• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Yooka Laylee! Banjo Kazooie spiritual sucessor thread!

Teddy

Senior Squid
NNID
EggplantAlloy
Hold the phone, this game has Grant Kirkhope AND David Wise? Excitement tripled.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral

They are so cute. The more I look at them, the more I like them. Also, on the gender subject, the kickstarter page refers to Laylee as "bat-lady". I find interesting that even though Laylee is the female one, it is Yooka who looks rather "girly" (well, at least his face) and Laylee lacks any generic traits attributed to female animal characters in fiction, which is a good thing, I think.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
They only made 2 new stretch goals probably because they couldn't of any more ideas atm xD. They better start thinking because those new stretch goals will easily get passed lol.

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
The reason why it is probably beyond the scope of stretch goals to have a wide physical release, aside from publishing and distribution cost, it needs to be feasible to make tens or hundreds of thousands of physical copies. They need to know that the market will be big enough for physical copies to sell after making the kind of investment to get the game on retailer shelves. I think it is possible and I'd like to see it happen, but there will probably need to be either at least hundreds of thousands of backers, or have it sell extremely well and penetrate the mainstream following digital release, leading to a wide physical release like some other titles have had, such as DuckTales Remastered.

SilverEra

Inkling Cadet

There's no stopping, is there? They're about to reach another goal soon.

Edit: They have reached the goal and the funding is still ongoing. This is certainly a surprise.

Last edited:

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The fact they reached the goal really isn't surprising to me, since people have been asking for more 3D platformers for a long time. But I think no one expected them to get so much money in such a short time.

TheGentlebro

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Gentlebro
I'm really excited to see how the N64 shader will look, I loved the look of Rare's N64 titles. I hope it's as nostalgic as it sounds.

Mayana

Full Squid
NNID
wolfxdog
Holy moly, I blinked and they're above and beyond where I last saw!

It looks like it's going to be really fun even from the small amount of content shown in their video thus far - count me in the group that miss these types of games to death. Hopefully this is a good game for this team, really excited about the potential from here on out with it.
Cutest characters ever too. Let's see where they can take this with the Kickstarter backing.

theblackbird

Senior Squid
NNID
ProminenceF
I personally like Yooka and Laylee clothless. I don't really agree with the idea that they gain anything from clothes. I DO think that Laylee should be a tad more recognizable as female, though. Which is easy enough- just shrink the nose a bit, maybe give some slight eyelashes. That's about it. Yooka looks more the female than Laylee (which, to be honest, is kinda what I was hoping for initially, but no big deal).

Noventia

Inkster Jr.
I personally like Yooka and Laylee clothless. I don't really agree with the idea that they gain anything from clothes. I DO think that Laylee should be a tad more recognizable as female, though. Which is easy enough- just shrink the nose a bit, maybe give some slight eyelashes. That's about it. Yooka looks more the female than Laylee (which, to be honest, is kinda what I was hoping for initially, but no big deal).
Genders are not confirmed.

itisRag

NNID
itisrag
Genders are not confirmed.
Please elaborate. On Playtonic's Kickstarter page, Yooka and Laylee are referred to as a "bloke" and "lady-bat", respectively. If there is another source from the developers that is more recent and states that the genders are not confirmed, then I'd like to see it.

Noventia

Inkster Jr.
Please elaborate. On Playtonic's Kickstarter page, Yooka and Laylee are referred to as a "bloke" and "lady-bat", respectively. If there is another source from the developers that is more recent and states that the genders are not confirmed, then I'd like to see it.
Yes, but on twitter they stated exactly my point: the genders aren't actually confirmed. I'll edit in a link if I can.

I'm actually not sure if this is more recent, but look at the abundance of jokes and puns on their kickstarter and playtonic games page. I wouldn't trust what you see. :p

Last edited:

itisRag

NNID
itisrag
Yes, but on twitter they stated exactly my point: the genders aren't actually confirmed. I'll edit in a link if I can.

I'm actually not sure if this is more recent, but look at the abundance of jokes and puns on their kickstarter and playtonic games page. I wouldn't trust what you see. :p
Well that is how I feel about society in general and the government, not trusting the appearance that is. I suppose we can say that while it seems they have confirmed the genders on Kickstarter, there is the possibility they could change since the group of developers seems pretty laid back. However, I wouldn't bet on them changing that particular detail at this point.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Laylee is fine the way she is. The fact she doesn't have the generic traits often attributed to female characters (like lipstick, pink decorations, etc) is a great thing. Her appearance isn't defined by her gender. I also like that Yooka looks a tad feminine, even though he is (supposedly) male. Diversity is always a good thing.

itisRag

NNID
itisrag
(relatively) Terrible news! I just received a response from a Playtonic representative to a question I previously asked on Kickstarter. Since I had pledged enough to receive a physical PC copy of the game, my question was if the physical PC version would be DRM-free or if it would require Steam. I'm glad that I asked, because this fear of mine has ended up coming true. Here is Playtonic's emailed response:
I am tremendously disappointed about this, as I hoped that this independent team of developers would have a passion for the traditional economics of video games. It is possible that I have a degree of ignorance regarding what it takes to develop and publish games, so there may be some hurdles that I don't understand to making games DRM-free, but it is still my preference to be able to actually own my own games and not be required to activate them over the Internet. I will definitely be reducing my pledge amount, if not canceling it altogether, and I won't be getting a PC version of the game unless/until a DRM-free version is released. I may consider a console version, but I am not entirely sure.

Last edited:

KniteLyfe

Full Squid
NNID
KniteLyfe
(relatively) Terrible news! I just received a response from a Playtonic representative to a question I previously asked on Kickstarter. Since I had pledged enough to receive a physical PC copy of the game, my question was if the physical PC version would be DRM-free or if it would require Steam. I'm glad that I asked, because this fear of mine has ended up coming true. Here is Playtonic's emailed response:

(snip)

I am tremendously disappointed about this, as I hoped that this independent team of developers would have a passion for the traditional economics of video games. It is possible that I have a degree of ignorance regarding what it takes to develop and publish games, so there may be some hurdles that I don't understand to making games DRM-free, but it is still my preference to be able to actually own my own games and not be required to activate them over the Internet. I will definitely be reducing my pledge amount, if not canceling it altogether, and I won't be getting a PC version of the game unless/until a DRM-free version is released. I may consider a console version, but I am not entirely sure.
Honestly, I don't understand what the problem you have is. There's nothing really "bad" about Steam...

Edit: Far less people use DRM-Free websites to buy games from, so I'm assuming their decision was based financially.

itisRag

NNID
itisrag
Honestly, I don't understand what the problem you have is. There's nothing really "bad" about Steam...

Edit: Far less people use DRM-Free websites to buy games from, so I'm assuming their decision was based financially.
It's more the principle of it than anything. I prefer to actually own something that I paid for, like the "old days" when a game cartridge/floppy was your game, no Internet connection or online account required. I've used Steam in the past, and I think that its original intended purpose is fine. It makes sense for any developer including Valve to have their own platform for their own games which they developed. The problem I have is when the platform becomes a third-party DRM platform, and anyone can make games that must be activated through said platform. Basically it is effectively eliminating true ownership of consumers' individually purchased games by forcing "online activation".

It seems very sketchy to me that a third party has to have information on what games I have. I believe there must be a better way to prevent piracy. This is part of the reason that DRM-free sites like GOG.com exist and do well at all in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom