Another 3rd Kits Thread

isaac4

Inkling Commander
Wasn't sure whether or not to make another thread for talking about third kits we'd want since it's a topic that's already been discussed multiple times by now but with every weapon in the game now finally having a second kit, the chance that this could be the last season (not confirmed yet though), and some new users joining the site I think it's still a good idea.
The new kits from this season have also brought some of the fun back for me in theory crafting sub/special combinations. I'll also try not to clutter up this post with my explanations on the kits, but they'll still be there as an option if anyone wants to read.

Kit_Sloshing_Machine 2024_6_8 21_17_14.jpg

Torp is a sub that's barely on any weapons, but they work so well with sloshers so I really want to see it on Machine.
Splat Bomb would be cool too but the chip damage, location, and even possible combo potential will make it feel so much better to use.
Just being able to throw Torp over a ledge and follow up with a slosh gives it so much more aggressive potential than both vMachine and Machine Neo. I really wanted a more aggressive kit and while Trizooka can definitely be used aggressively, it's still on a Machine kit without a bomb. Not that I don't like Point Sensor but after the fire rate nerf, the weapon just feels so much slower and harder to play.
Crab is also just an amazing special, and it's also not on any sloshers. So a very similar situation with Torp, where I want to try a certain sub or special but it's not on any of the weapons I play.
I also have a preference for specials that take away your main and force you to be good at using them, Inkjet and Kraken being obvious examples. So far, both Machine kits have a special that take away their main and I want to keep that pattern. I enjoyed the process of getting better with Booyah and not just throwing it at Tower, and the process of getting better with Zooka back when I had no idea what I was doing with it and it wasn't meta yet so I would enjoy another Machine kit that lets me learn how to properly position and use Crab.
It'll also be very funny if Machine was paired up with the same top tier special it was fighting against back when it was also at the top of the meta.
Just to clarify though, I've had this idea before people started asking for Torp/Crab on Dread so I didn't take that and give it to Machine lol.

Kit_Slosher 2024_6_8 21_20_9.jpg

I know it's another Torp slosher but there's barely Torp weapons in the game and I really just want to see the sub on a lot more weapons. A lot of the reasons why I'd want it on Slosher are the same as Machine but there's another big reason, the vanilla kit with Splat Bomb is stuck with Strikes.
I've talked about it before but the devs have always given Splat Bomb to Soda Slosher, which has also been the aggressive kit for the weapon in both of the previous games. Obviously they can't do that for Splatoon 3 though, so there's not as many options for a sub that can help Slosher play to that aggressive playstyle.
Suction wouldn't be anywhere near as good as Splat Bomb, same goes for Autobomb.
While Fizzy is amazing, it's already on two other sloshers and I honestly think it would encourage a more passive, special focused playstyle where you spam Fizzy to get as many Zookas as possible which isn't my goal here.
This isn't me saying that vBucket isn't aggressive though, but it's held back because of Strikes. I really wish they just copied the Soda Slosher kit from Splatoon 1 so it could have Splat Bomb/Trizooka.
Trizooka would fit Slosher so well, probably even better than Machine. While it wouldn't be in the same positions as Machine since it fights ahead a lot more, that wouldn't be too big of a deal. You could go in, kill one enemy player, pop Zooka to shoot at the other enemy player who noticed you, and continue your push with a full ink tank. That sounds a lot more fun than how vBucket plays right now.
I'll post some more later in the thread but this is what I have right now.

vitellary

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
they/them
i honestly might redo my own "predictions for every 2nd and 3rd kit" thread from a while ago to reconsider what i think a set of 3rd kits could be, knowing all of the kits we have now. would be a fun challenge to redo it i think, since i tried to keep special number balancing in mind and that's gonna be thrown Way off by all the new kits that i didn't see coming

to me more on-topic though... it's honestly really hard to come up with 3rd kits that i'd personally be invested in, since i basically have perfect kits on all of my mains now. vanilla edit, custom dousers, charcoal decav... i have no clue what a 3rd kit could bring that would make me play it over those existing kits
the most i can hope for is gloogas with fizzy bomb and a support special, because i do really like gloogas, and i really like playing support, and those two facts don't really mesh well together with its current very good, but very aggressive, kits

isaac4

Inkling Commander
i honestly might redo my own "predictions for every 2nd and 3rd kit" thread from a while ago to reconsider what i think a set of 3rd kits could be, knowing all of the kits we have now. would be a fun challenge to redo it i think, since i tried to keep special number balancing in mind and that's gonna be thrown Way off by all the new kits that i didn't see coming

to me more on-topic though... it's honestly really hard to come up with 3rd kits that i'd personally be invested in, since i basically have perfect kits on all of my mains now. vanilla edit, custom dousers, charcoal decav... i have no clue what a 3rd kit could bring that would make me play it over those existing kits
the most i can hope for is gloogas with fizzy bomb and a support special, because i do really like gloogas, and i really like playing support, and those two facts don't really mesh well together with its current very good, but very aggressive, kits
When I think of 3rd kits, I prioritze the sub/special combinations that would encourage a different and fun playstyle. vMachine's kit is basically perfect but I still like having different ways to play my main weapon, even if they're not as strong.
That's also what I thought Machine Neo would be, a fun kit that isn't as strong but still lets me play Machine in a different way. That didn't end up being the case but I still wouldn't have cared if it never became meta.

Grushi

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
So I like thinking about cool third kits for my weapons, but that's no fun right guys-

YOU HAVE WALKED INTO A TRAP POST.
NINTENDO SHALL ADD THIRD KITS TO THE GAME, YET THE BALANCING TEAM'S HUBRIS CONTINUES. THEY SHALL CURSE THREE WEAPONS WITH BAD SPECIALS AS A BLOOD SACRIFICE.

FIRST CURSE: CURSE OF WAVE BREAKER

Kit_Explosher 2024_6_10 9_22_36.png

Did something just happen? Weird.
Anyway I think torp and wave could have very good synergy with explo! It loves knowing where people are, and that kit gives it combo damage! Torp can even paint its feet, that sub would be amazing for explo.
Now, it's obviously not the greatest comp kit but it already has two decent ones, so I don't think it's that bad. So what's the next kit?

SECOND CURSE: CURSE OF INK VAC

Kit_Splattershot_Nova 2024_6_10 9_24_54.png

Really? Nova? I don't care about that weapon but I mean okay I guess...
So uhhh burst is a good start! This weapon needs good combo damage and burst might help it actually get splats, so a great fit clearly. But vac is... I mean, at least you're not losing a very threatening weapon! You don't have that much presence on the map anyway, so whatever. This could be a fun supportive kit! This weapon's also turbo-sh*t in rainmaker so hey it won't be a pain in that-

FINAL CURSE: CURSE OF REEFSLIDER

Kit_Sloshing_Machine 2024_6_10 9_23_29.png

Wait MACHINE???? Oh god Isaac won't be too happy about-
MACHINE SHALL DEFEND ITSELF FROM UP CLOSE ENCOUNTERS WITH THE REEFSLIDER SPECIAL, THANKS TO ITS RECENTLY BUFFED STARTUP INVINCIBILITY, AND FAST DETONATING SPLAT BOMBS. AFTER ITS ENEMIES HAVE BEEN WEAKENED, IT MAY FOLLOW UP WITH A SLOSH TO MAKE THEM FEEL THE PAIN OF REEFSLIDER. THIS KIT MAY ALSO MAKE UP FOR ITS POOR PAINT OUTPUT, GIVING IT A NICHE IN SPLAT ZONES.

isaac4

Inkling Commander
So I like thinking about cool third kits for my weapons, but that's no fun right guys-

YOU HAVE WALKED INTO A TRAP POST.
NINTENDO SHALL ADD THIRD KITS TO THE GAME, YET THE BALANCING TEAM'S HUBRIS CONTINUES. THEY SHALL CURSE THREE WEAPONS WITH BAD SPECIALS AS A BLOOD SACRIFICE.

FIRST CURSE: CURSE OF WAVE BREAKER

View attachment 11867
Did something just happen? Weird.
Anyway I think torp and wave could have very good synergy with explo! It loves knowing where people are, and that kit gives it combo damage! Torp can even paint its feet, that sub would be amazing for explo.
Now, it's obviously not the greatest comp kit but it already has two decent ones, so I don't think it's that bad. So what's the next kit?

SECOND CURSE: CURSE OF INK VAC

View attachment 11868
Really? Nova? I don't care about that weapon but I mean okay I guess...
So uhhh burst is a good start! This weapon needs good combo damage and burst might help it actually get splats, so a great fit clearly. But vac is... I mean, at least you're not losing a very threatening weapon! You don't have that much presence on the map anyway, so whatever. This could be a fun supportive kit! This weapon's also turbo-sh*t in rainmaker so hey it won't be a pain in that-

FINAL CURSE: CURSE OF REEFSLIDER

View attachment 11869
Wait MACHINE???? Oh god Isaac won't be too happy about-
MACHINE SHALL DEFEND ITSELF FROM UP CLOSE ENCOUNTERS WITH THE REEFSLIDER SPECIAL, THANKS TO ITS RECENTLY BUFFED STARTUP INVINCIBILITY, AND FAST DETONATING SPLAT BOMBS. AFTER ITS ENEMIES HAVE BEEN WEAKENED, IT MAY FOLLOW UP WITH A SLOSH TO MAKE THEM FEEL THE PAIN OF REEFSLIDER. THIS KIT MAY ALSO MAKE UP FOR ITS POOR PAINT OUTPUT, GIVING IT A NICHE IN SPLAT ZONES.
Ngl, I actually see some potential for that Machine kit (I'm lying, it'll be worse than vDread).

Grushi

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Ngl, I actually see some potential for that Machine kit (I'm lying, it'll be worse than vDread).
I actually couldn't think of a better weapon to curse with reefslider lol. Seriously I can't think of a single better fit, machine just has great follow up to the 70 damage hit, even though that's also dread and s-blast's thing.

I'm curious, does anyone know a better reefslider sacrifice?

sevenleaf

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
I actually couldn't think of a better weapon to curse with reefslider lol. Seriously I can't think of a single better fit, machine just has great follow up to the 70 damage hit, even though that's also dread and s-blast's thing.

give a third dualie reefslider it’ll be funny 😌

i’m not actually smart enough to think of serious third kits lol. im just here to nod along to everyone else’s ideas

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
The string's the thing, the thin string thing with the Toxic Mist, Reefslider and Ultra Stamp, think Stringer kits that can do things.
Without further ado:

Tri-Stringer:
Ink Mine + Booyah Bomb

Tri-Stringer is a backline weapon, despite what Nintendo may think. The Ink Mine is good defensively, and would work wonders with the trapping power of the Stringer main. As for Booyah Bomb, more defense doesn't hurt, and a supportive special is the correct choice.
I would have given it Ink Storm, but another was more deserving.

REEF-LUX 450:
Torpedo + Crab Tank

Poor REEF-LUX, consigned to inking turf for a living. I will free it from support jail with the crushing power of Crab Tank! (210p, of course.) Torpedo as a garnish, the main loves distracted opponents, and it would only add to its terrifying paint power.
(If Nintendo wants the thing to paint less why don't they just nerf its paint??)

Wellstring V:
Squid Beakon + Ink Storm

Wellstring fans! I ask a simple question: How often do you use your sub weapon in a game? A lot? You're lying.
The Squid Beakon is the pickiest sub in the game, providing zero combat utility to its main. Wellstring would rather spam arrows than its sub weapon, making it a good fit for Beakon. Ink Storm only enhances its strengths of area control and chip damage. A very balanced kit.

Thank you for your time.

isaac4

Inkling Commander

I thought about the combo damage as well, but Slider is just so bad that any sort of synergy still doesn't make the special work on any weapon. I would genuinely prefer if the devs decided to never make another kit with it, especially since we have TSD now.

isaac4

Inkling Commander
The string's the thing, the thin string thing with the Toxic Mist, Reefslider and Ultra Stamp, think Stringer kits that can do things.
Without further ado:

Tri-Stringer:
Ink Mine + Booyah Bomb

Tri-Stringer is a backline weapon, despite what Nintendo may think. The Ink Mine is good defensively, and would work wonders with the trapping power of the Stringer main. As for Booyah Bomb, more defense doesn't hurt, and a supportive special is the correct choice.
I would have given it Ink Storm, but another was more deserving.

REEF-LUX 450:
Torpedo + Crab Tank

Poor REEF-LUX, consigned to inking turf for a living. I will free it from support jail with the crushing power of Crab Tank! (210p, of course.) Torpedo as a garnish, the main loves distracted opponents, and it would only add to its terrifying paint power.
(If Nintendo wants the thing to paint less why don't they just nerf its paint??)

Wellstring V:
Squid Beakon + Ink Storm

Wellstring fans! I ask a simple question: How often do you use your sub weapon in a game? A lot? You're lying.
The Squid Beakon is the pickiest sub in the game, providing zero combat utility to its main. Wellstring would rather spam arrows than its sub weapon, making it a good fit for Beakon. Ink Storm only enhances its strengths of area control and chip damage. A very balanced kit.

Thank you for your time.
The fact that neither Tri-Stringer or Wellstring got Ink Storm is crazy. They clearly know what type of weapons work with it though, since they gave it to Blob and Explo.
Tri-Stringer with Booyah would be so nice though and would also synergize better than the vHydra kit.

Catloafman

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
Fella
Heres some kits I want to see

Splat brella:
Suction chumps
Listen I know suction is bad with it but its still a suction nice for poking every once in a while and chumps would go nuclear with this weapon like you get paint to move in and body blocking it just WORKS

Tri stringer:
Wall booyah
yeah its Kgal but like...

Wellstring V:
Curling inkjet
Aggro wellstring but it actually has a special

Ballpoint Splatling:
Beacon screen
Think about it for a minute it makes way too much sense

isaac4

Inkling Commander
Posting two more kits here for Tri and Blob.

Kit_Tri-Slosher 2024_6_8 21_23_6.jpg

The devs giving Toxic Mist to Tri is one of my least favorite kit decisions they've ever made. The main weapon has some weaknesses that become a bigger issue when it doesn't have a bomb.
Weak paint output, short range, and being very reliant on its team having map control for mobility make it extremely difficult for Tri to do its role when it gets stuck with something like Toxic Mist.
I think the concept of trapping enemy players with your sub, and then chasing them down with your main was a nice idea but Burst does that better.
Not only that but it also opens up potential damage combos, improves mobility, helps paint output, and also lets it poke at players outside its range which is very important since Tri is going to be dealing with a lot of midline weapons that it struggles to get close to.
Obviously, Burst being good on a slosher is obvious but I think Tri is the best option for it. It wouldn't be as good as it could be on regular Slosher either since it doesn't have the range to follow up if thrown from further away.
I also just want another Burst weapon.
Kraken seems like it'd be a very annoying combination with Tri and Burst and it would be but it's honestly not the best special that Tri could get. It takes away the main weapon for around 8 seconds and doesn't help it deal with longer ranged threats but I really just want it because it would be extremely fun. Tri already wants to play at a range that Kraken likes to be at and would enable it to be more ahead in where it positions.
Tri also likes to shark so there's potential in popping Kraken around spots that the enemy team wouldn't suspect, which is also good for giving your teammates a safe spot to jump while you're in Kraken form.

Kit_Bloblobber 2024_6_8 21_47_35 (1).jpg

I had a hard time choosing a 3rd kit I'd like for this weapon because there's honestly a lot you could give it but I don't want another Blob kit that encourages it to stay back and paint or another special like Kraken which can be aggressive but doesn't fit the main weapon.
I settled on Curling/Cooler to give it better mobility for positioning and a support special that isn't just about putting more paint on the map.
A lot of my opinion is influenced by my last few matches with Blob from last season, where instead of staying in one or two spots I kept constantly changing my position. I could play a bit more forward, bait someone into chasing me, and catch them once they realized I wasn't in that area anymore.
Taking different positions is obvious though, that's just something you need to do with all weapons but it's very easy for Blob to become a paint bot and it usually works too.
That's why I gave it Curling Bomb, so it can improve mobility and encourage players to move around more. I also wanted to give it a bomb for once and Curling checks off both boxes.
Cooler also affected my sub choice since I want Blob to be able to quickly get close enough to its team when it has Cooler.
Another Cooler option is also very important and I didn't want to give it to Explo for reasons I'll explain later but the cooldown on it guarantees that it won't have a special it can just easily paint and farm for.
As I'm typing this, I'm realizing that I just really want the main weapon to push more ahead and not stay back, paint, use special, and continue painting for the rest of the match. Blob could get Cooler, use Curling to quickly swim ahead, and try to get some kills without having to worry about dying since you'll immediately respawn.

I have no idea what could work best with S-Blast. Do you have anything in mind @youre_a_squib_now?

Grushi

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
bamboo... we can give it a curse of bad special kit it already got a perfect one
and being able to combo off the 70 damage with a single tap-shot would be pretty crazy imo
Ohhhh that's a great idea actually! (I mean as great as slider gets lol)
You'd probably get put in the worst bamboo positions imaginable but it sounds fun to go for tap shots!

Mili

Full Squid
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-6426-7546-0600
I don't think I can make kits that well, but I'll try...

- Splat Brella: Burst bomb + Inkstorm.
I put this one on my dreams kit and I still think it's cool and could work, also it's fine no brella has burst bomb or inkstorm and Splat Brella could use inkstorm again.

- Inkbrush: Torpedo + Chump.
ok, I believe this kit would be annoying as hell to fight but I think it's fine because I would be the one using it 👍. Inkbrush always benefits from poking, and torpedo is a sub I've seen work very well with a similar very short range weapons in dapple, and chump it's more of a paint refill that also paints the map, inkbrush has really short range paint actually, so the more distant paint really helps to compliment that, probably.

- Splatana Wiper: Fizzy bomb + Triple Splashdown.
If I'm being honest this might be a bit of a derivative kit, replacing torpedo with fizzy and hammer with triple splashdown, but I still think it's kinda cool right? fizzy is a sub that wants to paint and combo and I think wiper could use that extra damage, and triple splashdown allow you to if not get you out of situations at least try to take out one or two guys with you, I didn't think much beyond that sorry.

- REEF-LUX 450: Autobomb + Trizooka.
This kit exists in an ideal world where trizooka isn't a panic option and also the hitboxes are consistent and also they don't hit you behind walls unless it's aimed well otherwise you can give it kraken.
I just think a special that allows reeflux to continue battle would be cool, I want to see reeflux fight more, and don't really want to give it an utility sub nor a sub that would allow chip because this weapon would kill you so easily otherwise (I might be wrong on this I'm just thinking about it now ok).

- Splat Dualies: Give it burst and missiles again lol

That's all I have in the tank for now, it was a fun exercise to try and come up with stuff but I'll be real I'm not very good at this ahhahhah, maybe I'll get better ideas later on.

rosylina

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
She/They
Switch Friend Code
SW-8188-5007-1224
Putting more torpedo weapons into the game to ruin everyone's day

Torpedo would probably be the best sub weapon for Dynamo Roller outside of burst bomb, but that's as likely as pigs flying. It paints Dynamo's feet, something it would really like, the location is always a useful effect, and having a combo sub with a potential to do 60 damage would dramatically increase Dynamo's lethal range. Booyah Bomb is just an awesome and good special, not much to say about it. Totally a pipe dream, but a girl can have those, can't she?

Brush isn't really too picky with subs, though it would appreciate any help it could get with dealing with things at range. Also having to shoot down a torpedo while dealing with a brush going around all over the place and setting its sights on you sounds like it would be hella annoying... good thing I'm the brush player! Triple Splashdown wouldn't exactly be amazing for it, however rushing up behind a player or two and then immediately popping it sounds very funny.

isaac4

Inkling Commander

Torpedo would probably be the best sub weapon for Dynamo Roller outside of burst bomb, but that's as likely as pigs flying. It paints Dynamo's feet, something it would really like, the location is always a useful effect, and having a combo sub with a potential to do 60 damage would dramatically increase Dynamo's lethal range. Booyah Bomb is just an awesome and good special, not much to say about it. Totally a pipe dream, but a girl can have those, can't she?
That Dynamo kit looks sick.
If they do end up making 3rd kits I really hope Dynamo gets Booyah Bomb again.

Edit: I just noticed why it's called "Magical" Dynamo.

Last edited:

isaac4

Inkling Commander
Last two slosher 3rd kits. Might make two more for RB and S-Blast.

Kit_Dread_Wringer 2024_6_11 12_52_31.jpg

I keep having a hard time explaining why I like this kit.
I think this is one of those cases where the two previous kits feel so bad to use that I don't really care about what synergizes best with the main weapon or what type of playstyle the sub/special combination enable.
I just want something fun, and the kMachine kit looks like it'd be very fun.
I also want TSD on a slosher that isn't a backline, so I guess having more options is still playing a factor here.

Kit_Explosher 2024_6_8 21_54_13.jpg

I've talked about this Explo kit before but I have no problem with explaining again.
At least it'll be easier to talk about since my thoughts haven't changed on why I want this kit on Explo.
One of the biggest problems that Explo has as a main weapon is that it struggles against almost every special and it's very easily chased down by other weapons.
A big part of that is just because Explo is very slow, and that's not just talking about its swim speed but the time it takes to paint its feet as well.
Currently both Explo kits don't give it a sub that helps with that weakness, with Point Sensor only being able to mark players and Splash Wall only helping it hold down areas.
That's why Sprinkler would be really good for Explo, not just letting it quickly paint its feet but any walls that it would need to climb as well.
It drastically cuts down the time that it takes to move around when an area of the map isn't already painted by its team.
Sprinkler also has the more situational use as a small shield that can tank some shots from the enemy team. Normally I wouldn't say it's useful enough to even mention but those few seconds that Explo isn't getting shot could be the difference between getting killed or trading.
Last use I can mention for Sprinkler is that it'll be able to passively paint an area that Explo just doesn't have the time to paint with its main weapon.
Explo is good at painting but the slow fire rate and poor ink efficiency means that it doesn't want to spend a lot of time painting an area if it isn't also supporting with chip damage or contesting zone.
Zooka is also there to make up for another weakness, being able to deal with other specials.
It's an idea that the devs have done before with both Explo kits in Splatoon 2 and with cExplo in Splatoon 3 but I don't think it's been done very well in this game.
TSD can help Explo stay alive against players chasing it down but outside of that, it's not very good against specials when it's not right up close to them.
It's certainly better than only having Ink Storm but TSD isn't going to help Explo when it sees a Crab, Booyah Bomb, and Strikes user getting ready to target them from the other side of the map which is the range Explo is going to be most commonly playing at.
I'm not the best person to be talking about this kit though, I only played cExplo when it came out and haven't touched it since so maybe my mind could change but I have played the vanilla kit for a good amount of time.
Regardless, my choice for special is also influenced from wanting Zooka on a backline and Explo synergizes with Zooka better than other options such as E-Liter or Hydra.
It could take advantage of the special in a similar way that Machine Neo does, with one direct or two indirects comboing with the indirect damage from a single Zooka shot except Explo is much better at trapping enemy players and can also get 90 damage with a single slosh.
It'll also play at different positions where it can use Zooka more efficiently, with the other Zooka options being midline or frontline weapons.
Zooka also takes care of a lot of specials and other backlines that Explo struggles against while not taking away the main weapon for too long.

None of this is supposed to be realistic of course. This is just what I would like to have.
Wouldn't feel as fun fighting against though, lmao.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
As I've been playing a bit of Bamboo II lately, (would it be Bamtwo or Bamblue?) here's a third kit idea for the weapon.

Bamboozler 14:
I recently figured out why my performance with Bamboozler is so inconsistent, from zero splats one game to fourteen the next. Bamboo is awful into most backline weapons. This makes Splattercolor Screen a perfect compliment. Were this a kit prediction, I'd assume the weapon will get Toxic Mist or Angle Shooter as a sub. As this is a kit hope, I'm giving it Splash Wall. If Blasters can have three Splat Bombs, chargers can have three Splash Walls. The sub would help against both shorter- and longer-range threats, and cement the kit's identity as "death to backlines".

This is one of few weapons that this kit would not be unjustifiably annoying on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom