• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What would make Splatoon perfect

Superjustinbros

Pro Squid
NNID
AozoraJustin
@ILikeKirbys Sure, they'd still remain if one team has a big lead.
And also, the after-round result would be quicker, instantly announcing the winner after time's up where the percents of both teams are shown on-screen in big numbers and Judd appears from the bottom of the screen doing his "flag on the winning side" animation.
Then it zooms out to the overview and plays the rest of the result screens like normal.

BluEyes

Senior Squid
adding on,

1080p 60fps, its currently nice at 720p 60fps.

Support for 2nd game pad.

And A ingame MAP DESIGNER!!

teluoborg

Inkling
NNID
teloutre
Customizable controls (I would love to jump with L)
Private lobbies where only your friend list can join and you can organize teams
Possibility to switch weapons and gear between matches

That's literally it.

_Vicious_

Full Squid
NNID
Vicious09
i would love to see other controller support

as for the super jump with other controllers click right toggle in to activate super jump select player then press A

Rareware0192

Inkling
NNID
Rareware0192
Death match mode (4v4 and free for all)
Online lobbies (where you can interact with other people, can make different servers for lobbies and put about 10-20 in one lobby)
Dances/"gestures" that your inkling can do during these online lobbies
More ink colors (white or gray with black, gold and silver, etc)
Ability to change hairstyles
Pants store

Holder of the Heel

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Roarfang
I absolutely love that we're getting more weapons, but I'd like a couple subs and specials to be added too. It'd definitely set apart the newer weapons even more from what we already have.

Also with new gear I'd like new main abilities. Seriously, none of the unique headgear abilities appeal to me, and the ninja abilities for me really outshine the others just far too much. This one is very subjective, totally for me, but I feel like it'd be ridiculously easy to come up with little abilities that can change the way we play. Seriously tons and tons of possibilities that haven't been tapped into. An entire thread could be made of people making them up with zero effort.

And PLEASE let me change my controls a bit more. Namely, the special being R3. It is so unnatural for me to clutch a Kraken out by pressing it, and when I'm using a weapon with Inkstrike and I get too intense into a shootout, a couple times I've pressed too hard on the stick and ended up waddling around with a missile strapped to my back, looking down as I get shot at.

Oh, and the game pad is not needed. In fact I'd much prefer it if I could hold a button to pop a map on the screen that can toggle between possible jump points. It is unnatural and some times even dangerous to look away and examine another screen in the middle of fight. If I was given this option I'd flicker the map up all the time as I move around just to increase my map awareness while simultaneously inking and swimming. Maybe looking at the map should be dangerous and they want that, just something I'd appreciate.

All I got for now aside from things that are either coming or have been said here already. Really love battle mode suggestions, free for alls, and giving the player the chance to be and play as octolings because I'd totally rather be octarian lol. I'd like for them to go all in with the multiplayer/online aspect of the game. The "story" mode was great for introducing me to moving around the inkling without recklessly diving into a team and I appreciate that experience, but now I want to play with others.

How about showing us a visual progress bar with percents below the 4 vs. 4 squids on top of the HUD instead of us relying on knowing how much turf is covered from the size of the squids on one side (the unofficial Minecraft recreation had numbers).
Then if both sides are really close together in the last 30 seconds of battle, the % gage fades away like in MK8 with it's disappearing position number in the last leg of a race.
But isn't it more exciting to not know who is in the lead until it's announced at the end? It'd totally ruin the little bar bit with Judd in the instances where it isn't totally obvious. It's not like we're going to just chill out if we see that our team is ahead anyways.

Last edited:

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
I absolutely love that we're getting more weapons, but I'd like a couple subs and specials to be added too. It'd definitely set apart the newer weapons even more from what we already have.

Also with new gear I'd like new main abilities. Seriously, none of the unique headgear abilities appeal to me, and the ninja abilities for me really outshine the others just far too much. This one is very subjective, totally for me, but I feel like it'd be ridiculously easy to come up with little abilities that can change the way we play. Seriously tons and tons of possibilities that haven't been tapped into. An entire thread could be made of people making them up with zero effort.

And PLEASE let me change my controls a bit more. Namely, the special being R3. It is so unnatural for me to clutch a Kraken out by pressing it, and when I'm using a weapon with Inkstrike and I get too intense into a shootout, a couple times I've pressed too hard on the stick and ended up waddling around with a missile strapped to my back, looking down as I get shot at.

Oh, and the game pad is not needed. In fact I'd much prefer it if I could hold a button to pop a map on the screen that can toggle between possible jump points. It is unnatural and some times even dangerous to look away and examine another screen in the middle of fight. If I was given this option I'd flicker the map up all the time as I move around just to increase my map awareness while simultaneously inking and swimming. Maybe looking at the map should be dangerous and they want that, just something I'd appreciate.

All I got for now aside from things that are either coming or have been said here already. Really love battle mode suggestions, free for alls, and giving the player the chance to be and play as octolings because I'd totally rather be octarian lol. I'd like for them to go all in with the multiplayer/online aspect of the game. The "story" mode was great for introducing me to moving around the inkling without recklessly diving into a team and I appreciate that experience, but now I want to play with others.
Some pretty nice suggestions I have to say! I agree with you on the gear, most of it looks unappealing to me. This is why I want to transfer abilities between gear so we can look cool as we splat other players. As for new abilities, that would be nice, like maybe for example having an ability that enhances a particular stat like range or move speed for Rollers since there's no gear that increases that. Heck, even powerups in the actual stages would be pretty useful.

About the controls, yeah they're kinda awkward but after playing it for awhile you get used to it. Even so, specials could have been assigned either to the A and B button instead of to R3. Still, I agree that we shouldn't have to use the gamepad. The Pro Controller would have been far better.

Octolings ought to be playable too. Really is no reason for them not to be. We're just given their gear and that's it. Better than nothing I guess.

All told I don't have any major complaints with the game. It certainly could have been better but we'll see what Nintendo brings us as dlc.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
I feel like they're saving the octolings for later, hopefully in a gamemode like TF2's Mann vs Machine mode.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Some pretty nice suggestions I have to say! I agree with you on the gear, most of it looks unappealing to me. This is why I want to transfer abilities between gear so we can look cool as we splat other players. As for new abilities, that would be nice, like maybe for example having an ability that enhances a particular stat like range or move speed for Rollers since there's no gear that increases that. Heck, even powerups in the actual stages would be pretty useful.
Yeah, new gear would be cool, and new abilities would be neat too (especially Roller Speed Up, why isn't that a thing already?). Maybe add an ability that restores some of your ink when you splatter someone and call it Ink Pirate (gotta combat those ninja Squids somehow).
I don't want to picture a Dynamo Roller with Attack Range Up though, they're already painful enough as is. Or an E-Liter for that matter. Or an Aerospray.

About the controls, yeah they're kinda awkward but after playing it for awhile you get used to it. Even so, specials could have been assigned either to the A and B button instead of to R3. Still, I agree that we shouldn't have to use the gamepad. The Pro Controller would have been far better.
Or map special activation to the L trigger. It isn't used for anything else, so why not?
I can't picture using a non-Gamepad controller for Splatoon just because touching icons on the map is how you superjump (they can patch a minimap on the main screen into the game, but I'm not sure how to deal with this problem), but if that could be solved then I'd be all for it!

Octolings ought to be playable too. Really is no reason for them not to be. We're just given their gear and that's it. Better than nothing I guess.
We aren't even given all of it, they have a unique gun model that we can't have (would be nice to use that online, maybe as a stronger, slower-firing Splattershot with Splat Bombs and Inkstrike), maybe a future Amiibo release could give it to us? Just wishful thinking, I wouldn't have a problem with more Amiibos if the release was handled well (I've heard bad things about other Amiibo launches, but I don't know anything firsthand)), but yeah, I'd love to see playable Octolings (preferably just as customizable as Inklings).

I feel like they're saving the octolings for later, hopefully in a gamemode like TF2's Mann vs Machine mode.
Ooh, that would be neat too (what's Mann vs Machine? I've seen TF2 videos on YouTube, but I've never seen this).

All told I don't have any major complaints with the game. It certainly could have been better but we'll see what Nintendo brings us as dlc.
Agreed. Everything except the August update (better matchmaking & lobbies, from what I recall) is just icing on the cake to me at this point.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
It's a survival mode where you battle waves of robots. It's pretty unless you know what you are doing, especially the bosses. You can also purchase upgrades each round (more damage, higher rate of fire, etc.)

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
It's a survival mode where you battle waves of robots. It's pretty unless you know what you are doing, especially the bosses. You can also purchase upgrades each round (more damage, higher rate of fire, etc.)
That sounds like something that could translate to Splatoon pretty well (with Octarians instead of robots, or maybe alongside Octarian robots: we already have bosses, I could see Octostomp and Octomaw working for this sort of thing, maybe a modified DJ Octavio too, so that wouldn't be a problem). What kind of upgrades do you think would work for this kind of mode?

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
gg I just realized I called it a survival when it's not really. It's more like robots come from a few lanes while one carries a bomb. When you kill the one with the bomb, another robot will pick it up. The robots try to bring the bomb up to the spawn point point, and you must stop them before they bring the bomb up to your base.
I think some kinds of upgrades that could be implemented are just most of the abilities, such as damage up, and things like jump height up, fire rate up, and regenerating health (only if the time to kill was higher, though).

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
gg I just realized I called it a survival when it's not really. It's more like robots come from a few lanes while one carries a bomb. When you kill the one with the bomb, another robot will pick it up. The robots try to bring the bomb up to the spawn point point, and you must stop them before they bring the bomb up to your base.
I think some kinds of upgrades that could be implemented are just most of the abilities, such as damage up, and things like jump height up, fire rate up, and regenerating health (only if the time to kill was higher, though).
That sounds even better! From how you're describing it, it could even work on some of the current multiplayer maps (I'm imagining it on Port Mackerel right now, with Octarians coming out of one spawn point and your team defending the other, or maybe defending the center in Kelp Dome while Octarians attack it from all sides, but I could see every map but working (some might benefit from putting your spawn in the center though, maybe Arowana/Walleye/aforementioned Kelp Dome?)), though maybe the Octo Valley bosses wouldn't work (but they could make new ones, maybe specialized Octolings / Octostrikers / smaller DJ Octavio mecha). Maybe instead of a bomb, you have to keep them from inking an area (like a Splat Zone, but with the other team being computers, and not Inklings, and having a set amount of time to take it back if it gets inked over and losing if you fail, and this is sounding more like Splat Zones-against-the-computer than I thought it would, is that bad?).

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
I'm not sure if it would work on Port Mackerel, but I can defiantly see splat zones-against-the-computer working, considering that the map is really big with lots of turns. I could also see modified versions of existing bosses, such as the Octowhirl, working pretty well. All they would have to do is give Octotroopers legs and then they could easily be the main enemies of the mode.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I'm not sure if it would work on Port Mackerel, but I can defiantly see splat zones-against-the-computer working, considering that the map is really big with lots of turns. I could also see modified versions of existing bosses, such as the Octowhirl, working pretty well. All they would have to do is give Octotroopers legs and then they could easily be the main enemies of the mode.
I just pictured Mackerel because it has corridors, and you said lanes so my mind just put those together.
I didn't quite mean an-exact-copy-of-Splat-Zones-but-against-an-Octarian-horde, just that it could have similar mechanics.
Octotroopers already have legs, they're just tiny. And they could be the main enemies on their hovercraft-thingies too, with a speed boost (both moving and shooting), maybe more power and durability too (no power-up for Twintacles though, they're more like gatling guns anyway so they probably don't need more power).
How would Octowhirl work on any multiplayer map? I'm having a bit of trouble picturing it, mainly because of the rolling attack.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
A scaled down octowhirl could work, but it would need different movements (rolling into a wall and stopping for a moment while he recovers, then rolling towards his goal again).
I was thinking more like legs on their hovercrafts (I always thought it was just a platform since they don't really move)
like this

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
A scaled down octowhirl could work, but it would need different movements (rolling into a wall and stopping for a moment while he recovers, then rolling towards his goal again).
I was thinking more like legs on their hovercrafts (I always thought it was just a platform since they don't really move)
like this
Ah, yeah, that could work. Scaled down bosses would be great for this sort of thing: smaller Octostomp would just be a larger, more durable Octostamp but could still be really annoying, smaller Octonozzle could be an annoying enemy that attacks from a long distance and requires that you either split up to deal with it (having something guarding the nozzle of course, can't make it too easy to deal with now can we?) or continually re-ink your zone, mini-Octowhirl you already covered, smaller Octomaw could be a great (and by great I mean nasty) surprise attacker, mini-DJ-Octavio-DJ-Stage-Of-Mass-Destruction... this is the only one I'm having trouble figuring out; maybe it could start by dropping a giant glasses-ink-missile on you (that you can deflect, of course, if you're willing to divert fire from everything else coming at you, but he'd probably dodge it if you did that), then come at you with heavily-damaging fists (either you have to deflect his punches back at him to destroy him, or you can't do that and have to shoot him directly to destroy him but can maybe slow the fists enough that they don't quite reach you by shooting them), and if you leave him alone long enough he deploys the Killer Wail. I'm just spitballing here, but I think it could work.
And an Octotrooper with legs... Yeah, that's a good idea too now that I've got a pic (thought you wanted them running around without their hovercrafts, which would be funny but probably ineffectual). The added mobility would certainly be a boon to those slow things, and you could make it so shooting their legs doesn't damage them, but can destroy the legs, reducing them to their normal slowness (and shocking them momentarily, during which you could splatter them if you were fast enough). Maybe they could kick you too if you got too close.

MrGameBoy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DaveFeimous
Ranked in increasing importance:

1. A way to skip the Squid Sisters banter upon starting up the game. It takes a tad longer than it should be get into whatever you're wanting to do.
2. A better way to organize your weaponry/gear. There's just too much stuff to keep track of.
3. Map rotation set to 3 maps every 2 hours. While 2 maps isn't too bad, the 4 hour duration is.
4. Voice chat with friends only when playing in customized matches.
5. Full implementation of non-GamePad controllers, especially of the Wii Remote (Plus) + Nunchuk. While the GamePad's dual-analog + gyro is well-implemented, a pointer-based control scheme would be incredible, with being able to aim almost anywhere on-screen and turn easily once outside of a customized deadzone. Not to mention it'd be easier to access the super weapon by pressing up on the +Control Pad instead of having to press an analog stick. Plus, it's easier to view the map when it's propped right next to you rather than having to tilt your face away from the TV and down on the GamePad screen. One way to super-jump and/or launch an inkstrike with non-GamePad controllers would be to hold the + Button, select a target with an analog stick (or IR pointer), and then confirm with the squid button (Z for Wii Remote, ZL for others).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom