Catloafman

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
Fella
So at the end of the 8.1.0 patch notes nintendo states
Screenshot 2024-07-17 090629.png

What do we think they will nerf?
my guess is Tristrike Zooka and cooler for specials
And Stamper Range blaster 52 squeezer and maybe even slosher for the main weapons

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
she/her
That has to be the most ominous ending to patch notes I have ever seen. like "SOON..... SOME of you are going DOWN.... but we won't tell you who."

Anyway I know what I want them to nerf but squod knows what they will actually end up nerfing.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I know that they’re going to nerf Squeezer, I just hope that they nerf it in the right direction with reduced maximum fire rate. This not only makes the weapon, you know, reasonable; it also reduces its mashing problems and prevents it from constantly overshadowing Splattershot Pro.

Range could get a blast radius nerf, especially if they buff Wave Breaker.

Stamper is likely on the chopping block; personally I would hope that the area it’s nerfed is its range. That way it keeps its kill power.

I doubt Slosher’s main weapon will get hit but Triple Inkstrike is definitely getting a significant nerf, hopefully to its spammability.

And Snipewriter. I pray for the sake of my OCD that they nerf the damage to 65; every charger does damage to a multiple of five and Pencil should be no exception. They should also probably nerf its paint a little.

I don’t know about you guys but I’m getting a feeling like they’re planning to nerf Tacticooler. They specifically used the wording “lowering the abilities of select weapons.” Not lowering power, lowering abilities. There is a good chance that a Cooler nerf could actually happen. We shall see.

NumberOneAries

Your Favorite Octoling's Favorite Octoling
Premium
Pronouns
They/Them
Switch Friend Code
SW-4468-2079-9300
I'm personally hoping for Blob ink consumption nerfs just due to how passive the main weapon is

isaac4

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm expecting the main weapon nerfs to be Stamper, Squeezer, Pencil, and maybe Range?
I would hope not since I think it would be very easy for RB to be made much weaker with even just a small nerf.
They're definitely not touching Splattershot again though which is disappointing because it's just going to continue farming for special whenever it gets to be at the top of the meta.

I'm not too sure what to expect for special nerfs though.
There is a chance that they finally nerf Zooka startup after seeing if Big Bubbler being stronger against it was the answer (it's not).
Tri-Strike might get a cooldown nerf which will suck for Slosher since its paint is already not very good.
They might even make it 210p but I don't really care, Bucket is already able to get its special fairly quickly with CB and 200p Strikes so I think it's a fair nerf.
I still don't believe in a Cooler nerf though, it's been at the top for such a long time and has only been nerfed once from what I remember and that nerf might have been over a year ago now.

Getting back to Zooka though, I've read that there isn't any "startup value" for the special in the game that the devs can easily adjust.
I'm not sure how significant that is for how they're deciding to balance Zooka but I just thought I should mention that since I haven't seen anyone else mention it here.

Catloafman

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
Fella
Getting back to Zooka though, I've read that there isn't any "startup value" for the special in the game that the devs can easily adjust.
I'm not sure how significant that is for how they're deciding to balance Zooka but I just thought I should mention that since I haven't seen anyone else mention it here.
I would guess this is easy to change heck if nintendo can make inkstorm have its healing effect in a update I doubt adding startup would be that hard

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
I don’t know about you guys but I’m getting a feeling like they’re planning to nerf Tacticooler. They specifically used the wording “lowering the abilities of select weapons.” Not lowering power, lowering abilities. There is a good chance that a Cooler nerf could actually happen. We shall see.
Less power = less ability to do stuff?? I don't see the distinction you're trying to make here.

McSquid82

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/him
NNID
Ewel
Switch Friend Code
SW-7398-4915-8969
I just hope that whatever gets nerfed gets nerfed in the same way Splash did. Tone back the aspects that makes them OP or broken but don't go overboard. Keep what makes the weapons unique while toning down the more OP parts of them. If you think about it, for the first part of this game's lifespan, vSplash had the most meta defining, broken kit but all it took was a few balance patches to bring it in line. Now it's still an extremely solid kit with perfect synergy, but it's no longer OP like it used to be. That's the way balancing should work.

Grushi

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
I just hope that whatever gets nerfed gets nerfed in the same way Splash did. Tone back the aspects that makes them OP or broken but don't go overboard. Keep what makes the weapons unique while toning down the more OP parts of them. If you think about it, for the first part of this game's lifespan, vSplash had the most meta defining, broken kit but all it took was a few balance patches to bring it in line. Now it's still an extremely solid kit with perfect synergy, but it's no longer OP like it used to be. That's the way balancing should work.
Yeah me too! I know pencil gets complained about a lot but frankly I don't want it to get nerfed too hard. I don't like it being the main cooler option but I still think it's important that it stays good.

But I'm not too worried, the devs are clearly trying to be careful with nerfing things since it's taking them so long to do any nerfs and they're specifying that next patch will be nerf focused.

vitellary

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
they/them
i sincerely doubt they're going to nerf tacticooler itself at all tbh. i think they love that it's this good and don't want it to fall from that spot, it really does make the game super exciting to watch

i'm very much hoping for a nerf to snipewriter's range, the fact that it outranges splatterscope is funny but very very dumb and should not be a thing i think. i don't even really think it should outrange regular splat charger but that's a bit extreme so it's not what i expect. but a pencil range nerf would reduce its paint spam a bit, and give other backlines a better chance at fighting it (something that i feel weighing over me constantly when i play ballpoint, even in solo). 220p would also be nice, it honestly would barely even do anything but it would be good just for the sake of like. symbolically implying that it's slower at getting cooler. because really i think snipewriter should not be the best weapon for farming cooler, it provides such good utility in other areas with its chip damage and reliable painting uptime that i think it could do with a weakness of not actually getting special as often as other options

i hope next patch isn't ALL nerfs though. there's still plenty of things that could do with being buffed more (i'm still holding out for them to just buff H-3 into being overpowered because i don't care that weapon would be so cool to watch if it was good). maybe 16th time's the charm and they'll actually buff reefslider endlag, who knows

McSquid82

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/him
NNID
Ewel
Switch Friend Code
SW-7398-4915-8969
I can almost guarantee you that if Zooka gets nerfed enough and vShot goes to 220p, double Zooka and even in rarer cases, double shot will stop being a thing in competitive play. I think Shot is actually a decent main weapon and that includes the TTek. Between a startup nerf for Zooka and a cooldown nerf for Tri-Strikes would be all that is needed to bring both variants down a peg or two. Like I said, the main weapon is actually fine, it's just the specials that need adjusted.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
If they already know what they wanna nerf, I'm just puzzled as to why they didn't put those nerfs in this patch. Why do we have to wait another half season to fix problems that have been known for far too long?

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
Less power = less ability to do stuff?? I don't see the distinction you're trying to make here.
I wouldn’t describe Tacticooler as “powerful”, since it’s buffs are more of a safety net than something a team uses to gain a winning advantage in a team fight. I’m probably grasping at straws but the phrasing seems to be specifically worded to include Cooler.

If they already know what they wanna nerf, I'm just puzzled as to why they didn't put those nerfs in this patch. Why do we have to wait another half season to fix problems that have been known for far too long?
Perhaps they needed more time to make the changes. As mentioned, Tri-Zooka doesn’t have an easily alterable startup stat. I feel like the delayed nerfs only make the possibility of a Zooka nerf more promising.

McSquid82

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/him
NNID
Ewel
Switch Friend Code
SW-7398-4915-8969
Cod please let that be the patch that finally kills pencil forever 🙏

I don't even care if it takes down Edit with it. For the greater good (backline diversity), pencil MUST perish
Pencil does not need to be killed, just toned back slightly. We've seen what happens before when they kill weapons, and it's not good. If you want backline diversity, you can easily accomplish that without killing what makes pencil unique. In case you don't remember, pencil had to be buffed to get to the point where it is now.

isaac4

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Cod please let that be the patch that finally kills pencil forever 🙏

I don't even care if it takes down Edit with it. For the greater good (backline diversity), pencil MUST perish
Always appreciate the energy you give for hating Pencil lmao

isaac4

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Speaking about other potential nerfs though, I still don't think they're going to do anything to the main weapon of Slosher but if they do then it'll probably be an ink consumption nerf.
I'd be okay with that but it would still be extremely unnecessary and would make using Splat Bomb significantly harder.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
We've seen what happens before when they kill weapons, and it's not good.
What do you mean? Not good for the overall health of the game, or just not good for Pencil mains? A lot of weapons aren't good in this game, something has to be low tier, and after how long Pencil's reign of terror has been, I'm actually fine with never seeing it in the meta again.

QuagSass

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-4841-6661-0032
Pencil does not need to be killed, just toned back slightly. We've seen what happens before when they kill weapons, and it's not good. If you want backline diversity, you can easily accomplish that without killing what makes pencil unique. In case you don't remember, pencil had to be buffed to get to the point where it is now.
my comment was like 50% hyperbole.
But also pencil literally does everything splatlings are supposed to do with little to no weaknesses. A lot of range? Check. A lot of paint? Check. Good strafing speed? Check. Fast killtime? Check.
All of this with no ink recovery lag. Also it has amazing matchups againts every single splatling.
I probably forgot something. Feels like I did.

Maybe this sounds like a "oh you're just complaining because your mains are bad againts it" kinda deal. But also if a charger can invalidate splatlings completely, that's a problem. The whole point of choosing one over the other is the idea of sacrificing range for more paint and vice versa.

Like yeah, I'd be great if pencil could be nerfed in a way that didn't completely kill it off. There are parts of it that are pretty interesting.

But also I think I'm validated in personally wanting to see that thing 6 feet under ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom