• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Dead Thread - Pls lck or smthng

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mondrae205

Senior Squid
But I dislike squicks, it sounds so unnatural and like we are trying too hard to be different. Although if everyone likes it then I guess I will use the term

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
It's not. You must not be involved in the Fighting Game Community, because literally every competitive fighting game (Tekken, Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, Marvel, etc.) all use the term "tech". I don't know why you have an agenda against the competitive Smash, but using tech in Splatoon is perfectly fine and not forcing it. It's used among other competitive communities and seeing as this community is going to be made up largely of Smash players (Squidboards even being linked to Smashboards) it's common sense that people will try to carry over the term.
Its also used in the Mario Kart 8 community. #nerffrogging

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
You guys do realize what squick means, right?
v. To shock with outrageous behavior.

Shock them with your mad skills though.

But I dislike squicks, it sounds so unnatural and like we are trying too hard to be different. Although if everyone likes it then I guess I will use the term
Well, if someone can come up with something better, then by all means, go for it.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
There are techs, then there are glitches.
Indeed. Additionally, not all glitches are techs, and not all techs are glitches.

There are tricks and stuff in most games, competitive or not and I doubt Splatoon is the exception. That said, the name "tech" is really really lame and it brings with it the image of some of the worst aspects of the Smash Bros competitive community. I think it would be interesting if tricks and strategies in Splatoon had a different name. Perhaps some punny name, since the game is filled with puns.
I think you mean an aspect of the community you don't like. There is nothing inherently bad about the portion of the community that uses techs. And a pretty big portion of the people interested in competitive splatoon are coming from that part of the community.

A lot of people here came from the Smashboards, so after years of playing Smash, hearing the word tech brings up a whole different meaning for them. But I do agree for the most part that technique can be used anywhere, but we might as well have fun with the squid puns and make our own jargon. =P
But specifically negative? There's nothing negative about the word tech.

I just don't understand why the word "tech" has to be used since it is only a term used in the smash community. And techs were not meant to be in the game, L canceling wasn't meant to give less landing lag than usual, it was used to air dodge and shield. I have no problem with the "history" of the word tech in the smash community, just with how if was only used in the smash bros series.
Like DigDeep said, tech is used in several communities out side smash. Also l cancelling was meant to do exactly what it did. There was no mistake about it.

So in short, it sound like you guys' arguments are a collection of "I don't like the smash community" and, like Mondrae said, "Let's be special snowflakes".
I have no problem using another word for tech, but we should probably have a good reason for it. If people from other communities try and join ours, they're going to wonder why we not just calling them what pretty much every other competitive community in the world calls them, and if they find out that's the reason, we could easily develop a reputation, as a bunch of "le edge" 13 year olds, which is bad for our community.

It seems a little too early to start coming up with all these techs. I mean we've had access to the game for less than 24 hours at one hour periods, I think we should wait a bit before calling all this stuff 'advanced tech'. d:
It's probably early for the word advanced, but a technique is a technique. When it's discovered has nothing to do with that fact. Saying it's too early is like if you started digging for fossils, found one almost immediately, but then decided to hold off on stating whether or not it's fossil because it's so early in the dig.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think you mean an aspect of the community you don't like. There is nothing inherently bad about the portion of the community that uses techs. And a pretty big portion of the people interested in competitive splatoon are coming from that part of the community.
That is what you are saying. Don't put words in my posts.

Oh and by the way, I never said there is anything wrong with using techs. I said the word brings the image of the worst aspects of the Smash community. Like you or not, the Smash community is extremely toxic and I'd hate to see the Splatoon community becoming similar to it.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
But specifically negative? There's nothing negative about the word tech.
I agree. Unfortunately, most people don't want to agree to that, because Smash. Not only that, but people have a different idea on what a tech is. Some people are more into the fighting game mindset, because Smash. Which is a rather poor excuse. If we call it a technique,. then fine, it is what it is. But if other people want other things, then we'll adopt and adapt to it. It all depends on whether or not people want to use the word tech, and for many, it isn't flying right with them.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
That is what you are saying. Don't put words in my posts.

Oh and by the way, I never said there is anything wrong with using techs. I said the word brings the image of the worst aspects of the Smash community. Like you or not, the Smash community is extremely toxic and I'd hate to see the Splatoon community becoming similar to it.
I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, sorry if it came off that way. That's just what it seemed like what you were saying. Thus why i said "I think" at the beginning of my post.
And I do still stand by that reasoning, since you've failed to say how this creates definite negative imagery of the smash community.
Inn fact I'd like to know what you think is toxic about the smash community. if you're going to make accusations you should back them up. Also because like I said before, there a re a lot of smash players getting into splatoon. Like it or not, you're going to be rubbing shoulders with members of that community very frequently.

I agree. Unfortunately, most people don't want to agree to that, because Smash. Not only that, but people have a different idea on what a tech is. Some people are more into the fighting game mindset, because Smash. Which is a rather poor excuse. If we call it a technique,. then fine, it is what it is. But if other people want other things, then we'll adopt and adapt to it. It all depends on whether or not people want to use the word tech, and for many, it isn't flying right with them.
I still think it's a bad idea to change a name because part of our community doesn't like another community. Especially when a large chunk of the our community is coming from that community. First of all it could create a feud with a community that is MUCH bigger and more influential than ours. Second of all it could stop more people from that community joining ours, which is terrible since it's one of the (if not the) biggest feeder communities we have. Third of all it can create tension between people in our own community.
I'm with you in not being attached to the word tech, I just don't want to change for stupid reasons. Even if the reason is by popular demand.

Sorry for double post btw

Last edited by a moderator:

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
I agree with WhydrA that it may be too early for the word "advanced" but techniques are still techniques regardless of how complicated they are.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Cmon guys dont turn this into the melee community.
*Part of the melee community.
And the Melee community doesn't infight, or try to tell people to stop discovering tech lol. Thus why they've managed to be the most successful grassroots competitive community of all time.

Endymion

Pro Squid
NNID
Endymion0
*Part of the melee community.
And the Melee community doesn't infight, or try to tell people to stop discovering tech lol. Thus why they've managed to be the most successful grassroots competitive community of all time.
If by successful you mean most looked down upon for their immature elitism and refusal to move on from a 13 year old game then sure.
I don't know what world you live in where you've played in melee and have never encountered any jerks but it sure as hell ain't this planet. Splatoon doesn't need it's community torn apart like Smash all because some elitists wanna be special snowflakes above others.

On another note, I think Squicks would be a lovely term since "tricks" methinks goes in line with the street lingo of Splatoon moreso than "techs".

Azure J

Inkster Jr.
NNID
AzureJay89
Can't believe anyone would actually have a problem with either attempts at discovering tricks or little techniques to share with the player base or the name "techs" (as in techniques) as a catch all for everything found. I call every little bit of knowledge I glean from games tech when it applies and works out well. Tech even goes hand in hand with the fun concept of "going to the lab" to learn something new or practice an aspect of a game.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
If by successful you mean most looked down upon for their immature elitism and refusal to move on from a 13 year old game then sure.
I don't know what world you live in where you've played in melee and have never encountered any jerks but it sure as hell ain't this planet. Splatoon doesn't need it's community torn apart like Smash all because some elitists wanna be special snowflakes above others.

On another note, I think Squicks would be a lovely term since "tricks" methinks goes in line with the street lingo of Splatoon moreso than "techs".
They're only "looked down upon" by casual players outside the community. Who have no actual experience in the community. And are themselves being elitist about their playstyle. In fact they're being worse elitists since at least people in the smash community have made an informed decision. They've play smash both casually and competitively, and decided they like competitively more. Casuals have only played casually, and still insist their way is the "correct" way.

Also how is playing a game for 13 years a bad thing? Does this mean we should look down on speed run communities? It's still common to speed run both Ocarina of Time and Mario 64. Both are older than melee. It just mean the game is great and community still wants to be able to enjoy it. I personally own and still play melee, brawl, smash 4 and project m, and I would do the same for 64 if I've could. Why would you make up a rule where you have to ditch a game you love because it's "too old". Fun doesn't have an expiration date.

The Smash community has its problems, that much is true, but so does every other competitive community, without exception. However the community is not nearly as divided as you've been told, and it's something that they're trying to talk out and work on frequently. Smash wouldn't have gotten as far as it has if they couldn't work together. Also it's very important to note that their biggest point of contention was purposely crafted by the series creator (he's essentially admitted it), in an attempt to destroy the community. This is something we probably won't have to deal with, and thank goodness for that.

What I'm saying is we'd be lucky to have our community turn out like smashes. They have a game that is not only one of the most fun, free flowing games in the world, but also one of the most competitive and successful. They did it all without any support from Nintendo.They have no ill will towards any other community, meaning any community that dislikes them, does so on their own, usually because the game is "kiddy" and "not a true fighter".
These are things we will have to deal with. Theese are things that will be incredibly tough to deal with. Therefore it would be incredibly foolish to not at least reference how the smash community moved past these things, because other communities that have had the same problems have died because of them, and that's something we can all (hopefully) agree noone wants to happen to us. I think we all just want to enjoy playing splatton together for as long as possible, and the fact is the smash community is one our best resources to make sure things turn out that way.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Again, people are missing the point that Super Smash Bros. and Splatoon are very different games.
Perhaps, in how they play, but as it been stated several times now, techs is a term used across all sorts of competitive communities describe just this sort of thing.
Also they may play differently, but we will encounter many of the same challenges the smash community has had. Splatoon is to shooters as smash is to fighters.

FlareHabanero

Increases the Excitement
Perhaps, in how they play, but as it been stated several times now, techs is a term used across all sorts of competitive communities describe just this sort of thing.

The only time I've heard of a tech being used is the fighting game community. Other genres don't even have a ukemi mechanic at all.

WydrA

Inkling Commander

The only time I've heard of a tech being used is the fighting game community. Other genres don't even have a ukemi mechanic at all.
Mario kart definitely uses tech. I think some other racing communities do as well i think. It's not common as common in shooters because most shooters don't really have much tech. If they do it's just one or two so people just the tech by their names.
I didn't play TF2 much but I wouldn't be surprised if they called rocket jumping a tech.
Yep just googled it: In first-person shooter computer and video games, rocket jumping is the technique...

FlareHabanero

Increases the Excitement
Mario kart definitely uses tech. I think some other racing communities do as well i think. It's not common as common in shooters because most shooters don't really have much tech. If they do it's just one or two so people just the tech by their names.
I didn't play TF2 much but I wouldn't be surprised if they called rocket jumping a tech.
Yep just googled it: In first-person shooter computer and video games, rocket jumping is the technique...
Alright, now give me an example of a ukemi.

Because you're really insistent with techs and yet you keep dodging the question.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Alright, now give me an example of a ukemi.

Because you're really insistent with techs and yet you keep dodging the question.
? Ukemi is just a type of technique. Techs is just one of it's alternate names.
In other words, all ukemi/techs are techniques, but not all techniques are ukemi/techs.
I don't even know why ukemi is sometimes called teching, but I've never seen it used in the long form "technique" only ever tech, so it might not even mean technique.
It's confusing causetey're both called tech, but they have completely different meanings.
If it helps, Ukemi is a verb (you speaking of teching something (i totally tech'd his dair), tech is a noun (I found a new tech(nique)).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom