• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

★ Weapons Tier List ★ [V3.0]

Benjamin Hellcat

Inkster Jr.
NNID
H3llcat
I
Regular splat roller should be higher than krack-on because the suction bomb and killer wail give and answer to its short range. Krak-on has squid beacon and kraken and people think the kraken is so good just because it's a 1 hit kill and people don't know how to Avoid it effectively. Also squid beacons aren't that great.
I don't agree that Squid Beacons are not that great. I'm calling it now, they will be awesome in Rain maker. Just like they are awesome in Tower Control, as a way to come up from behind the opposing team.

Although, i do like your reasoning... i can't use Rollers, it's just not my thing. I do however like having a good Roller player on my team

CoconutTank

Senior Squid
I agree with beakons being really useful to have, particularly in ranked modes. I also agree that the krak-on roller has range problems that tend to get glossed over for whatever reason. I think killer wail getting a buff also makes the splat roller more useful imo. The -20p makes quite a difference from what I've seen.

That said, I bring the custom dual squelcher to ranked matches when my team doesn't have anyone with beakons.

MadMadMorgan

Inkling
Krak-On is still the best roller in the game. Beakon is god like and kraken is still amazing. The nerf just means, you cant just pop kraken from a thousand miles away, and team wipe anymore.
I find it way to easy to get away from the kraken, and suction bombs are better then beacons because of the range and you can trap people with them or force them to come to you or get away from you

MadMadMorgan

Inkling
I find it way to easy to get away from the kraken, and suction bombs are better then beacons because of the range and you can trap people with them or force them to come to you or get away from you. I just find it has better flexibility

MadMadMorgan

Inkling
I

I don't agree that Squid Beacons are not that great. I'm calling it now, they will be awesome in Rain maker. Just like they are awesome in Tower Control, as a way to come up from behind the opposing team.

Although, i do like your reasoning... i can't use Rollers, it's just not my thing. I do however like having a good Roller player on my team
i don't think you can super jump with the rainmaker, I'm pretty sure I heard something about that

MadMadMorgan

Inkling
i don't think you can super jump with the rainmaker. Also I find I get quite a few free kills from squid beacons by just kinda being near them maybe round a corner and when I see the beacon is gone on the map or I hear the landing audio cue, I just go over there and kill them. They can sometimes be useful tho, I just think suction bombs can be used in more ways and more effectively

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
@MadMadMorgan
Beakons can easily be the difference between a lose and a win. Beakons and Suction Bombs, are good, for different reasons. Beakon allows the roller to fill more than one role in team games, while the Suction Bomb, "mildly" increases its offensive capabilities. We all know, Suction Bombs force reactions, but no good player is going to come into your range, if you throw one towards them. If you want a more offensive roller, just use the carbon roller. And if you are getting away from krakens easily, that player isn't using it correctly. A good player will always hit their mark and never leave their self in a bad position once it wears off.

Benjamin Hellcat

Inkster Jr.
NNID
H3llcat
i don't think you can super jump with the rainmaker, I'm pretty sure I heard something about that
Yes, i mean to come up behind the opposing team after a turn over... you are right about not being able to super jump

Last edited:

Heart of Ice

Semi-Pro Squid
@MadMadMorgan
Beakons can easily be the difference between a lose and a win. Beakons and Suction Bombs, are good, for different reasons. Beakon allows the roller to fill more than one role in team games, while the Suction Bomb, "mildly" increases its offensive capabilities. We all know, Suction Bombs force reactions, but no good player is going to come into your range, if you throw one towards them. If you want a more offensive roller, just use the carbon roller. And if you are getting away from krakens easily, that player isn't using it correctly. A good player will always hit their mark and never leave their self in a bad position once it wears off.
I dunno putting beakons on a low mobility weapon that can't ink a wall or slope to save its life seems like a poor choice.

Also suction bombs are actually really good at inking walls. Like for instance, on the walls leading down to the middle ground in bluefin depot, if you throw a suction bomb in the middle you can ink the entire wall. This solves the Splat Rollers mobility problem.

Hinichii.ez.™

Saying rollers can't ink walls for ****, is a common misconception.

You can make a path of ink from the bottom of the wall in the training room, to top of the wall, in one swing.

Heart of Ice

Semi-Pro Squid

You can make a path of ink from the bottom of the wall in the training room, to top of the wall, in one swing.
Are you using the Dynamo Roller? I haven't been able (and nobody else I've played with for that matter) to ink walls in one swing. It does seem like a breeze for the Dynamo though.

Hinichii.ez.™

Are you using the Dynamo Roller? I haven't been able (and nobody else I've played with for that matter) to ink walls in one swing. It does seem like a breeze for the Dynamo though.
I use the krak-on/splat. I'm trying to start up a youtube series where I share useful information, that doesn't seem like common knowledge.

Idk if you can do this with the stick, but flick the wall, hold the trigger, be by the wall, jump and look as high as you can, while moving into the wall and still holding the trigger. Probably not super clear, but I'll show it in a video sometime this week.

Heart of Ice

Semi-Pro Squid
I use the krak-on/splat. I'm trying to start up a youtube series where I share useful information, that doesn't seem like common knowledge.

Idk if you can do this with the stick, but flick the wall, hold the trigger, be by the wall, jump and look as high as you can, while moving into the wall and still holding the trigger. Probably not super clear, but I'll show it in a video sometime this week.
Oh wow, rhat's pretty great! Retaining mobility for a weapon with squid beakons is pretty crucial.

Unfortunately though, this still doesn't allow the Krak-on Roller to attack people outside of flick range. But this tech definitely makes it more viable, since rollers are better at defense and support than front line combat.

I think the Krak-On roller will be much better when people learn how to utilize their beakons properly instead of thinking that the Kraken is an instant win button.

Last edited:

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex

What about any higher wall? You can't get up those easily with one swing. You're going need multiple of those swing.

EDIT: Oh what I didn't saw that you said about the tech.Altrough that don't really seem clear for me at how to do it,so I'm just gonna wait for the vid

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
There is nothing like tiers in Splatoon...stop trying to create tiers.
What? Yes there are. You shouldn't be comparing rollers to blasters, though. Saying the Rapid Blaster is as good as the Tentatek is crazy. My question is why does the anti-tier movement even exist? A game can't be perfectly balanced, and tier lists are made to help players make informed decisions beforehand on what weapon to play. It isn't "elitist", the word a lot of users here throw around when people say that "I think x is better than y".
Anyways, I don't really like this tier list. Many weapons are misplaced. Rollers are not as versatile as blasters, and each has different uses, so I think it would be best to categorize each weapon by type, such as Aerosprays and Splattersshots into one, then blasters and rapid blasters into another into a separate tier list. It would better portray how useful each weapon is based on type, rather than people assuming that stacking 4 tentateks is the best strategy.

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox
What? Yes there are. You shouldn't be comparing rollers to blasters, though. Saying the Rapid Blaster is as good as the Tentatek is crazy. My question is why does the anti-tier movement even exist? A game can't be perfectly balanced, and tier lists are made to help players make informed decisions beforehand on what weapon to play. It isn't "elitist", the word a lot of users here throw around when people say that "I think x is better than y".
Anyways, I don't really like this tier list. Many weapons are misplaced. Rollers are not as versatile as blasters, and each has different uses, so I think it would be best to categorize each weapon by type, such as Aerosprays and Splattersshots into one, then blasters and rapid blasters into another into a separate tier list. It would better portray how useful each weapon is based on type, rather than people assuming that stacking 4 tentateks is the best strategy.
There's no "anti-tier" movement, there is simply no basis for the tier lists being made, and it's getting annoying seeing everyone debate on what is best weapon in a game where almost every weapon has a thing it can do pretty well that can be utilized in any mode or map so long as you've put more than 10 games into using it.

PK21

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PuffleKirby21
There's no "anti-tier" movement, there is simply no basis for the tier lists being made, and it's getting annoying seeing everyone debate on what is best weapon in a game where almost every weapon has a thing it can do pretty well that can be utilized in any mode or map so long as you've put more than 10 games into using it.
Pretty much this. If you were to make another tier list, you should make one for each mode. The Inkbrush does great in Turf War, it's easily in the top 10. But in Tower Control? That mode is the least reliant on inking surroundings, so the Inkbrush probably would be one of the worst, possibly worst in that mode.
Comparing this to Smash, you're basically trying to say what character is best for smash, classic, all-star, and home-run contest all in 1 list. They all have super different answers because you play every mode differently. The Inkbrush and Ganondorf would be similar in this situation. Ganondorf is undeniably the best character in home-run contest, but is bad in smash, again possibly the worst.

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox
If you were to make another tier list, you should make one for each mode. The Inkbrush does great in Turf War, it's easily in the top 10. But in Tower Control? That mode is the least reliant on inking surroundings, so the Inkbrush probably would be one of the worst, possibly worst in that mode.
To be honest I didn't even think about doing it like this, but I think this works perfectly. Why?

Because when I read this, I was like "nah you could totally make some scary plays in TC with Inkbrush" but then I was like "but how worth that is it to raw power or control other weapons would have... then again, maybe Nouveau is worth it?" I actually considered its strengths and weaknesses in that particular mode, and while I'm not ready to agree on a definitive tier list yet, it makes way more sense to judge a weapon by mode than overall. The game itself seems to readily encourage that you know different matchups (weapons being more effective in certain stages, and giving certain weapons different sets to adjust for playstyle) as is, so it makes sense that it wants you to do this for modes as well.

ChiePet

Pro Squid
NNID
ChiePet
I ink walls just fine, first fling is always a mid-high aimed Jump-Fling to gain and keep that Air-Height; anything after that is just swinging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom