• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

What would you like to see in Splatoon 3?

agent8(hachi)

Pro Squid
Pronouns
He/Him
NNID
derek
I feel like they need to maybe change up how the disconnect systems work. I hate the fact that you get assigned a loss for having terrible internet. Nintendo needs to stop it

Shiranui

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shiranui
Better matchmaking. It's clear in the first 30 seconds who the better team is 90% of the time.

iVialeko

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5878-9511-9588
I would like to see a level editor/creator utilizing shifty station canvases from Splatoon 2, as well as assets from the shifty station environments. Not only would this to me increase content tenfold and add an existing means of entertainment within the game through community driven content, (both to those creating, and those playing the created content) but I also think such a thing would actually be pretty doable, more doable than you may initially think.

When thinking of this level editor/creator, think more of the likes of a Mario Maker, but on an even smaller scale. Essentially, you can choose the canvases from existing shifty station maps seen in Splatoon 2, like how you choose pre-selected background environments when designing levels in Mario Maker games. Furthermore, in relation to Mario Maker, you would have a list of assets in which you could place and arrange on these shifty station canvases to help design your stage.

This wouldn't be anything wild like you being able to create your own skyboxes or environments from scratch like a developer, nor would you be able to make custom objects, but rather edit the properties of existing objects allocated to the users in implementing and arranging however they please. I also wouldn't imagine Nintendo allowing players full access to their own mainline stages to be edited in however fashion they please. (mainline meaning multiplayer stages in current and past game rotations, such as Inkblot, Makomart, etc.) I just don't see Nintendo allowing players to edit and alter stages already in the rotation, or those whom are already made, as they may deem user editing on these stage canvases as too drastic changes to their original counterparts. (especially knowing Nintendo with other things such as the history in usage of their own music on YouTube, too controlling in my eyes of their own content to allow complete creative control and freedom to edit actual rotational stages, if you know what I mean)

What I do believe in how Nintendo could handle their level creator editor though is to bring back the shifty stations and utilize them both in lore from both their absence/return, and their repurpose now in Splatoon 3. (since they aren't used now in commemorative stages off of Splatfests) How many assets for canvases depends on how much Nintendo would want to give users, so it could just be from the Shifty Stations, or they could also expand with Octo Expansion related assets likewise in their nighttime themed environments with 8-balls and what not. Since this would mainly in my eyes be Nintendo utilizing the shifty stations again from my own personal beliefs in how Nintendo would create a level editor/creator, I would imagine that items would mainly stick to those used in past Shifty Station stages. However, I wouldn't see why Nintendo wouldn't allow users some additional resources from their in-house Splatoon 3 campaign as well, such as interact-able kettle pods.

There are also additional elements one may question, such as how many items/objects can be placed on a canvas, can the time of day be changed to be brighter like rotational stages, (unlike shifty station stages) can these pre-selected shifty station canvases be minimized or stretched out in their size, and how much freedom will Nintendo allow users to place objectives for ranked modes, as well as general objects and items in distance apart from each other, as well as with the canvases' geometry and natural terrain.

banyochan

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6259-3813-8693
All I want is a better online experience. Netcode that works and matchmaking that makes sense, I pretty much do the bare minimum in Splatoon right now considering other games are a much better online experience. At this point all I can do is wait for next generation Nintendo hardware and hope they address issues along the way. Input lag is the third thing on my list, and I suspect that this is an issue related to Switch hardware.

Also, the three-way splatfests are a big flop for me. At this point I just mash a through all the updates on them, grind my way to ruler and then log in after the results to get my shells. I don't even care about the themes as they seem lackluster, I don't care if I win or lose, the shirt designs are sub-par, and choices you make feel pretty restricted. How come there was no team salty in the flavor splatfest? Why expect me to care about chocolate when I could write a lengthy post about everything I have to say on that matter, and it would boil down to wanting a team no chocolate? Splatoon 2 did splatfests way better, and the shirts looked so good I grabbed one from the Nintendo store when I had a chance.

I'm not a big fan of the battle pass system in this game either. There's no way to level up faster, and it pretty much means that you have to check in on the game a bunch of times every season to get through the pass to max level, or risk missing out. If you haven't bought the game close to launch, you're already far behind others, and the value you get out of the game is much lower. I don't see Nintendo having a pricing system where these games become cheaper over time. Splatoon 2 is a dead game, yet they still charge as much for it as they did on day one.

this single-player mode is still in the right direction for base storylines becoming much more than just glorified tutorials
I have to disagree, Splatoon 3 was pretty bad, especially compared to Octo Expansion, because it was extremely easy, making it feel like a glorified tutorial. It tried giving more of what made DLC great, but fell flat by making it all too easy. Even After Alterna was a quick thing, about a hour of grinding to get through it blind.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@banyochan
The intial single player mode is almost always a glorified tutorial
You gotta remember a lot of new players are constantly joining Spaltoon and many people will start with the single player mode before going to mutliplayer

So Nintnedo makes it so that while fun and having a good story it is essentially a way to explain, new concepts to players so it is ususally easier so people of all skill levels can enjoy it

Future DLC though both cuz it comes later in development and caters to longtime fans can be alot harder which is why even now Octo Expansion was so fun and rewarding
When the new DLC comes out (my guess there might even be mutliple new story modes since they are adding all the old hub locations). You will find the challenge you are looking for

banyochan

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6259-3813-8693
You gotta remember a lot of new players are constantly joining Spaltoon and many people will start with the single player mode before going to mutliplayer
I could write a whole lot about how online games are ruined by being designed for low skill players, and this is just acknowledging the problem, but not trying to solve it in any way.

Cephalobro

I could write a whole lot about how online games are ruined by being designed for low skill players, and this is just acknowledging the problem, but not trying to solve it in any way.
The real problems are actually the gacha and pay-to-win systems. At least the low skill players can actually get better by just playing. But as soon as RNG is combined with currency, that's what ruins the online experience.

banyochan

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6259-3813-8693
The real problems are actually the gacha and pay-to-win systems. At least the low skill players can actually get better by just playing. But as soon as RNG is combined with currency, that's what ruins the online experience.
Trust me, people are really good at calling out anything that's pay to win. I wish Nintendo would design their games to be competitive at a high level, and let people compete rather than taking down tournaments, maybe creating their own one on a rare occasion, claiming that they have laughable prizes, and then not giving them to winners.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
As you might guess I don't see anything wrong with this especially since for the most part in Spaltoon this is a very small issue to poke at imo, story mode being easy is ok as long as the game itself is hand holding you for everything else.
In fact designing a mode in a game for low skill players at least give people an entry point to the game and is imo good game design

Thought I do have an issue when the game is balanced around a low skill floor cuz or has a shallow skill ceiling, like I said easy modes or a mode where people can grow an learn in is good but the problem is when that is all the game has to offer

TLDR; Splatoon intial story modes have always been a glorified tutorial S1 and S2 story modes weren't all that great and your main comparison Octo Expansion was added DLC which S3 hasn't recieved yet which will likely give you the challenge you are looking for

I do admit I enjoy the catalog experience it feels stressful at 1st it make you feel you need to play everyday but even without crazy grinding just playing a few games of turf war in between some competitve games should get you the full catalong in little over a months time

Do I desperately wish that there was a way to get shakes to improve the speed of the catalog grind...kinda,
but knowing Splatoon it will probably just come back in a mini catalog event, or they will provide some other way to obtain the items cuz if they block people in with a wall to get the gear they want...that will cause a lot of issues in the community

banyochan

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6259-3813-8693
even without crazy grinding just playing a few games of turf war
If I could pay to not have to play the game at all unless I want to, I'd love to do that over wasting my time I could spend playing a game that's more fun. In fact, I was hoping to have fun with an all-grizzco rotation in SR, but I'm running into bad people effectively throwing games and making me lose rank. Splatoon's matchmaking is a joke.

orthus

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-2321-7883-5419
What i really wanna see is way better maps. prochara made a video about it and it explains it amazingly, but the main gist is that so far splatoon 3 has ruined the maps, as there are more chokepoints than inklings on the map and there are absolutely no flank routes. (that was hammerhead if you couldnt tell) and hopefully in the spring update they will fix it with manta and the new one. An amazing example of a good map is the reef, from splatoon 2. just go watch the video please

Ac℮

Inkster Jr.
Walleye Warehouse, Moray Towers, and Wahoo World
NNID
MyPetCocoa
Switch Friend Code
SW-7135-3637-2316
I just want many more ways of obtaining money in the game. I'd literally just add in a arcade machine or something to the lobby, that is a full game and everything, that can let you earn lots and lots of money from it if you can do good in it. There just feels like there aren't enough ways to get money in this game.

Cephalobro

I agree that there should be more ways to get a lot of money, maybe convert Power Eggs collected in Alterna into cash. I just don't like how there's a lot of waiting involved just to get the stuff that I want. You only get one shot to get a banner for the day for a measly 5000, after that, each attempt costs 30,000, now that's too much to ask for. Not only that, but from Salmon Run, cash is only earned within the first 12 bonuses, after that, just more duplicates of the gear you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom