Why Competitive Splatoon should use all Game Modes instead of one

Manta

Senior Squid
include all modes
Then if it gets to the point where "there's more than just in game rewards" why would we choose to play something as random as Turf War? Read flc's post right above yours if you don't believe me (a random internet user with very little credibility when it comes to Splatoon).

Yogororo

Inkling
NNID
Yogororo
Just to give my 2 cents, I am on the same side of flc, where we include all game modes and eventually weed out weaker ones. However I do believe that we can also push for a TF2 Highlander-like league or format, centered on bringing more casual/newer players into the scene. This format is also people who prefer the modes that are seen as less competitive. This is only after comp gets going of course, we shouldn't split player pools right out of the gate.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
Turf Wars is my personal favorite mode in Splatoon so far, and I've got great strategies for it. I'd prefer playing competitively than playing Splatzones or Tower Control competitively.

Mr.HawK

The Artist
Then if it gets to the point where "there's more than just in game rewards" why would we choose to play something as random as Turf War? Read flc's post right above yours if you don't believe me (a random internet user with very little credibility when it comes to Splatoon).
I can understand the turmoil with turf war, but honestly if people are gonna start using the word fluke to justify them loosing matches then there's no reason to take that seriously. I've had these "flukes" happen to me and i've bee able to actually avoid them. oh and the "perfect team argument" is bull, weapons dont make the team it's how you use them. there is a set strategy for every mode, on every map, that any weapon can do, however it depends on when you do your part and how smoothly you do it. coordination isn't always perfect, some things happen way too fast to communicate. If you know the map and the weapons that the other team is using you can actually predict what they will do. so regardless, turf war imo is fine for competitive play in tourneys, but only if its for a specific round(s) and not the whole tourney.

I'm guessing people are gonna take my response as " TL;DR you're salty because you lost to people using overused weapons and you should have known where they were, no excuses etc etc git gud, no salt"

thats nowhere close to what i am trying to get across if some dont understand

I love TW as much as the next guy. Yes it has flaws, and yes there are some incredibly stupid things that occur in TW, but that's only to be expected. it's a shooter/competitive game, everymode is gonna have its fair share of bs, rewards, fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
I can understand the turmoil with turf war, but honestly if people are gonna start using the word fluke to justify them loosing matches then there's no reason to take that seriously. I've had these "flukes" happen to me and i've bee able to actually avoid them. oh and the "perfect team argument" is bull, weapons dont make the team it's how you use them. there is a set strategy for every mode, on every map, that any weapon can do, however it depends on when you do your part and how smoothly you do it. coordination isn't always perfect, some things happen way too fast to communicate. If you know the map and the weapons that the other team is using you can actually predict what they will do. so regardless, turf war imo is fine for competitive play in tourneys, but only if its for a specific round(s) and not the whole tourney.
What he's saying is that if you make a fluke in Turf, you can say goodbye to your game (as in its at the end of the match)

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
This made me laugh out loud, you clearly don't know what a fluke is.

Mr.HawK

The Artist
This made me laugh out loud, you clearly don't know what a fluke is.
im going by what he said, those surprisingly lucky moments that some person gets by doing something like what he said. Or is fluke defined as something completely different in this instance?

Moy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
moymemoy

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
im going by what he said, those surprisingly lucky moments that some person gets by doing something like what he said. Or is fluke defined as something completely different in this instance?
You can't have a fluke happen to you then avoid it. That's oxymoronic.

Mr.HawK

The Artist
You can't have a fluke happen to you then avoid it. That's oxymoronic.
touche. but who says flukes aren't present in other modes too? if its so random and accidental then it should apply to all other modes too

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
touche. but who says flukes aren't present in other modes too? if its so random and accidental then it should apply to all other modes too
Flukes can determine the game in turf war as a result of the time limit, this is not the case for the other modes. Did you even read flc's post?

In no mode but Turf can flukes determine games. In no mode but Turf is the team that suffered a setback on account of such a fluke denied an opportunity to respond. Turf is timed, and that's the problem. If there were a win condition (such as a percentage of your team's point score counting toward some total; say you control 40%, you get 4 points per second up to some maximum), it might be a viable gametype, because then the better team would be able to counterplay or mount a comeback. If there were at least some significant advantage to be gained by being ahead throughout the rest of the game, it might still be fine. There isn't, so it's not. The better you play, the more susceptible you are to a fluke. Flukes need to be balanced out and the team disadvantaged by a fluke need to be able to counterplay.
^

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
If you fluke in turf, its over. in ranked? not so much. you have a perfect chance to come back or change the outcome

Mr.HawK

The Artist
so as far as this argument is concerned. Flukes win matches in turf war as a result of time, and the last 30 seconds of a match can most likely win you games. well if thats the case, then the meta is finished its growth as far as TW is concerned. time to make a smoothie and pout because S*** happens in a mode that's based on luck and not skill what so ever. Now all I have do is tell my team to go duke it out in mid during any match while i hang back and wait for us to get screwed beyond comparison just so I can jump in at 30 seconds and win a game that made no sense what so ever. Oooo while im at it ill use tentatek.

this will really come in handy for the Ink or Sink tourney coming up next week, so im gonna go practice playing hop scotch and learn absolutely nothing to prepare me for a mode that requires no sense of thought.

brb gonna get some chalk

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
so as far as this argument is concerned. Flukes win matches in turf war as a result of time, and the last 30 seconds of a match can most likely win you games. well if thats the case, then the meta is finished its growth as far as TW is concerned. time to make a smoothie and pout because S*** happens in a mode that's based on luck and not skill what so ever. Now all I have do is tell my team to go duke it out in mid during any match while i hang back and wait for us to get screwed beyond comparison just so I can jump in at 30 seconds and win a game that made no sense what so ever. Oooo while im at it ill use tentatek.

this will really come in handy for the Ink or Sink tourney coming up next week, so im gonna go practice playing hop scotch and learn absolutely nothing to prepare me for a mode that requires no sense of thought.

brb gonna get some chalk
lol

Mr.HawK

The Artist
actually smash with customs on sounds like a better practice method

D

Deleted Member

The competitive Pokémon community uses several different battle modes and tiers, each with their own distinct metagame. Double Battles, Single Battles, Battle Spot, VGC, etc.

I think Splat Zones will undoubtedly be the main focus of the Squidboards community, with Turf Wars off to the side as a less popular attraction.

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
actually smash with customs on sounds like a better practice method

brb gonna get some chalk
sm4sh for loosurs melee is best dood

Mr.HawK

The Artist
meh, I prefer "ranked scrims" to be honest.
I actually do too, like when im constantly trying to que up at the same time and end up being in a lobby full of players from japan because i mean hey who doesn't love getting in a lobby with inevitable lag spikes Pluusssss the tentatek that they all use because its the best weapon in the game thats probably gonna get the diddy kong treatment. but hey, its all about having fun kids

sm4sh for loosurs melee is best dood
don u meen TR4SH? Kappa Kreygasm

Last edited by a moderator:

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
I actually do too, like when im constantly trying to que up at the same time and end up being in a lobby full of players from japan because i mean hey who doesn't love getting in a lobby with inevitable lag spikes Pluusssss the tentatek that they all use because its the best weapon in the game thats probably gonna get the diddy kong treatment. but hey, its all about having fun kids
lmao

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom