• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

A Wild Splatoon Update Appears! (Version 2.2.0)

Hi squids! It's Hank from Nintendome! Nintendo just announced a new 2.2.0 update for Splatoon. They made some adjustments to the ranking system, as well as some light tweaks to game mechanics within ranked game modes. However, the big news with this update comes from Nintendo's weapon balancing.

Notably, Splash Walls, Krakens, and even Inkzookas were all nerfed. Not even the mighty Dynamo Roller was able to escape weapon balancing this time.

If you want all of the specifics, Nintendo has actually provided a comprehensive list of all of the changes it has made to various weapons in the 2.2.0 update. Take a look at all of the changes in the PDF linked below:

For more Splatoon updates, be sure to check back in at Squidboards!

Comments

I think the roller doesn't needed to be nurfd it wasn't Op until,they patched it in the last update and I think rollers are not op it's the skills you have not the weapon

I think the roller doesn't needed to be nurfd it wasn't Op until,they patched it in the last update and I think rollers are not op it's the skills you have not the weapon
No rollers def do need to be nerfed. You get touched by the toe with a roller and you're done. You don't know how many times I've turned a corner too fast into a roller -- it's too easy! Also, how is it fair to kill people with no ink on the actual roll? It doesn't make any sense.

Also, how is it fair to kill people with no ink on the actual roll? It doesn't make any sense.
i imagine the developers thought of it as a hammer. i always thought of the rollers as a shotgun/melee hybrid. so even if it is empty, you can just use it as a hammer and smash people with it. i am happy with this nerf. i remember how many times i saw a dynamo about to flick paint, and trying to escape it to the side and getting splatted, thinking how bullshit it was.

YES.
Increased Dual Squelcher walk speed? Decreased Splash Wall resilience? Nerfing Blasters 1-hit-KOs?
This is my favorite thing that ever happened to Splatoon.

YES.
Increased Dual Squelcher walk speed? Decreased Splash Wall resilience? Nerfing Blasters 1-hit-KOs?
This is my favorite thing that ever happened to Splatoon.
i think the blaster nerfs don't affect them that much (based on my expereience in ranked that is). the only thing the nerf really does is make damage stacked indirect hits no longer able to OHKO. direct hits are still OHKO and it does two hit KO especially if you get stuck. i'm really happy the dual got buffed. i was running run speed up on my dual these past few weeks to positive results. now that it's naturally faster, i have room for other abilities i don't normally use like cold-blooded or special saver. i'm kinda kinda upset about the splash wall nerfs, because now my jet squelcher might not be as viable anymore (it'll still be one of my mains though).

Well, with those upcoming Kraken nerfs, time to bid farewell to my old friend. Besides, I already moved on to the Slosher & Tri-Slosher. I'll enjoy using them in both Turf War and Rainmaker battles.

Last edited:
i think the blaster nerfs don't affect them that much (based on my expereience in ranked that is). the only thing the nerf really does is make damage stacked indirect hits no longer able to OHKO. direct hits are still OHKO and it does two hit KO especially if you get stuck. i'm really happy the dual got buffed. i was running run speed up on my dual these past few weeks to positive results. now that it's naturally faster, i have room for other abilities i don't normally use like cold-blooded or special saver. i'm kinda kinda upset about the splash wall nerfs, because now my jet squelcher might not be as viable anymore (it'll still be one of my mains though).
No, yeah. I knew they still 1-hit-KO on direct hit. It's just that I used to get splatted all the time by blasters that couldn't even see me. Like, in Arowana Mall, you know that hallway thing on the right side of the map? Blasters used to splat me all the time from around the wall near the middle. Now, they'll still do some hefty damage, but I'll get a chance to back up before I get splatted.

i imagine the developers thought of it as a hammer. i always thought of the rollers as a shotgun/melee hybrid. so even if it is empty, you can just use it as a hammer and smash people with it. i am happy with this nerf. i remember how many times i saw a dynamo about to flick paint, and trying to escape it to the side and getting splatted, thinking how bullshit it was.
Never thought about that, but I'm still glad they're changing it. Just when you think they're out of ink and you could (finally) take them out, you're dead...

This is a good update for the most part, but I do have some changes I disagree with (Most of them with weapons I never or rarely use). I honestly have no idea why they're nerfing rollers (except maybe the dynamo). Rollers don't OHKO at all parts of their range, their mobility stinks, and they have to close the gap. Players need to develop awareness (Rollers punish you for not paying attention pretty heavily, but if you are aware rollers will have a really hard time getting to you.) and understand that you don't engage OHKO weapons the same way as regular ones.

Blasters fall into the same category, but are actually much worse (seriously, outside of tower control these are really freaking mediocre) than rollers. I used to have problems with blasters until I realized getting close (but not in front of them and do NOT rush them head on) usually confirmed the kill. With blasters getting up close is actually optimal if you can't comfortably out-range them. The closer you are the more they have to adjust their firing line and they will have fewer opportunities to do that than most guns thanks to their slow fire rate.

I honestly have no idea why they decided to nerf the Kraken (other than the knockback from shots being possible on more parts of the Kraken. That was what was intended with previous updates). The Kraken is definitely one of the more underwhelming specials in the game. Players with poor awareness will probably fall victim to it frequently, but it really isn't that good once you develop that awareness. The Kraken isn't like the inkzooka which doesn't care if you know it's there or not. The inkzooka has long range and travels really fast! So, by the time you finally noticed it, it's usually too late. Seriously, once you get to the A ranks Kraken is almost useless!

So as you can see most of these things being "OP" is due to poor map awareness.

The only buff that I think is dumb is the bomb rush buff. This special is actually better than the inkzooka imo (even more so with the new patch), so I don't know why they felt it needed to be better.

Like I said before, I don't use any of the weapons I talked about in this post, but I have fought them on numerous occasions. There's no bias here, just the cold hard truth.

This is a good update for the most part, but I do have some changes I disagree with (Most of them with weapons I never or rarely use). I honestly have no idea why they're nerfing rollers (except maybe the dynamo). Players need to develop awareness and understand that you don't engage OHKO weapons the same way as regular ones.
agreed, nerfing all rollers was odd, but it's probably due to the krak-on as well, and they'd rather adjust the class as a whole. i agree with most of the changes, though.

being aware of the map is one thing, except you can't be aware of the map when two dynamos are flinging OHKO droplets everywhere, while the .52 has a splash wall up, and the eliter is picking people off the walls. saltspray was the worst for this. there was nothing you could do, if you didn't secure that area first.

Blaster could also OHKO with splash, which should never happen, conceptually.

there's a reason the only teams on ranked were dynamo/krak-on, .52/.96, eliter, and another blaster.

the strategies for each weapon still applies, but it's much less easy to dominate an area now (hopefully). also, the least used weapons, the l & H3, got coverage buffs, making them viable now. the devs seem to be really listening, and it's cool they'd go to so much work to keep the matches even.

now, if they could address the (now 5?) bugs in multiplayer maps, we'd be golden. i know they're rearranging stages, but i don't think they acknowledged the exploits as of yet.

the patch i feel bad for is inkzooka. that's almost double the time between shots. so slow now.

Last edited:
agreed, nerfing all rollers was odd, but it's probably due to the krak-on, and they'd rather adjust the class as a whole. i agree with most of the changes, though.

being aware of the map is one thing, except you can't be aware of the map when two dynamos are flinging OHKO droplets everywhere, while the .52 has a splash wall up, and the eliter is picking people off the walls. saltspray was the worst for this. there was nothing you could do, if you didn't secure that area first.

Blaster could also OHKO with splash, which should never happen, conceptually.

there's a reason the only teams on ranked were dynamo/krak-on, .52/.96, eliter, and another blaster.

the strategies for each weapon still applies, but it's much less easy to dominate an area now (hopefully). also, the least used weapons, the l & H3, got coverage buffs, making them viable now. the devs seem to be really listening, and it's cool they'd go to so much work to keep the matches even.

now, if they could address the (now 5?) bugs in multiplayer maps, we'd be golden. i know they're rearranging stages, but i don't think they acknowledged the exploits as of yet.
In regards to the weapons you mentioned above that really sounds more like a map problem (that and all of those weapons are getting nerfed.). I don't know about you, but I find it pretty hard to not notice massive tidal waves of ink being flung everywhere by a Dynamo. Also, Dynamos (thankfully) can't OHKO with the entire hitbox of the wave (Ugh, can you imagine?). I have screwed around with blasters in training mode, but I have never once OHKOd a dummy with the splash. I was able to always get a 2HKO even if I barely grazed them. E-liters are extremely loud and give you a laser sight to make tracking their location a piece of cake. You'd also be surprised how easy it is to track multiple players once you get the feel for it.

Last edited:
H-3 also got a range buff, which helps it a lot (and feels right, as every gun it had the same range as completely dominated it, which includes the L-3). Now I expect more people to use that underrated weapon.

the patch i feel bad for is inkzooka. that's almost double the time between shots. so slow now.
The Inkzooka was one second between shots I believe, but with a start-up time of 0.5 seconds. That old start-up time allowed you to get some cheap splats. Now you won't have an Inkzooka activated right in your face when you're about to splat them.

EDIT:
In regards to the weapons you mentioned above that really sounds more like a map problem (that and all of those weapons are getting nerfed.). Dynamos (thankfully) can't OHKO with the entire hitbox of the wave (Ugh, can you imagine?). I have screwed around with blasters in training mode, but I have never once OHKOd a dummy with the splash. I was able to always get a 2HKO even if I barely grazed them. E-liters are extremely loud and give you a laser sight to make tracking their location a piece of cake. You'd also be surprised how easy it is to track multiple players once you get the feel for it.
The Dynamo couldn't OHKO with the whole wave, but before they could OHKO to the side of them. The buff now makes it so you have to aim for the OHKO. You could only OHKO with the splash damage if you had enough Damage Up buffs. Now, you're unable to do that with a Blaster. The E-Liter also was able to splat at 3/4 of a charge (around 1/2 if there were 3 Damage Ups, essentially making it a much better version of the normal Charger). The nerfs here bring them back into balance (even though I'll miss the E-Liter semi-charge kill ;-;)

H-3 also got a range buff, which helps it a lot (and feels right, as every gun it had the same range as completely dominated it, which includes the L-3). Now I expect more people to use that underrated weapon.

The Inkzooka was one second between shots I believe, but with a start-up time of 0.5 seconds. That old start-up time allowed you to get some cheap splats. Now you won't have an Inkzooka activated right in your face when you're about to splat them.

EDIT:

The Dynamo couldn't OHKO with the whole wave, but before they could OHKO to the side of them. The buff now makes it so you have to aim for the OHKO. You could only OHKO with the splash damage if you had enough Damage Up buffs. Now, you're unable to do that with a Blaster. The E-Liter also was able to splat at 3/4 of a charge (around 1/2 if there were 3 Damage Ups, essentially making it a much better version of the normal Charger). The nerfs here bring them back into balance (even though I'll miss the E-Liter semi-charge kill ;-;)
I was always able to kill Dynamos after being hit with the side shot, long before they could hit me due to that slow fire rate. I do agree on the e-liter nerf though, I was trying to make a point on map awareness not weapon balance. E-liters in particular can lock down areas extremely well (Morray Towers is notorious for this, but the E-liter is useless on this map when it comes to pushing)

I was always able to kill Dynamos after being hit with the side shot, long before they could hit me due to that slow fire rate. I do agree on the e-liter nerf though, I was trying to make a point on map awareness not weapon balance. E-liters in particular can lock down areas extremely well (Morray Towers is notorious for this, but the E-liter is useless on this map when it comes to pushing)
The Dynamo can't kill you from far away, but within its range it can kill you as long as you're in a line somewhere in the killing range. Now with that nerf, the Roller's pad has to be pointing at you to get OHKOed. Damage Up abilities help it increase its range as well, as more damage essentially means it can kill with splash damage from farther away.

E-Liter is normally useless for pushing anyways, as it's an extremely defensive Charger. Now, it'll be even harder to push as it was meant to be, and the normal E-Liter is more valuable now due to Burst Bombs.

E-Liter is normally useless for pushing anyways, as it's an extremely defensive Charger. Now, it'll be even harder to push as it was meant to be, and the normal E-Liter is more valuable now due to Burst Bombs.
Actually, ALL chargers should still be pushing it's essential to their gameplay (even the E-Liter). Chargers can help soften up the opposing team's defense from afar. However, their best use is to pressure the enemy team while your team is advancing. This helps ensure that turf gained while pushing isn't recovered easily. Even with a charger, you should still be near the action but at a safe distance. There's no point in camping in a sniper nest when there are no enemies around.

Pushing on Morray Towers is difficult for chargers because there are very few safe spots on the enemy side. The enemy can jump down from the scaffolds whenever they please (and it's very likely you won't know when), so it's easy to get nice and cozy next to an approaching charger.

One more day before the update. Last goodbye to annoying Blasters, Dynamos, E-Liters, Ink Walls, Krakens, and Inkzookas.

Say hello to the mobile Dual Squelcher, the balanced Rapid Blaster, a viable H-3 and some improved L-3's, rainmaker-breaking Sloshers, ink saving Splatlings and Bamboozlers, wider range Point Sensors, and an even scarier Bomb Rush.

Anyone know when the update is? Heard both 20th and 21st and nothing about what time.
no time announced yet. but they have bumped the 'maintenance' time for their quietly-placed update tonight, from four hours to five. No nintendo products will be online at that time. NOTHING.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom