• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2 Critique My Gear

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Since I saw that there weren't any official threads for rating gear builds for S2, and that I've seen loads of individual posts saying "Should I use 'x' ability or 'y' ability on this weapon". So, if anyone is confused, just post your gear build in this thread and we'll help you improve it.

Just some guidelines before we get started:
1.Please show gear builds to splatoon 2 weapons only.
Sorry for all you old school players out there, but this thread is going to try and focus on splatoon 2. So hopefully I don't see builds with 3 mains and 9 subs of damage up here.

2. Be kind and respectful to everyone wanting criticism.
Please don't insult others because they have an ability that isn't to your preference. Just don't say:
"ur a newb becuz u used "x" ability instead of "z" ability, u ****"

3. Be willing to accept criticism.
For people posting gear here, please don't reject every offer given to you. It defeats the purpose of you showing your gear anyway.

With all of the boring rules out of the way, I'll give an example for someone to critique on.
upload_2017-10-19_18-21-43.png

Here's just a screenshot from Loadout.ink , which is pretty useful for planning out gear builds, and it helps you picture what abilities would go where.

So without further ado, if you have a comment for me, or want comments on your own build, post them in the thread. Thanks for hearing me ramble, and have a nice day.​

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
That bomb defense is interesting - not something I'd ever have thought to use on a rapid blaster.
What was the reasoning behind that?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
That bomb defense is interesting - not something I'd ever have thought to use on a rapid blaster.
What was the reasoning behind that?
I can answer that. Rapid Blasters are basically immobile when firing, so roughly 11% less damage from every non-main source greatly increases survivability, especially when combined with that swim speed. It looks like a solid build overall, in my opinion.

iced potato

Senior Squid
Is this actual gear you use yourself or just a random example of what to post here? I'm a bit confused on that.

If it is your gear, I would like to know why you have chosen the Squidvader Cap, Anchor Life Vest and Orange Arrows together as a look. Not that there's anything wrong with it, just curious.

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
Nice thread! Here's my Octobrush set, which has been working pretty well actually. Fresh or nah?

upload_2017-10-20_8-33-55.png

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Is this actual gear you use yourself or just a random example of what to post here? I'm a bit confused on that.

If it is your gear, I would like to know why you have chosen the Squidvader Cap, Anchor Life Vest and Orange Arrows together as a look. Not that there's anything wrong with it, just curious.
Yeah this is my actual gear load out. And I just happened to have all the abilities lying around lol. But I think I'm going to make a better build cosmetically and in actual game play terms.

Quiana

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-4640-8314-4331
Brella.png MiniSplat.png
I just joined as I enjoy seeing the discussions for Splatoon, figured I'd start in this thread. I admit the hardest part is trying to look good and get what fits your weapon or build, but I like to think I did alright. I've always loved the Splatlings and fell in love hard with the Brella. I mained it for a good time before they buffed it, and now it's pretty downright perfect for a close defensive/deny weapon. My brella kit also works equally well with the Splatling main too, IMO.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
@Quiana
When I saw your brella set, I was so confused about how you had so much special charge up, and the points to turf only decreased by 5, I didn't know they nerfed that about brella in this patch. Still though, pretty solid build, I would suggest possibly some ink resistance, or even some more run speed. If you want to go back to about pre patch special charge values, I would just go with a main or so of special charge. That's if you want to spam ink storms.

For the mini build, I would say that you shouldn't invest so much into ink recovery, because the mini is pretty ink efficient anyway. But you should invest more into run speed, just because you go 9% faster while firing the splatling, which isn't super noticeable. I would probably go at least 15 or so percent, which is just 6 subs or so. Finally, the sub power up should probably go, for harassment at longer ranges, you have tenta missles that charge pretty quick because they're attached to one of the fastest painting weapons in the game.

Overall pretty good builds, just try to focus them into a specific role.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
I quite like this thread. I think it makes it easier for people to ask about gear setups without having to make a thread for one specific thing. "Should I use ink saver main with a SS Pro on a full moon against a pack of bears?"

Here's my Dualie setup. For the record, the Quick Respawns are a mistake. I will put more Sub Power Ups on the Gray Hoodie when I get more drinks.

Screenshot-2017-10-21 loadout ink - Stat Calculator + Gear Planner for Splatoon 2.png

gummy_B

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7405-0795-1117
i've been looking for a way to get some critique for my gear so ty for making the thread :3

n-zap gear.png

so this is what i have right now for my N-Zap. i'm trying to get one more run speed for the boots so i'm currently working on that. my main question is the shirt. the thermal ink is pretty helpful so i want to stick with it, but i'm not sure which ability to put on it. i feel like special charge up, ink recovery, quick respawn, or more run speed would be good but i'm really not sure

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Here's my Dualie setup. For the record, the Quick Respawns are a mistake. I will put more Sub Power Ups on the Gray Hoodie when I get more drinks.
Looks pretty solid to me. (I don't play dualies, and I have no idea how to play them so please don't call me out) Quick respawn can be viable on that build if you're going for paint support, but if you're trying to get into fights with that, I'd lay off the quick respawn too. I would say to incorporate some swim speed into this, but I don't know what I would sub out.

so this is what i have right now for my N-Zap. i'm trying to get one more run speed for the boots so i'm currently working on that. my main question is the shirt. the thermal ink is pretty helpful so i want to stick with it, but i'm not sure which ability to put on it. i feel like special charge up, ink recovery, quick respawn, or more run speed would be good but i'm really not sure
(Again, I don't play much N-Zap, so don't kill me please), but I think this build could use a bit more run speed. It's just what the N-Zap is known for and it's what sets it apart from other shooter weapons. Thermal ink could be interesting, but I don't know if you'll get much use with it because you need to be a set distance away from the opponent to get the benefits. You can ditch the main saver too, because the only time you should really be running out of ink with a weapon like the N-Zap is after throwing a bomb, which is why sub saver is here. For other perks, you're on the right track, definitely some special charge would be useful. Quick respawn can work with this weapon, if you play it like a support, and ink recovery is really only useful if you want to bomb spam.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
Looks pretty solid to me. (I don't play dualies, and I have no idea how to play them so please don't call me out) Quick respawn can be viable on that build if you're going for paint support, but if you're trying to get into fights with that, I'd lay off the quick respawn too. I would say to incorporate some swim speed into this, but I don't know what I would sub out.
I'm trying to go for a "versatile fighter" type build. I wanna be able to do my thing at close range, but be able to use burst bombs to harass targets at long range as well.

Most people would probably suggest I lay off Sub Power Up, but if I take anything off, it might be Ink Resistance. I admittedly don't fully agree with Ink Resistance for Dualies, since I can dodge roll out of enemy ink, but it's always recommended for Dualie builds. I agree with Swim Speed, especially since I mostly use Dualies in Rainmaker. The added speed would also help me push forward or retreat if needed.

Thanks for the suggestion.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
I admittedly don't fully agree with Ink Resistance for Dualies, since I can dodge roll out of enemy ink, but it's always recommended for Dualie builds.
Yeah I would probably take ink resistance off as well. Mostly because of the fact that you can throw a burst bomb on to your feet and quickly escape ink. But I forgot to mention one thing. You unfortunately need one more sub of ink saver sub to get 3 burst bombs from a full tank. Which will help you with your pressuring ability at range. It used to be just a pure to get 3 burst bombs in splat 1, but they nerfed ink saver sub for burst bombs a bit, so that's why the threshold is so weird.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
My Splat Brella gear setup, and I am working on the shoes. I'm considering trading the Object Shredder out for something, but I can't really decide. My only rule for critique is that I want to keep wearing glasses, and my Half Rim Glasses is :ability_inkresistance:/:ability_inkresistance::ability_inkresistance::ability_inkresistance:.

Attachments

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
I forgot to mention one thing. You unfortunately need one more sub of ink saver sub to get 3 burst bombs from a full tank. Which will help you with your pressuring ability at range. It used to be just a pure to get 3 burst bombs in splat 1, but they nerfed ink saver sub for burst bombs a bit, so that's why the threshold is so weird.
Actually I found a way to work around that. If you dip in your ink, and delay your throw just a little bit at first, you can throw three bombs. I admit you still can't fast toss them, but the slight delay shouldn't be too much of a detriment.

I made a video because I totally didn't want an excuse to use the new video capture feature.

My Splat Brella gear setup, and I am working on the shoes. I'm considering trading the Object Shredder out for something, but I can't really decide. My only rule for critique is that I want to keep wearing glasses, and my Half Rim Glasses is :ability_inkresistance:/:ability_inkresistance::ability_inkresistance::ability_inkresistance:.
I'm gonna attempt this. If anyone disagrees, set me straight. Otherwise I'll never learn. So DISCLAIMER: I'm still learning.

Glasses are fine. I recently learned that Swim Speed is helpful in keeping you alive. Not sure how ink hungry the Brella is, but the Ink Savers should still be helpful enough. Special Charge is nice, since I have seen Brellas get alot of turf covered with their special. I don't really agree with Object Shredder. The Brella's fire rate is too low to really make good use of it. For what to put in its place...I'm not sure. Bomb Defense? That'll help you tank hits a little better.

Last edited:

Mawnster

Inkling
NNID
Mawnstor
Switch Friend Code
SW-3511-3254-1051
That’s an okay build. I don’t think it’s quite focused enough yet though. A pure of scu is fine for sure, you’ll wanna focus on rain spam if you take those perks. Ssu is never bad but not what the brella wants. And obj is honestly a waste on the brella unless it’s in rainmaker. I’d say replace the shoes with a main of run speed up, and three subs of bdu. You’ll be amazed how much this can help your survivability particularly with the brella. Keep your scu pure as it’ll help with your spam strat. And the swim speed is fine, not what I would take personally, but if you like it a lot then don’t worry. And last bit, try and get another sub of ism on them, ism not only helps you take more shots but reduces the consumption when shielding too.

For reference I run 19p of run speed, ism and bdu each in my brella build and I love it. Wouldn’t change it all.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
I'm gonna attempt this. If anyone disagrees, set me straight. Otherwise I'll never learn. So DISCLAIMER: I'm still learning.

Glasses are fine. I recently learned that Swim Speed is helpful in keeping you alive. Not sure how ink hungry the Brella is, but the Ink Savers should still be helpful enough. Special Charge is nice, since I have seen Brellas get alot of turf covered with their special. I don't really agree with Object Shredder. The Brella's fire rate is too low to really make good use of it. For what to put in its place...I'm not sure. Bomb Defense? That'll help you tank hits a little better.
That’s an okay build. I don’t think it’s quite focused enough yet though. A pure of scu is fine for sure, you’ll wanna focus on rain spam if you take those perks. Ssu is never bad but not what the brella wants. And obj is honestly a waste on the brella unless it’s in rainmaker. I’d say replace the shoes with a main of run speed up, and three subs of bdu. You’ll be amazed how much this can help your survivability particularly with the brella. Keep your scu pure as it’ll help with your spam strat. And the swim speed is fine, not what I would take personally, but if you like it a lot then don’t worry. And last bit, try and get another sub of ism on them, ism not only helps you take more shots but reduces the consumption when shielding too.

For reference I run 19p of run speed, ism and bdu each in my brella build and I love it. Wouldn’t change it all.
I was think BDU, but bombs explode on impact to the Brella Shield, so couldn't I just open the Brella before it explodes or hits the ground?

Mawnster

Inkling
NNID
Mawnstor
Switch Friend Code
SW-3511-3254-1051
I was think BDU, but bombs explode on impact to the Brella Shield, so couldn't I just open the Brella before it explodes or hits the ground?
Remember it is not just bombs that bdu defends against. It also reduces the damage of all specials. And for most specials you aren’t going to be holding the shield up to defend, cus the damage is to high and to quick to kill. Bdu helps increase your marginally survivability in such chaotic situations.

And overall with the brella, you need to focus on survivability more then your killing power. The majority of your value comes from insane ink output and frequent inkstorms. When you die, you can’t ink as often and it reduces your special gauge, this makes it the biggest threat to your weapons value. In order to prevent that from happpeing you what to choose perks that will make you more defensive or evavsive.

Quiana

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-4640-8314-4331
There's also the fact that bomb defense ups do not actually reduce how much damage the shield takes, only you. If you're shielding, you'll want to avoid BDUs and replace with something more useful, like run or recovery. Even with the brella nerf in 1.4 to special cost, you'll get an average of 5-6 clouds easy in good matches with only a main and three sub special charge ups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom