• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Are there any weapons you absolutely WON'T use at all?

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Generally i try out all weapons with turf war, whenever it's Bamboozler, H-3 or Rapid Blasters, i don't care that much about winning as much as just having fun. Still avoid the Aerospray RG whenever possible, that thing's just really boring to use.

In Ranked, i keep using the weapons that i'm actually good with.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Luna blaster. i just can't see myself using it. it just feels way too easy to use and way too many people are using. i'm not saying people shouldn't use it of course. if it works for you, then more power to you. but i was never a fan of using a weapon or character that's virtually used by everyone and their mom. i have the same mentality for smash too. tentatek was a weapon i used to use all the time, but after seeing the massive amounts of tentateks used in ranked, i decided to drop it and switch to a less common weapon with similar stats, namely the splash-o-matic (i tried the n-zap, but somehow i sucked with it more). heck even the dynamo, which i find to be a bit unfair, i'll probably try in the near future.

ChiePet

Pro Squid
NNID
ChiePet
Chargers: I can not Snipe. I can't aim well, disliked shooters heavily for years until Splatoon, and I've never been able to make them work for me. Aside from that, they play more of a support role than anything, so aiming counts, and it doesn't do great in a Turf War at getting P.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
I think your logic's a bit faulty if you believe any of those weapons are cheap or broken. They all have their strengths, and more importantly they all have their weaknesses. The Mini Splatlings for example have the same issue as all splatlings, namely the risk of getting caught without a charge and splatted, to name other issues.

If you don't like something, fine. But you sound like the type that looks down on people who use these things.
To me, a weapon that is cheap is one that is extremely easy to pick up and do well with, and has a ridiculous set to boot. Let's take the 96 Deco for one example, it has very long range, pretty decent accuracy, 2 shots to splat and an invincible sub/special combo. Pre the nerfs that Splash Walls, the Kraken and the 96 received, that weapon was crazy powerful. Splash Walls didn't have a huge delay to the ink refill time and had a ridiculous amount of health. It made the 96 Deco extremely powerful on Tower Control, and at the peak of Splash Wall weapon usage Tower became downright unbearable. "Want to push the Tower? Here's my Splash Wall! Finally destroyed the Wall? Have another wall!". It slowed the majority of Tower matches down to a snail's pace, and coupled with the Splash Damage of Blasters getting one-shot kills on Tower riders without a direct hit, Tower was a mess of a mode back then. On top of that, the 96 Deco got Kraken fairly easily back then so they could use Splash Walls and the Kraken to easily blitz through difficult choke points and get the lead to an unattainable point for the other team, especially since they'll use the Splash Wall = Stop Tower strat and then Kraken in Extra Time to take the Tower.

I'll agree that all weapons have weaknesses, but some can negate them by playing really campy or hiding round walls. That's my issue with some of the ingame weapons, it's a bit ridiculous for weapons to be pretty powerful with TTK and range with it's sub/special combo, then go ahead and negate the weaknesses it has with almost no detriment to team contribution. Another example is the pre-2.7.0 E-Litre, the devs designed the weapon to be a perch sniper, with the ability to push a little further forwards and keep the enemy team at bay. What happened instead was that everyone and their dog started stacking Damage Up, because they discovered it reduced the lethal charge and range. On top of that, if you did get close to an E-Litre, they spammed their Burst Bombs on the floor and got an indirect kill through splash damage. It completely negated the E-Litre's close range weakness, which caused the devs to go after the Burst Bombs and weaken the weapon that way, inadvertently lowering the viability of other weapons using Burst Bombs. With the Zimi, you see most of them right side peeking and staying at max range, and with it's extremely fast charge time, it doesn't have the same charge issue that the Hydra and Heavy suffer. A Heavy or Hydra Splatling would only end up in that situation if they were being too aggressive or weren't paying enough attention to their surroundings. Most Hydras I see spend their time on sniper perches, playing it like a sniper, and the Heavy is a sort of go between where it plays more like a regular weapon, but utilises the range like a sniper.

I do look down on people who use those weapons, but mainly because I'm sick and tired of seeing them and their samey strategies and playstyles. Almost every single weapon in the game has a version ignored because people favour the other one because it has an easier learning curve because of its sub and/or special (Splat Roller vs Krak-on Splat Roller, Splattershot vs Tentatek, Mini vs Zink, 52 vs 52 Deco, 96 vs 96 Deco, L3 vs L3 D etc). People are drawn towards those weapons that have the easiest learning curve, or has the get out of jail card (Kraken/Bubbler) so they can do well without really trying. It sort of takes out the freshness of the game, because facing the same weapon day in day out with the same strats, and the same cheap moves and not playing aggressively until their Bubbler is ready or something just isn't fun to go up against. I've seen too many Splattershot Jr.'s and other weapons that use Bubbler/Kraken stack the living daylights out of Special Charge and Special Saver to abuse their special and spam it out as much as possible before pushing forwards. I respect players for using lesser used weapons and preforming just as well (if not better) than those using the "top-tier" weapons. There's a reason I really hate tier lists, because people take them too seriously and use those weapons and end up like everyone else, where they refuse to touch weapons that are "low tier" and are therefore considered terrible. Sure there are some weapons that have ridiculously strong weaknesses (H3 Nozzlenose for example) which don't get used because they are way too hard to do anything with well, but overall there are weapons out there that do the job very well as the mainstream weapons, but have more weaknesses and require more effort to do well.

I use to main the Tentatek, gave the 96 Deco a whirl, and mained it for a while, then swapped back to the Tentatek, but now I won't go near them and the other weapons that are overused, since it just isn't fun to be like everyone else, using them for an easier ride and the like. It's far more enjoyable to see weapon diversity in a match than see 4 Tentateks, 2 Zimis, a Splat Charger or E-Litre and either a 52 or 96 Deco. I also find it immensely enjoyable and rewarding to bring out a weapon like the Splattershot, Neo Splash, Soda Slosher, Octobrush and the like and do well and get skilled with them, as it improves all you skills as a whole, as you have to adapt and think quickly with your weapon, and how to use the varying subs and specials to maximise efficiency with your weapon. I just don't like the sense of following the crowd because the weapon has no fatal flaws as such and can always consistently perform well with it.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
How is this different from any other online game? People find out what works "best" and run with it because many people lack imagination. I'd be happy to respect your opinion and the only reason I do not is because you're judging people for their playstyle. You do have good points, but "samey strategies" are inevitable.

dr1pilot

Inkling
NNID
dr1pilot
Switch Friend Code
SW-6286-8551-3513
I believe how good a weapon is relies on the player but if I had to pick any to hate on it's the nozzlenose. I'm yet to see anyone use it well.

Shard

Full Squid
NNID
DarkSuperSonic25
LUNA. BLASTERS. I have never and will never use a Luna. They're just far too easy to use and they're just so cheap.

AbsentPlayer

Full Squid
NNID
absentplayer
I'm one of those people who refuse to use the popular weapons. that means NO GAL WEAPONS, NO LUNA (luna x lag = XD), NO WASABI OR TENTATEK SPLATTERSHOTS (I really quite like the vanilla splattershot), NO ZINK MINI AND NO KRAK-ON ROLLERS!!!!! I do admit to using Dynamos and a lot of E-Litres buy that's completely different

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
I'm one of those people who refuse to use the popular weapons. that means NO GAL WEAPONS, NO LUNA (luna x lag = XD), NO WASABI OR TENTATEK SPLATTERSHOTS (I really quite like the vanilla splattershot), NO ZINK MINI AND NO KRAK-ON ROLLERS!!!!! I do admit to using Dynamos and a lot of E-Litres buy that's completely different
E-liter is completely overused, switch to splat scope if you want to keep your point alive. Krak-on has dropped significantly in usage, and none of the splatlings were ever popular.
With the Zimi, you see most of them right side peeking and staying at max range, and with it's extremely fast charge time, it doesn't have the same charge issue that the Hydra and Heavy suffer.
Git gud ya scrub. If you don't like someone for using a weapon the way it was designed, then I don't know what else to say. If you are playing in S+, then every weapon with decent range is going to RSP, and everyone with more range than you will stay at max range, it's called being strategic. Also, the zink mini is incredibly unused compared to what the tentatek, .52, .96 deco, e-liter, luna blasters and rollers used to be during their reign of the meta, and besides, the old inkzooka was far more OP than the bubbler and kraken are, and they have nerfed the kraken as well, so that isn't as OP as it used to be either.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
E-liter is completely overused, switch to splat scope if you want to keep your point alive. Krak-on has dropped significantly in usage, and none of the splatlings were ever popular.

Git gud ya scrub. If you don't like someone for using a weapon the way it was designed, then I don't know what else to say. If you are playing in S+, then every weapon with decent range is going to RSP, and everyone with more range than you will stay at max range, it's called being strategic. Also, the zink mini is incredibly unused compared to what the tentatek, .52, .96 deco, e-liter, luna blasters and rollers used to be during their reign of the meta, and besides, the old inkzooka was far more OP than the bubbler and kraken are, and they have nerfed the kraken as well, so that isn't as OP as it used to be either.
Sorry, don't agree with much of this, E-Litre was overused, but has dropped significantly since its nerf. Yes you still see it in most lobbies, but in all fairness there are only 2 chargers with decent range, those being the Splat Charger and E-Litre. "None of the Splatlings were ever popular" I have no idea where that came from tbh, the Custom Hydra is really popular, as was the Heavy Deco (still see a fair few) and the Zimi is overused. None of the Sloshers were ever popular, except the Vanilla which had a small period of popularity due to Burst-Cancelling. How many Tri-Sloshers, Sloshers or Sloshing Machines do you see in comparison to the aforementioned Splatlings? Not many from my experience.

Honestly don't know why most people say "git gud scrub". Do you guys do it for kicks or try to bait anger from people so they post angry comments? Stop saying it, this does nothing and isn't constructive in the slightest. If you haven't any advice for countering weapons and decide to make a generic "git gud" comment, don't post at all. You also can't compare the popularity usage of Tentatek, .52, Luna, Rollers, E-Litre and .96 to the Zimi. A lot of these weapons had way too much popularity for multiple reasons. One, we didn't have a huge choice of weapons back in the beginning. Two, Splash Walls were excessively strong before their nerf and the Krak-On was better because it had a 180p Kraken with little knockback and less weapons were around to counter it. Lunas were very powerful in Tower when Splash Damage could 1HKO and Damage Up made the splat radius even larger. Things have changed through more weapons, more maps, more modes, balance changes via patches among other things.

I don't know how you got the idea that pre-nerf Inkzooka was more OP than Bubbler/Kraken, sure you could get a shot off really fast for close range panic when the enemy get close but overall it relies on you being able to aim the thing. Kraken can just chase someone, press X and splat, or lurk in ink, Kraken then splat an unaware player. Getting 1 hit away from splatting someone only for them to Bubble/Kraken and get you is more unfair than pulling an Inkzooka and aiming a shot and getting it off fast enough to splat them and stay alive. Honestly the game gets silly when people exploit the weapon, and tbh, the devs don't make weapons and sets with the intention of a campy playstyle (Zimi, Carbon, Luna etc.). So then, if you're telling me to "git gud" against Zimi, how would you get them with the Soda Slosher, armed with 1 Splat Bomb, an Inkzooka (never going to hit them from around corners/behind walls) and a weapon that has a slower TTK and similar range? Bearing in mind that there are 3 other teammates trying to splat you as well. Moray Towers in Turf is a good example of where you can't "git gud" and win if they have a fantastic E-Litre and you don't have a charger. You can't get to mid because they snipe you and they are too far away for you to get them and can hide behind low walls so Inkzooka is useless.

Before you say things like "obviously you aren't good enough then" you should know I am S+ and know how to exploit my weapons, and when I should and shouldn't engage in combat. I know how weapons play out and their playstyles, even when I don't agree with them. At the end of the day, Zimi is a stupid weapon with next to no learning curve and only requires decent aim. You can't approach it in most circumstances unless you can get behind them and flank, but not all maps allow this. I don't use it because it is cheap and is unfair, and is most definitely overused.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Way too many.

:wst_charge_quick00::wst_charge_quick01::wst_roller_compact00::wst_roller_compact01::wst_roller_normal00::wst_roller_normal01::wst_roller_normalh::wst_shot_explight00::wst_shot_explight01::wst_shot_explong00::wst_shot_explong01::wst_shot_expmiddle00::wst_shot_precision00::wst_shot_precision01::wst_shot_quickmiddle00::wst_shot_quickmiddle01::wst_shot_short00::wst_shot_triplequick00::wst_shot_triplequick01: including all Mini Splatlings in this game.

Also these, although I did use them when I started the game:

:wst_shot_blaze00::wst_shot_blaze01::wst_shot_first00::wst_shot_first01::wst_roller_brushmini00::wst_roller_brushmini01::wst_shot_normal00::wst_shot_normal01::wst_shot_normalh: (I use the Octoshot though).

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
"Are there any weapons you absolutely WON'T use at all?"

No.

You're welcome.

AbsentPlayer

Full Squid
NNID
absentplayer
I would use the splatterscope if it had more range (2.7.0 did give it a buff but not enough fore me to use). I like to sit back and use my range to my advantage. I only started to use the E-Litre because of it's range. Right up until I got to B+ the only weapon types I used were chargers; I went from splat charger to splatterscope because I needed the extra range and splatterscope to E-Litre scope because I was still overestimating my range.

I agree, splatlings aren't used to often but the zinc mini, from what i've seen, is used quite a lot. I can't really see the appeal though.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
Sorry, don't agree with much of this, E-Litre was overused, but has dropped significantly since its nerf. Yes you still see it in most lobbies, but in all fairness there are only 2 chargers with decent range, those being the Splat Charger and E-Litre. "None of the Splatlings were ever popular" I have no idea where that came from tbh, the Custom Hydra is really popular, as was the Heavy Deco (still see a fair few) and the Zimi is overused. None of the Sloshers were ever popular, except the Vanilla which had a small period of popularity due to Burst-Cancelling. How many Tri-Sloshers, Sloshers or Sloshing Machines do you see in comparison to the aforementioned Splatlings? Not many from my experience.

Honestly don't know why most people say "git gud scrub". Do you guys do it for kicks or try to bait anger from people so they post angry comments? Stop saying it, this does nothing and isn't constructive in the slightest. If you haven't any advice for countering weapons and decide to make a generic "git gud" comment, don't post at all. You also can't compare the popularity usage of Tentatek, .52, Luna, Rollers, E-Litre and .96 to the Zimi. A lot of these weapons had way too much popularity for multiple reasons. One, we didn't have a huge choice of weapons back in the beginning. Two, Splash Walls were excessively strong before their nerf and the Krak-On was better because it had a 180p Kraken with little knockback and less weapons were around to counter it. Lunas were very powerful in Tower when Splash Damage could 1HKO and Damage Up made the splat radius even larger. Things have changed through more weapons, more maps, more modes, balance changes via patches among other things.

I don't know how you got the idea that pre-nerf Inkzooka was more OP than Bubbler/Kraken, sure you could get a shot off really fast for close range panic when the enemy get close but overall it relies on you being able to aim the thing. Kraken can just chase someone, press X and splat, or lurk in ink, Kraken then splat an unaware player. Getting 1 hit away from splatting someone only for them to Bubble/Kraken and get you is more unfair than pulling an Inkzooka and aiming a shot and getting it off fast enough to splat them and stay alive. Honestly the game gets silly when people exploit the weapon, and tbh, the devs don't make weapons and sets with the intention of a campy playstyle (Zimi, Carbon, Luna etc.). So then, if you're telling me to "git gud" against Zimi, how would you get them with the Soda Slosher, armed with 1 Splat Bomb, an Inkzooka (never going to hit them from around corners/behind walls) and a weapon that has a slower TTK and similar range? Bearing in mind that there are 3 other teammates trying to splat you as well. Moray Towers in Turf is a good example of where you can't "git gud" and win if they have a fantastic E-Litre and you don't have a charger. You can't get to mid because they snipe you and they are too far away for you to get them and can hide behind low walls so Inkzooka is useless.

Before you say things like "obviously you aren't good enough then" you should know I am S+ and know how to exploit my weapons, and when I should and shouldn't engage in combat. I know how weapons play out and their playstyles, even when I don't agree with them. At the end of the day, Zimi is a stupid weapon with next to no learning curve and only requires decent aim. You can't approach it in most circumstances unless you can get behind them and flank, but not all maps allow this. I don't use it because it is cheap and is unfair, and is most definitely overused.
The "git gud" was for sarcasm.

I didn't get the game at release and didn't actually use the inkzooka at all until it was nerfed, so I am just assuming it used to be as OP as it is in single player mode, where urchin underpass has not changed. That inkzooka can fire nearly 2 shots a second with no start lag and it shoots farther than an e-liter, so yes, it did used to be OP. You didn't say anything about bubbler though, which requires you to aim as well, and you can usually only get 1 person with a panic kraken, unless the entire team is after you.

I have seen more splatlings now, but I still don't think they are POPULAR, unless you count all of them together. The reason I say this is because you still see a tentatek or a .52 gal every match, but you might see a single splatling a match or less often. Now, if you don't like people exploiting a weapon, then don't play the game. Your example of people "right side peeking and staying at max range" is how people play the game and succeed when they have to compete with other good players. If somebody has more range than you, then they will make sure you can't hit them while they can hit you. If you don't like that, well, chargers exist. We will never see more splatlings than chargers, and that is a fact, just because chargers have more range and charge faster at the same time. Also, I can compare the old luna to the zink mini, do you know why? Because it was an update weapon, and it was very overused when people learned how to use it. Also, why does nobody use the vanilla mini? IT HAS THE EXACT SAME KIT AS THE TENTATEK AND EVERYTHING YOU SAID ABOUT THE ZINK MINI (minus bubbler) AND NOBODY USES IT, BUT YOU STILL SEE LOTS OF TENTATEKS! I really love the mini, but nobody uses it.

Aside from maybe one or two battles a day for the past several weeks, I have not been able to play very much lately, though I am getting more time now. This means I don't know the current OU weapons, but I still see many tentateks when I play, no matter what mode it is. My point is, I do not see how you can say the zink mini is overpowered, which is what you are implying, but I still think it is not as bad as what you think it is.

To me, a weapon that is cheap is one that is extremely easy to pick up and do well with, and has a ridiculous set to boot. Let's take the 96 Deco for one example, it has very long range, pretty decent accuracy, 2 shots to splat and an invincible sub/special combo. Pre the nerfs that Splash Walls, the Kraken and the 96 received, that weapon was crazy powerful. Splash Walls didn't have a huge delay to the ink refill time and had a ridiculous amount of health. It made the 96 Deco extremely powerful on Tower Control, and at the peak of Splash Wall weapon usage Tower became downright unbearable. "Want to push the Tower? Here's my Splash Wall! Finally destroyed the Wall? Have another wall!". It slowed the majority of Tower matches down to a snail's pace, and coupled with the Splash Damage of Blasters getting one-shot kills on Tower riders without a direct hit, Tower was a mess of a mode back then. On top of that, the 96 Deco got Kraken fairly easily back then so they could use Splash Walls and the Kraken to easily blitz through difficult choke points and get the lead to an unattainable point for the other team, especially since they'll use the Splash Wall = Stop Tower strat and then Kraken in Extra Time to take the Tower.
This is not a valid argument because every lobby had at least 2 or 3 at its peak of popularity, and the tentatek used to be even more popular, for no reason. That is something that you cannot fight because the tentatek used to be the most overused weapon in the game, and nothing will ever come close to that level of popularity.

p.s. don't fight me in a comment war, I always win them. ;) I know I've won when they are too irritated and don't respond anymore.

maxie

Full Squid
Zimi is a stupid weapon with next to no learning curve and only requires decent aim.
i dont know how the entire argument you have going on started but thats.....completely untrue. if you can use zimi, good for you, but i know for a fact me + mant other people just are unable to use it with out a lottttt of practice. if youre mad about its kit then well, my fave weapon is vanilla tri slosher so idk what to tell you there exactly, but otherwise you just seem annoyed that.....people like the weapon and play it well?

but anyway

carbon rollers, bamboozlers, rapid blasters and custom range blasters i just cannot make sense of at all, despite trying a lot. sploosh might soon be added to the list since ive been trying to learn it for a while but im horrible at it so far. i have respect for people who are good at those weapons honestly

Pterk

Full Squid
NNID
YoloEric12
Is that guy using a Splattershot Jr?

As for the rest of the thread, I've tried every type of weapon and I know I'll never be good with an E-Liter or a Nozzlenose. I'm not great with all other weapon classes but I can see potential for mastery of them that I don't see in those two.
I love nozzle noses :) I go like at least 10 and 4 every game with em :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom