• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What weapons do you main and what strategy do you use?

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Wow I'm just now seeing this!

Well I (as seen in my signature) main chargers. I used to use a melting pot weapons before playing the first rotation of rank X showing me how much better I was at chargers in dealing with higher level players.

Anyways, I used to take positions a little further back from mid in the very beginning, but now I take more courageous positions in the beginning if there is one if I know it'll help me get important picks in the beginning of the game. For example, I used to start on Manta Maria by going to the snipe on the right, but now I head straight for the bunker because I know I can pick off several people running to mid as well as reaching their snipe and "rings" (the spot way far to the right that's a little higher than the snipe) with my trusty scoped e-liter.

My philosophy with chargers, other than constantly drilling aim, is that you need what I like to call the "opening picks." Especially with a weapon with such range like an E-Liter, you should be able to get quite a few picks in the very beginning of the match, especially when the objective is in mid, and even more so in rainmaker where people immediately rush to mid for pop. Getting the opening picks gives you an automatic number advantage, a large foothold in mid and the ability to assert control very early in the game. Even if people stay away from your sights, they're no where near anywhere too important (on most maps) with how much range you have. I also use the Hero Charger and Firefin Scope but still, they both have considerable range.

From there on, if we have a strong hold on mid, I move up to mid and get picks the rest of the match, moving up and retreating when appropriate. My main focus the whole game is kills, keeping people way far away from where they "should" be, keeping them where they should be - in spawn ;)

All 3 chargers I main have something that really helps in all situations. E-Liter has ink mines which are much more helpful than people give them credit for. Not only can you use them to watch your own flanks, place them when in or expecting a close-encounter. Just nail a quick partial charge and they're down. Ink Storm gives me power where I can't see - behind obstacles and in dangerous areas I can't move up to see. They also help to push and defend. An alright special. Firefin scope has splash walls (which thankfully has been buffed to where it should have been) which I can "volley" between or use to block off areas. It gives me protection in close situations and I can use it to protect myself from other chargers, or on tower, etc. Bomb rush gives me presence where I can't be. I can chuck those babies so far and they paint so well. They cause so much havoc we can move up so much easier. Splat charger has lethal splat bombs which can be rolled to assist (or win) 1v1s. Very lethal bomb with how fast they go off. And then stingray is broken and I have QSJ so I can jump out of action when I don't want to be a part of it.

Aim is so important. Drilling is so important. Kills are so important.

Last edited:

Kyle2001

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-2733-8532-6706
I main the Splat Roller. I use the element of surpise by hiding in the ink and splat enemies who come close to me. I use my curling bombs in narrow areas to explode next to them or to just get around faster.

SilverBrick

Pro Squid
NNID
SilverBrick
I main the Inkbrush (on Rainmaker and Tower Control) and Flingza (on everything).

Inkbrush is great, but it's kind of lost its surprise factor thanks to its overexposure in Clam Blitz; everyone knows how to deal with it there. It just isn't really that useful in Splat Zones, either. In RM and TC, I use it to control the area around the objective, rather than aiming for the objective itself. Bombing anyone too close to the Rainmaker shield, picking off an enemy fleeing from the firing range, pouncing on respawning players, backstabbing someone during a firefight, throwing bombs to throw people off, etc. Like a spy with added map coverage and long-ranged attacks.

Flingza is my new love. I've never been all that good with Rollers, but something just clicked once I gave this one a proper shot. I tend to do whatever needs doing, be that turfing, attacking the objective, or getting picks, but most of all I predict the opponents' movements based on their positioning, map coverage and past encounters, and block them from achieving their goals. I don't think it'll ever be a meta weapon, but that just makes it more special that I can wield it when so few others can. Like the Mjolnir of Splatoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom