What's Up With VC?

Kat

Wet, Warm & Sticky
NNID
FunkyFlump
There are probably ways, but none of them I know of.

Still though, which one would have to be more important, hearing the game or hearing your teammates? I always thought that was supposedly a gamble if the game itself had voice chat anyway.
I mean mainly it's the frequencies as far as I was aware. Lower volume dialogue is pretty easy to distinguish from louder game audio if balanced right, a lot of games have something called ducking too which lowers the volume of the game on the fly when someone talks, most games at least have chat volume adjustment too. With a headset on the audio of whatever is outside your cans is going to be muddy and really hard to make out. I'm not arguing for weather or not voice chat should be implemented, clearly a grey area and Nintendo have just made a choice based on the general audience. I'm just wanting to know if anyone has an easy way to achieve this voice chat effect without compromise as I'd love to have the best of both worlds without excessive messing about.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think the annoying really is, like everyone said, is that it isn't even option. I'm never going to use it sure, but the fact a lot of people might be turn off by this worries me.

StarKun

Full Squid
I think the annoying really is, like everyone said, is that it isn't even option. I'm never going to use it sure, but the fact a lot of people might be turn off by this worries me.
It always has been nagging at me that the sales might not be that great for this game. My worries worsened when everyone got upset about the lack of VC

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
I actually just saw this today its pretty crazy

edit: yah idk about VC. At least with friends tho.
For strategy mb? ppl say gameplay is too fast to be useful but idk. i see it being useful

Last edited:

Kat

Wet, Warm & Sticky
NNID
FunkyFlump
Going to work on making a couple of guides for seamless integration of Skype/TS3 audio and mic etc and game audio if you have a headset with 2 3.5mm jacks, 1 for mic and 1 for audio. I'll look into as many different setups as possible.

Kat

Wet, Warm & Sticky
NNID
FunkyFlump
I know one pretty common way to go about it in situations like this: Use earbuds for one set of sounds, and over-ear headphones for the other.
Yeah I was planning on doing this, however after a bit of thinking I've come up with one solid solution but's a bit of a hefty setup. Requires a condenser and a 3.5mm jack to jack lead and a PC with line in however it's the cheapest. If you're willing to spend about $20-30 then it's a a lot simpler. Honestly it's looking like earbuds is going to be the only way to use a headset easily without cost or too much messing around.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think lack of voice chat is one of the best things about this game. ;) Splatoon doesn't seem like the kind of game that actually needs voice chat, anyways. This isn't Counter Strike.

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
I think that there would be real use for a voice chat but it not being in the game is not a total crusher either. Arranging voice chat via 3rd party programs is easy and effortless but all people still cant access those.

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
my problem with it is not so much that I wont be able to use it, as it is that its not an option. I feel like whether the competitive gaming community is too negative or not should be the player's decision, not that of the company that makes the game.

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
Nintendo has made miiverse a social networking forum of some sort. Where you can talk to the whole userbase and your friends but you can't talk with them but u can WiiU chat with them which makes no sense. There will be strategists that people come up on the fly that you can't tell people through a premade message. Some my friends aren't getting the game day 1 due to the interviews and how the devs know the consumers want the option and pretty much said well find another way. They should try to meet people half way. There positives and negatives to everything.

FlareHabanero

Increases the Excitement
Miiverse is not practical for discussing strategies during matches though. Hell it's not convenient for match making in general.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral

For strategy mb? ppl say gameplay is too fast to be useful but idk. i see it being useful
Ok, this is a problem. I mean wow. That many people complaining in a row about not having voice chat on a facebook post that has next to nothing to do with that.

Yeah...They need to seriously change their minds about this.

StarKun

Full Squid

That's just sad.

*pointing to my icon every time I walk into this thread*

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Idk, I think I was going to end up using a third party like skype/raidcall/etc. anyway b/c the microphones on the gamepads are pretty bad.
I posted the video just to show everyone that there are people who still want it.

I think voice chat will be very important, for building team strategies. Do I think it will be useful moment by moment like CoD? No, because Splatoon is indeed fast and you are constantly dieing and respawning anyway. However perhaps halfway through the match when an adaption needs to be made, or most importantly at the end of the match when you're team is deciding what weapons everyone should go as. Then everyone could decide what role they will play (backup, attacker, infiltrating enemy base, etc.). In those regards it will be crucial to talk to your Squad, as you talk to each other, decide what strategies work, it will only help Squads find their go to strategy and get better quicker.
Again, most likely the the squad I'm in (Inkzooka Squad) will be using 3rd party anyways. And besides I'd rather nintendo use their time improving the game in other aspects (if it required no effort on Nintendo's part, then sure why not)

Actilide

Inkling Cadet
In my opinion it was a really good choice to not have voice chat, I probably wouldn't use it anyway, the only people I wanna communicate with are gonna be people I already have on skype anyway

StarKun

Full Squid
If one thinks about it, there's really no BIG reason for the game to have voice chat. The only problem I see with it is if the angry people actually don't play the game and make sales plummet.

FlareHabanero

Increases the Excitement
If people actually don't buy the game because of the exclusion of an already controversial feature on a system that sports a pretty rubbish microphone by default, then I don't know what to say.

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
I can see why a lot of people are annoyed about it, but to be honest with you, I personally prefer using my computer for voice chat. I have more options when it comes to VC on my computer and the quality will almost certainly be better than what the Wii U could've offered. Not to mention it's likely that team communication would be mixed in with the game music and sounds

In-game sounds are often very important, especially in shooters. There have been many times where I've heard trouble approaching me in TF2 thanks to listening to the sounds. I'd prefer to enjoy hearing the music and noises from the game as well as hearing my friends/team clearly through my headset.

Some people may want to communicate with the random players they get matched up with, but honestly I really think you should play this game with a team of friends as much as possible. If no in-game VC is such a major flaw that will stop you from buying the game, then I really have no idea what to say.

Teddy

Senior Squid
NNID
EggplantAlloy
If this weren't a squid-themed paintball game on the Wii U, I could see lack of voicechat having an impact on sales. The developers know their audience. There are plenty of better voicechat options online than a Wii U game could offer anyway, if it's that important to the competitive scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom