• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Banning Weapons or Maps?

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Competitive communities on console all use use 3rd party programs to communicate as well do its not that big of a deal.
Well I literally can't and I know a lot of people who can't, either. You have to have a smartphone, a laptop, or your tv near your setup.

HaDeeZ

Senior Squid
Well I literally can't and I know a lot of people who can't, either. You have to have a smartphone, a laptop, or your tv near your setup.
Then you're going to be at a pretty big disadvantage if you intend on playing competitive relatively seriously :(

Lyn

Premium
Then you're going to be at a pretty big disadvantage if you intend on playing competitive relatively seriously :(
Well, duh. I really don't see why they would just ignore this anyway. I'm hoping Nintendo eventually gets around to having something similar to a party system eventually. It's kinda ridiculous.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
i know skype mobile will start spraying blood out of your phone into the shape of a pentagram the second you open it, so have you considered moving your computer up, or moving your wii u and tv to your computer? if you can't because it's not yours or something that sucks :///

HaDeeZ

Senior Squid
Well, duh. I really don't see why they would just ignore this anyway.
Because the console and the game is aimed at the family market and presumably they don't want people having the CoD experience where every game you run into someone who has had sex with your mother or someone else in your family. However, I've honestly never really understood why they don't include VC since with the use of parental controls its not really a big deal.

Oathkeeper

Inkling
NNID
MForward56
Talking about bans so early seems quite juvenile. At first we should just play the game as it comes, including all equipment/stat boosts and whatnot. If after rigorous testing something comes out as being completely broken or too free then we can make changes but unless the game is seriously unbalanced I don't think that's going to happen any time near launch. Be creative, people, and don't claim overpowered-ness because you lost.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Talking about bans so early seems quite juvenile. At first we should just play the game as it comes, including all equipment/stat boosts and whatnot. If after rigorous testing something comes out as being completely broken or too free then we can make changes but unless the game is seriously unbalanced I don't think that's going to happen any time near launch. Be creative, people, and don't claim overpowered-ness because you lost.
i don't think dismissing any discussion on how we should go about bans as it being too early is entirely healthy

no one in this thread has gone SPLAT ROLLER 2 OP, NOT GONNA ALLOW IT UNTIL I PRESTIGE or anything, it's mostly just people talking about what we would do if it comes to the point where we need to ban something

Oathkeeper

Inkling
NNID
MForward56
i don't think dismissing any discussion on how we should go about bans as it being too early is entirely healthy

no one in this thread has gone SPLAT ROLLER 2 OP, NOT GONNA ALLOW IT UNTIL I PRESTIGE or anything, it's mostly just people talking about what we would do if it comes to the point where we need to ban something
No, I agree with you, I guess my message didn't come out quite right though. I was trying to say that when the game comes out we shouldn't be thinking about what could/should be banned and instead just playing the game and finding things out. Sorry for any confusion or if it sounded like I was trying to ban bans or something.

HaDeeZ

Senior Squid
If after rigorous testing something comes out as being completely broken or too free then we can make changes but unless the game is seriously unbalanced I don't think that's going to happen any time near launch.
I agree, my point is just that I think its naive to expect that the game is going to be so perfectly balanced that we don't need to ban anything when historically speaking its super ultra rare x1000 for a competitive console title to be played out of the boz and not ban things, especially if dev support and balance patches are lacking.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
honestly i would anticipate a lot of weapon bans that hurt the game's pace or is otherwise problematic, overpowered or not.

for example, in tf2, the mad milk is an item you throw at the opposing team to gain health back upon dealing damage. it's not actually very overpowered, it's just that it slows down the game by a lot because the scout has a safe option for healing and places less emphasis on the medic

i would expect bans like that for splatoon, so that only weapons that have a healthy dynamic for the game are allowed

Oathkeeper

Inkling
NNID
MForward56
I agree, my point is just that I think its naive to expect that the game is going to be so perfectly balanced that we don't need to ban anything when historically speaking its super ultra rare x1000 for a competitive console title to be played out of the boz and not ban things, especially if dev support and balance patches are lacking.
If bans have to be made then they have to be made, I just wouldn't want that to be at the forefront of people's minds when launch comes around. Because my only real experience in competitive gaming comes from Smash which is quite an anomaly in the esports scene maybe I'm not the best person to be speaking about this, haha.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
If bans have to be made then they have to be made, I just wouldn't want that to be at the forefront of people's minds when launch comes around. Because my only real experience in competitive gaming comes from Smash which is quite an anomaly in the esports scene maybe I'm not the best person to be speaking about this, haha.
yeah smash sort of exists in this weird semipermeable membrane of the fgc, it's really its own thing

most notably it's the only community i can think of that has the philosophy of letting the meta adapt as opposed to waiting for patches, which is actually something i agree with and think more communities need to learn from

HaDeeZ

Senior Squid
No you're definitely right I just don't want people to go into the game with the expectation that nothing is going to be banned; while things aren't going to just be banned left and right immediately on a whim there are inevitably going to be things are banned.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
No you're definitely right I just don't want people to go into the game with the expectation that nothing is going to be banned; while things aren't going to just be banned left and right immediately on a whim there are inevitably going to be things are banned.
yeah, bans pretty much always happen in some way or another. they might not be overt like they are in some games, but they pretty much always happen and you shouldn't go into a competitive scene thinking that everythings allowed

FlareHabanero

Increases the Excitement
Keep in mind things get banned for a reason, and no it's not because "I don't like it". Like there's a difference between scrubs complaining about some sort of skill gate tactic and something that is genuinely centralizing. Just want to clarify that when the games come out and we weed out the minnows from the sharks.

NNID DubaloSeven

Inkster Jr.
I would hope that extremely random elements (like items in Smash Bros) would be banned from the get go, but as long as it's not too random I'd prefer to keep as much as possible.

Lyn

Premium
I would hope that extremely random elements (like items in Smash Bros) would be banned from the get go, but as long as it's not too random I'd prefer to keep as much as possible.
I don't think it's likely there will be anything intrusive on maps. I'm honestly more concerned about unbalanced weapons and gear.

Mr.HawK

The Artist
I don't think it's likely there will be anything intrusive on maps. I'm honestly more concerned about unbalanced weapons and gear.
I think gear would be the only thing that affects weapons, which would make them unbalanced possibly. some gear boosts stats if i remember correctly.....

Setu

Idgaf about if one weapon is better than another, I'll just get good with the lower ranked weapons to prove people wrong. Even if everybody is using some weapons more than others, IT DOESN'T RUIN THE FUN OF THE GAME

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom