Why Competitive Splatoon should use all Game Modes instead of one

ChozoBoy

Inkling
NNID
Player2
I support playing all modes, but it really comes down to the professional tourney players because if they end up not liking a mode at their level of play or don't find that wins are consistent, than they won't be playing that.

That's how it is for every competitive game. If the pros don't want to gamble their entry fee on a certain mode, then it won't happen.

ThisFungi

8-bit crazy!
Each mode will no doubt be played differently and it will be interesting to see what each one's (temporary) meta would turn out to be. There's already been discussion of possible setups that might make a mode unsuitable for competitive battling, but in my opinion it's still too soon to tell right now. Until we get the August update that's when we'll be able to form a basic idea of what modes might be doable and which ones aren't (Even then though, I think the competitive scene will have major flaws with mode setups within tourneys after the update but hey we gotta start somewhere right?).

I'm currently on board for having all the game modes in the competitive scene. I'm certain we'll have solid rules within modes in the future to define the competitive scene better but for now, let's look forward to experimentation! ;)

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
I have read through the whole thread, but I don't want to go through everything, so I will just state my overall opinion on the matter.

In general I agree with AnchorTea. Every mode can be played competitively. I also agree with flc who says Turf War is more casual and luck/final-encounter based than the other modes.
The Mario Kart community shows that it's possible to play a casually designed gamemode competitvely since 2008 - and it can be fun like hell :) Mario Kart Wii is actually behaving very similarily to Turf War (8 not so much, but still a little): most of the race is decided via items during the end of the final lap. But this "luck factor" is balanced out by the number of races you play.

It's difficult to tell how the game will evolve once matchmaking is available - heck, we don't even know which options Nintendo will give us with the August update... maybe we can't even play ranked modes in private lobbies.
So I think the Squidboard staff's best bet early on is to offer everything. When tournaments are being held for every mode (which should also include one ruleset with mixed modes), we will see which ones are popular and which ones aren't in a very shot time. The community will decide it naturally; people will be talking and thinking differently about each ruleset, calling mode X more casual and mode Y the real "pro" one etc., thus making specific modes obsolete over time.

Narayan

Full Squid
NNID
suacidesquid
The Mario Kart community shows that it's possible to play a casually designed gamemode competitvely since 2008 - and it can be fun like hell :) Mario Kart Wii is actually behaving very similarily to Turf War (8 not so much, but still a little): most of the race is decided via items during the end of the final lap. But this "luck factor" is balanced out by the number of races you play.
Well the only diference here: In MK, they didn't had a goood choise. Even this or a crappy team mode. But in Splatoon, we do have a choise.

AnchorTea

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
AnchorageTea
I kinda regret making this thread due to the bloodlust debates that happened...

At least it made people think...

AnchorTea

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
AnchorageTea
It's funny how this thread got a heated discussion at one point and now it's not being touched at all...

On-Topic, there is a rumor going around that Private Lobbies will only have Turf War. A group of Nintendo fans I met at the mall told me this, but they never told me where they got that info.

Let's @Hope it's not true. (Pun intended)

Last edited:

Squadaloo

Full Squid
NNID
RodRodney
The original Nintendo Direct mentioned choosing stages and rules. I would hope the game mode would be a rule as I can't imagine how many rules there would be other than length of match for Turf War.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
It's funny how this thread got a heated discussion at one point and now it's not being touched at all...

On-Topic, there is a rumor going around that Private Lobbies will only have Turf War. A group of Nintendo fans I met at the mall told me this, but they never told me where they got that info.

Let's @Hope it's not true. (Pun intended)
Most likely not true. Rumours are rumours and shouldn't be taken seriously. It would be an extreme disappointment waiting for custom rooms only to find we can only do custom Turf Wars. Just wouldn't make sense. I'm personally looking forward to it, because after custom rooms are released we can finally get good teams/weapon composition and not have to hear any more complaints about bad teams we've been hearing about, along with being able to coordinate and work cooperatively. Everyone would be happy.

Power

Inkling Commander
If they only give us custom turf wars that would greatly decrease my interest in the game. Most likely that rumor isn't true (I hope)

Oh, the heated discussion probably stopped because people got tired of arguing or that there were no arguing points left other than "wait for the August update to see" It was a good discussion while it lasted

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
It's probably just a rumor.
I also talked about this "what if"-situation in several skype chats already. It's a wide spread worst case scenario which a lot of people make up, because currently we still have only few information about the August update.

Azza

Pro Squid
NNID
Barricade31
The private lobbies will have all modes most likely and map choice, but it obviously wont be ranked.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
I thought Nintendo said in the direct that you and your friends could get together against pre-registered people, meaning, not your choice.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I'm guessing this "rumor" is a game of telephone over the fact that you can currently join unranked Turf War lobbies together.
I thought Nintendo said in the direct that you and your friends could get together against pre-registered people, meaning, not your choice.
There's both private lobbies and 4 player queues, separate options.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
I'm guessing this "rumor" is a game of telephone over the fact that you can currently join unranked Turf War lobbies together.

There's both private lobbies and 4 player queues, separate options.
That is comforting. Now if Nintendo adds voice chat I will kiss them.

Oatsy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DaOtmel
@flc it's your teams fault they lost, not the Game Mode. An Inkstrike at the last 20 seconds that gets a triple can determine a win at all Game Modes. Heck, all game modes can determine a win at the last seconds if you think about it. It's mostly a psychological thing. The last seconds will make you get more aggressive for that victory.
Sure, but rarely ever often enough. in SZ/TC compared to TW.

Let's say your team dominates the majority of the round in SZ/TC and get your clock/tower down to 20 while the enemy is still at around 80, and then they manage to cap the point/get on the tower after a triple kill, it's still -incredibly- rare for a team to eek out a victory in these conditions. They effectively have to replay the entire game and get a shutout. (Even moreso in TC if your team was pushing into their side when timer was that low)

In TW however, your team can be losing basically 60-35, if you get a triple kill at 0:30, you've basically won, almost guaranteed. An even larger margin can be overcome if you ace the enemy team.

InkCGO

Inkling
Last second Inkstrikes will dominate Turf War if it ever is played competitively. 4 Inkstrikes to gain +40% over your opponent, that they can't counter, and makes the 90% of the game time mean nothing? Sounds good. Oh, and the only way to counter is to use 4 Inkstrikes yourself, or completely base camp the enemy for the entire match...

Turf War isn't really a strategy haven game mode either. The game mode could be 1 minute long, and still be as random as a 5 minute game. You need a huge skill disparity for TW to show who the better team is. Splat Zone or TC have a lower skill disparity threshold for proving the better team.

Like, if you play 10 games each of SZ, TC, and TW, you'll be able to identify the better team through the SZ and TC winrates. For TW they will be largely inaccurate and most likely not consistent if repeated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom