. While this game still had the same pokemon gameplay as the main games, it was a totally different experience. It also has a good soundtrack, and uhm... interesting characters (If you played this game, you KNOW who I'm talking about).

3. pokemon black and white

Okay, so I said that I would't mention main pokemon games, but I can't bring myself to not give special mention to the most underrated pokemon generation. From a proffesional standpoint, gen 5 is by far the best gen. It's the most developed pokemon game, with an actual story and character development and good visuals and interesting pokemon and a beyond amazing soundtrack and a heartwarming atmosphere and a decent difficulty curve and lots of personality and awesome places to visit and and... and so much more. Can a pile of trash, a weasel on drugs, an floating ice cream and some lamps or gears really spoil an entire game? I don't think so. I still prefer Soul Silver because of nostalgia, but I can't deny that gen 5 is really the best gen.

4. Splatoon.

Well, duhuh

5. Kirby's epic yarn

I had sooo much fun playing this with my sister as a kid. This game brought us together and we actually played together for once. And we also actually worked together to beat the game. This is probably the best happy go lucky game I've played, it's just so cute.

Also, OMG the waddle dees are the most cutestest things ever! I would actively try to avoid unwrapping them because it made me sad... good times

So again, this list is in no particular order. These are just some games that I really liked, from the top of my head. .

kickpunchr

Inkster Jr.
NNID
littlemissy1756
I really don´t like lists, because I like different games for different reasons.Many games I played just can´t be compared really, so my ´list´ is in no particular order. I will also exclude really obvious choises, like Mario 64/Galaxy, every Zelda game ever, the main pokemon games, Smash, etc. I mean, everyone knows that those are amazing games, so I'll try to come up with some more obscure or underrated games that I really liked.

This is one of my favorite Mario games, and it really didn't get the attention it deserves. Mario isn't a douch to his brother, like he is in most other games, and Luigi's personality really shines in this game. The dialoges and animations are hilarious, and the battle system is great. I liked the story, especially that Bowser and the brothers had to work together to beat Fawful. On top of that you get stellar visuals and soundtrack, and an epic final boss battle.

2. Pokemon Collosseum

This game desperately needs a remake. It dared to try something different with a franchise we all know and love. The story and setting were both quite dark an menacing, which was for the better. While this game still had the same pokemon gameplay as the main games, it was a totally different experience. It also has a good soundtrack, and uhm... interesting characters (If you played this game, you KNOW who I'm talking about).

Okay, so I said that I would't mention main pokemon games, but I can't bring myself to not give special mention to the most underrated pokemon generation. From a proffesional standpoint, gen 5 is by far the best gen. It's the most developed pokemon game, with an actual story and character development and good visuals and interesting pokemon and a beyond amazing soundtrack and a heartwarming atmosphere and a decent difficulty curve and lots of personality and awesome places to visit and and... and so much more. Can a pile of trash, a weasel on drugs, an floating ice cream and some lamps or gears really spoil an entire game? I don't think so. I still prefer Soul Silver because of nostalgia, but I can't deny that gen 5 is really the best gen.

4. Splatoon.

Well, duhuh

5. Kirby's epic yarn

I had sooo much fun playing this with my sister as a kid. This game brought us together and we actually played together for once. And we also actually worked together to beat the game. This is probably the best happy go lucky game I've played, it's just so cute.

Also, OMG the waddle dees are the most cutestest things ever! I would actively try to avoid unwrapping them because it made me sad... good times

So again, this list is in no particular order. These are just some games that I really liked, from the top of my head. .
Pokemon Colosseum really is underappreciated : (

G

girigiriHERO

5. Kirby's epic yarn

Also, OMG the waddle dees are the most cutestest things ever! I would actively try to avoid unwrapping them because it made me sad... good times.
I strongly recommend Yoshi's Woolly World if you haven't played it yet. It almost feels like a sequel to KEY.

Kotobomb

Inkling
NNID
SeraphX

2. Pokemon Collosseum

4. Splatoon.

Well, duhuh

5. Kirby's epic yarn

I bet you were talking about Miror B at the colosseum part. lol
Okay so my list wad tough to decide but here goes:
5. Pokemon Colosseum: don't know why this game doesn't get much attention or love. To me it is brilliant. Black/White always take credit for their "story" (tbh i find it horrible and I despise b/w) but colosseum had a really dark side to it, where you basically live in the underworld of pokemon. Difficulty wise it can be really harsh since some bosses have crazy strategies. Music is amazing and definitely deserves more attention (cipher peon battle? Semifinal colosseum battle?)

4. Megaman X2: I just had to add a Megaman game here... the pick was hard since there are so many that come to mind when I'm trying to pick a favourite (ZX advent, Megaman 10, Zero 1, Star Force 3) but X2 simply takes it for how brilliant its fast paced action is. OST is stellar and one of my faves

3. Xenoblade Chronicles: this game is special to me because of how good it is at making you really care about what's going on. It is an adventure that you can take at your own pace, exploring everything there is to see... breathtaking enviroments, awesome characters, otherwordly music... the list goes on and on and on. The plot is amazing and unexpected and even if it is a really long game it is always a pleasure to play through

2. Majora's Mask: best Zelda title in my opinion. The world of Termina may be small but it is full of things to do and little details that make this game really emotional and makes it feel alive. The puzzles are well designed and it has the most serious tone on a Zelda game...
What makes this game really shine are the people of Termina, their fears, their struggles, their hope and how they react to a doomed destiny, how you end up attached to them. A real marvel of gaming

1. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: I am a big MH fangirl and I love every game on the franchise... it is just so much fun to gather your friends and kill some monsters. The designs of weapons, armor and the monsters themselves has no equal, the music is amazing and the gameplay is so addicting and rewarding. I love how you feel more powerful everytime you conquer something new, everytime you make new equipment... it is a really unforgiving game and it starts out slow but once you're hooked, you're hooked.
Waiting for MH Generations which I know will be amazing too

NNID
DivaHeich
In no particular order:

Mario Party 7
Legend of Zelda: twilight princess
Mario kart Super Circuit
Super Smash bros melee
Animal Crossing New Leaf

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom