• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What do you consider, "Disrespectful"?

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Bunny hopping widens your reticle and can throw off your enemy's aim for a split second, in a game where split seconds matter. It's not always ideal, but good use of hopping attacks can destroy foes, hence why so many people do it.

Hopping blasters are the worst :p
"Halo jumping" is one of the oldest enemy movement patterns in gaming history: the sine wave. It's one of the most predictable patterns of all, and halfway decent gamers will spot it a mile off. Most people panic jump, which sets them up for a veteran gamer to bracket the crap out of them. Don't do it kids: it doesn't work.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
"Halo jumping" is one of the oldest enemy movement patterns in gaming history: the sine wave. It's one of the most predictable patterns of all, and halfway decent gamers will spot it a mile off. Most people panic jump, which sets them up for a veteran gamer to bracket the crap out of them. Don't do it kids: it doesn't work.
Except when it does - again, not always a valid tactic, you make a good point there, but sometimes that half-second is all that's needed to get a splat.

Maybe we have different experiences, because I've fought many deadly sidehopping shooters.

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
I see plenty of bunny rabbits in S+ solo queue, and when I use the Luna I often become one of them. :D Also, sorry for the jump scares Magolor (that's a funny way to put it btw), but hiding in the ink and popping out for a kill is a bread and butter move in Splatoon, and I can't stop. No disrespect!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I see plenty of bunny rabbits in S+ solo queue, and when I use the Luna I often become one of them. :D Also, sorry for the jump scares Magolor (that's a funny way to put it btw), but hiding in the ink and popping out for a kill is a bead and butter move in Splatoon, and I can't stop. No disrespect!
Now I want to see a clip where a squid jumps out for a splat while doing the jumpscare noise from FNAF :P

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I don't Halo jump here as often as I do in Halo itself, but I do it on occasion. Only once was it ever really noteworthy tho: being tailed by a bomb-lobbing enemy, I swam backwards and jumped behind her, then splatted her as she tried to re-orient herself. 'Twas neat, if just another lightning-in-a-bottle moment.

Also, hiding in the ink and then jumping up akin to a damn jumpscare to kill your opponent is really.... really cheap. However, I suppose it's a legit thing like the jumping tactic. Shrugs.
Campy Carbon Rollers come to mind. I haven't met that many, but they're a definite pain to deal with. Especially if you know there's one right around the corner, but you don't have a way of dealing with them (no bombs, Bubbler's not ready yet, etc.).

I must admit that I haven't seen too many other weapons using similar tactics. Heck the only other time I've seen it happen was last night with an H-3 Cherry, which doesn't count because that was me getting the surprise full burst on an unsuspecting squid and not the other way around.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I sometimes jump. Working on the not be predictable part. It's part of how I dodge and it can be satisfying to jump on some kid's head while striking them on the noggin. And it can be especially helpful if your opponent is not using motion controls or doesn't have it turned up high enough.

Other than making ink from every weapon go a teensy bit further, blasters and dynamos jump to cancel the lag between shots and the standing lag before they can move again. Brushes do it to surround you in ink, rain as much ink as they can on you, and obstruct your aim with so much ink flying around.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Other than making ink from every weapon go a teensy bit further
Exception of buckets! But then they have a positive point that most other weapons don't, namely that they have absolutely no accuracy loss with aerial shots (whereas Shooters, blasters and others increase random dispersion with jumping fire).

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Exception of buckets! But then they have a positive point that most other weapons don't, namely that they have absolutely no accuracy loss with aerial shots (whereas Shooters, blasters and others increase random dispersion with jumping fire).
Wait! My buckets don't go any further if you jump?!

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Wait! My buckets don't go any further if you jump?!
Or so I have heard. They all have very weird physics which cause them to drop vertically by the time they reach max range, I think. I... kind of should know this, having almost 2Mp inked between all buckets!

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
I sometimes jump. Working on the not be predictable part. It's part of how I dodge and it can be satisfying to jump on some kid's head while striking them on the noggin. And it can be especially helpful if your opponent is not using motion controls or doesn't have it turned up high enough.

Other than making ink from every weapon go a teensy bit further, blasters and dynamos jump to cancel the lag between shots and the standing lag before they can move again. Brushes do it to surround you in ink, rain as much ink as they can on you, and obstruct your aim with so much ink flying around.

I see, so you’re one of the ones that made me swear off of analog controls on my alt… Regrettably, right now using motion controls usually ends with me in the fetal position rocking back and forth in the corner. ;) Still, they do seem to be the way to go. *Hops back online for another motion control induced beatdown.*

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
Campy Carbon Rollers come to mind. I haven't met that many, but they're a definite pain to deal with. Especially if you know there's one right around the corner, but you don't have a way of dealing with them (no bombs, Bubbler's not ready yet, etc.).

I must admit that I haven't seen too many other weapons using similar tactics. Heck the only other time I've seen it happen was last night with an H-3 Cherry, which doesn't count because that was me getting the surprise full burst on an unsuspecting squid and not the other way around.
I'm guilty as well, when I remember to be. But being ninja is useful with the Splasho, I've found. I'm at the point where I can easily hop to add gratuitous extra range to my bombs, but have yet to get the whole hopping away while firing routine down :'D

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
These 2 people must have been voicechatting because they both had kraken and circled around me, i escaped but it's the thought that counts
It's more possible that they were partying or didn't really care about splatting you.
It's even possible that they didn't see you.

I've worked together like that with people outside of voice chat, so it could easily not be that.
+ it's not disrespectful if you don't die, so I don't know if it fits in this thread. It's more of a thing to put in a "silly things that happened" esque thread, if one of those even exists.

JoelTheFreshest

Inkster Jr.
That one place everyone, yet nobody knows
It's more possible that they were partying or didn't really care about splatting you.
It's even possible that they didn't see you.

I've worked together like that with people outside of voice chat, so it could easily not be that.
+ it's not disrespectful if you don't die, so I don't know if it fits in this thread. It's more of a thing to put in a "silly things that happened" esque thread, if one of those even exists.
Nope. There was a fairly obvious attempt to kill me. Both jumped at me multiple times, but i kept swinging my inkbrush and after a while i started to escape.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Nope. There was a fairly obvious attempt to kill me. Both jumped at me multiple times, but i kept swinging my inkbrush and after a while i started to escape.
Still possible they weren't on voice chat.
Could just be two Krakens teaming up on the same person.

Nonetheless that does sound annoying, I suppose. I don't mind Krakens personally, they're easy to get away from most of the time at least for me.

JoelTheFreshest

Inkster Jr.
That one place everyone, yet nobody knows
Still possible they weren't on voice chat.
Could just be two Krakens teaming up on the same person.

Nonetheless that does sound annoying, I suppose. I don't mind Krakens personally, they're easy to get away from most of the time at least for me.
I can see why... They move fairly slow. But i got lucky. Thank the gods holding down the inkbrush makes you faster.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
I see, so you’re one of the ones that made me swear off of analog controls on my alt… Regrettably, right now using motion controls usually ends with me in the fetal position rocking back and forth in the corner. ;) Still, they do seem to be the way to go. *Hops back online for another motion control induced beatdown.*
Hang in there. It might help to think of it as an extension of your body. Just think of the motion controls as moving your head while the right stick controls the rest of your body. Then again as I child I often moved the gamepad around when I played, so motion controls are a dream come true for childhood Ansible. ¯\(ツ)

You want to know what's disrespectful? Lag!

Lag is disrespectful. Captain Dynamo won't go down no matter how many times I hit her with a gal. I try to snatch the rainmaker but the enemy squid that swims by me secretly has it scootin' for dear life. I maneuver behind a carbon roller and shoot him in the back of the head but he can still splat with his back turned to me and suffer no damage. I can see my teammate become a stop motion animation and disconnect in an inky fart cloud that causes us to lose the match. And I can see that inkzooka shot with my name on it chasing after me as I dodge in sloooow motion, and wind up splatted.

Lag, you have no manners!

Oh! And what's extremely disrespectful is the enemy Carbon Roller on Flounder Heights Rainmaker that was camping directly at our spawn. Not the base. The wall you hope down from spawn!

At first I thought it was a glitch when I saw him chasing after my roller after we all respawned, but I shot at him anyway. I wanted to squidbag so~ hard—but didn't.

Maave

Inkling Commander
I think I get this thread now. It's not about directly disrespecting, it's about whooping your enemies in a manner so stylish or unorthodox that they're ashamed.

Sometimes I play Carbon to squish people. Not splat with the flick, I mean roll them over. The best roll was a sniper who was too busy sniping to notice me behind him. I flicked in a different direction so he didn't see, rolled up for the first 70~ damage, and just kept running forward for the squish. I saw him turning around like "no no no no NO NO NO"

If only there was a brush that did more rolling damage

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom