• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

What do Inklings eat?

Summerlycoris

Inkster Jr.
NNID
summerlycoris
They eat chips and coconuts. Also takoyaki from the looks of the cans near the entrance to Octo Valley.

SalsaSavant

Full Squid
I think Kelp Dome is a kelp growing plant, for them to...eat Kelp. The Squid Sisters talk about how they hate vegetables when talk about that map

Zovnig

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Zovnig
Switch Friend Code
SW-7684-8628-6291
Well i know it would seem pretty canibalistic if the squids eat this, but i love dried squid and buy it whenever i'm visiting asia. Maybe the kids eat this to become better squids? :D

Tadashi

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Dragoon29
Octarians of course.

But I think it'd be a mix of humanized squid food- so like sushi or seafood that's similar to other food we have. I get a feeling they must farm salmon for eggs and other sea life like livestock.
Considering the fact that Inkopolis is based on Tokyo, it would make perfect sense for Inklings to eat sushi – including octopus sushi. And since DJ Octavio was originally going to be a sushi chef, it's likely that the Octarians would eat Inklings as well. Also, "farming salmon for eggs" sounds an awful lot like Salmon Run in Splatoon 2, so maybe the Inklings eat Salmonids, too. And of course they'd also eat crabs.

Last edited:

inkcan

Semi-Pro Squid
The Inklings and Octolings are confirmed to be carnivorous.

Tadashi

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Dragoon29
The Inklings and Octolings are confirmed to be carnivorous.
Nah, I'm pretty sure the Inklings evolved to be omnivores. Why else would they grow crops in places like Kelp Dome?

Makeshift

Inkster Jr.
NNID
rosesarered14
In the Splatoon artbook, there's a page under Kelp Dome that talks about how Inklings have a passion for fruit and lists the different kinds of fruits they have.

"Squid Leg Grape: (August - October) Firm and chewy like a gummy.

Squid Fin Lemon: (Perennial) Fin-like part is bitter. The bigger the fins and the more symmetrical they are, the better. Said to be good luck to eat them. Perfect for a gift.

Squid Orange: (June - November) The edible fruit is moderately tasty. Normally the skin is cut up and served with noodles.

Squiddymelon: (June - August) Sweet and watery. An interesting fruit that changes color when you put ink on it. Shooting at a Squiddymelon while blindfolded is a popular summertime activity (mostly the least amount of shots it takes to break it open. You won't know what color is inside until you shoot it open).

Squid Leaf/Squidage: Looks like squid when you pull it out [of the ground].

Squidkin

Squidplant

Tomato"

Yoshima!

Inkling
( Super late, but I found this thread when I needed this info for a fan fiction. ) In Splatoon 2, Pearl says something about her loving cake, but she also likes Octo Pie. ( Of course, Marina gets super offended. ) Which proves that Inklings in fact do eat Octarians and/or octolings.

Makeshift

Inkster Jr.
NNID
rosesarered14
( Super late, but I found this thread when I needed this info for a fan fiction. ) In Splatoon 2, Pearl says something about her loving cake, but she also likes Octo Pie. ( Of course, Marina gets super offended. ) Which proves that Inklings in fact do eat Octarians and/or octolings.
Yea I saw that too. It really raises some questions...

Peptobislawl

Inkling
It's probably just an Octarian recipe, like how American cheese doesn't actually contain Americans. At least I hope it doesn't...

My running theory is that there's still unevolved Squid and Octopi around alongside the Inklings and Octarians. That would explain the Japanese sushi splatfest, at least. The bigger question is what they make Burgers and Hot Dogs out of.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
The bigger question is what they make Burgers and Hot Dogs out of.
Manatee beef? My headcanon is that the manatees also migrated onto land but never developed sapience like other species. Eventually, they became more "cow" than "sea", developing a flesh that the Inklings and Octarians found extremely delicious when cooked.

Yoshima!

Inkling
Manatee beef? My headcanon is that the manatees also migrated onto land but never developed sapience like other species. Eventually, they became more "cow" than "sea", developing a flesh that the Inklings and Octarians found extremely delicious when cooked.
Yeah, that would make sense. Manatees are literally called Sea Cows. They're mammals, so I can see the Squid and Octopi making beef related foods from them. Maybe they even have some sort of sauce for the meat close to barbecue sauce?

Raxel920

Full Squid
If Octarians are grown from cut Octoling tentacles, I would assume that this is where they get Squid/Octo meat from. Yes, it's like eating your hair, if your hair was delicious.

HighColorSunset

Pro Squid
NNID
AmazingStrange9
Switch Friend Code
SW-0416-0878-7104
If Octarians are grown from cut Octoling tentacles, I would assume that this is where they get Squid/Octo meat from. Yes, it's like eating your hair, if your hair was delicious.
Maybe they fry and eat their hair after they get a haircut...? It's weird, though...:P

Belial

Full Squid
Surprised no one brought up the Splatoon manga yet. Right in the first volume there's a running gag about eating curry rice on the field. so Inkling must eat a good amount of curry. An average Japanese family eats it 5 times a month.

HighColorSunset

Pro Squid
NNID
AmazingStrange9
Switch Friend Code
SW-0416-0878-7104
Could it also be possibly that regular, unevolved sea creatures exist at the Inklings' disposal?

splat11

Inkling
I honestly think that it could be a mixture of both, but i'm not really sure

splat11

Inkling
I think that they eat sushi and ramen. because the game is based off Japanese culture

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom