• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Are there any weapons you absolutely WON'T use at all?

Cyan

Inkling Commander
i dont know how the entire argument you have going on started but thats.....completely untrue. if you can use zimi, good for you, but i know for a fact me + mant other people just are unable to use it with out a lottttt of practice. if youre mad about its kit then well, my fave weapon is vanilla tri slosher so idk what to tell you there exactly, but otherwise you just seem annoyed that.....people like the weapon and play it well?

but anyway

carbon rollers, bamboozlers, rapid blasters and custom range blasters i just cannot make sense of at all, despite trying a lot. sploosh might soon be added to the list since ive been trying to learn it for a while but im horrible at it so far. i have respect for people who are good at those weapons honestly
Well I didn't exactly start the argument, but of course there are people who can't get on with Splatlings, and that's fine, it's just most people can use it very well. I'm not mad at the kit, I'm more annoyed at the weapon AND the kit. I can use the Tri-Slosher and not feel like a scumbag, because the kit allows the weapon to get close where its range is not all that great. It's a frustrating weapon because it's range is great, it's turfing is great, it's strafe is great and it got what is one of the most powerful sets in the game. That's where my complaint comes in, because it makes a weapon that's decent become overused and annoying to play against. The Tri-Slosher can 2HKO, but its range is poor which is where the Disruptor comes in as it allows the Tri-Slosher to approach more easily and the Bubbler is meant to be on short ranged weapons, and the only longer ranged weapons that I'm okay with it having are Classic Squiffer and Custom Hydra (a weapon that is very vulnerable when charging up a shot). This weapon is annoying because it is very difficult to approach with most weapons and when you do outplay them and get 1 hit from splatting them, they Bubble, throw a disruptor and splat you instead. Yes that's how you play those specials, but it's not fair to get splatted when you outplayed them and they were about to get splatted for their mistake.

The "git gud" was for sarcasm.

I didn't get the game at release and didn't actually use the inkzooka at all until it was nerfed, so I am just assuming it used to be as OP as it is in single player mode, where urchin underpass has not changed. That inkzooka can fire nearly 2 shots a second with no start lag and it shoots farther than an e-liter, so yes, it did used to be OP. You didn't say anything about bubbler though, which requires you to aim as well, and you can usually only get 1 person with a panic kraken, unless the entire team is after you.

I have seen more splatlings now, but I still don't think they are POPULAR, unless you count all of them together. The reason I say this is because you still see a tentatek or a .52 gal every match, but you might see a single splatling a match or less often. Now, if you don't like people exploiting a weapon, then don't play the game. Your example of people "right side peeking and staying at max range" is how people play the game and succeed when they have to compete with other good players. If somebody has more range than you, then they will make sure you can't hit them while they can hit you. If you don't like that, well, chargers exist. We will never see more splatlings than chargers, and that is a fact, just because chargers have more range and charge faster at the same time. Also, I can compare the old luna to the zink mini, do you know why? Because it was an update weapon, and it was very overused when people learned how to use it. Also, why does nobody use the vanilla mini? IT HAS THE EXACT SAME KIT AS THE TENTATEK AND EVERYTHING YOU SAID ABOUT THE ZINK MINI (minus bubbler) AND NOBODY USES IT, BUT YOU STILL SEE LOTS OF TENTATEKS! I really love the mini, but nobody uses it.

Aside from maybe one or two battles a day for the past several weeks, I have not been able to play very much lately, though I am getting more time now. This means I don't know the current OU weapons, but I still see many tentateks when I play, no matter what mode it is. My point is, I do not see how you can say the zink mini is overpowered, which is what you are implying, but I still think it is not as bad as what you think it is.

This is not a valid argument because every lobby had at least 2 or 3 at its peak of popularity, and the tentatek used to be even more popular, for no reason. That is something that you cannot fight because the tentatek used to be the most overused weapon in the game, and nothing will ever come close to that level of popularity.

p.s. don't fight me in a comment war, I always win them. ;) I know I've won when they are too irritated and don't respond anymore.
The Inkzooka in Single Player has never been the same as the one in Multiplayer, and never will be. The Multiplayer (online) Inkzooka has always been a 6 shot special, you get 6 shots and it ends. Nothing more, nothing less. The only nerf the actual use of the Inkzooka was that there was delay added to the start up of the Inkzooka, meaning you could no longer activate it and get a shot off almost instantly. Other than that, there is still the same amount of delay between the shots, and still 6 shots with no Special Duration Up in use. It has not and never will be an OP special, if you get a quad with an Inkzooka, you earned it by aiming at them and getting accurate shots off. The Bubbler on the other hand can be used to protect when you got outplayed and were 1 shot from being splatted (as mentioned earlier), then you splat them without the skill they used to sneak up on you and get all but that last hit on you. Same for Kraken, whilst that is the way the special is meant to be used and is used, it still doesn't make it fair, if you screwed up and the other player outplayed you, you shouldn't get the "Bubbler/Kraken and splat them" card, because you weren't good enough and shouldn't have cheated them out of their hard earned ambush or flank.

You want to know why the Tenatek and .52 Gal are "overused"? It's because they are generally good all around and have no real weaknesses, which is why they'll always be "meta" weapons. The Splatlings are still more common than you state, and that may be because you aren't playing as often, and timezones also have an impact on the players you encounter and the weapons they decide to use. I generally see a Splatling every match, and are almost always the Zimi, Heavy Deco or Custom Hydra. The Zimi is that bad, and the devs are clearly aware of it's overuse and problems in matches, hence why it's going up to Heavy Special Depletion from Medium in 2.8.0 next week. Your statement about the vanilla Mini? It's not used because the Tentatek has the same set and does it much better. In fact, you can apply that logic to a lot of weapons. Where's the Tri-Slosher? Nowhere because Zimi does the set better. Soda Slosher does the Octobrush Nouveau's set better as well, just like the Krak-On does the set better than the Octobrush. Every single weapon you find that shares a set with another weapon won't be used in favour of the weapon that does the "main" better with the sub and special.

I won't stop playing the game because people exploit the game with their weapons. To be honest, this better not be another one of your "sarcasm" comments, because the git gud was never written in or given special font properties to imply sarcasm, and once again is a non-constructive comment. Sure, you don't think the Zimi is as bad as I do, and I can respect your opinion, but don't bash mine for the sake of it when I can back up and justify my opinions on weapons and why I don't particularly like them unless you do it in a way that shows why you don't agree, rather than trying to be "funny" and "sarcastic" with the response. I have no intention of having a "comment war", because those derail off topic very fast and aren't fair to the community, the person who started the thread and are just obnoxious and annoying because one person wants to be the "winner" because they have to have the last word, then turn it into a victory because the other person is more mature and has a better sense of when they've said enough and won't respond because it's a detriment to the thread and forum. There are flaws with a lot of weapons in the game, and some of the maps and the modes, but we just have to learn how to deal with them. They'll still be frustrating to play against and see, but we have to learn how to play against them. This thread is about what weapons you won't use and why, and I have given my reasons and justified them. The fact you've picked faults in my opinions twice now shows the lack of relevance to the thread, you could have said in your 2nd post that you don't necessarily agree, but you respect my opinion and stance on it. Also that bit you quoted from my older post with the .96 Deco, this was happening for a very long time on Tower after that weapon launched, yet you said it's not valid because "every lobby had 2-3 at the peak of its popularity". That wasn't my point, my point was that between the .52 Gal, .96 Gal Deco, pre-nerf Luna and pre-nerf Splash Walls Tower was terrible. I also stand by my comment on those weapons being over popular and the biggest issues with Tower, generally now they are less irritating and easier to deal with, but still I won't use them because they are easy use weapons and personally the .96 Gal Deco and .52 Gal shouldn't have those sets with the power of the main weapon. I doubt I'll reply again, not so you'll "win", but because you probably won't acknowledge my points without turning it into a "comments war" and completely derailing the thread, and I won't make this thread go off topic and ruin it for everyone else.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
Well I didn't exactly start the argument, but of course there are people who can't get on with Splatlings, and that's fine, it's just most people can use it very well. I'm not mad at the kit, I'm more annoyed at the weapon AND the kit. I can use the Tri-Slosher and not feel like a scumbag, because the kit allows the weapon to get close where its range is not all that great. It's a frustrating weapon because it's range is great, it's turfing is great, it's strafe is great and it got what is one of the most powerful sets in the game. That's where my complaint comes in, because it makes a weapon that's decent become overused and annoying to play against. The Tri-Slosher can 2HKO, but its range is poor which is where the Disruptor comes in as it allows the Tri-Slosher to approach more easily and the Bubbler is meant to be on short ranged weapons, and the only longer ranged weapons that I'm okay with it having are Classic Squiffer and Custom Hydra (a weapon that is very vulnerable when charging up a shot). This weapon is annoying because it is very difficult to approach with most weapons and when you do outplay them and get 1 hit from splatting them, they Bubble, throw a disruptor and splat you instead. Yes that's how you play those specials, but it's not fair to get splatted when you outplayed them and they were about to get splatted for their mistake.

The Inkzooka in Single Player has never been the same as the one in Multiplayer, and never will be. The Multiplayer (online) Inkzooka has always been a 6 shot special, you get 6 shots and it ends. Nothing more, nothing less. The only nerf the actual use of the Inkzooka was that there was delay added to the start up of the Inkzooka, meaning you could no longer activate it and get a shot off almost instantly. Other than that, there is still the same amount of delay between the shots, and still 6 shots with no Special Duration Up in use. It has not and never will be an OP special, if you get a quad with an Inkzooka, you earned it by aiming at them and getting accurate shots off. The Bubbler on the other hand can be used to protect when you got outplayed and were 1 shot from being splatted (as mentioned earlier), then you splat them without the skill they used to sneak up on you and get all but that last hit on you. Same for Kraken, whilst that is the way the special is meant to be used and is used, it still doesn't make it fair, if you screwed up and the other player outplayed you, you shouldn't get the "Bubbler/Kraken and splat them" card, because you weren't good enough and shouldn't have cheated them out of their hard earned ambush or flank.

You want to know why the Tenatek and .52 Gal are "overused"? It's because they are generally good all around and have no real weaknesses, which is why they'll always be "meta" weapons. The Splatlings are still more common than you state, and that may be because you aren't playing as often, and timezones also have an impact on the players you encounter and the weapons they decide to use. I generally see a Splatling every match, and are almost always the Zimi, Heavy Deco or Custom Hydra. The Zimi is that bad, and the devs are clearly aware of it's overuse and problems in matches, hence why it's going up to Heavy Special Depletion from Medium in 2.8.0 next week. Your statement about the vanilla Mini? It's not used because the Tentatek has the same set and does it much better. In fact, you can apply that logic to a lot of weapons. Where's the Tri-Slosher? Nowhere because Zimi does the set better. Soda Slosher does the Octobrush Nouveau's set better as well, just like the Krak-On does the set better than the Octobrush. Every single weapon you find that shares a set with another weapon won't be used in favour of the weapon that does the "main" better with the sub and special.

I won't stop playing the game because people exploit the game with their weapons. To be honest, this better not be another one of your "sarcasm" comments, because the git gud was never written in or given special font properties to imply sarcasm, and once again is a non-constructive comment. Sure, you don't think the Zimi is as bad as I do, and I can respect your opinion, but don't bash mine for the sake of it when I can back up and justify my opinions on weapons and why I don't particularly like them unless you do it in a way that shows why you don't agree, rather than trying to be "funny" and "sarcastic" with the response. I have no intention of having a "comment war", because those derail off topic very fast and aren't fair to the community, the person who started the thread and are just obnoxious and annoying because one person wants to be the "winner" because they have to have the last word, then turn it into a victory because the other person is more mature and has a better sense of when they've said enough and won't respond because it's a detriment to the thread and forum. There are flaws with a lot of weapons in the game, and some of the maps and the modes, but we just have to learn how to deal with them. They'll still be frustrating to play against and see, but we have to learn how to play against them. This thread is about what weapons you won't use and why, and I have given my reasons and justified them. The fact you've picked faults in my opinions twice now shows the lack of relevance to the thread, you could have said in your 2nd post that you don't necessarily agree, but you respect my opinion and stance on it. Also that bit you quoted from my older post with the .96 Deco, this was happening for a very long time on Tower after that weapon launched, yet you said it's not valid because "every lobby had 2-3 at the peak of its popularity". That wasn't my point, my point was that between the .52 Gal, .96 Gal Deco, pre-nerf Luna and pre-nerf Splash Walls Tower was terrible. I also stand by my comment on those weapons being over popular and the biggest issues with Tower, generally now they are less irritating and easier to deal with, but still I won't use them because they are easy use weapons and personally the .96 Gal Deco and .52 Gal shouldn't have those sets with the power of the main weapon. I doubt I'll reply again, not so you'll "win", but because you probably won't acknowledge my points without turning it into a "comments war" and completely derailing the thread, and I won't make this thread go off topic and ruin it for everyone else.
I'm not even going to get into your hypocrisy here, but you were actually the one to start the argument, acting like the "cool hipster." You look down on people using weapons they can use well just because they are "overpowered" or "overused" which I completely understand, but don't say that you actually look down on them. That is the mark of somebody that thinks they are better than everybody else.

This comes down to the pokemon meta argument for Splatoon. I counted 78 weapons and pokemon has over 700 pokemon with over 30 having special forms, and yet only a little more than 50 are used in the main level of competitive play. Sure you can try to use your favorite pokemon but some have been banned (nerfs in Splatoon) and others are just too bad at their role to compete. And don't forget, this is a game where you have complete control over your entire team with options for the 6 pokemon, each one's item, ability, each pokemon's 6 stats AND the 4 moves of each pokemon. Take this all in, and remember that only 0.7% of all pokemon are used in the main tier. If a weapon is "cheap" then people will use it because they can use it well. There are people here that can use the H-3 better than most people can use the "cheap" gal weapons. You are an S+ as you said, so you will see people that play the best out of everybody, it just so happens that some people prefer to use those weapons.

I could go on more, but I think I've proved the point I was trying to make and this entire thread proves it even further. People use what is easy for them to use and they don't use what is hard to use, hence all of the sploosh, bamboozler and other extreme weapon posts. Besides, people don't really like splatlings, they have to push the button down more than once to fire! :scared: I bring this up because the nozzlenoses are some of the best weapons in the game, but nobody uses them. They shoot as fast as an ærospray with good range and great accuracy, plus kraken on one and disruptors on the other. Not to mention burst bombs to help the 4 hit kill and killer wail for amazing zoning capabilities. (was that good enough sarcasm for you?)

And finally, I don't hate you or your opinions, I just hate they way you stated them. "I do look down on people who use those weapons" it doesn't matter what context this is, it just isn't something you say, ever. Besides, I didn't start the "comment war" and the thread is already dead. No matter what it is, you will always find repetition of strategy at a high level, no matter what it is. Why? Because people take the easy way out, and that is why it is so rewarding to be the one that kills a squidbagger and then doesn't squidbag, because you are doing the right thing, and that's why you don't vote for Donald Trump, so America doesn't start WW3, and that's why I love sarcasm so much, because you can use memes to troll everybody while still not being a complete jerk. Why do I say this? I don't know, but be a good person. Treat others the way you want to be treated, and that is exactly how you treated everybody else, not at the beginning, but you got worse as time went on. You can stop and I can stop and we can all stop being jerks so that life can be better, not just on message boards or in games, but in real life. I tend to go on and on about things like this, so I might stop eventually, but please be respectful of others' opinions, and that is what the whole "I won't use it because everybody else does" argument is. Disrespectful. I'm sorry for dragging this out for so long, but nobody probably read the whole thing to be honest.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
@MeTaGross , after reading your responses in this thread, your approval (likes) fills me with shame.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
When it comes to Turf War, I'm open to use any weapon. Sometimes I just get bored with my mains and decide to go experiment with new weapons - which is something Turf War is perfect for. However, when it comes to Ranked... I'm often sticking with the weapons I know. I would never use a Bamboozler or Nozzlenose during Ranked. I just can't get the handle of them. The last time I tried to use an L-3 D in Ranked.... I went 0/10. The S+ squad lobbies can be really brutal when you have no idea what you're doing with a weapon haha. :P

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Same for Kraken, whilst that is the way the special is meant to be used and is used, it still doesn't make it fair, if you screwed up and the other player outplayed you, you shouldn't get the "Bubbler/Kraken and splat them" card, because you weren't good enough and shouldn't have cheated them out of their hard earned ambush or flank.
I counter that by saying that you shouldn't get a free kill because you ran behind someone and failed to notice by the shining hair they had a special ready.
It'd be very naive to approach an E-Liter/Hydra with shining hair and not expect it to go invincible on you. You don't get a free kill by running behind somebody, i know it can get infuriating especially with lag involved but you have to get used to it. At the very least if you survive the encounter they'd waste a special for nothing.

Sea_coffin

Inkling
NNID
gcam600
Carbon roller, splattershot , regular blaster, luna blaster, gold dynamo, l3 nozzlenose, any sploosh, and H3 nozzlenose d (still love it's other variants tho). These are some of the weapons that I won't use.

Lance17

Inkling
I just can use brushes. My finger gets tired after a game of turf wars and I am just not good at splatting people with it.:(

Maave

Inkling Commander
Same with the brushes. My wrists are screwed from using the computer to much in bad wrist conditions. I can't spam the brush all game because it'll kill my hands.

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
obviously the nozzle nose, any sniper rifle type charger (the chain guns are useable, especially bluefin turf wars/zones with a custom hydra can win that on his own as lone as his team mates keep him from getting killed)

I love sloshers but I dont like the sloshing machine.

these days I use a plethora of stuff but the vast majority of the time it's just me and my regular old slosher in zones, luna blaster or custom dual squelcher in TC, range blaster or tri slosher in rm

There are versions of weapons I virtually never use, I go for the old school luna blaster and custom dual squelcher over their counterparts by a vey wide margin

FirestormNeos

Senior Squid
NNID
FirestormNeos
Blasters and Nozzlenoses. They just don't work with my playstyle tbh.

Recently, I've pretty much dropped Splatlings, Chargers, Rollers, and Brushes. Splatlings feel too clunky, Chargers don't cover enough ground for me, and I can't splat enemies consistently with brushes. idk why I've given up on rollers, tbh.

Last edited:

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I don't see myself playing any snipers or the nozzlenose weapons anytime soon.
Other than that I have my faves but I can play any other weapon at least decently.

Meta Knightmare

Full Squid
NNID
spacephage
nozzlenoses.
hands down.
i enjoy chargers from time to time and struggle with the dynamo roller (though still usable in my hands) i just... cant get a good grip on the nozzlenose guns

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I'm not real good with Splattlings so I only really play them on my alt account. I never say I will "never" use a weapon though, because you never know. I use to hate the Splattershot Pro family and now I really like it.

And y'all gotta give Nozzlenoses a chance. The L-3 and the L-3 D are really deadly (the D less so since the Burst Bomb nerf)

PyrexO2

Senior Squid
NNID
Ethan_Gaming_02
Two weapons that i would never ever use would have to be the Nozzlenoses and Bamboozled, idk if other people might be good with them but i have never seen anyone play with them and i expect no one to play with them for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time. I mean, snipers only being able to shoot in straight lines is already bad enough, but they make up for it since they can one shot their opponents. BUT the Bamboozled doesn't even one shot? like seriously this makes for some ****ty escape options on top of good options for escape for the oposition, as well as leaving you wide open. And now the Nozzlenose, it wouldn't be that bad of a weapon tbh if it wasn't for its terrible fire, i mean it only shoots two sploshes of ink at a time, it has **** range, and its specials aren't that good either. Any types of these weapons are just absolute awful and i wouldn't even use them in turf war.

Dual

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
The Great Zapfish. It's really cozy here!
NNID
chaser1234
I actually really like the Cherry H-3. Have any of you given it a try? I can't really use the bamboozlers or the e-liters since they got nerfed, and the bamboozlers I was never good at, but I still like them.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
In my case its Chargers, Rollers and Blasters. I'm not good enough of a shot to use Chargers reliably (aside of the fact that I can't see my crosshairs reliably), and I don't have a rush mentality to be able to use a Roller effectively. Also, the short range and fire rate of Blasters doesn't strike my fancy much :confused:

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I think my answer has changed a little bit... I won't use the L3 at all anymore. x) I've come to terms with the fact that I am just plain bad with the L3 and that isn't going to be changing. :P I try to avoid using it at all costs. :v I don't know what it is. I can do fairly well with an H3 and I'm still improving but an L3... I can't seem to use for anything and it always ends very terribly. x)

CrazyGadget

Inkster Jr.
NNID
CrazyGadget466
Can't wield rollers. By themselves, they pretty much rely on either ninja-ing your foe from the back or praying your foe needs a tutorial on how to aim. Some combos make it work but I can't use the pivotal points well.

SpiralRhapsody

Full Squid
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
Anything that isn't a gun. Yeah, I often look at the Dynamo and go "wow, that's a really good weapon. Maybe I should use it" but then I blink and I'm already losing with the Nozzlenose

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom