• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Banning Weapons or Maps?

swifT

Octarian Legion Founder | Luna is my Daughter
NNID
swiftea
That's a big if. What if Nintendo doesn't do that?
If nintendo doesnt do anything like this I feel like it will become much more difficult for LAN tournaments to function. I feel like if this were the case the only option would be fore players to bring their own setups if people want to have access to their own gear. At the same time the game could also just be normalized to the point where everyone has access to the same gear, but ofc everyone would like to avoid that.

I feel that if it really turned to everyone having to bring their own set up in order to play it would not be that frustrating or annoying. The Wii U is fairly compact and easy to carry, and it is quickly unpacked and set up with ease.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Even if there was a best weapon, why would it be banned? Everyone would just play with that weapon
Depends on how much of a gap it is. If it's something as extreme as Akuma in Super Street Fighter II Turbo, a character so broken that picking anyone else is an automatic loss, that's a bit of a problem. But that is an extreme case, so extreme that if anything like it existed in this game we'd probably notice it even this early.

Also, this is a team game, and the ideal composition ought to involve players specializing for different roles. 4 of the same thing doesn't sound good, and surely shouldn't be good.

rokami

Inkling
NNID
83byte
The reason the Aerospray seems so good right now is because a high fire rate and wide spray makes it very beginner friendly. Doesn't necessarily means as much at a high level of play. Inking will also matter less in other game modes.
I wouldn't necessarily say beginner. You unlock it at level 7, which is pretty close to 10. It does seem to be a little too grand though. I usually play with the Krak-On Roller, and while I do decently well, I never score quite as well as I do with the Aerospray. I'll usually score the highest whenever I use it. I feel bad, but at least it helps leveling up go by a bit quicker?

swifT

NNID
swiftea
Depends on how much of a gap it is. If it's something as extreme as Akuma in Super Street Fighter II Turbo, a character so broken that picking anyone else is an automatic loss, that's a bit of a problem. But that is an extreme case, so extreme that if anything like it existed in this game we'd probably notice it even this early.

Also, this is a team game, and the ideal composition ought to involve players specializing for different roles. 4 of the same thing doesn't sound good, and surely shouldn't be good.
I agree with this very statement. Running around with four of the same gun might be good at a casual level but when we look at the future of competitive level play I highly doubt that it'll be effective. The necessary roles per team will eventually pan out and be seen, and already are in my opinion.

tokyodown

Full Squid
NNID
Tokyodown
I agree with this very statement. Running around with four of the same gun might be good at a casual level but when we look at the future of competitive level play I highly doubt that it'll be effective. The necessary roles per team will eventually pan out and be seen, and already are in my opinion.
I think more dedicated roles will be more prevalent very soon. I'm also guessing certain strats, like 3 players in an important area and one in the smaller, less important area. We'll see lots of different strats soon.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I wouldn't necessarily say beginner. You unlock it at level 7, which is pretty close to 10. It does seem to be a little too grand though. I usually play with the Krak-On Roller, and while I do decently well, I never score quite as well as I do with the Aerospray. I'll usually score the highest whenever I use it. I feel bad, but at least it helps leveling up go by a bit quicker?
It hasn't even been a week. Even people already at level 20 are still beginners in the grand scheme of things.

VZ_Blade

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Jefferson1234
The game feel balanced so far even with all of the hectic activities going on during matches. I don't think it is necessary.

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
Even if there was a best weapon, why would it be banned? Everyone would just play with that weapon
That would make for a pretty boring and stale competitive experience. So if there really was 1 weapon that everyone played and was undisputed as the best weapon in the game, then it SHOULD be banned to provide a more balanced, diverse, exciting game for competitive players and fans.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
As far as I can tell they aren't actually hazards that hurt you or anything, just moving thingies. Of course I'm kidding.

Bormp

Inkling
NNID
MasterBeef42
Or possibly, they may make it where you don't wear any items, so every squid will be exactly the same.
In my opinion, the different abilities on your clothes won't need to be banned. From what I can tell, it is not a very major difference in most cases, but they still can be beneficial in many different ways. I think that they will encourage creative playstyles at a competitive level. At first, I thought that they might need to ban items. I thought that someone could farm for certain abilities and get all defence or something. But since stacked abilities apparently don't help as much as I originally thought, I don't think that unfair ability sets will be a problem. Idk, just a thought.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
In my opinion, the different abilities on your clothes won't need to be banned. From what I can tell, it is not a very major difference in most cases, but they still can be beneficial in many different ways. I think that they will encourage creative playstyles at a competitive level. At first, I thought that they might need to ban items. I thought that someone could farm for certain abilities and get all defence or something. But since stacked abilities apparently don't help as much as I originally thought, I don't think that unfair ability sets will be a problem. Idk, just a thought.
It's not an issue of how strong they are, it's an issue of fairness and grinding since it's so difficult to get the exact build you want.

swifT

NNID
swiftea
It's not an issue of how strong they are, it's an issue of fairness and grinding since it's so difficult to get the exact build you want.
Idk if its just me but I feel like that, grinding and randomness to getting that perfect set of gear you want is what should make it okay.

I would not want to generalize the gear that players can use. Frankly if someone works hard and takes the time to play and level their gear with the slim to none chances of RNG going on their side why not allow it? Especially since as I've seen it is not often that people are able to get the exact same ability on the exact same pieces of gear. If the community really felt that gear was an issue I'm sure we could find a way to make it more generalized. It would just take quite a bit of debate and discussion.

Alternatively maybe the community might want to consider a limit on the number of slots you can have between your gear as a player. That is not something I personally favor but I'm sure many other people might think it is a good idea.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
The only way I could see this being unfair is in local tournaments where team joe schmoe which has nobody having played the game for a few hours might not have everything unlocked for their gear going up against a bunch of guys that played in the upper echelons of cs:go/battlefield/halo/CoD and been playing splatoon for a much greater amount of time. In LANs though, it wouldn't make no difference at all as both teams would have similar skillsets and have unlocked nearly everything they could.

ChivalRuse

Inkster Jr.
Two things that could be potentially ban-worthy:

-Squid Beacon for obvious reasons
-Any loadout set that includes the Bubbler special (5 seconds of invulnerability could break the meta)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom