• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Dead Thread - Pls lck or smthng

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endymion

Pro Squid
NNID
Endymion0
They're only "looked down upon" by casual players outside the community.
Really. Both competitive and casual players realize Nintendo characters aren't meant to twitch at high speeds to win. The fact you went straight to the "It's only casuals that don't like us" card shows you think just like all the other elitists. "You just don't like us because we are better than you." That's the kind of mindset that promotes contention between gamers everywhere.

Fun doesn't have an expiration date.
Explain why we don't have recess after elementary school then, or why new games are being made everyday that are so similar to prior games yet the small improvements validate giving them your time because they deserve it. I don't play Smash because Sakurai deserves it. I think he's a biased prick. I play it because of the love I have for Nintendo. Something elitists forget and just think about hitboxes and how to be a special snowflake.

The Smash community has its problems, that much is true, but so does every other competitive community, without exception. However the community is not nearly as divided as you've been told, and it's something that they're trying to talk out and work on frequently. Smash wouldn't have gotten as far as it has if they couldn't work together. Also it's very important to note that their biggest point of contention was purposely crafted by the series creator (he's essentially admitted it), in an attempt to destroy the community. This is something we probably won't have to deal with, and thank goodness for that.

I'm well aware Sakurai is a prick, but blaming him for how the community became is like blaming religion/God instead of the extremists/fanatics for the wars that took place in Europe. People always find something else to blame to avoid bringing guilt upon themselves. They turned melee into something Sakurai and every real nintendo fan didn't want. If he wanted to really destroy the community, he would have stopped making Smash games period. He wanted to reform it into a balanced game, something that has high potential to be accomplished in Smash 4 with patches and DLC, though it still has a long way to go. Lashing out and showing how butthurt you guys are by making project M in an attempt to make a competitive balanced game didn't help your case at all either.

What I'm saying is we'd be lucky to have our community turn out like smashes.

Splatoon deserves a better community. A MUCH better community. Sakurai had no part of it's development so therefore it's already off to a good start.

Setu

If by successful you mean most looked down upon for their immature elitism and refusal to move on from a 13 year old game then sure.
I don't know what world you live in where you've played in melee and have never encountered any jerks but it sure as hell ain't this planet. Splatoon doesn't need it's community torn apart like Smash all because some elitists wanna be special snowflakes above others.

On another note, I think Squicks would be a lovely term since "tricks" methinks goes in line with the street lingo of Splatoon moreso than "techs".
Thank you, sir. Although, every community has toxic members, including this one, and most of these members, are in fact, from the smash community, seems weird doesn't it? And the word "tech" has only been used as gaming jargon in fighting games. I have come from both the smash community and the Mario kart community, and tech is only used widely on smash. Rocket jumping isn't widely referred to as a "tech", so showing a definition of it(not even sure how official) is not evidence of this. I didn't want this community to become the smash community like a lot of people do(probably because the majority of smash players haven't played many other games competitively, if any)for some reason... And I'm sorry for all of the negativity but I'm just not seeing any reason and/or organization whatsoever with the majority of this forum, especially when I see 4 threads talking about "squidteching", "splatdashing", or any other similar term that refers to the same exact thing. In reality, these "techniques" are just the simple mechanics of this game, and are not at all difficult to find or perform, since they were found within the second hour of the demo. Also, the point of this thread wasn't to put others down, but merely to inflict some reason/doubt into this community, before it turns into Smashtoon.

Endymion

Pro Squid
NNID
Endymion0
Thank you, sir. Although, every community has toxic members, including this one, and most of these members, are in fact, from the smash community, seems weird doesn't it? And the word "tech" has only been used as gaming jargon in fighting games. I have come from both the smash community and the Mario kart community, and tech is only used widely on smash. Rocket jumping isn't widely referred to as a "tech", so showing a definition of it(not even sure how official) is not evidence of this. I didn't want this community to become the smash community like a lot of people do(probably because the majority of smash players haven't played many other games competitively, if any)for some reason... And I'm sorry for all of the negativity but I'm just not seeing any reason and/or organization whatsoever with the majority of this forum, especially when I see 4 threads talking about "squidteching", "splatdashing", or any other similar term that refers to the same exact thing. In reality, these "techniques" are just the simple mechanics of this game, and are not at all difficult to find or perform, since they were found within the second hour of the demo. Also, the point of this thread wasn't to put others down, but merely to inflict some reason/doubt into this community, before it turns into Smashtoon.
Well said.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I just don't understand why the word "tech" has to be used since it is only a term used in the smash community. And techs were not meant to be in the game, L canceling wasn't meant to give less landing lag than usual, it was used to air dodge and shield. I have no problem with the "history" of the word tech in the smash community, just with how if was only used in the smash bros series.
No, L-cancelling is an official thing Sakurai added that cut landing lag in half. In smash 64 at least, the official term was "smooth landing" which is why we have a smash 4 badge with that name that cuts landing lag.

This entire thread gives me a "So what?" vibe.

Examples:

So what if we use a term Smash uses?
So what if we call things techs that aren't the at complex or advanced like splathopping and the like? Tech is an easy to understand for this type of thing.

Really forcing ourselves to be different from smash isn't going to solve anything either. It is all going to just keep causing fights like this.

Even if smash's doesn't completely work, it still works. Even if we have to shape and mold it into our own desire.

Endymion

Pro Squid
NNID
Endymion0

Examples:

So what if we call things techs that aren't the at complex or advanced like splathopping and the like? Tech is an easy to understand for this type of thing.

Really forcing ourselves to be different from smash isn't going to solve anything either. It is all going to just keep causing fights like this.

Even if smash's doesn't completely work, it still works. Even if we have to shape and mold it into our own desire.
I have no issue with using Smash terms, but if we do use smash terms it may seem like we are trying to turn this into the next melee/call of duty, something I'm sure a great portion of the community wants to avoid. Splatoon is pretty dang original. I'm all up for original lingo for the game. I think it deserves it. So what if we are trying to be different?
"They laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at them because they are all the same."

Burgundy Blade

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SuperSableye24
"Tech" is literally the shortened form of "Technique". We shouldn't be acting like the term is exclusive to Smash. I'm pretty sure that if we wanted to we could describe literally anything in this game as a "Tech".

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I have no issue with using Smash terms, but if we do use smash terms it may seem like we are trying to turn this into the next melee/call of duty, something I'm sure a great portion of the community wants to avoid.
This doesn't address the issue that calling stuff "tech" still works. And if by turing into the next one of those you mean "competitive" then I mean thats just a natural thing communities like this become. If you don't mean that, then enlighten me.

Also, what hasn't been address is why we can't just change the word "tech" to suit our needs.

Even if a "tech" didn't refer to a specific thing you do to help improve your gameplay, (even though it totally does), we can change it to suddenly mean that for our splatoon community. So we can still have things like Splathopping.

Undr

I know this is the internet, but let's consider letting this thread die. There was some legitimacy to the initial post but now it's divulged into something that actually IS toxic. Nothing good can come from this discussion at this point.

Setu

I know this is the internet, but let's consider letting this thread die. There was some legitimacy to the initial post but now it's divulged into something that actually IS toxic. Nothing good can come from this discussion at this point.
Nice opinion! I like the input! Now, lets get back into conversation about whether or not we should pull most of the terms/attitudes from smash or not, since that was the original purpose.

No, L-cancelling is an official thing Sakurai added that cut landing lag in half. In smash 64 at least, the official term was "smooth landing" which is why we have a smash 4 badge with that name that cuts landing lag.

Examples:

Using the logic that we may as well turn this game into a shooter form of smash bros because it "works" is not sufficient whatsoever. Clearly we have seen people who disagree that the smash community itself "works".

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Setu isn't this like the 3rd thread you've made about this general topic.
There's nothing wrong with calling something a tech, especially since its short for technique, we can come up with our own term or whatever later on, relax, we're learning new stuff.

Anyway Smash=/=Splatoon
The worst thing that can happen is us ending up like how Smash did with a huge divide and everyone looking down on someone else. Luckily that's impossible since Smash's issues are deep rooted thanks to Melee peeps not wanting to move on/support the new game. Basically @Endymion has the right idea.

As well as @Undr , just let this thread die out lmao

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Nice opinion! I like the input! Now, lets get back into conversation about whether or not we should pull most of the terms/attitudes from smash or not, since that was the original purpose.

Using the logic that we may as well turn this game into a shooter form of smash bros because it "works" is not sufficient whatsoever. Clearly we have seen people who disagree that the smash community itself "works".
Whether or not smash works as a whole is irrelevant to whether the word "tech" works or not. Not to mention you need to explain what you mean by "people who disagree the smash community itself "works."" That statement can mean way too many things.

Also, you have yet to explain why the word "tech" doesn't work. Especially with how I mentioned before how Techniques have nothing to do with glitches (and you didn't counter that point), and even if the definition wasn't "a specific thing you do to play better," we could always change it to mean that for Splatoon.

Lastly, what else would we call them then? It would need to be convenient, easy to say, etc.
There's nothing wrong with calling something a tech, especially since its short for technique, we can come up with our own term or whatever later on, relax, we're learning new stuff.

Anyway Smash=/=Splatoon
The worst thing that can happen is us ending up like how Smash did with a huge divide and everyone looking down on someone else. Luckily that's impossible since Smash's issues are deep rooted thanks to Melee peeps not wanting to move on/support the new game. Basically @Endymion has the right idea.

I think the ultimate problems in this thread are two things.

1. Misinformation. (Saying techs are only glitches, saying only Smash uses the the word tech).

2. Assumption (Implying anyone who is in favor of the use of the word tech is trying to make this into smash 2.0. I'm certainly not. Tech is just the best word for it).

Setu

The original intentions of this thread were to get people to stop believing that the simple game mechanics are "techs". I'm fine with this thread dying since it's clear that none of the intended audience were present... Thank you for guys for all of the input/time, and everyone who understands that this game should not be Smashtoon. If I had a way to lock this thread, I would. Please lock @staff

WydrA

Inkling Commander
  1. You are the most toxic member I've seen in this community so far to be perfectly honest. You just made a thread basically getting mad at people for what they're calling things and attacking a community that a big portion of members are from creating two pages of drama. That is the definition of toxicity.
  2. It has already been proved countless times tech in not just used for fighting games.
  3. The only people who wouldn't want our community to become like the smash community are people who have never been a part of it. How can you say you do't want the community to become something you don't even know about in the first place? That's ridiculous and unproductive and wastes everyone's time.
  4. Squiddashing and squidteching are not even nearly the same thing.
  5. Don't apologize for the negativity and then continue to be negative. That just makes your apology worthless since you obviously don't mean it.
  6. How quickly you find a fossil doesn't change the fact it's a fossil.
  7. Getting a community to doubt itself this early on is very rarely a good thing.

Anyway Smash=/=Splatoon

I was with you until you started talking about the smash community. The division comes from sakurai. The melee community does want to support new games, thus why Project M was made.
Also the divide, as I've said before is Sakurai's fault.

I have no issue with using Smash terms, but if we do use smash terms it may seem like we are trying to turn this into the next melee/call of duty, something I'm sure a great portion of the community wants to avoid. Splatoon is pretty dang original. I'm all up for original lingo for the game. I think it deserves it. So what if we are trying to be different?
"They laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at them because they are all the same."
You are literally making posting saying we shouldn't use smash terms because they because they reference the smash community. I don't know who you're trying to fool saying you don't have a problem with them...
If you don't want this game to turn into the next melee, don't look at the competitive boards. I'm not saying that to attack you or insult you, but that's the reality. this is what competitive looks like. As has been stated several times tech is a term used across all competitive communities, no matter how unique the game is because it's standard. That's like saying we shouldn't call splatoon a video game, let's call it a "Squideo Game" because video games have negative aspects and we don't want to be associated with that.
So as you can see, there is something wrong with trying to be special. You know tat one kid who makes all these long posts on facebook about how creative they and special they are and how they don't need no man because no one appreciate their inner beauty blah blah blah? That's what happens when you purposely try to be special.
We will have our own niche because the game has it's own niche. We don't need to force anything.

I'm really getting the impression that this is many of you's first competitive community you've been a part of.
"Why are we calling things tech" is something you'd never see asked in any other competitive game.
You know what concerns me about this games future much more than people calling things techs? The there are THIS many people trying to talk trash and create a feud with a community they've never been a part of this early on in our games development.
Why does this matter to you? If you think this stuff is easy or common sense, just ignore it, and then you can save your complaining/leaving of the community for when people start to beat you with it when the game is released.

If you read nothing else read this: I'm all for the closing of this thread. But not because it's "over", or dead" as it's clearly not. Because this whole argument has moved beyond being incredibly stupid, it's moved into plugging ears and shouting "lalalalalala". Or sorry, I meant posting gifs about being "done" because you don't actually have any solid reasoning behind your loud objections. Oh and then immaturely renaming the thread for the same reason.
Like it or not, the people who are finding techs are at least actually having constructive, mature, interesting discussions, and none of you are. All you're doing is whining and creating unnecessary drama that is negative and harming our community.

Setu

1. You are the most toxic member I've seen in this community so far to be perfectly honest. You just made a thread basically getting mad at people for what they're calling things and attacking a community that a big portion of members are from creating two pages of drama. That is the definition of toxicity.
  2. It has already been proved countless times tech in not just used for fighting games.
  3. The only people who wouldn't want our community to become like the smash community are people who have never been a part of it. How can you say you do't want the community to become something you don't even know about in the first place? That's ridiculous and unproductive and wastes everyone's time.
  4. Squiddashing and squidteching are not even nearly the same thing.
  5. Don't apologize for the negativity and then continue to be negative. That just makes your apology worthless since you obviously don't mean it.
  6. How quickly you find a fossil doesn't change the fact it's a fossil.
  7. Getting a community to doubt itself this early on is very rarely a good thing.

I was with you until you started talking about the smash community. The division comes from sakurai. The melee community does want to support new games, thus why Project M was made.
Also the divide, as I've said before is Sakurai's fault.

You are literally making posting saying we shouldn't use smash terms because they because they reference the smash community. I don't know who you're trying to fool saying you don't have a problem with them...
If you don't want this game to turn into the next melee, don't look at the competitive boards. I'm not saying that to attack you or insult you, but that's the reality. this is what competitive looks like. As has been stated several times tech is a term used across all competitive communities, no matter how unique the game is because it's standard. That's like saying we shouldn't call splatoon a video game, let's call it a "Squideo Game" because video games have negative aspects and we don't want to be associated with that.
So as you can see, there is something wrong with trying to be special. You know tat one kid who makes all these long posts on facebook about how creative they and special they are and how they don't need no man because no one appreciate their inner beauty blah blah blah? That's what happens when you purposely try to be special.
We will have our own niche because the game has it's own niche. We don't need to force anything.

I'm really getting the impression that this is many of you's first competitive community you've been a part of.
"Why are we calling things tech" is something you'd never see asked in any other competitive game.
You know what concerns me about this games future much more than people calling things techs? The there are THIS many people trying to talk trash and create a feud with a community they've never been a part of this early on in our games development.
Why does this matter to you? If you think this stuff is easy or common sense, just ignore it, and then you can save your complaining/leaving of the community for when people start to beat you with it when the game is released.

If you read nothing else read this: I'm all for the closing of this thread. But not because it's "over", or dead" as it's clearly not. Because this whole argument has moved beyond being incredibly stupid, it's moved into plugging ears and shouting "lalalalalala". Or sorry, I meant posting gifs about being "done" because you don't actually have any solid reasoning behind your loud objections. Oh and then immaturely renaming the thread for the same reason.
Like it or not, the people who are finding techs are at least actually having constructive, mature, interesting discussions, and none of you are. All you're doing is whining and creating unnecessary drama that is negative and harming our community.
I lol'd. First of all there are too many fallacies in this post to even count, namely attacking my personality/experience over actually giving points and opinions. Second of all, I don't waste my time EVEN CLOSE to the extent that you do, quite sad, actually, also toxic. I could easily counter everything you said by defending any other competitive community that people here are from. Smash bros isn't the only competitive game out in the huge world of gaming. Clearly you are letting ad hominem get the best of you over actually giving legitimate statements in you quest to defend the super smash bros community. I never said there was anything wrong with the smash community, even if I do have experience in the smash bros community, as previously stated. I just stated that taking factors/terminology from a fighting game is completely psychopathic, whether it be from smash bros or any other game. "I'm really getting the impression that this is many of you's first competitive community you've been a part of." Okay, this is completely wrong. Many of the people in this community are in the community because of the potential they have seen in the game, since they have experienced other gaming that they may find having less potential, instead of just finding out that Squidboards is linked to Smashboards, so "what the heck, may as well use all of my time writing incredibly long messages to try to portray my dominance, instead of actually PLAYING the game". Also, idgaf if "squidteching" and "splatdashing" are "techs" or not, they both use the simple and easy mechanics of the game that were shown at E3. Also I wouldn't be surprised if you have only come from the smash community as that is the only community you are defending.

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
can we just end this discussion while we wait for the thread to be locked? everyone seems to want it locked after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom