• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Banning Weapons or Maps?

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
While we can't say anything about balance yet, we can talk about fairness. I really hate the idea of grinding for gear in a multiplayer game, especially when there's RNG involved. IMO, I think that should be banned to keep it a level playing field. I don't want this to turn into Kid Icarus Uprising where it's all about who got the best loot drops.

Also, do we know for sure yet if the amiibo weapons are cosmetic or not? If there's anything that affects gameplay, even just an alternate sub/special loadout, those have to be banned, wouldn't be fair otherwise. And if gear is allowed, I'd still at least want the amiibo gear banned.

Regarding map bans, have they even confirmed if you can freely pick maps in private lobbies? Or will those be confined to the server rotation? That would really be a problem if it's the latter. Even if all the maps are fair, it'd still be hell when you have to play the same 2 over and over a while and can't rotate them yourselves.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
You've.... already passed... 1000 messages.....? ._. wat..??
It's rather easy to have 1000+ even now. The major of said posts, will not have things that anyone would find helpful or beneficial, in the slightest. All you have to do, is say, "Wow that's neat, super cool can't wait to have it, or keep up the good work" or add your two cents to every post you see. Do this on like every thread you see as well, and you to, can be big bad post count senpai.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
I think what really needs to be discussed is if people with horrible ping and lag should be banned.

Makkool

Inkling
NNID
Makkool
Do you think there will be any weapons or maps banned in competitive Splatoon? I don't think there would be, but imbalance can happen in any game (especially from Nintendo). If stages or weapons or etc; being banned is likely, which do you think would be banned? I don't like the idea of banning anything if not completely necessary, but you never know.
I do not think that any weapons or stages will be banned for a while in the Splatoon scene. Coming from a competitive Super Smash Bros. background, many aspects of the game are kept in that seem unbalanced. I believe no stages will be banned (As long as neither team spawns with an advantage over the other). And weapons may seem OP at first but as the meta develops there will be ways to counteract with other weapons or strategies.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
While we can't say anything about balance yet, we can talk about fairness. I really hate the idea of grinding for gear in a multiplayer game, especially when there's RNG involved. IMO, I think that should be banned to keep it a level playing field. I don't want this to turn into Kid Icarus Uprising where it's all about who got the best loot drops.

Also, do we know for sure yet if the amiibo weapons are cosmetic or not? If there's anything that affects gameplay, even just an alternate sub/special loadout, those have to be banned, wouldn't be fair otherwise. And if gear is allowed, I'd still at least want the amiibo gear banned.

Regarding map bans, have they even confirmed if you can freely pick maps in private lobbies? Or will those be confined to the server rotation? That would really be a problem if it's the latter. Even if all the maps are fair, it'd still be hell when you have to play the same 2 over and over a while and can't rotate them yourselves.
1.I personally don't think it should be banned. Only the 3 main perks have a major effect on an Inkling, the other nine secondary are eh. Buying equipment with main perks you want is easy. Plus what else would you do? Even the basic equipment comes with a random secondary slot. Still not exactly balanced.

2. Yepyepyep.

3. Yes. Rewatch the direct.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I think what really needs to be discussed is if people with horrible ping and lag should be banned.
What we need is regional matchmaking. Ping is something nobody has control over - except the matchmaking servers which could be handling that and aren't.
1.I personally don't think it should be banned. Only the 3 main perks have a major effect on an Inkling, the other nine secondary are eh. Buying equipment with main perks you want is easy. Plus what else would you do? Even the basic equipment comes with a random secondary slot. Still not exactly balanced./QUOTE]
And what about those secondary perks? Those are the part that's a hellish RNG grind, which just isn't fair. The fairest solution is to unequip it all, don't even use the basic gear either.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
What we need is regional matchmaking. Ping is something nobody has control over - except the matchmaking servers which could be handling that and aren't.
If you can, get an USB to Ethernet adapter for your Wii U. Your connection will be amazing.

Mayday

Row, Row, Fight the Power!
NNID
MaydayBelieves
If you can, get an USB to Ethernet adapter for your Wii U. Your connection will be amazing.
This. The Wii ethernet adapter is only like $20 and works with the Wii U. Completely worth it

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
Unless there is something incredibly outrageous that you cannot even hope to play against (unless you use it), like a weapon that turns out to be so OP that no one uses anything else, then no weapons should be banned. As for stages, a stage would need to be rather bad/uncompetitive to have it not be used in most tournaments. If that were the case, there would simply be a group of stages allowed for the tournament(s). From what I've seen so far, none of the stages really seem to fall into that category. but hey, after we get our hands on the real game, we may find something so outrageous that it makes a stage need to be banned.

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
I wonder if the potential spawn-camping problems with Walleye would merit banning the stage...

Mayday

Row, Row, Fight the Power!
NNID
MaydayBelieves
I wonder if the potential spawn-camping problems with Walleye would merit banning the stage...
That's what I was wondering. I can see the strategy of that map devolving into pushes for spawn camping. Which is kind of sad, because it was my favorite map from the Testfires

TheRapture

Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
If a team in a match lets themselves get spawncamped, then they deserve to lose.
Is it really, though? Sometimes you can't help it. And that's not particularly a good solution for lesser skilled players who may not know how to deal with it.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
Is it really, though? Sometimes you can't help it. And that's not particularly a good solution for lesser skilled players who may not know how to deal with it.
Yes, it kind of is. No one likes to see a spawn camp, but it's up to the teams to have a strategy and player quality good enough so that they don't get pushed all the way back to spawn. Walleye is small and compact, and once a team gets to spawn it is really easy to camp it. But in matches where teams are close to equal, that shouldn't be a problem because their strategies should be able to hold enough of a fight against each other to not suffer your entire team constantly going extinct to the point where you get camped. The only times in walleye where a team gets camped is when one team is already mopping the floor with at least most of the other team, in which case the team getting camped is already probably a lot worse than the team who has managed to set up camp and would lose anyway on other maps that don't get camped as much.

Camping was common during the testfire on walleye because teams were often highly unbalanced and very, very uncoordinated. That won't be nearly as prevalent in set up matches where both teams have a strategy, are communicating, and where the players are at least decent.

TheRapture

Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
Yes, it kind of is. No one likes to see a spawn camp, but it's up to the teams to have a strategy and player quality good enough so that they don't get pushed all the way back to spawn. Walleye is small and compact, and once a team gets to spawn it is really easy to camp it. But in matches where teams are close to equal, that shouldn't be a problem because their strategies should be able to hold enough of a fight against each other to not suffer your entire team constantly going extinct to the point where you get camped. The only times in walleye where a team gets camped is when one team is already mopping the floor with at least most of the other team, in which case the team getting camped is already probably a lot worse than the team who has managed to set up camp and would lose anyway on other maps that don't get camped as much.

Camping was common during the testfire on walleye because teams were often highly unbalanced and very, very uncoordinated. That won't be nearly as prevalent in set up matches where both teams have a strategy, are communicating, and where the players are at least decent.
I get all of that, but there are other factors at play here.

There's a certain threshold, for example, in which it doesn't really matter how equal teams are in skill. If the design of the map heavily favors spawn-campers, at times it can be almost impossible to break a lock.

And we want an accessible game. We don't want it to be overly easy to hold teams down at spawn. Right now, Walleye is built to really facilitate spawn camping at all levels of play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom