• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Convince Me v52 isn't Overpowered

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
52 isn't overpowered compared to the rest of the weapons at the top, this game just has a lot of weapons in the lower tiers. Of course it looks OP compared to the lower tiers, any of the good weapons do.

It's an SMG with a fast kill time and decent paint, but no splash damage and a mid special. If that's a problem, I'd say that speaks to how weak and poorly designed so many of this games weapons/kits are before I'd say that speaks to 52 being particularly problematic.

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
I've been thinking more about why there's been such a wave of 52s in X rank recently so I'm bringing this thread back from the dead, whatever, indulge me

The reason why 52 feels so annoying to fight is because it's the best weapon at punishing mistakes in the game. At its range, you can't peek a 52, pretty much ever, because its kill time outdoes basically every other weapon in the game, so you need to be very patient about when you want to push it and you need to respect its space, you can't just walk in on a 52 and expect it to go well.
So if you make a mistake in your positioning or get greedy with your plays, the 52 is just going to eat you up, simple as that. Not to mention 52 is way more mobile than most weapons in the game, so if you play as a slow weapon, you need to be aware of where the 52 is at all times because it can literally swim up to you and kill you in your endlag, even if it was outside of your range.

And that's when wall comes into play, I don't think it's that much of a get out of bad positioning free card, but it is a "I am just going to stand here, threaten to delete you, and you can't deal with me by yourself, what are you going to do :)" tool. Wall gives you so much survivability, on a mobile weapon with good range, an insane kill time, and solid paint. This sub basically requires you to displace the 52 if you ever want to fight it, and if you don't have any displacement tools you need to 2v1 the 52, and split its attention between two players, which is hard to set up in solo, and might just not work since the 52 can just delete your teammate if you're too late.

So I think the reason why there's so many 52s in X rank now, and why Melon used it (the guy who got 5000XP in japan), is because the new matchmaking system is a LOT more lenient with your opponents' X powers. Before, top 500 players would basically always get matched in top 500 lobbies, at most you'd get half 500s and half players that were close to that. Now it's usually one or two 500s per team, even for top 30 or so players, which means that you'll be fighting a lot more players that won't be as diligent or patient during the game. So having a weapon that can insta punish their mistakes is very very good, not to mention 52's a very self-sufficient weapon that can easily carry games in the right hands, it doesn't really need anything.
It has some weaknesses, but they're difficult and unpredictable to expoit. I don't think the weapon is that easy, you need to learn to play around wall and be very patient yourself, since you can overextend and get picked off for it, but it's got really valuable strenghts in solo. And yes, I get why fighting it feels annoying, since if you're both within range and are aware of each other, the 52 wins that fight 9 times out of 10 and it can feel dumb

Anyway, for funsies, try replacing the 13 times I've said '52' in this post with 'the Alien', and you've now summarised the plot of every Alien movie, trust. Is the 52 in the room with us right now?

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
Anyway, for funsies, try replacing the 13 times I've said '52' in this post with 'the Alien', and you've now summarised the plot of every Alien movie, trust. Is the 52 in the room with us right now?
There are 15. You forgot the last two.
:)

ThestralZ

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1797-1352-6215
I've been thinking more about why there's been such a wave of 52s in X rank recently so I'm bringing this thread back from the dead, whatever, indulge me
This is what prompted me to originally make the post, glad to see I'm not the only one lol

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I find it funny that Nintendo has done virtually nothing to .52 over the game's lifespan.
And by "I find it funny" I mean I hate it.
Machine's fire rate was nerfed by five frames. Five. Stamper has received three main weapon nerfs. How hard would it be to nerf .52 Gal's startup by as much as one frame? Not to mention that the only thing Splash ever got was a tiny nerf to its painting range.

Nintendo's clear favoritism and bias towards shooters is disgusting. Don't get me wrong, the buffs in the last patch were good, but again, how hard would it have been to buff Stringer, or Goo Tuber, or Dynamo, or ANY BRELLA?
That's my two cents, anyway.

Last edited:

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
There's literally no way
52 supremacy.PNG

Is @ThestralZ a secret meta expert ahead of their time???
I fully expect octo airlines to be running the most advanced meta picks you'll ever see, everyone will learn from your comps, just you watch

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
There's literally no way
View attachment 11363

I fully expect octo airlines to be running the most advanced meta picks you'll ever see, everyone will learn from your comps, just you watch
im confused was this not expected? 52 was already a strong option but i guess trizooka is falling off so it gets an opportunity to rise up

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
im confused was this not expected? 52 was already a strong option but i guess trizooka is falling off so it gets an opportunity to rise up
Yeah it was always good but it didn't see that much use in comp until recently, I just didn't expect it to see more use out of nowhere.

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
Yeah it was always good but it didn't see that much use in comp until recently, I just didn't expect it to see more use out of nowhere.
you probably arent bound to having a shot that basically only farms zooka anymore so now you can replace it with something that can fight better but still paint decently since squeezer lacks paint, and 52 matches that description perfectly. plus squeezer has an autobomb now so you arent even losing a bomb slot (also squeezer loves having an autobomb)
also i guess trizooka fell off so hard that screen is fine to deal with?

i haven’t watched the video maybe i will later, i don’t know why trizooka is falling off that hard and maybe he explained it there

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
you probably arent bound to having a shot that basically only farms zooka anymore so now you can replace it with something that can fight better but still paint decently since squeezer lacks paint, and 52 matches that description perfectly. plus squeezer has an autobomb now so you arent even losing a bomb slot (also squeezer loves having an autobomb)
also i guess trizooka fell off so hard that screen is fine to deal with?

i haven’t watched the video maybe i will later, i don’t know why trizooka is falling off that hard and maybe he explained it there
I mean in a nutshell it's just that vshot can't spam zookas as well, and the main weapon isn't as good as all the fighting guns people are picking, so it's not as worth it anymore. Zooka itself is still kind of insane

And 52 is just an insane main weapon, and nothing can deal with wall really well, so it's really strong rn

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
I mean in a nutshell it's just that vshot can't spam zookas as well, and the main weapon isn't as good as all the fighting guns people are picking, so it's not as worth it anymore. Zooka itself is still kind of insane

And 52 is just an insane main weapon, and nothing can deal with wall really well, so it's really strong rn
yeah nothing actually happened to the special itself so it will probably stay viable but it’s still crazy that we went from double zooka to wail and screen (assuming the 4 weapons in X tier are all used in the same comp)

ThestralZ

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1797-1352-6215
There's literally no way
View attachment 11363

I'm suddenly very glad I have three Stamper players on my team

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom