Advanced Tech Thread

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Ah, glad to see this thread got some attention. I'll be updating it regularly as I find videos and confirmation that the tech people mention does work.
About this 180 pivot, I don't really see how this is tech unless someone can find a video showing me it in more detail? The way I'm understanding what people are mentioning, it's using the camera to do 180 pilot behind you? This is mentioned in the tutorial of the game that if you hold down and press Y, it turns you around? I'd gladly add it to the post if anyone could explain further.

I'm getting videos up for the original tech in this topic soon as I have a capture card arriving very soon.
Y doesn't turn you around, it just resets the camera to behind your inkling.

Xenoda

Inkling
NNID
Xenoda
Y doesn't turn you around, it just resets the camera to behind your inkling.
Mhm, I'm aware of that. I was just wondering if anything else was found to add onto that, because I don't see how a game intended mechanic (to hold down and press y to turn around your camera) serves at tech. I may be missing something though.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Mhm, I'm aware of that. I was just wondering if anything else was found to add onto that, because I don't see how a game intended mechanic (to hold down and press y to turn around your camera) serves at tech. I may be missing something though.
I think the tech their turning around let's you turn your character around instantly. Either that or it let's you turn the character around instantly and then shoot. Without the turning animation, which saves frames.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
Yes. I forgot to mention that if you attack before you jump, you won't go quite as far.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Yes. I forgot to mention that if you attack before you jump, you won't go quite as far.
So the inputs are just x --> ZL and repeat then?
Have you tested if certain timings work better than others? Like if the earlier of later in the jump is better?
Also just did a rough tming and it doesn't seem to slow you down, at least not by much. Not enough to not make the technique worth it.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
I noticed with the .52 gal that you lose speed over time, which I am assuming is relative to the time you spend on the ground.Higher jumps obviously allowed for me to move a longer period of time with the .52 gal. However, I don't think it really matters with the Dynamo Roller, since the charge is only a couple of seconds.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
I noticed with the .52 gal that you lose speed over time, which I am assuming is relative to the time you spend on the ground.Higher jumps obviously allowed for me to move a longer period of time with the .52 gal. However, I don't think it really matters with the Dynamo Roller, since the charge is only a couple of seconds.
That seems pretty important. Is there a way to test the amount of damage over extended periods of time because it definitely changes the strategy and power behind weapon usage.

Mister Chippy

Inkster Jr.
So not totally sure if this counts but because powerthrowing is here I guess it's ok since that's around as standard as this. Flicking is present and fairly strong in Splatoon.

For those of you who don't know, Flicking is the act of using aim assist to hit targets by flicking your sights to them very, very quickly and shooting as soon as you're over them. As long as you're accurate enough, the aim assist will take pity on you and nudge your crosshairs a little bit so your quick near miss turns into a direct hit. You still need to aim (and you need to aim fast, since you've got to move your crosshairs pretty quickly to make aim assist really relevant) but it allows you to substitute twitch aim for tracking aim, keep your sights off your target, protect yourself in dangerous situations, and prevent those situations where you just barely miss.

I've done a little bit of testing in Turf Wars with the Splatterscope and I'm 100% convinced that it's present.

BeanYak

Full Squid
NNID
Catman789
Holy crap, this game hasn't even been out for two weeks and we already have tech?
I feel like many of the things that people found in games like smash were found by accident, and those accidents must have taken a while to find. In Splatoon, people (myself included) are desperately trying to toy with the game's physics and find as much cool stuff as possible.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
I feel like many of the things that people found in games like smash were found by accident, and those accidents must have taken a while to find. In Splatoon, people (myself included) are desperately trying to toy with the game's physics and find as much cool stuff as possible.
ot necessarily. In th beginning a lot of it was by accident, and a fair amount still is, but a couple of them were educated guesses that came from knowing the engine and toying with it.

Sharkpuncher

Inkling
This... seems like it might be the best place to put this? I dunno. Not sure if this has been discovered or not, but: I was just in a Ranked Battle at Port Mackerel I was around our side's splat zone, and I decided to superjump over to some teammates making an offense on the other side's splat zone. However, just before I launched to the other side, a teammate near me used the bubbler, and so I got the shield around me and stuff. But when I landed near my other teammates, despite me not being the one to use the bubbler, all of them became protected as well, leading to a very successful takeover of the other splat zone.

I'm not sure if this is something which everyone else already knows about or not, but either way, it seems like a nice strategic option. It might need to be tested, but I'm pretty sure I'm remembering what happened right, anyway.

2Vites

Inkling
NNID
XanDaMan
How fast can you really get with splatter dashing compared to normal walking speed and normal squid speed? Anyone got any numbers yet?

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
no, if you switch direction in your kid to squid transition, you will instantly face that direction, and not have to do a turn around animation. It works best if you hold down between kid and squid. You face one way as kid, and during the animation into squid hold down, it's an exact 180 pivot, instead of having to turn around. It is the fastest way to retreat. I only wish I could pull it off squid to kid so you could attack people behind you, but I cac't seem to pull it off.
Omg I have to try this now. May finally be the answer to my prayers. So many times I lose a fight/can't escape because I can't turn around fast enough x.x

I noticed something similar with the blaster. Seemed like the shots would start to come out slower if I just held and kept shooting for a while.

Erico9001

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Erico9001
hey umm, I have a thought...

want to start calling splatterdashing "wavedashing" =P?

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
Might as well make one thread to consist of all the tech and new tech found instead of multiple posts and in many locations. I'll keep this post updated with videos and new tech as I can find it. If you see something here not added, go ahead and post it or send me a PM and I'll add it here.

Splatterdashing
Look down and turn into squid form (ZL) while on any enemy or normal land. Press your fire button (ZR) and move forward. Continue to do so rhythmically and it'll allow you to move much faster than any other way on enemy or normal land. Only works with a fast fire gun (Splattershot, etc). If you have problems with being killed while looking down in game, remember that by pressing Y it'll align your camera upwards. This allows you to do splatterdashing while escaping without being completely defenseless.
Video Incoming

Powerthrowing

Moving with momentum increases the launch distance of your grenades. Any throwable sub weapon works with this. Simply get in your team's ink and build up some momentum, then jump out of the ink with X and throw your sub weapon. Seems to extend the distance by almost 33%, but exact numbers aren't currently known.
Video Incoming
do you want me to record vids of AT?

Matt_Piscopo

Inkling
NNID
Mattou2
Hi,i found this new tech that i call Splat Cancel,i don't know if it's useful but here's a video of it ;

EDIT : It works on all jumps (short,high,long,...),it's just a easy way to be more
silent.

Last edited:

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Hi,i found this new tech that i call Splat Cancel,i don't know if it's useful but here's a video of it ;

EDIT : It works on all jumps (short,high,long,...),it's just a easy way to be more
silent.
What is exactly does this do and how do you perform it? The only difference I can really see is that the charge symbol doesn't disappear when the cancel is used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom