• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Banning Weapons or Maps?

toadster101

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0022-0027-5937
>game isn't even out yet
>people are already discussing hypothetical bans

Jesus ****ing Christ

Please don't let Splatoon's competitive scene become as limiting, circlejerking, and scrubbish as TF2's competitive scene, where things are banned because "we don't like it".
This. Scrubs have already taken over the Mario Kart and Pokémon communities. Don't encourage them.

Ice

Inkling
I feel like weapons may have ban potential, if they're just too good. However, I don't think maps will be banned. This game being what it is, and not smash, I think any map could work, creativity is gonna be huge in this game when it comes to going around the map.

Lizalfos

Inkling
Please don't let Splatoon's competitive scene become as limiting, circlejerking, and scrubbish as TF2's competitive scene, where things are banned because "we don't like it".
TF2 banned things that were harmful to a meta that existed for over 5 yrs.
RTR allows face roll kamikaze spy attacks. Darwin's destroys counter sniping.

Splatoon isn't developed to the point where we know what the game flow is. If one we know a few years into the game, it will be apparent whether certain items destroy game flow without reasonable and interesting counter play.

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
Ca we at least wait until, say, October before using the word "ban"? I'm all for banning stuff that makes it impossible to play any other way, but we should really give this game a fair shot before even considering such. For all we know, this game was balanced using a quantum gyroscope.

At this point in time, if I were a forum admin, I''d consider using the word "ban" a banning offence. XD

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
I definitely support not banning anything until we have at least a few months on the game. Rushing decisions like this could hurt the competitive community immensely and make it nigh impossible to introduce change later down the road. (see: Mario Kart 8 community and 200cc)

Figy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Hummana
I think for any game that nothing should get banned right away and people should get a feel for everything and just have fun when it first comes out.

RayneTheSkunk

Inkster Jr.
A shooter does not need to worry about banning this early. No game needs to worry about banning this earlier.
Smash Bros is the one exception, and Smash only has to worry about banning stages, and that is because everyone knows at least half of the games stages won't be usable for competative.

You might not agree with the contents, but I think it makes an overall good point on the subject.

Tronic

Inkling
coming from a community where we tried to eliminate perks to highlight the skill-gap in the game I would hope some things are regulated (for competition). But I agree it's far too early to think about excluding anything yet

CyberHyperPhoenix

Senior Squid
Considering how the creators at one point said they want this game to be a competitive game, I'm sure they are going to make it so it won't necessarily be needed.

Lochy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Lochinator
Well, Im pretty sure that there's gonna be a good number of fashion inklings who just pick up good looking gear and roll with the stats given.
One of those inklings will be me :)
To me looking good is one of the core elements of my gamestyle. If I'm not a little bit flashy/stylish I don't do as well.

StarHunter789

Pro Squid
NNID
Linestar777
>game isn't even out yet
>people are already discussing hypothetical bans

Jesus ****ing Christ

This. Scrubs have already taken over the Mario Kart and Pokémon communities. Don't encourage them.
All of this. The game isn't out so we should not even be thinking about banning stages, weapons, or gear. I understand the need to have a game be balanced and fair, but Splatoon is just that--a game. To treat it like a sport with special rules, regulations, and banned or allowed aspects of the game is something I don't agree with.

Mayday

Row, Row, Fight the Power!
NNID
MaydayBelieves
*Standard game isn't out yet comment*

We really don't have to worry about this until August either. Can't have tournament play without custom matches or LAN

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
Do you think there will be any weapons or maps banned in competitive Splatoon? I don't think there would be, but imbalance can happen in any game (especially from Nintendo). If stages or weapons or etc; being banned is likely, which do you think would be banned? I don't like the idea of banning anything if not completely necessary, but you never know.
Weapons will not be banned, please stop trying. Because of the nature of competitive play, some maps will probably get banned out. May the Mexican Spaniard have mercy on your soul.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
and that's how i know you have no idea why things are banned in tf2

weapons aren't banned in tf2 because players just don't like it. if i could i'd ban the black box because i think it's annoying the soldier has another source of regaining health, but it's not a bad weapon, it's fair and balanced and everyone knows that, so it's let in, even if it's annoying to have a roaming soldier worrying even less about health. things in competitive tf2 are banned because they slow down the game, either because they're op or have bad design choices. for example, the mad milk is banned because it more or less eliminates the need to seek out health kits or rely on your medic, because when the other team pushes the scout can just milk them and ruin the push. if the mad milk was allowed, every scout would be using it and the meta would be stale and over-centralized, even though the weapon isn't really overpowered in the sense that it kills things faster or helps you play your role better.

most competitive shooter communities do this as well (unless you're playing counter strike, which is in its really odd completely independent state in esports where pretty much anything goes since 1.6 in the year 2000 and has valve patching some things sometimes) and imo splatoon should follow this same path. if a weapon set or combination of abilities is overpowered, over-centralizing, or otherwise unhealthy to the established meta, don't let it in. it's not a fighting game where things would be better off letting the meta find itself, we have some control over the meta of the game we're playing and we can better it.

the game comes out in 4 days, and private lobbies are coming in an update in august. we have plenty of time to find out what's healthy and what's not before the competitive community can truly kick into overdrive.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I think maybe some gear could get banned, but all of the weapon sets and parks look fairly balanced. Maybe there could be special competitive situations like "4v4 turf war snipers only" or something like that, but not for normal play.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Weapons will not be banned, please stop trying. Because of the nature of competitive play, some maps will probably get banned out. May the Mexican Spaniard have mercy on your soul.
Trying what? I'm not certain you even read what I said now..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom