• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

What do you consider, "Disrespectful"?

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
More seriously... Taking advantage of a completely disadvantaged team just to screw with them is completely disrespectful and shows horrible sportsmanship. :( The other day, my friend and I were doing a twin. During one match, the other twin disconnected at the start of the match so it was a known 2v4. The other team decided to troll us. They wouldn't end the game. They kept hopping on and off the tower to keep it in place but refused to finish the game. They knew there was absolutely no way we were going to win but still decided to mess with us just because they thought it was "funny" to stall out the game and try to kill us. I guess joke's on them because I was the one with the best K/D despite being a roller with only one teammate for help. But it's still seriously disrespectful. Just end the game and move on; there's no need to harass a team that you know has zero chance of winning.
YES! This sort of falls in line with spawn camping, and boxing a team into their base who cannot effectively fight back. Yes, from an objective viewpoint, doing such things allows you to win more easily, but man is it disrespectful. When one team gets a DC, or more than one in rare, nasty instances, at that point, there is no point to getting all up in their face and splatting them repeatedly by their spawn. There's wanting to win, and being plain rude to your opponents.

Relating to this further, I had a match today, a really nasty one. Long story short, my team was boxed in our area very quickly, and by the first 45 seconds of the match, we were completely overwhelmed. Further along into the game, I give up, and start hopping and flopping around basically surrendering, and hoping for a jolly squid party since the match was theirs, no point in trying. They clearly see me trying to surrender, and they still try to kill me. It's bad enough those tryhard jerks had already won, they wanted to rack up kills just to kick us while we were down.

SilverBlue-Neko

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-0694-5266-9796
Squidbagging when a charger has you in their sights and can't actually hit you. Not that I've ever done that, no sir.
MY LIFE IN A NUTSHELL. It always happens to me on those nights I'm doing terrible!!!!

But it is satisfying running right up to them when they're taunting and Kraken them. Or this one time this annoying squid was taunting me after I missed my shot three times in a row, so I quickly swam behind splatted them by just causally shooting them with uncharged shots. The disrespect was real. ;);)

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
One of my personal favorites is to plant a Suction Bomb on a Super Jump marker, as a sort of punishment for anyone stupid/unfortunate enough to jump to a splatted teammate. It's pretty easy to do, really; any time you see a marker pop up just count to 2 and throw one directly on it. It's also possible with regular Splat Bombs as well, but the timing's a little stricter.
On the topic of Disruptors, :disruptor:+:killerwail:= Near-inescapable death trap. Got the idea from a WhiteHawke vid, and it's served me well so far. I can just imagine how helpless they must feel (unless they manage to Super Jump away just in time).

Zahntavier

Senior Squid
This is more disrespectful to my teammates than opponents: when you snipe a squid that is just about to be splatted by a mate, bonus points if its just a tap charge to push the damage over 100. Kill stealing basically.

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
Well I didn't read everything, but I'm quite surprised at some suggestions. What I think is disrespectful are the following:

- squidbagging or mocking the enemy in any way
- giving up while the team still has a chance (sometimes a good chance even)
- rage quitting
- trolling your teammates (spamming come on in base and not playing, just moving a tiny bit so that you're not disconnected and make everyone lose all their points,...)
- playing for the opponents by taking the rainmaker and bringing it back to your base

Basically, I find disrespectful not playing, trying to anger others (it's supposed to be a game, you're not supposed to do that if you're sane I believe), or just being too selfish.

While being killed by a dynamo, a sprinkler, a sniper or whaatever was said is just... Well, normal. A sprinkler on a super jump spot is a dangerous thing, so that's normal. You're jumping at the wrong location so you get punished for that, one way or another. Squids are slower in mid-air, so it's normal snipers will kill you easily when you jump carelessly. If you keep doing it in, let's say, Moray Tower, and get kill at 4:45 everytime there is a sniper in the other team... Well maybe realise you're doing it wrong. But you can't say it's disrespectful. Scoring a goal in soccer while the goal is away is not disrespectful, you shouldn't wait for him to return.

I like disrupting someone so that he can't do a specific thing, like I'm in power and such. And I kinda smile when it's done to me too. Using your weapon, sub or special usefully just is right.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
"If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him." Outright being a jerk is never cool, but annoying your opponent so that they make mistakes can win matches, which is probably part of why this thread came about. It's a form of mind game, as long as it doesn't cross the very fine line into jerkishness.

yokokazuo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
NagoyaKazuo
One of my personal favorites is to plant a Suction Bomb on a Super Jump marker, as a sort of punishment for anyone stupid/unfortunate enough to jump to a splatted teammate. It's pretty easy to do, really; any time you see a marker pop up just count to 2 and throw one directly on it. It's also possible with regular Splat Bombs as well, but the timing's a little stricter.
On the topic of Disruptors, :disruptor:+:killerwail:= Near-inescapable death trap. Got the idea from a WhiteHawke vid, and it's served me well so far. I can just imagine how helpless they must feel (unless they manage to Super Jump away just in time).
Yesterday I was playing some private battles with some friends and when my team had more people I wouldn't attack usually and sometimes just mained a sub haha.
I suppose throwing a bunch of disruptors doesn't really give the other team any more of an advantage... Especially when my teammate would use killer wails and my disruptors prevented them from getting away haha.
We even almost won a 3 on 4 when I was using disruptors only, they barely won in an overtime.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
"If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him." Outright being a jerk is never cool, but annoying your opponent so that they make mistakes can win matches, which is probably part of why this thread came about. It's a form of mind game, as long as it doesn't cross the very fine line into jerkishness.
You should be careful where and who you annoy, as it can backfire even if you don't cross the line. Having the enemy constantly annoy me (and I mean match after match after match) is one of the reasons I stopped playing altogether :(

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
You should be careful where and who you annoy, as it can backfire even if you don't cross the line. Having the enemy constantly annoy me (and I mean match after match after match) is one of the reasons I stopped playing altogether :(
Depends on what you mean by annoyance. In a given match, I mean things like playing peek-a-boo with cover to draw enemy fire, or shooting around an enemy to pressure and harass them for a couple examples.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Camping is something I consider disrespectful, but it's also inevitable.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Rankscumming, plain and simple. It goes both ways, either setting yourself in ranks below your skill level or above your skill level. That's my biggest peeve right now.
Hacking too(not as in item hacking, but more as in instant win hacking), but that's not prevalent enough... yet.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
There's a big split here between people talking about [actions genuinely disrespectful of the integrity of the game and its players] and people talking about ['disrespect' as a memey concept in competitive videogames]. Based on the text of the OP, this thread is meant to be about the latter, although it's nice to have the contrast to remind us all of where to draw the line.

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
There's a big split here between people talking about [actions genuinely disrespectful of the integrity of the game and its players] and people talking about ['disrespect' as a memey concept in competitive videogames]. Based on the text of the OP, this thread is meant to be about the latter, although it's nice to have the contrast to remind us all of where to draw the line.
^Important point here peeps. In the spirit of campaign season: "I approve this message." :D

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
I squidbag sometimes but they have to do it first. Nothing more satisfying than poppin the dude who popped you.

Ill also booyah someone who gets a good kill in on me tho. In turfwars/splatfest anyway.

Sometimes when we pull of hard fought wins Ill booyah bomb and hit it 3 times in a row or so.

thing is i dont care if people do it to me. I just see it as celebrating or trolling/poking fun. big deal. its a game where I pretend to be a humaoid evolved from a cephlapod. If they had voice chat Id be cheering and stuff alot anyhow. This is just another way of conveyeing the same message

besides, nothing will ever beat the three celebratory killer wails shot into the sky. that was just a cool thing to see.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
In light of the recent splatfest, it's VERY disrespectful to make alt accounts to purposefully sabatoge the other team by fooling around instead of playing properly.

Two people on my team partied all match and it cost us the game. I was so upset. DON'T DO THIS. It's not fair to people that actually want to play fair, and not fair to EITHER team.

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
In light of the recent splatfest, it's VERY disrespectful to make alt accounts to purposefully sabatoge the other team by fooling around instead of playing properly.

Two people on my team partied all match and it cost us the game. I was so upset. DON'T DO THIS. It's not fair to people that actually want to play fair, and not fair to EITHER team.
How do u know theyre alts?

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
How do u know theyre alts?
I was meaning to say it's just a hunch. I don't think new players would do that during a splatfest, but then again it just seems like common sense NOT to squid party in a splatfest because, y'kno, it's kinda a big thing. Plus, this is the last splatfest and some callie fans may go on marie's team to sabatoge and vice versa. It's disgusting.

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
I was meaning to say it's just a hunch. I don't think new players would do that during a splatfest, but then again it just seems like common sense NOT to squid party in a splatfest because, y'kno, it's kinda a big thing. Plus, this is the last splatfest and some callie fans may go on marie's team to sabatoge and vice versa. It's disgusting.
I didnt know they were low level players. Clears it up tremendously.

If we're getting stomped Ill start squid partying at the spawn point for the final 10 seconds or so. No way I can bring my team back so might as well be silly right.

On the respect side of things is what I consider to be a fundamental part of sportsmanship and is part of my philosophy in life in general:

"Try your best, but if you cant have fun in a losing game then it's just work"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom