• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

What Makes You Angry?

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
When the matchmaking in ranked gives me the finger and puts me with the worst of the lobby..and that 3 times in a ROW..yeah 1 time i can tolerate second time gets annoying but 3 times after another is where i am done and in my mind i am throwing my switch out of the window..that felt satisfying enough for me to calm down lol

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
Similarly, whenever there's level 10s and level 70s in my lobby. As someone who's around level 30, I find Ranked to be a lot more fun when everyone else is level 25-40.
i always thought i was the only 1! i struggle more in Turf war then i do in ranked
and trying out new weapons in turf war?...forget it! there are always godlike players waaaay above you in the lobby that won't even give you the chance to try out and practice anything.

pio_dov

Pro Squid
I'm pretty decent at Turf War, good at Salmon Run, okay at most of the Ranked modes, and I suck at Rainmaker. So I don't always get teams that are all mediocre.

Also, aside from Squidboards, the community in general can be irritating at times.

Cephalobro

Also, aside from Squidboards, the community in general can be irritating at times.
Yup, I blame the Reddit and Twitter parts of the community of being so obsessed with people's identity rather than their merit as players. This also extends to the dreaded shipping part of the fandom where they think just a few friendly gestures between two characters already means they are in love with one another. (Spoiler alert, they were all platonic).

We should all take a lesson from Cap'n Cuttlefish himself when he says "I don't see species", he literately decides to forgo any kind of simpleton identity obsession he originally had against the Octarians or with the Inklings.

Last edited:

pio_dov

Pro Squid
@Cephalobro

I agree completely. With both of your statements. Why does which idol's a better waifu or what weapon you main determine how you are as a person? It doesn't determine anything. Though I can confirm that Octoling girls with the tentacurl haircut that wear the Neo Octoling Armor with a Sneaky Beanie and main a brush or shooter can start a great squid party at any time. Jokes aside, the shippings that drive me the most insane are for characters that haven't even met. As a Mother fan, my least favorite SSB shipping is Ness x Lucas (or Nesscas... ew). They've never met in their respective games, and I get pretty annoyed when people who only know them from Smash and think they're in love somehow. Similarly, my least favorite Splatoon shipping is... "Calf1sh"..? I'm not even sure where this one came from, but it's apparently super popular on Tumblr. Callie has never met dedf1sh. Dedf1sh has never met Callie or even expressed interest in her (like the Octo Samurai). Heck, dedf1sh hasn't ever been shown on screen. Where did this come from and why is it so popular? Who knows.

On the note of Dedf1sh, I've seen some stuff saying she's Agent 7.

You know what also grinds my gears? Popular YouTubers saying that Agents 5, 6, and 7 are actual characters. T H E Y A R E N 'T. This just spreads misinformation to their fans and people go around saying stuff that isn't true.

Cephalobro

I completely agree, I have even made it clear in one of my Splatoon 2 Misconception posts that being involved with the NSS doesn't always mean said character is an Agent. Cap'n Cuttlefish isn't Agent 0, so why automatically assume a character being involved with the NSS is somehow an Agent? To me, the only Agents in the NSS are the ones who are on the frontlines, it can be assumed that Callie and Marie have fought on the frontline at some point during Octo Valley, they have Hero versions of their main weapons, thus they are Agents 1 and 2 respectively. Those on the more technical and tactical side aren't really Agents, Marina and Sheldon, for example, are more on the technical side while Pearl and Cap'n Cuttlefish were more tactical (Pearl using her destructive scream at Tartar's death blast).

Sandtide

Senior Squid
NNID
Vegsushi64
@Cephalobro

I agree completely. With both of your statements. Why does which idol's a better waifu or what weapon you main determine how you are as a person? It doesn't determine anything. Though I can confirm that Octoling girls with the tentacurl haircut that wear the Neo Octoling Armor with a Sneaky Beanie and main a brush or shooter can start a great squid party at any time. Jokes aside, the shippings that drive me the most insane are for characters that haven't even met. As a Mother fan, my least favorite SSB shipping is Ness x Lucas (or Nesscas... ew). They've never met in their respective games, and I get pretty annoyed when people who only know them from Smash and think they're in love somehow. Similarly, my least favorite Splatoon shipping is... "Calf1sh"..? I'm not even sure where this one came from, but it's apparently super popular on Tumblr. Callie has never met dedf1sh. Dedf1sh has never met Callie or even expressed interest in her (like the Octo Samurai). Heck, dedf1sh hasn't ever been shown on screen. Where did this come from and why is it so popular? Who knows.

On the note of Dedf1sh, I've seen some stuff saying she's Agent 7.

You know what also grinds my gears? Popular YouTubers saying that Agents 5, 6, and 7 are actual characters. T H E Y A R E N 'T. This just spreads misinformation to their fans and people go around saying stuff that isn't true.
Yeah, I agree, especially how shipping can get kinda messy, so I'm trying to sort of avoid it, or keep it to myself at the moment. I've never paid attention to shipping in the Splatoon community, as I saw it mostly as self insert (not really my thing at all) or between OCs (I can handle it/enjoy it). When it comes to Earthbound, though, that's different. I don't agree with many romantic ships unless they are extremely implied to be canon (Ninten x Ana, Ness x Paula sort of, Jeff x Tony). But for the most part, I see the relationships between most characters as largely platonic (70% of the characters are minors anyway), and they're all good friends. Then I fill the rest of the space with friend headcannons (Lucas looks up to Ness, Paula and Ana are church friends and Ana is the last person in the world who is keeping Paula's sanity intact, Kumatora gives off big sister vibes, Lil Miss Marshmallow gives off annoying little sister vibes, Poo is the one eho refuses to help the gang get out of trouble, etc) instead of aggressively screaming at some poor random soul why their ship sucks and they deserve to burn in the depest depths of hell.

But I guess I'm lucky: I haven't seen much shipping between main characters in Splatoon except some VERY cursed Squid Sisters stuff I found by accident when I was younger (even if people don't know they're cousins, sisters is more than enough of a warning :()

Cephalobro

Yeah, I agree, especially how shipping can get kinda messy, so I'm trying to sort of avoid it, or keep it to myself at the moment. I've never paid attention to shipping in the Splatoon community, as I saw it mostly as self insert (not really my thing at all) or between OCs (I can handle it/enjoy it). When it comes to Earthbound, though, that's different. I don't agree with many romantic ships unless they are extremely implied to be canon (Ninten x Ana, Ness x Paula sort of, Jeff x Tony). But for the most part, I see the relationships between most characters as largely platonic (70% of the characters are minors anyway), and they're all good friends. Then I fill the rest of the space with friend headcannons (Lucas looks up to Ness, Paula and Ana are church friends and Ana is the last person in the world who is keeping Paula's sanity intact, Kumatora gives off big sister vibes, Lil Miss Marshmallow gives off annoying little sister vibes, Poo is the one eho refuses to help the gang get out of trouble, etc) instead of aggressively screaming at some poor random soul why their ship sucks and they deserve to burn in the depest depths of hell.

But I guess I'm lucky: I haven't seen much shipping between main characters in Splatoon except some VERY cursed Squid Sisters stuff I found by accident when I was younger (even if people don't know they're cousins, sisters is more than enough of a warning :()
I agree, the problem I see with the Splatoon community the most is that they see official artwork and immediately assume it's canon rather than take a more informed approach to what the Japanese culture views what is in the artwork, because Splatoon is still made by a Japanese dev at the end of the day so off course there will be some sort of bias. Also, friendship (not the same as shipping) has always been a huge theme in Splatoon, something that the shipping community annoyingly ignores, despite the theming being very important to Splatoon lore.

To me, I absolutely hate the 3x8 shippings because they are typically shown by someone who thinks it's canon, but it's really not. Making them canon would severely limit what many other players portray them differently. (In my case, I portray them as best friends.)

Sandtide

Senior Squid
NNID
Vegsushi64
I agree, the problem I see with the Splatoon community the most is that they see official artwork and immediately assume it's canon rather than take a more informed approach to what the Japanese culture views what is in the artwork, because Splatoon is still made by a Japanese dev at the end of the day so off course there will be some sort of bias. Also, friendship (not the same as shipping) has always been a huge theme in Splatoon, something that the shipping community annoyingly ignores, despite the theming being very important to Splatoon lore.

To me, I absolutely hate the 3x8 shippings because they are typically shown by someone who thinks it's canon, but it's really not. Making them canon would severely limit what many other players portray them differently. (In my case, I portray them as best friends.)
Same. i think two characters is friends is a much more viable and safe bet for me. I don't have a very wide range of romantic knowledge from books and stuff, I guess, so fictional relationships are hard for me to imagine.

pio_dov

Pro Squid
This discussion brings me back... but not in a good way.

A year or two ago (probably because I was a grumpy kid stressed out from school and constantly on the internet) I got so mad at shipping that I would lie and tell people that I shipped the Squid Sisters just to get other people to stop shipping characters from anything. Note that during that same time of my life, I would self-promote-spam on several YouTube channels and rant online whenever I got that chance.

I was the exact type of fan that I dread now, and when looking back at that time of my life, I feel nothing but embarrassment. But unfortunately, there are some people who are non-joking like that, and they ruin most good fandoms.

Cephalobro

This discussion brings me back... but not in a good way.

A year or two ago (probably because I was a grumpy kid stressed out from school and constantly on the internet) I got so mad at shipping that I would lie and tell people that I shipped the Squid Sisters just to get other people to stop shipping characters from anything. Note that during that same time of my life, I would self-promote-spam on several YouTube channels and rant online whenever I got that chance.

I was the exact type of fan that I dread now, and when looking back at that time of my life, I feel nothing but embarrassment. But unfortunately, there are some people who are non-joking like that, and they ruin most good fandoms.
Back in my day while I was in high school, I didn't know what shipping was until I watched Jwittz's video about shipping in Pokemon (plus dipping into some Bulbapedia articles). It was only until then that I saw that it can be a good thing only if snobby people aren't the ones being vocal about it, trust me, it's not just shipping that gets annoying, it's basically anything where snobby folks being the loudest group. Trust me, I have dealt with a few of them long before I had this account and they were annoying as heck.

Last edited:

Cephalobro

Okay, here is one thing that makes me so angry because of the same exact thing about believing claims. So whenever somebody talks about Inkling/Octoling anatomy, they say that the female cephalopods are stronger than the males. But the truth is, nothing is confirmed about it. What Lockstin talked about it is just a theory, not a fact. And funny when people talk about developer interviews when they can't even link to one at all. For all we know, there could be a male-exclusive elite part of the Octarian army that we haven't seen before.

Sometimes, I'm convinced that the social media part of the Splatoon community is too lazy to do some actual research before making a claim about specific pieces of lore.

Last edited:

Cephalobro

dang, lockstin just got roasted.
That part of the interviews, I wasn't referring to Lockstin, I was referring to the people who take theories as facts. But yeah, part of this idiotic claim is his fault.

Last edited:

pio_dov

Pro Squid
I remember I hated his cuttlefish theory, but later started to go with the theory. Not because of his evidence, but a whole new thing I realized. I also write theories a lot, so I tend to question basically everything (I'm an INTP, it's what I do). It's way too complicated to mention in this topic, but maybe I'll bring it up later.

Other cases of people going with theories:

Splatoon 3 will have an open world story mode! (please no, Nintendo I beg you, that would suck with Splatoon's mechanics, trust me)
Inkopolis is dead in Splatoon 3 (pretty sure Nintendo said otherwise but okay...)
Splatoon 3 is in France (sure whatever you do you I don't care as much about this one)
Dedf1sh is an actual character (she's literally never been mentioned in-game)
Callie agreed to hypnosis (don't get me started with this, I think about the psychology of Callie far too often)
Nintendo confirmed Agent 24 (*rips out hair*)
Agents 5-7 exist (they don't.)
Agent 4 is 18 (*bangs head on wall* STOP)
The agents have canon personalities (no...)
Splatoon 3 will have no spawn camping! (pretty sure we all saw that normal respawn point with a tarp on it, didn't we)
Salmonids will be playable next (what..?)
Mr Grizz eats egg (that ones actually funny, I'll give you credit)
Mr Grizz is a real bear (if the professor is dead, how would some random bear survive)
Mushroom vs. Star wasn't canon (pretty sure I saw it happen in-game but you do you)
Dedf1sh is Agent 7 (WHERE THE @#$% DID THAT COME FROM)
The NSS is being mean to the Octarians (unlike many other main characters, I think they're actually doing good. It's Octavio's fault that most of this crap is happening, and I like villains that I can't feel bad for)
Clam Blitz won't be in Splatoon 3 (but it's the best Ranked mode...)
Dualies won't be in Splatoon 3 (epic. they're impossible to use, and brellas are a much better addition to the game)
Mr Grizz is evil (makes sense, but ya can't confirm that.)
The professor is alive (I would love a plot like that, but it's unlikely)

Cephalobro

I remember I hated his cuttlefish theory, but later started to go with the theory. Not because of his evidence, but a whole new thing I realized. I also write theories a lot, so I tend to question basically everything (I'm an INTP, it's what I do). It's way too complicated to mention in this topic, but maybe I'll bring it up later.

Other cases of people going with theories:

Splatoon 3 will have an open world story mode! (please no, Nintendo I beg you, that would suck with Splatoon's mechanics, trust me)
Inkopolis is dead in Splatoon 3 (pretty sure Nintendo said otherwise but okay...)
Splatoon 3 is in France (sure whatever you do you I don't care as much about this one)
Dedf1sh is an actual character (she's literally never been mentioned in-game)
Callie agreed to hypnosis (don't get me started with this, I think about the psychology of Callie far too often)
Nintendo confirmed Agent 24 (*rips out hair*)
Agents 5-7 exist (they don't.)
Agent 4 is 18 (*bangs head on wall* STOP)
The agents have canon personalities (no...)
Splatoon 3 will have no spawn camping! (pretty sure we all saw that normal respawn point with a tarp on it, didn't we)
Salmonids will be playable next (what..?)
Mr Grizz eats egg (that ones actually funny, I'll give you credit)
Mr Grizz is a real bear (if the professor is dead, how would some random bear survive)
Mushroom vs. Star wasn't canon (pretty sure I saw it happen in-game but you do you)
Dedf1sh is Agent 7 (WHERE THE @#$% DID THAT COME FROM)
The NSS is being mean to the Octarians (unlike many other main characters, I think they're actually doing good. It's Octavio's fault that most of this crap is happening, and I like villains that I can't feel bad for)
Clam Blitz won't be in Splatoon 3 (but it's the best Ranked mode...)
Dualies won't be in Splatoon 3 (epic. they're impossible to use, and brellas are a much better addition to the game)
Mr Grizz is evil (makes sense, but ya can't confirm that.)
The professor is alive (I would love a plot like that, but it's unlikely)
To be fair about the Octarian one: They were running out of power as explained by a Sunken Scroll in Splatoon 1 and also the fact that they aren't evil, just brainwashed/hypnotized. Other than that, I agree with you that most of these are really ridiculous claims, especially all the ones regarding the Agents.

Last edited:

Cephalobro

You also forgot to include the infamous claim that the Agents have canon genders (no they don't no matter what the artwork or sunken scrolls depict them as.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom