• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

All Multiplayer Maps

DaKid

Pro Squid
So about my theory that the E3 map is not actually Urchin Underpass, I've taken these shots, most of them come from a single trailer, the Japanese Overview trailer but a single screenshot is also from a GameXplain match. (JP overview: https: //youtu.be/9MozufxTrb8 I'm not sure how to not expand the video, remove the space to actually go to the vídeo).

As you'll see on the comparisons, there are significant differences between both maps, and all this footage is in the same video, so it is not just alterations that were done through development, but actually two different maps in the games, unless for some modes it changes some aspects and that is why both versions are shown.

I think you might be right, but I'm not sure if Urchin Underpass is what it became and they just use stock footage of the E3 map, or if they're both two different maps… Don't see why we'd need two maps that look virtually identical though.

DaKid

Pro Squid
Ok, scrap the construction map, the factory map, and the arowanna look alike map. Those are indeed old versions of Saltspray Rig, Arowanna Mall, and Walleye Warehouse. They were just using stock footage of those maps in the Japanese trailer. I figured this out by examining the E3 footage, and footage of that trailer others.

What gave it away were the D-pad ping options. The E3 version of the game has only one option that says "Signal", the final version of the game has two options. And none of the footage of these maps ever had those two other options present, only the one. So it's safe to say that those maps, or at least those versions of them are gone.

ClearlyConfused

Inkling
So I hate to burst your bubble but the Construction map, Warehouse map, and Town esc looking map are just old versions of Saltspray, Walleye, and Arowana. I believe they were changed just as Urchin Underpass was changed from the original e3 build. So so far we only know of the original 5 plus Triggerfish, Kelp Dome, Port Mackerel, and the train yard they showed during the latest direct.

ClearlyConfused

Inkling
Anyone tried to piece together a map for Camp Triggerfish? I'm going over some footage and I believe I got the basics down but I don't have really any drawing skills and the map has a lot of verticality too which makes it more difficult to draw too :p

Anyway there is one section though that I can't figure out, to the point that I believe we are probably looking at two different maps in the same theme and not only one, look at these two images:

I really don't think these can be from the same map.
I believe they are but maybe one is from a very earlier version. I mean its been almost a year now since we've seen these maps they are bound to go through changes after being play tested for so long.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
Yeah, I was going through the Direct again and noticed the new Urchin Underpass is the only we see, not sure why they use old footage on the Japanese trailer though, they show a lot of old maps.

Also most sure "new" Camp Triggerfish (the one that will be in the game) is the one with a lot more walls (second image), also the only version that appears on the Direct.

Austinuity

Inkling
That construction site stage, Port Mackarel, and the first unidentified stage look like they could all be the same stage.

Setu

That construction site stage, Port Mackarel, and the first unidentified stage look like they could all be the same stage.
If you look SUPER closely, you can see that Port Mackerel has a different background than the construction site stage, and Port Mackerel seems to be a bit more open than the Factory looking stage.

Last edited:

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
I really hope they add a second spawn route for Walleye Warehouse.

Saltspray Rig feels and plays perfectly so far. Really love playing this map, certainly my favorite out of the three maps I've played thus far.

DaBoss

Pro Squid
The City/Railroad-esque map is in the game as an Octoling map in the single player.

It is one of the girl amiibo challenges.

Thebluehero

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
YoloSwaggie
I'm kind of hoping that the old construction map is going to be it's own, because it looks really cool. I just love it for some reason.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
Huh, no mention of the factory level or the other oil rig looking map.
Supposedly the factory level was an early Walleye Warehouse, and the other Oil Rig an early Saltyspray Rig, it's a shame because particularly this old oil rig map looked really different from the version we have now, I feel both could co-exist.

About other early versions, the early Urchin Underpass was really similar so not much was lost. The old factory level has like 5 seconds of footage, not much to compare. Camp Triggerfish is also really similar, but I think it could have worked as a separate map, was much more open, maybe it was unbalanced and favored chargers so possibly the right call. Not sure about the early version of Arowana Mall either, but looked fairly similar so I think it falls in line with Urchin Underpass minor modifications.

In other news someone on GAF posted this image (sorry gaf user for not sourcing you, didn't pay attention to username, just saved the image >.< ), looks like another map from future updates, most vertical map so far:
map.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom