Cards against..... ink.... manity........??

Madt123

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
NNID
minty
black cards:

I can't believe that _____ won the _______ splatfest!
Did you see the new brand that ________ just bought?
The best thing about side order is the _______.
I really hate the ______ because ______.
The next idols for Splatoon is clearly going to be based off of _______.

Grushi

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
Black cards:
  • ___ can hold more fizzbangs!
  • Guys I think I just saw Sheldon and ___ holding hands?? I ship it
  • Lowkey? ___ could have saved crab meta
  • ... I just got splashdown canceled by ___
  • After listening to fan complaints, Nintendo has finally decided to remove ___ from the game.
  • Marie just hosted ___ on her podcast the other day, despite the allegations?? Not a good look
  • I'm calling it. The next splatoon villain will try to end to world thanks to a flurry of ___

White cards:
  • This picture of my cat
  • Eeltail zones
  • The splattercolor screen sub weapon
  • Stick controls
  • Missile spam flingza
  • Masculine poses? (whatever that guy meant lmao)
  • Jackpot
  • The american inkjetter
  • The trizooka buff
It's really fun to come up with ideas I won't lie

briank913

Inkling Cadet
NNID
briank913
Switch Friend Code
SW-0159-0074-0919
White card inspired by Nogami's interview about his favorite weapon and my

Instead of nerfing the 52 Gal, the devs will nerf ________

Instead of making H-3 a usable weapon, the devs will buff _________

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
Welp, we're officially at 124 call cards and 485 response cards. I'd say that's pretty game-able. Y'all are amazing :D

I'll still be adding any suggestions that come in via this thread or the form though, so don't be shy (or it's fine if you are shy, that's what the anonymous form is for)!

As for when we're doing this, I've posted a when2meet link in the original anniversary planning thread.

(I'd still like to run some small beta/playtest games at some point to see what can/should be tweaked but I'm not entirely sure how that will work yet.)

ThestralZ

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1797-1352-6215
New black card:
______ does 10% more damage to Splash Wall
Edit: Didn’t check page 2, sorry Squib

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
nah I like yours better anyway
or we could include both, I don't see why not

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
@Bennet if you mean generally how the game is played, there's a rundown in the first post:
For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about... this is a silly game where everyone is dealt a number of response (white) cards, and then a random call (black) card is drawn. One player is picked to be the judge and then everyone else plays whatever response card they think fills in the call card's blank(s) in the best/funniest/most-appealing-to-the-judge way. The judge picks the response card they like best, and that player gets a point. Everyone takes turns being the judge and the game can go on until you get tired of it or run out of cards. It's more about making each other laugh than it is about winning, hah.
if you mean actually how one goes about playing this game specifically, it's on a site that I'll post an invite link to when we're playing (which looks like it will be sunday afternoon/evening right now but I'll figure out the specifics in a bit here).

I'm adding both the splash wall ones, these are too funny. I love how y'all both immediately had the same idea.

Meanwhile, the feedback I have gotten from the playtests so far is primarily of two flavors:
- There are too many boring, unfunny cards (which are mostly the cards that are just weapon/ability/etc names)
- There are too many hyperspecific cards that are funny in and of themselves but don't really fit into anything

and to a lesser extent:
- There are too many cards with a negative slant/bias to them
- There should be more cards with a negative slant/bias to them because that's what's funny

For the first topic, I am less worried about the latter because I feel like the absurdity element can be at least a little entertaining even if it doesn't make sense. But to remedy the former I'm working on trying to replace many of the mundane weapon/item/etc names with spicier, more interesting versions, IE "a lagging, teleporting Painbrush" instead of just "Painbrush" or "999 Special Power Up chunks" instead of just "Special Power Up." If any of you have any suggestions for these we can desperately use them because I am not a comedic genius, lol. I think leaving some of them as they are is probably okay and I do want to have every main weapon represented in some capacity but the sheer proportional amount of the deck they are making up currently is a bit much. That said I think I might enable the rule that lets you discard and redraw your hand in exchange for points to alleviate some of that.

For the second topic (maybe to some extent the first too) I think it's a bit of a clash between people who haven't played CAH and aren't expecting it to be CAH, vs those who have and are. We're certainly not banking on the "it's funny because it's crude/awful/etc" aspect of CAH for this deck, but it's not as sterile as Apples to Apples either. Do y'all have any thoughts on this? I feel like it's something I can't really make everyone happy with if there are two entirely different expectations for what the game should be.

Also I don't know that I have outright said this but thank you all so much for your contributions so far! Even though there are still improvements to be made the playtests have still been a lot of fun, and I think there will be something for everyone to enjoy regardless :D

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
So judging by the totally misguided availability calendar in the anniversary thread, it looks like the most common availability is around 3pm eastern time on this Sunday. So right now I'm thinking I'll run one set of games at 3pm and another at 5pm which I think covers everyone who submitted availability.

What I think I'll do is just post a link here to the game around that time. It's pretty nicely set up so that you can come and go as you please, drop in and drop out even mid-games, so if you're late or have to take a break it's not a big deal. You can even just join as a spectator if you want to watch but don't want to play. As long as there are 3 or more people the game can be played.

This is subject to change so watch this thread. And also feel free to keep submitting card ideas! As a reminder if you want to do that anonymously the form is here, but otherwise you can just post them in this thread. :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom