• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Advanced Tech Thread

Xenoda

Inkling
NNID
Xenoda
Might as well make one thread to consist of all the tech and new tech found instead of multiple posts and in many locations. I'll keep this post updated with videos and new tech as I can find it. If you see something here not added, go ahead and post it or send me a PM and I'll add it here.

Splatterdashing
Look down and turn into squid form (ZL) while on any enemy or normal land. Press your fire button (ZR) and move forward. Continue to do so rhythmically and it'll allow you to move much faster than any other way on enemy or normal land. Only works with a fast fire gun (Splattershot, etc). If you have problems with being killed while looking down in game, remember that by pressing Y it'll align your camera upwards. This allows you to do splatterdashing while escaping without being completely defenseless.
Video Incoming

Powerthrowing

Moving with momentum increases the launch distance of your grenades. Any throwable sub weapon works with this. Simply get in your team's ink and build up some momentum, then jump out of the ink with X and throw your sub weapon. Seems to extend the distance by almost 33%, but exact numbers aren't currently known.
Video Incoming

Last edited:

Jiggly

Senior Squid
NNID
Jiggly101
Hey guys! I've been using this since friday, just haven't gotten around to writing this. So right after you jump, you can mash ZL to turn between squid and kid repeatedly. I call this flopping. Now at first, I didn't think this had any applications at all. I mean, does mashing a button really have any application? Well, it does. Do you have it where you're being attacked, and you get killed while turning around, as kid or squid form? Well I present to you: Flop Pivoting! When you are turning from kid to squid, you have this transitional period to quick turn a 180 (motion and stick left/right), or hold down. This will cause you to be looking one way in Kid form, then the complete opposite direction in squid form. So no time is used having to turn around, you can instantly flee as a squid, and hopefully live. You can also press Y right after the pivot, to see right behind you.

I havent been able to pull it off the other way around, but if someone does, please tell me as that could be used as an toffensive tactic. I currently do not have a capture card, so if someone could get a video for the OP, that would be great. The timing with this is strict with quick turning, but definitely worth practicing. A lot easier to do with holding down, but quick turning can give you other pivots that aren't a 180, so both are good to practice. I hope no one has brought this up yet, or else I would feel bad for not bringing it up :p

Last edited:

Alus

Senior Squid
NNID
starsauce
You can also press down+Y.

Not sure on the time it takes compared to this but it's pretty easy.

Jiggly

Senior Squid
NNID
Jiggly101

Huh, didn't know that, but idk if I can actually dod that in battle due to my small hands :(

Jiggly

Senior Squid
NNID
Jiggly101

So I was testing it out, and you have to press down to turn around, then press y. This makes you do the turn around animation, which is what this AT prevents.

So you can press Y after doing a flop pivot, and be looking that direction the instant you do it. And it's best to hold down, but quick turn can work.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
So if I'm getting this correctly, you're just suggesting that you use the time in the air to adjust your view to 180 degrees behind you?
Because that actually might no be a tech. It also my end up just putting you at more risk than less risk, which would mean it would be a poor thing to practice.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Links to threads would be very useful for this thread.
A coupld more I know of: Splatterhopping and inkteching. I think there are some others but I can't remember them right now.
Splatterhopping thread should come up with search, but I can't find an inkteching thread... one may need to be made.

Leather Belt

Inkling
NNID
CannonMinion
Just wanted to say thanks for making a real dedicated tech thread. Way easier than scouring the site/internet for the real tech. It'd be great if this thread was sticky'd and edited when appropriate.

CoopLan

Squid Streamer
NNID
LanceHS
Why is power throwing a "tech"? It's just simple physics, you can assume it works in almost every single game with decent physics. I understand the point of learning tech and having a nice list available for everyone but having stuff like that in the list is pointless.

Jiggly

Senior Squid
NNID
Jiggly101
So if I'm getting this correctly, you're just suggesting that you use the time in the air to adjust your view to 180 degrees behind you?
Because that actually might no be a tech. It also my end up just putting you at more risk than less risk, which would mean it would be a poor thing to practice.
no, if you switch direction in your kid to squid transition, you will instantly face that direction, and not have to do a turn around animation. It works best if you hold down between kid and squid. You face one way as kid, and during the animation into squid hold down, it's an exact 180 pivot, instead of having to turn around. It is the fastest way to retreat. I only wish I could pull it off squid to kid so you could attack people behind you, but I cac't seem to pull it off.

Mayday

Row, Row, Fight the Power!
NNID
MaydayBelieves
Stuck the thread and made it the official Advanced Tech thread. Will be merging all AT threads that were made after this one

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Stuck the thread and made it the official Advanced Tech thread. Will be merging all AT threads that were made after this one
Please, please, pleeease don't do that. Each tech needs individual threads so that it's individual uses and applications can be talked about individually. Just look at the splatdashing and splatterhopping threads. If the two were together first of all there would be a lot of clutter, second of all people would get even more confused between the two than they already are. It's completely possible one of them might fade completely into existence because it's really, really hard to talk about several different techs at the same time without people getting confused. The solution to that would be to talk about them one at a time, but then like I said before techs get forgotten. Some tech discussions go on for pages and months. Then every time they get a new use the discussion kicks up all over again. Having all that vast array of discussion in one thread is a recipe for disaster and will seriously hurt the competitive scene.

no, if you switch direction in your kid to squid transition, you will instantly face that direction, and not have to do a turn around animation. It works best if you hold down between kid and squid. You face one way as kid, and during the animation into squid hold down, it's an exact 180 pivot, instead of having to turn around. It is the fastest way to retreat. I only wish I could pull it off squid to kid so you could attack people behind you, but I cac't seem to pull it off.
Is there any chance you could record this? Doesn't need to be a capture card, phone, camera, whatever you can get would be helpful.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
One more thing I found specifically useful is swimming sideways, jumping and then shooting (or spraying as a roller). Whenever you shoot your character reassumes a direction lining up with the camera even after going sideways. This is useful for say a corner fight, or if you're combating out in the open and you want to move orthogonal to your opponent so he can't hit you as much. Not sure if it's all that useful for shooters, but as a roller it's a good strat. not sure if it's a legit tech though and if it's worth mentioning in the original post.

Mondrae205

Senior Squid
You guys forgot about shift-cancelling. By changing into a human you get rid of all your momentum. It can be used to turn around quickly like mentioned earlier in this thread but you can also use it to travel faster by using it right after a ramp and then turning right back into a squid or shooting/using your secondary as soon as you reach the top of a wall or steep ramp. This is great for jumping people who are perched on a wall.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Holy crap, this game hasn't even been out for two weeks and we already have tech?
Yep. MK8 had firehopping and slide techs (on hills) in the first 4 days I think. Rapid communication growth etc in comparison to games before 2009ish.

Xenoda

Inkling
NNID
Xenoda
Ah, glad to see this thread got some attention. I'll be updating it regularly as I find videos and confirmation that the tech people mention does work.
About this 180 pivot, I don't really see how this is tech unless someone can find a video showing me it in more detail? The way I'm understanding what people are mentioning, it's using the camera to do 180 pilot behind you? This is mentioned in the tutorial of the game that if you hold down and press Y, it turns you around? I'd gladly add it to the post if anyone could explain further.

I'm getting videos up for the original tech in this topic soon as I have a capture card arriving very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom