• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Banning Weapons or Maps?

Dr. Peace

Full Squid
Nothing sticks out as particularly imbalanced in this game, and hopefully that stays the case at launch. I imagine the biggest problem might be gear, but with the game designed around clothing as a central concept I have faith none of it will be too overpowered. It's good to have discussion on stuff like this early, since it'll prevent community splintering down the line but Splatoon is an arena shooter, not a fighting game, I can't see anything being THAT bad, especially in a 4 v 4 setting with built in cooldowns.

Though I woudln't put it past some players to munchkin the heck out of a certain set so it neds some community instilled rules.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Nothing sticks out as particularly imbalanced in this game, and hopefully that stays the case at launch. I imagine the biggest problem might be gear, but with the game designed around clothing as a central concept I have faith none of it will be too overpowered. It's good to have discussion on stuff like this early, since it'll prevent community splintering down the line but Splatoon is an arena shooter, not a fighting game, I can't see anything being THAT bad, especially in a 4 v 4 setting with built in cooldowns.

Though I woudln't put it past some players to munchkin the heck out of a certain set so it neds some community instilled rules.
I agree completely. :)

KawaiiChao

Full Squid
I think it might be a biiit to early to worry about that, but I think most of us can agree that the game will be extremely competitive. But, since there's no voice chat, I think it will keep the community a lot less nasty.

Lyn

Premium
I think it might be a biiit to early to worry about that, but I think most of us can agree that the game will be extremely competitive. But, since there's no voice chat, I think it will keep the community a lot less nasty.
Maybe, but not having voice chat does hurt the competitive side. I'd say "extremely competitive" is just wishful thinking right now. Although that could be said for most anything.

Dr. Peace

Full Squid
I don't really think ability to communicate in game will harm the depth of the competition, it may moderately affect the number of people getting into the competitive side. LIke I mentioned though, even amongst high and professional level competition in many games they use outside programs to communicate while playing even if in game chat is available, especially in FPS games akin to Splatoon like TF2 and the Battlefield series.

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
Speaking as someone who's played in competitive scrims in TF2, we used 3rd party programs like skype instead of the built in voice chat anyways.

Lyn

Premium
Speaking as someone who's played in competitive scrims in TF2, we used 3rd party programs like skype instead of the built in voice chat anyways.
That is true, but that is a PC game so you have access to Skype right away. Unfortunately it isn't the same way on Wii U.

KawaiiChao

Full Squid
Maybe, but not having voice chat does hurt the competitive side. I'd say "extremely competitive" is just wishful thinking right now. Although that could be said for most anything.
It's wishful thinking that I pray will become a reality, yes >w<.
I just hope there will be a lot of players, so you don't ever have to experience an empty lobby or team.

Faty

Inkling
I don't think a single weapon will be too OP over the rest. Although, there will likely be a favorite which everyone resorts to for being good while others will be forgotten.

Stages seem fair so far. Maybe if a glitch that breaks the game is found on a stage is when we'll have problems lol

Lyn

Premium
I don't think a single weapon will be too OP over the rest. Although, there will likely be a favorite which everyone resorts to for being good while others will be forgotten.

Stages seem fair so far. Maybe if a glitch that breaks the game is found on a stage is when we'll have problems lol
Likely, we'll have to see when the game comes out I suppose!

Nap1400

Inkling
NNID
Nap1400
I realize this discussion is talking about completely getting rid of OP stuff, but I'd like to look at this kind of discussion in a different light. From what I understand a lot of MOBAs and stuff like that do bans in a different sense, in a similar way to how we handle stage counterpicking in Smash games. One team bans the other from choosing certain champions to force the team to make a different set of champions to adapt, and then the other team must do the same. I wonder if it might be useful for us to take that kind of philosophy here, considering this is a team based game and all (Obviously this doesn't work for characters in fighting games since for the most part they're one-on-one games). Maybe at the start you can ban the opposing team from using certain loadouts to force them to change their strategy and add a little variety to the meta.

I dunno, just a random thought.

Nin☆Jun

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Dantel
If the Splat Roller had gotten variations in the game, I could really see it getting banned from the game, assuming there's a perk that boosts movement speed.

Lyn

Premium
If the Splat Roller had gotten variations in the game, I could really see it getting banned from the game, assuming there's a perk that boosts movement speed.
I imagine having the current Splat Roller even with a movement speed perk will be deadly.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
i don't actually think that'd be very OP, you'd be moving so fast it'd be hard to frag anyone with such a short trail :P

HaDeeZ

Senior Squid
That is true, but that is a PC game so you have access to Skype right away. Unfortunately it isn't the same way on Wii U.
Competitive communities on console all use use 3rd party programs to communicate as well do its not that big of a deal.

Honestly its too early to get into the specifics of what needs to be banned but considering virtually every single competitive console title ever, especially FPS games and especially the FPS games designed for a very casual audience, *are not played with out of the box rules* there is pretty a good chance that we will need to ban some ****.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
i guess not everyone will have their computer next to their TV and all, but i'm sure most competitive players who are serious enough to join teams will consider moving their tv and wii u for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom