1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

What do Inklings eat?

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by BandanaWaddleDee, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Summerlycoris

Summerlycoris Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    summerlycoris
    They eat chips and coconuts. Also takoyaki from the looks of the cans near the entrance to Octo Valley.

2. SalsaSavant

SalsaSavant Full Squid

I think Kelp Dome is a kelp growing plant, for them to...eat Kelp. The Squid Sisters talk about how they hate vegetables when talk about that map

3. Zoot

Zoot Inkling Commander

NNID:
    IveGotAMegaphone
    The café in the plaza has pictures of donuts and frappés displayed, so they definitely like sweet stuff.

Zovnig likes this.
  4. Zovnig

Zovnig Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Zovnig
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-7684-8628-6291
    Well i know it would seem pretty canibalistic if the squids eat this, but i love dried squid and buy it whenever i'm visiting asia. Maybe the kids eat this to become better squids? :D

[​IMG]

5. Tadashi

Tadashi Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Dragoon29
    Considering the fact that Inkopolis is based on Tokyo, it would make perfect sense for Inklings to eat sushi – including octopus sushi. And since DJ Octavio was originally going to be a sushi chef, it's likely that the Octarians would eat Inklings as well. Also, "farming salmon for eggs" sounds an awful lot like Salmon Run in Splatoon 2, so maybe the Inklings eat Salmonids, too. And of course they'd also eat crabs.

#25 Tadashi, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  6. inkcan

inkcan Semi-Pro Squid

The Inklings and Octolings are confirmed to be carnivorous.

7. Tadashi

Tadashi Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Dragoon29
    Nah, I'm pretty sure the Inklings evolved to be omnivores. Why else would they grow crops in places like Kelp Dome?

8. Makeshift

Makeshift Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    rosesarered14
    In the Splatoon artbook, there's a page under Kelp Dome that talks about how Inklings have a passion for fruit and lists the different kinds of fruits they have.

"Squid Leg Grape: (August - October) Firm and chewy like a gummy.

Squid Fin Lemon: (Perennial) Fin-like part is bitter. The bigger the fins and the more symmetrical they are, the better. Said to be good luck to eat them. Perfect for a gift.

Squid Orange: (June - November) The edible fruit is moderately tasty. Normally the skin is cut up and served with noodles.

Squiddymelon: (June - August) Sweet and watery. An interesting fruit that changes color when you put ink on it. Shooting at a Squiddymelon while blindfolded is a popular summertime activity (mostly the least amount of shots it takes to break it open. You won't know what color is inside until you shoot it open).

Squid Leaf/Squidage: Looks like squid when you pull it out [of the ground].

Squidkin

Squidplant

Tomato"

Ember-Wisp and ZEROrevive like this.
  9. Yoshima!

Yoshima! Inkling

( Super late, but I found this thread when I needed this info for a fan fiction. ) In Splatoon 2, Pearl says something about her loving cake, but she also likes Octo Pie. ( Of course, Marina gets super offended. ) Which proves that Inklings in fact do eat Octarians and/or octolings.

Yin_ likes this.
  10. Makeshift

Makeshift Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    rosesarered14
    Yea I saw that too. It really raises some questions...

11. Peptobislawl

Peptobislawl Inkling

It's probably just an Octarian recipe, like how American cheese doesn't actually contain Americans. At least I hope it doesn't...

My running theory is that there's still unevolved Squid and Octopi around alongside the Inklings and Octarians. That would explain the Japanese sushi splatfest, at least. The bigger question is what they make Burgers and Hot Dogs out of.

Annie Choic likes this.
  12. Joseph Staleknight

Joseph Staleknight Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    JStaleknight
    Manatee beef? My headcanon is that the manatees also migrated onto land but never developed sapience like other species. Eventually, they became more "cow" than "sea", developing a flesh that the Inklings and Octarians found extremely delicious when cooked.

Hero of Lime likes this.
  13. Yoshima!

Yoshima! Inkling

Yeah, that would make sense. Manatees are literally called Sea Cows. They're mammals, so I can see the Squid and Octopi making beef related foods from them. Maybe they even have some sort of sauce for the meat close to barbecue sauce?

14. J'Wiz

J'Wiz Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    JWiz
    Males obviously eat spaghetti.

15. Raxel920

Raxel920 Full Squid

If Octarians are grown from cut Octoling tentacles, I would assume that this is where they get Squid/Octo meat from. Yes, it's like eating your hair, if your hair was delicious.

16. HighColorSunset

HighColorSunset Full Squid

NNID:
    AmazingStrange9
    Maybe they fry and eat their hair after they get a haircut...? It's weird, though...:p

17. Belial

Belial Full Squid

Surprised no one brought up the Splatoon manga yet. Right in the first volume there's a running gag about eating curry rice on the field. so Inkling must eat a good amount of curry. An average Japanese family eats it 5 times a month.

18. HighColorSunset

HighColorSunset Full Squid

NNID:
    AmazingStrange9
    Could it also be possibly that regular, unevolved sea creatures exist at the Inklings' disposal?

19. splat11

splat11 Inkling

I honestly think that it could be a mixture of both, but i'm not really sure

20. splat11

splat11 Inkling

I think that they eat sushi and ramen. because the game is based off Japanese culture