• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Are there any weapons you absolutely WON'T use at all?

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I can't use and probably wont try to use the Nozzlenoses too much.
I can use pretty much everything else if it comes down to it.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
I dislike blasters because I have terrible aim and these require really good aim, although I do sometimes use chargers since I can atleast get people standing still who don't notice be
I dislike aerosprays since it's very difficult to fight with them, you need to get right next to the enemy, and you don't do much damage, they ink well but you can't defend yourself.
Despite the octobrush being my favorite weapon, I don't use the normal inkbrushes, since they, just like the aerosprays, don't have a very good range.

Yellowkirbyguy

Senior Squid
Absolutely Wont Use: Aerospray RG and the Splash O Matic's Never even touched the RG and i don't plan to ever because the Ink Brush/Noveau exists and disliked the Splash's when i did use them. I don't know, I feel like the regular Splattershots basically do what the Splash does just the Splash's can handle Inking better.

Absolutely can't use: Bamboozlers. Tried. Failed many times, i need to give these things more of a chance though. But As someone who doesn't use the Gyro for aiming, Using it may as well be impossible, but still, i like to try. I also can't seem to use E-litres, I just don't know what method of aiming i should implement because while i may not often get splatted with one (Granted i'm not going full runspeed Trololol sniper mode) I can never get much more than 2-4 splats with the main weapon. And i don't even know if the splats even mattered in the match.

StaffofSmashing

Senior Squid
NNID
Lolu83
If something can be replaced in function by something else, I'm not using it unless I feel like memeing.

Brie_no.20

Senior Squid
NNID
belle-noire20
Rollers. I won't use them in any online matches. I'm still a beginner at this game, and the Rollers just look like a way to get easy/ cheap kills.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Rollers. I won't use them in any online matches. I'm still a beginner at this game, and the Rollers just look like a way to get easy/ cheap kills.
They work out like that in low-level lobbies, undeniably, but they become much harder to use effectively once everyone knows what they're doing, due to their lack of range; arguably, their 'cheapness' fades away fairly soon. So don't write them off entirely!

Brie_no.20

Senior Squid
NNID
belle-noire20
They work out like that in low-level lobbies, undeniably, but they become much harder to use effectively once everyone knows what they're doing, due to their lack of range; arguably, their 'cheapness' fades away fairly soon. So don't write them off entirely!
For sure. I just don't want to be the kind of player who resorts to using a seemingly OP weapon whenever I get frustrated over my performance, because I don't want a bad habit to make me a cheap player.

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
There's a lot more salt in this thread than I expected haha. I love it! Even if a weapon were OP, all the weapons in this game take a lot of skill to play well with at higher levels. I totally get why a new player would think rollers are OP though. "OMG this is such BS, they don't even have to aim for a one-hit kill?!!?!" They also benefit from lag more than pretty much every weapon in the game, except Luna Blasters (maybe). But there's no honor in not using a weapon you perceive to be very strong. I see people get flack for "tier-whoring" a lot in the Smash community as well. Just play whatever makes you happy.

The only weapons I'll never EVER use are weapons I perceive to be pointless. This can be really bad weapons, or just weapons with an alt. version that's 100% better. The Carbon Roller Deco and .52 Deco, for example, are both decent weapons because of how powerful they are as primary weapons. But they each have terrible kits that are totally outclassed by their counterparts. I have a lot more fun using the stronger variants because they give me more options and I can figure out more ways to strategically apply their assets. Then there are weapons that are just bad. The Inkbrush Nouveau, H-3s other than the Cherry, the Custom Jr., etc. Not to say you can't have fun with them, but I don't enjoy being so limited by my weapon.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
The Carbon Roller Deco and .52 Deco, for example, are both decent weapons because of how powerful they are as primary weapons. But they each have terrible kits that are totally outclassed by their counterparts.
In most cases, sure... but I don't think that it's possible to completely rule them out. For some individual stages, alternate sets can really shine - my usual example of that is the Tri Nouveau, which is pretty clearly inferior to the standard Disrubbler set in most cases, but works wonders on Rainmaker stages with long corridors (Triggerfish, Arowana and Mackerel are the usual targets; the third is especially good, also synergising well with the Echolocator). So I use the standard Tri perhaps 15~20 times more frequently than the Nouveau, but eagerly take up the latter when the rotation's really good.

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
In most cases, sure... but I don't think that it's possible to completely rule them out. For some individual stages, alternate sets can really shine - my usual example of that is the Tri Nouveau, which is pretty clearly inferior to the standard Disrubbler set in most cases, but works wonders on Rainmaker stages with long corridors (Triggerfish, Arowana and Mackerel are the usual targets; the third is especially good, also synergising well with the Echolocator). So I use the standard Tri perhaps 15~20 times more frequently than the Nouveau, but eagerly take up the latter when the rotation's really good.
You're not wrong. There are many weapons that are generally the weakest of their class but on certain map/modes become a more desirable choice. The Tempered Dynamo is generally the weakest Dynamo, but it is probably the best for Port Mackeral (Although Dynamos are still generally bad on Port imo haha). But with the Carbon Roller Deco and .52 deco, there really is no reason to use them over the mains. Seekers are terrible subs and Seeker Rush is the weakest special in the game. Sure it sort of locks down an area for a bit but Inkzooka is way more effective in all the same scenarios. Burst Bombs to deal with ranged foes, ink walls and Burst Cancel kill with are so, SO much better than Seekers. Then with the .52 Deco, you again are stuck with Seekers. Splash Walls open up so many strategic opportunities and can be downright oppressive against certain weapons. Inkstrike isn't totally useless, being decent in Turf War and Splat Zones, but Killer Wail is very effective in all modes and can completely shut an avenue down, or keep the enemy pinned when respawning, etc. Splash Walls/Killer Wail might not offer DIRECT inking advantage the way Inkstrike does, but with their applications towards area control and the plays you can make with them you can generate more opportunities to ink, or for your teammates to ink, to hold objective, etc. It's just a kit that works better in every scenario, because of the options it gives you.

Then you have stuff like the Inkbrush Nouveau, which are straight-up bad. The Inkbrush is a pretty flimsy main weapon, Ink Mines are the worst sub in the game and Bubbler is useless when literally every weapon in the game can bounce you out of your attack range with ease. The standard Inkbrush offers nearly unparalleled turf coverage, but it concedes a lot of ground too because it can't fight and struggles to deal with pressure (Or apply any of it). So the Permanent Inkbrush, with its ability to handle ranged opponents with bombs, as well as use them for positioning and pressure and Kraken to make/stop pushes, performs better in pretty much every situation you'd use another Inkbrush. And I say this as someone who used the default Inkbrush from the time I started playing the game to about halfway through my stint in A+.

I say all this, but I certainly wouldn't want to discourage someone from using a "bad" weapon if they enjoy it. That's their prerogative. This turned into a strangely loquacious rant haha. I guess my point is that there are bad kits in this game, and I don't enjoy playing weapons that impose limitations on me like that. I like weapons that give me options. Not necessarily just top-tier weapons, though. I love the Splash-o-Matic for example but I honestly can't think of a situation where it's actually the best choice out of my stable for a map hahaha. Bluefin Depot SZ, maaaaaybe.

Brie_no.20

Senior Squid
NNID
belle-noire20
But there's no honor in not using a weapon you perceive to be very strong.
...Actually, there can be. There's a reason why the saying "If you can't beat them, join them," exists.

The Roller has advantages that I haven't learned to get past yet. But my point was that I won't cop out and use one just to get a win. THAT is what would be cheap for me.

SuperLuigi231

Senior Squid
NNID
Angry_Bird_231
Well, I just want to say I love all the discussions on this thread!

I would have to say Nozzlenoses, Bamboozlers, Splattershot Jr., and the Sploosh-o-matics.

In the cases of Nozzlenoses and Bamboozlers... I want to be able to use them. I really do. But they require excellent, almost perfect accuracy to stay in the game. I just can't meet that standard.

Splattershot Jr. and Sploosh-o-matics... They are kinda the flip side of the first two. They have absolutely no accuracy, forcing you to get in pretty close to splat an opponent. Their range isn't doing any favors either.

There are also a couple weapons that I just haven't really played with (Sloshing Machine Neo, vanilla/custom Hydra, .96 gal + deco) because... I don't know. They just feel weird to me. I try to be an all-around player, and I consider myself at least decent with most other weapons.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
...Actually, there can be. There's a reason why the saying "If you can't beat them, join them," exists.
I think that you misread NeoSeth's post - he said there was no honour in not 'joining them', as it were.

Scones

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shcones
The weapons I don't play are Eliters, Dynamos, Hydras, Gals, squiffers, and blasters in general. I love being fast in this game and I just get bored with how slow eliters, dynamos, and hydras are. Gals are also a bit too slow for my tastes. Of course I acknowledge how strong all of these weapons are they just aren't as fun to me as other weapons. Blasters just aren't my thing. The fire rate is frustratingly slow. I actually like the rapid blaster but that's about it. I have nothing wrong with squiffers but I won't use them because I use a Bamboozler instead. Boozlers are way too fun, and they have both longer range and better ttk than a squiffer. Though a squiffer corner peaks much better. Of course it requires weeks/months of practice before you feel barely competent with a boozler but man they have the potential to be killing machines. I also havn't picked up a splat roller since I learned the octobrush.

Brie_no.20

Senior Squid
NNID
belle-noire20
I think that you misread NeoSeth's post - he said there was no honour in not 'joining them', as it were.
I didn't misread him. And you understood what I was trying to say.
I said that there can be honor in not adopting the "if you can't beat them, join them" mentality.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I didn't misread him. And you understood what I was trying to say.
I said that there can be honor in not adopting the "if you can't beat them, join them" mentality.
Ohh... are you invoking the 'if you can't beat them' part - in the sense that it's fine to use weapons as long as you can win with them? Yeah, I think I missed the point there.

Brie_no.20

Senior Squid
NNID
belle-noire20
Ohh... are you invoking the 'if you can't beat them' part - in the sense that it's fine to use weapons as long as you can win with them? Yeah, I think I missed the point there.
Yeah. Sorry if I couldn't express that clearly...been getting my *** kicked by Rollers...again. ;-p

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
Well what I meant (Just in case it wasn't clear) is that you don't gain a moral high ground by choosing not to switch weapons haha. It's not like it's dishonorable or anything to switch. I'm just saying it's not like switching to a weapon you perceive is better makes you a sellout. Unless you're Hax$.

It's not like I'm trying to convince you to play a Roller. I just wouldn't want you to go around hating on people who DO use rollers. Not using a roller as a newbie will get you developing your aim and movement a lot faster than if you do use a roller, so I actually kinda support the dedication to not switching!

Brie_no.20

Senior Squid
NNID
belle-noire20
@NeoSeth @Cuttleshock

I think you guys are putting too much into what I said. Speaking for myself, it's not at all about having a moral high ground, but about setting certain goals for yourself as a player. Me not choosing to use a Roller because I have a hard time facing them, doesn't mean that I actively hate on those who do use them. I'm simply saying that I'd rather work to find a way around the advantages that the Roller has with my weapon of choice, rather than throwing my hands up and saying: "Let me pick up the Roller since I always get splatted by them".

I don't speak for anyone else, but I know that if I am able to getting around a certain weapon despite the advantages it has over mine, or if I'm able to out-maneuver a player with a weapon I have difficulty facing, then those little victories are all the more sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom