• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What's Up With VC?

db132

Full Squid
I dislike that there's no voice chat though it isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me. I feel as though having more options is never a bad thing and if people don't want to hear other players, they can simply mute them or turn off voice chat in the options menu. COD: Black Ops 2 even has voice chat turned off by default on the Wii U version, don't see why it would be so bad if the same were to happen in this game.

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
Voice chat would put more strain on the servers, the mic of gamepad is terrible, and the advantages it can provide are dubious at best. Heck, about half the people on this thread are saying "Well I wouldn't use it, but it's the principle of the thing."

How about we don't waste resources on something that is more likely to be a net negative?

toadster101

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0022-0027-5937
The lack of in-game voice chat is very disappointing and is going to hurt the game's competitively longevity. Anybody who doesn't have access to Skype, Ventrillo, TeamSpeak, etc. is put at an immediate disadvantage. Verbal communication for any game, team based or not, is highly beneficial. There is absolutely no reason not to include voice chat, especially with friends. All opposition towards it seems to be coming from people who will eat whatever Nintendo spoon feeds them and people completely inexperienced with online gaming. If you don't like using voice chat, turn it off. It's not hard. More options are never a bad thing.

lightdasher

Pro Squid
The lack of in-game voice chat is very disappointing and is going to hurt the game's competitively longevity. Anybody who doesn't have access to Skype, Ventrillo, TeamSpeak, etc. is put at an immediate disadvantage. Verbal communication for any game, team based or not, is highly beneficial. There is absolutely no reason not to include voice chat, especially with friends. All opposition towards it seems to be coming from people who will eat whatever Nintendo spoon feeds them and people completely inexperienced with online gaming. If you don't like using voice chat, turn it off. It's not hard. More options are never a bad thing.
But complaining about stuff a game doesn't have is also stupid, if you complain it doesn't have one thing then you've opened up the floodgates to a barrage of things it doesn't have, Splatoon doesn't have Pacman! Splatoon doesn't have Free-for-All! Splatoon Doesn't have this splatoon doesn't have that.

I've seen people complain that the games are 3 minutes each, or that you can't not use the gamepad. Why just stop at Voicechat when there's so many other things it doesn't have? Splatoon is a shooter, but it's not like every other shooter, you don't play it like TF2 or COD or Loadout or whatever, the game tells you so much that a game like TF2 wont, plus it's speed and flow of the game doesn't help voicechat either, picture this, you get splattered, you see your friend about to get splattered, you've spawned literally 3 seconds later, in the time it would probably take you to tell your teammate to watch out he's probably splattered and respawned already while you're rocketing out elsewhere.

Besides most games with a competitive scene use a 3rd party chat system anyway.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
But complaining about stuff a game doesn't have is also stupid, if you complain it doesn't have one thing then you've opened up the floodgates to a barrage of things it doesn't have
gonna just go ahead and stop you right there

team communication in a team game is not anywhere near the level of 'non-team game modes' or 'completely unrelated games within the game' when it comes to expectations of features that can be in the game

personally I don't care about voice chat in the game because I'd be using skype anyway, but not everyone has a laptop or lives in their own place where they can just set everything up so that they can use 3rd party software. most competitive games are PC games where such an issue does not exist.

toadster101

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0022-0027-5937
But complaining about stuff a game doesn't have is also stupid, if you complain it doesn't have one thing then you've opened up the floodgates to a barrage of things it doesn't have, Splatoon doesn't have Pacman! Splatoon doesn't have Free-for-All! Splatoon Doesn't have this splatoon doesn't have that.
What an asinine comparison. There's a difference between voice chat and additional playable characters. Voice chat is important for any team based shooter so you can actually communicate with your teammates instead of just running around the map aimlessly. You can't formulate a strategy if you can't communicate with the people you're playing with. End of story. Complaining about things we don't like an era where games can get patched is what consumers should be doing. Maybe Nintendo would be willing to add voice chat in a future update if there's enough fan outcry. It's not like technical limitations are holding them back, so there's no excuse not to listen to the very people who are keeping their business afloat. While it may be true that many people already have access to voice chat through other means, nobody should be forced to download additional software just so they can chat with their friends, especially since the Wii U GamePad has a built in microphone.

lightdasher

Pro Squid
team communication in a team game is not anywhere near the level of 'non-team game modes' or 'completely unrelated games within the game' when it comes to expectations of features that can be in the game

personally I don't care about voice chat in the game because I'd be using skype anyway, but not everyone has a laptop or lives in their own place where they can just set everything up so that they can use 3rd party software. most competitive games are PC games where such an issue does not exist.
This is exactly why Splatoon is different, it pretty much gives you all the information you need, two guys splatting in one area? what's the point, just find somewhere else to spray, pinned down by enemy squid? super jump away. just because it's a teamgame doesn't mean it has to have voice chat

What an asinine comparison. There's a difference between voice chat and additional playable characters. Voice chat is important for any team based shooter so you can actually communicate with your teammates instead of just running around the map aimlessly. You can't formulate a strategy if you can't communicate with the people you're playing with. End of story. Complaining about things we don't like an era where games can get patched is what consumers should be doing. Maybe Nintendo would be willing to add voice chat in a future update if there's enough fan outcry. It's not like technical limitations are holding them back, so there's no excuse not to listen to the very people who are keeping their business afloat. While it may be true that many people have access to voice chat through other means, nobody should be forced to download additional software just so they can chat with their friends.
What stratergy? If your ink is not there spray it there, it's the most basic thing. Give me an example where you would actually need voice chat, please.

Last edited:

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
This is exactly why Splatoon is different, it pretty much gives you all the information you need, two guys splatting in one area? what's the point, just find somewhere else to spray, pinned down by enemy squid? super jump away. just because it's a teamgame doesn't mean it has to have voice chat
it actually doesn't give you the information you need. co-ordination with your team, especially higher in the ladder, needs to be proactive and pre-emptive. you can't know your teammate is going to spawn and jump to you until they do it; if you know in advance, you can push up or pull back to be in a more advantageous (or less disadvantageous) position. knowing where your team wants to roll out, knowing what your role is, knowing how much assistance is required and whether or not you're needed ("oh hey this guy is getting pinned down let me go help him... oops, our entire team jumped in at once, that was unnecessary")... the list continues

knowing what your team is going to do, planning how you're going to break an encirclement, planning how you're going to set up on the point, communicating anything you want to do before you do it, these are all things that are vital to high level teamplay but that splatoon does not allow for

feel free to elaborate on why you believe this is not as important as I'm making it out to be. personally, after having led the best mkw & mk8 team in the world for four years, most of which completely without voice communication (because we wanted to see how well we could do without it), I like to think I've learned a thing or two about what you can and cannot get away with, but I'm always open to learn more perspectives

lightdasher

Pro Squid
you can't know your teammate is going to spawn and jump to you until they do it;
I'm just gonna stop you there and point out you have a whole 6 seconds warning time before they actually drop down on you

knowing what your team is going to do, planning how you're going to break an encirclement, planning how you're going to set up on the point, communicating anything you want to do before you do it, these are all things that are vital to high level teamplay but that splatoon does not allow for
Thing is, if you're going to be playing at high level play, that is, lan or local or tournaments or anything, there WILL be third-party software or programs or whatever to reduce lag, just look at League of Legends or SMITE or TF2 competetive.

feel free to elaborate on why you believe this is not as important as I'm making it out to be. personally, after having led the best mkw & mk8 team in the world for four years, most of which completely without voice communication (because we wanted to see how well we could do without it), I like to think I've learned a thing or two about what you can and cannot get away with, but I'm always open to learn more perspectives
I can't elaborate as much as just saying "The game pretty much tells you all you need to know" because if you can't see that I don't know how you're playing the game.

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
Splatoon is fast but not as fast people make it out to be. You have alot of a free time in game also when your covering empty areas there is time to talk. If you played any unreal tourament game or other games you can mutitask. More options is great. I have a group friends who really want a wiiu and splatoon but don't wanna buy it due to the console's lack of convenience. Setting up games, chatting and joining each other would be a hassle and still need outside means.

lightdasher

Pro Squid
It still baffels me people are going to let a new IP die simply because of "muh voice chat"

It wasn't a simple case of "do we put it in or not?" There chose to not include it as a design choice as well as to avoid toxicity and to let a wider audience play, you have to remember that not just teens will play it, but maybe your 6 year old cousin or your mother or teens ect.

And I'm going to say now before you split on me because I'm kind of giving off the impression anyway, but while I don't like the idea of voice chat in splatoon, doesn't mean I'd flip out if it got put in, I believe it was hinted on nintendos twitter that they'll probably put it in in a future update because Splatoon is too far in development/gone gold to tweak around something not a lot of people will use.

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
It still baffels me people are going to let a new IP die simply because of "muh voice chat"
It's nobodys fault but nintendo's. The game has other issues besides voice chat like no party system until 3 months later. Consoles are about convenience. A person can call me on WiiU chat that is okay. I wanna speak to a friend or family member in game nope. Even tho inklings wear headsets i can't even use one.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
I'm just gonna stop you there and point out you have a whole 6 seconds warning time before they actually drop down on you

Thing is, if you're going to be playing at high level play, that is, lan or local or tournaments or anything, there WILL be third-party software or programs or whatever to reduce lag, just look at League of Legends or SMITE or TF2 competetive.

I can't elaborate as much as just saying "The game pretty much tells you all you need to know" because if you can't see that I don't know how you're playing the game.
my point regarding super jumps is that your teammate can point out that they are going to jump to you before you've respawned; if you're co-ordinating a push, they can know who to jump to in advance, tell them, and then you can account for that and not have to use an inefficient formation

whether or not there is third-party software isn't the point. people are going nuts over LANs, but LANs will be the extreme minority of cases and voice comms are most important when you haven't organised strats in advance that could be conducted without voice comms.

the game might tell you a lot, but if you're holding mid against an enemy push, looking at the gamepad to see who's doing what will get you killed. you can notice that the other team is short a player, call it out, and someone who is not holding off 3 people can check the map and see what's going on. and that's just in that specific example. and even if the game does tell you all you need to know about the status of the game, having no way to co-ordinate a team of random players in solo matchmaking severely restricts the tactical options and depth that is available to you. not being able to plan strats with your team in the first few seconds is severely detrimental to how well the online meta can develop.

anyway, this makes three posts on this line of argument with no concession either way, so I'm out

toadster101

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0022-0027-5937
Give me a break. Why would I bother making an account on this forum if I wasn't looking forward to the game? However, there's no denying that the competitive community will never reach its full potential due to the absence of in-game voice chat. Yes, some high level players will just use Skype instead. But again, not everybody has access to it, and they'll be at a disadvantage because of it. Does that sound fair to you? The irony is that Nintendo's misguided attempt at "protecting the kids" is just going to lead little Johnny to pursue voice chat through other means, and Skype is a far more dangerous place than Nintendo's own ecosystem.

Bullcrap, people feel entitled to Voice Chat, it is not Nintendos fault
"entitled"

It's a video game. We don't owe Nintendo our money. They have to earn it. And if people don't want to buy the game because it's missing rudimentary features that are available in literally every other modern team based shooter, then that's their choice. I don't necessarily agree with that choice, but this isn't a charity.

lightdasher

Pro Squid
my point regarding super jumps is that your teammate can point out that they are going to jump to you before you've respawned; if you're co-ordinating a push, they can know who to jump to in advance, tell them, and then you can account for that and not have to use an inefficient formation

whether or not there is third-party software isn't the point. people are going nuts over LANs, but LANs will be the extreme minority of cases and voice comms are most important when you haven't organised strats in advance that could be conducted without voice comms.

the game might tell you a lot, but if you're holding mid against an enemy push, looking at the gamepad to see who's doing what will get you killed. you can notice that the other team is short a player, call it out, and someone who is not holding off 3 people can check the map and see what's going on. and that's just in that specific example. and even if the game does tell you all you need to know about the status of the game, having no way to co-ordinate a team of random players in solo matchmaking severely restricts the tactical options and depth that is available to you. not being able to plan strats with your team in the first few seconds is severely detrimental to how well the online meta can develop.

anyway, this makes three posts on this line of argument with no concession either way, so I'm out
Let me just drop this video here then
Skip to about 1:45 if you want to hear the actual argument

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
Bullcrap, people feel entitled to Voice Chat, it is not Nintendos fault
There we go consumers wanting a feature some how entitled despite the game own issues. The option would not be forced on anyone if it was friends only nobody loses. Nintendo didn't provide something people have a right not to wanna support or buy it. The gamepad has a built in mic.

lightdasher

Pro Squid
There we go consumers wanting a feature some how entitled despite the game own issues. The option would not be forced on anyone if it was friends only nobody loses. Nintendo didn't provide something people have a right not to wanna support or buy it. The gamepad has a built in mic.
Gamepad also has customizable voice commands

lightdasher

Pro Squid
Can you actually provide a source that the messages can be customised? I was hoping that they'd be but I havent heard anything about it.

Listen to the whole half minute of that (from 13:25), he says "a couple of built in presetS" implying there are multiple, I mean hell even in the testfire America, Europe and Japan had different voice commands

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom