Worst Weapon Sub and Special?

Misha

Pro Squid
NNID
Misha21
Like people have been saying, ink mines are pretty terrible outside of TC. I don't really find any another sub to be too bad. As special, I would have inkstrike since it easy to avoid and you have be precise to be able to take a zones.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
I think it’s worth going through why they are bad in the first place. Mines are meant to be zoning/sneak killing weapons

Basically what makes them poor to start off with is that:

1. They are extremely easy to avoid because they have a long and noticeable animation. Also, if you use bomb sniffer they are always visible although this isn’t as big of a detriment b/c bomb sniffer isn’t that great to begin with.

2. Are expensive in ink consumption. I think they use 80% of your ink tank (need to check this)

3. Cannot be thrown. This might not seem like a big deal but this means that they cannot zone as easily.

4. Are worthless is firefights.

They are just outclassed by Splat/Suction bombs so much b/c they can zone/kill much more easily and at less of a cost. The only thing Mines have going for them is that they aren’t visible until someone is right on top of them.

As for Tower Control, it is true that it is the sub’s best mode but still very outclassed. What mines will want to do is zone opponents from the tower but again are outclassed. It only deters gets opponents off the tower for what, 2 seconds? If you want to plant another one you have to actually be on the tower so if a team is pushing with the tower mines won’t do a thing to stop them without getting you splatted especially if they have a roller on it. Bombs work wonders for zoning towers because they can be thrown thus effectively and safely zoning people from the tower.

Mines have a utility problem. What they do is sub-par, limited and outclassed by better subs.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
Like what most others have said, the Ink Mine is the worst sub imo. It's just really unreliable for what it's suppose to do and outclassed by all of the other subs imo.

For specials, I don't think there is a "worst" special since they all have their uses depending on the situation/gamemode.

SafetyPoncho

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SafetyPoncho
I definitely don't agree that the sprinklers are a bad or especially worst sub. I use the n zaps and for turf putting down a sprinkler and continuing on my way charges up my special in no time(while covering our base and giving everyone a head start towards mid), and while ink strike might not be the best special, it is useful. In turf it causes annoyance and distraction, and I've definitely splatted people with it before. It's also super useful in splat zones and tower. I also love using the sprinklers on the tower. Or as a bait.

All that being said, I haven't been able to use point sensor ever again since using echo locator, it just pales in comparison and while it might be cheap, I feel like it just doesn't have the range and the animation just gives it away so much. Maybe I just suck with it. Though I agree the ink mines might be the worst just because of the situational aspect of it, the lack of being able to throw it, and the huge animation it gives off.

Dark G

Inkling
NNID
Neil94
Weapon:H-3 Nozzlenose
Sub: Ink Mines
Special: Inkstrike

Holidaze

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
dyngledong
I gotta say Point sensors are the worst for me. as for specials, if i had to pick, I'd say kraken is the worst, as you're only able to move freely where you would squid form. making it highly dangerous to use it in say, mahi mahi, or useless on bridge.

Crimsoninkling

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
BramWildenberg
for me the worst special has to be inkstrike and the worst sub to be disruptor(almost nobody knows how to use it.)

Macchiato.

Inkling
NNID
Macchiatooo
I, for one, don't think ink mines are the worst sub. They have niches like in Rainmaker, if your opponent has it and is almost to the volcano, you can set a mine near the site then move out of site. Although it is very limited I disagree with it being the worst. I feel like the disrupter is due to it's few good uses. It had a good concept and could've been good but they executed it poorly.

The worst Special is the Inkstrike. It's not bad, but compared to the rest, it has the least utility.

The worst Weapon imo is the H3 Nozzlenose. It's set isn't that great and just it's stats. It's hard to get kills with it, and it also doesn't cover that much space.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
I, for one, don't think ink mines are the worst sub. They have niches like in Rainmaker, if your opponent has it and is almost to the volcano, you can set a mine near the site then move out of site. Although it is very limited I disagree with it being the worst. I feel like the disrupter is due to it's few good uses. It had a good concept and could've been good but they executed it poorly.

The worst Special is the Inkstrike. It's not bad, but compared to the rest, it has the least utility.

The worst Weapon imo is the H3 Nozzlenose. It's set isn't that great and just it's stats. It's hard to get kills with it, and it also doesn't cover that much space.
Just wondering, how do you think the Disruptor Sub is executed poorly? Yes, unlike other subs it doesn't cover turf and enemies can jump away after they get disrupted (but then again they are now wasting there time jumping away rather then doing the objective) but it does pretty much make rollers (and most other weapons classes for the most part, but mainly rollers) free splats. The sub also is pretty good in gamemodes like Rainmaker since it can pretty much stop the carrier from moving forward which can by you enough time before they can near the enemy team can take the lead or get close to the goal.

Not here to argue anything, I was just wondering. I never found Ink Mines that useful, even In Tower Control compared to every other sub.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
disrupters are really great on ranged weapons, imo, particularly the bamboozler. it not only helps confirm KOs who are being slippery, helps you get away from ambushes, makes opponent's position visible to teammates present, and most importantly for me is that it helps slow down approaches from splooshes, inkbrushes, and other fast moving targets that can be hell to hit and happy to punish any whiffed shots.

point sensors also have their uses. you don't have to wait for a fully charged special to use it, which is nice. i love using them on places like bluefin where enemies like to hide on the other side of those + shaped bits. i also like to use it on rainmaker to support the RM and show them safe spots to move to. it took me a while to get used to this sub since it's quite sensitive and gets caught in places other bombs don't seem to mind, but altogether i think it's a generally useful sub in any mode.

for me, ink mines are the closest to worthless. even with the most fabulous placement, placing one changes absolutely nothing about the match. you can't even consistently use them as a throwaway escape item since they take so much time to place. you probably get more KOs with a sprinkler that this (ok, maybe just in TW, but still)

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
Weapon: Inkbrush
(Kinda Ironic since my favorite is octobrush)
Sub: Ink Mine
Special: Bomb Rush With Seekers (The only special I don't like)

Last edited:

Reala

Inkling
NNID
Negrulicious
Worst weapon: Inkbrush
Worst sub: Ink mine
Worst special: Seeker rush/Kraken

Killer Wail is actually pretty good for zoning and flushing your opponents out of areas. Works pretty well in Tower Control too.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
Worst weapon: Inkbrush
Worst sub: Ink mine
Worst special: Seeker rush/Kraken

Killer Wail is actually pretty good for zoning and flushing your opponents out of areas. Works pretty well in Tower Control too.
I forgot about seeker rush, I'm gonna change my special to that (except then our list will be exactly the same lol)

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I feel my Killer Wail execution is abysmal. I don't think I can ever positively contribute to a match when I use them, I dont know, so that's my least fav special. I want to get better with it because there are weapons I'd like to use more which have Killer Wail, like 52 Gal.

I felt pretty proficient with Ink Mines because I used Aero RG so much in my beginner days. I know all the most useful places to put them on nearly every stage. I agree they may be least viable, but from my own experience, I can use them more effectively than Disruptors, or maybe Point Sensors.

In defense of the undisputed loser of subs, here are a few key locations for Ink Mines on various stages:
-Moray SZ: Go to enemy's lookout above zone, plant one near the orange box just north of you. You're a hell of a target there, and this usually surprises people as they rush in to pick you off. Moray also has many other places that are easy to reach and effective for Mines since it is built around narrow ramps. The main sniping perch everybody knows and loves is another good spot.

-Mackerel SZ: The end of the enemy's corridor closest to their Zone. Camping in the zone and keeping this area mined has worked effectively for me before.

-Piranha SZ: Just after the conveyor belt of north of Enemy's zone. Another place where squids like to rush in carelessly, especially with the pressure of the timer.

-Flounder SZ: The top of the ramp ascending to the enemy's zone. A small square where squids will often rush up the ramp or ascend the wall of the tower to reach the zone. If they are reckless, they'll get splatted.

-Mahi Mahi SZ: Bit of a hassle, but the semi-protected platform where snipers and Aerosprays live is great, or the platform which raises halfway through the map.

-Ancho-V SZ: Probably not a great one, but I have to share: I once got a triple KO by placing one on the common sniper perch on this stage. That probably almost never happens. But the spot is simple enough to reach.

-Saltspray SZ: The place where the two ramps to the zone merge.

-Blackbelly SZ: Top of the tower (duh), or ledge just before they drop down into their zone.

Many of these are probably quite obvious. But if you feel so inklined to use Ink Mines, they can be quite effective.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
I feel my Killer Wail execution is abysmal. I don't think I can ever positively contribute to a match when I use them, I dont know, so that's my least fav special. I want to get better with it because there are weapons I'd like to use more which have Killer Wail, like 52 Gal.

I felt pretty proficient with Ink Mines because I used Aero RG so much in my beginner days. I know all the most useful places to put them on nearly every stage. I agree they may be least viable, but from my own experience, I can use them more effectively than Disruptors, or maybe Point Sensors.

In defense of the undisputed loser of subs, here are a few key locations for Ink Mines on various stages:
-Moray SZ: Go to enemy's lookout above zone, plant one near the orange box just north of you. You're a hell of a target there, and this usually surprises people as they rush in to pick you off. Moray also has many other places that are easy to reach and effective for Mines since it is built around narrow ramps. The main sniping perch everybody knows and loves is another good spot.

-Mackerel SZ: The end of the enemy's corridor closest to their Zone. Camping in the zone and keeping this area mined has worked effectively for me before.

-Piranha SZ: Just after the conveyor belt of north of Enemy's zone. Another place where squids like to rush in carelessly, especially with the pressure of the timer.

-Flounder SZ: The top of the ramp ascending to the enemy's zone. A small square where squids will often rush up the ramp or ascend the wall of the tower to reach the zone. If they are reckless, they'll get splatted.

-Mahi Mahi SZ: Bit of a hassle, but the semi-protected platform where snipers and Aerosprays live is great, or the platform which raises halfway through the map.

-Ancho-V SZ: Probably not a great one, but I have to share: I once got a triple KO by placing one on the common sniper perch on this stage. That probably almost never happens. But the spot is simple enough to reach.

-Saltspray SZ: The place where the two ramps to the zone merge.

-Blackbelly SZ: Top of the tower (duh), or ledge just before they drop down into their zone.

Many of these are probably quite obvious. But if you feel so inklined to use Ink Mines, they can be quite effective.
Ink mines can be decent on the tower is blackbelly, or anywhere else involving a squid jumping up onto it. Otherwise, they are sure to spray ink infront if them first before advancing, therefore activating the mine, and it wouldn't do any more than make them retreat for a little less than a second.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Ink mines can be decent on the tower is blackbelly, or anywhere else involving a squid jumping up onto it. Otherwise, they are sure to spray ink infront if them first before advancing, therefore activating the mine, and it wouldn't do any more than make them retreat for a little less than a second.
Just wanted to share places where I have commonly gotten splats from ink mine placement. Obviously an aware player will spray ink there first, but its not like that happens every time. Lots of them are reckless, especially when pressured by a timer.
Even if it doesn't splat them, it will expose them and cripple their approach, making them easier to splat if you're camping nearby.

I wasn't trying to make the argument that they're more useful than any other sub. But I can make successful plays with them and I think they're fun.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
Just wanted to share places where I have commonly gotten splats from ink mine placement. Obviously an aware player will spray ink there first, but its not like that happens every time. Lots of them are reckless, especially when pressured by a timer.
Even if it doesn't splat them, it will expose them and cripple their approach, making them easier to splat if you're camping nearby.

I wasn't trying to make the argument that they're more useful than any other sub. But I can make successful plays with them and I think they're fun.
Well, it is really fun when you suddenly get a random splat message when you aren't really battling anyone :p

kesterstudios

Inkster Jr.
NNID
kesterstudios
It would be nice if the devs buff ink strike by requiring only 160p to use instead of 180p like they did with the killer wail. I mean both don't benefit from Special Duration Up, so Ink Strike deserves it.

Anyway, worst special...probably what I just mentioned, the ink strike. It does have its uses, but it's not as useful as the other specials.

Worst special is definitely ink mines. They should buff by either decreasing the time it takes to explode, not let it explode after 10 seconds, or both. Seekers are not that good either. They should make seekers AI smarter, so it will target enemies or better and maybe decrease ink usage.

I'm not sure about weapons, but I do think that the ink brush, hydra splatling, sploosh-o-matic, and the nozzlenose weapons should get buffed.

Last edited:

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I'm not sure about weapons, but I do think that the ink brush, hydra splatling, sploosh-o-matic, and the nozzlenose weapons should get buffed.
What would you do about Hydra? It seems pretty balanced to me.

Also regarding ink mines, what would yall think about it working similarly to sprinklers in that the previous mine would detonate if you were to plant another one? Too broken? If you saw someone approaching your mine you could detonate it early to catch them off guard or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom