• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

A Wild Splatoon Update Appears! (Version 2.2.0)

Hi squids! It's Hank from Nintendome! Nintendo just announced a new 2.2.0 update for Splatoon. They made some adjustments to the ranking system, as well as some light tweaks to game mechanics within ranked game modes. However, the big news with this update comes from Nintendo's weapon balancing.

Notably, Splash Walls, Krakens, and even Inkzookas were all nerfed. Not even the mighty Dynamo Roller was able to escape weapon balancing this time.

If you want all of the specifics, Nintendo has actually provided a comprehensive list of all of the changes it has made to various weapons in the 2.2.0 update. Take a look at all of the changes in the PDF linked below:

For more Splatoon updates, be sure to check back in at Squidboards!

Comments

What are you talking about? E-liter did not get an increase in charge time. The changes made to the weapon were that it's damage scalar will be changed so that it can't one shot at 3/4s a full charge anymore. This is good because that quick charge to kill speed was bull. It gave an unnecessary advantage for the weapon that other chargers did not have.
I'm out of town and don't want to have to go through the math step by step (which I would gladly do) but the new distribution is 25% lower than the previous one. To offset this, one must charge the weapon for 33% longer to deal the exact same damage as the prenerf E3K.

While yes, technically there is no increase in charge time; there effectively is now when it comes to how long you must charge to kill someone.

I'm out of town and don't want to have to go through the math step by step (which I would gladly do) but the new distribution is 25% lower than the previous one. To offset this, one must charge the weapon for 33% longer to deal the exact same damage as the prenerf E3K.

While yes, technically there is no increase in charge time; there effectively is now when it comes to how long you must charge to kill someone.
Erm, what? Uncharged shots can only deal 40-100 damage now as opposed to 40-120, meaning without damage ups you need to fully charge to OHKO.

EDIT: Oh wait, I misread what you're saying lol nvm.

That is the point. They want you to fully charge you shot to get the ohko just like the other chargers. Splat charger has that same distribution. Squiffer has it even worse with an 80 shot damage at max charge (it only gets the 140 damage because they add an additional 60 damage to every charger on full charge). This was their intent with every charger with exception to Bamboozler for obvious reasons. They have always wanted you to charge to the fullest charge, not to kill before that. If anything, this weeds out the weak, unskilled E-liters from the pros. Also, I understand what you mean through the use of function transformations in mathematics.

That is the point. They want you to fully charge you shot to get the ohko just like the other chargers. Splat charger has that same distribution. Squiffer has it even worse with an 80 shot damage at max charge (it only gets the 140 damage because they add an additional 60 damage to every charger on full charge). This was their intent with every charger with exception to Bamboozler for obvious reasons. They have always wanted you to charge to the fullest charge, not to kill before that. If anything, this weeds out the weak, unskilled E-liters from the pros. Also, I understand what you mean through the use of function transformations in mathematics.
Unskilled E-liters already weeded themselves out by being unable to get kills and being a burden on the team. This just makes it nearly impossible for the actual good elite snipers to kill you up close if they didn't already see you before you're in range to hit them.

Snipers play a different role in a match from the close quarters weapon users. Even the best players shouldn't be allowed to have an answer to every situation (screwing up by letting someone sneak up on you) using just one weapon.

Unskilled E-liters already weeded themselves out by being unable to get kills and being a burden on the team. This just makes it nearly impossible for the actual good elite snipers to kill you up close if they didn't already see you before you're in range to hit them.
Yeah. Exactly. The e-liter is meant to be the really long range charger. It had too much power up-close for what it was and made other chargers basically obsolete. Now it will be closer to its intended purpose.

This is delicious!

I was recently experimenting with the Inkbrush and N-Zap '89 for their sprinklers, and now I see these buffs. Beautiful!

I'm also feeling those roller nerfs. I experimented with the Carbon and Krak-On rollers and I felt I was getting too many braindead splats. These nerfs should keep roller players more honest. Especially Dynamo roller players...you won't believe how salty I get when I see one of these guys splat me when I'm positioned 3 miles away and 90 degrees from the front of their swing!

I'm hyped to play this again.

*See's patch notes* It's...... it's...... beautiful. Pretty much everything I agree with in some form. Splattershot nerf, check. Roller nerf, check, blaster nerf, check. Splat-o-matic damage buff, ........SQUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! *Ahem*..... check.

I'm rather happy to see Krakens and the mighty Inkzooka nerfed at long last. It's about time they got on the 'Nerfed Hit List' considering how OP they are. I could care less about Roller to be honest. It just takes good skill to dodge them, though having the Dynamo Roller nerfed will be good for those who do dislike being hit by it. I'll admit that being splatted by a roller is no fun but killing one isn't exactly anything to call home about either, as there is bound to be more than one roller on a team in most cases.

I'm rather happy to see Krakens and the mighty Inkzooka nerfed at long last. It's about time they got on the 'Nerfed Hit List' considering how OP they are. I could care less about Roller to be honest. It just takes good skill to dodge them, though having the Dynamo Roller nerfed will be good for those who do dislike being hit by it. I'll admit that being splatted by a roller is no fun but killing one isn't exactly anything to call home about either, as there is bound to be more than one roller on a team in most cases.
The inkzooka is also a very easy weapon to dodge. I'm scared that it may become a very lame weapon, I'd hate to see that. It's one of my favorites.

Nearly impossible?

:burstbomb::kraken::burstbomb::kraken::burstbomb::kraken::burstbomb:

:cool:

Also damage ups will still allow it to kill before it reaches full charge, probably only half as much as before though.

I love everything about the patch. Every nerf or upgrade was great.
Except the Splash-O-Matics.
The patch made those worse than they already are.

I agree with this update.

E-Liters and Dynamos gave me the most trouble because of how powerful they were. Now, at least I have a little more of a chance against them, especially when most of my favorite weapons (the Carbon Roller notwithstanding) are getting a buff to compensate. Even the Inkzooka nerf isn't that big of a deal since I've found that using it tactically rather than mashing the fire button works wonders (not that I'll stop mashing, but the update's most likely going to make me be more careful about when).

Looking forward to 10 PM ET on the 20th!

I love everything about the patch. Every nerf or upgrade was great.
Except the Splash-O-Matics.
The patch made those worse than they already are.
My condolences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom