• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Discussing Inkling/Octoling Biology

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
Huh... well, I was already under the impression that the ink extends into another dimension, I just didn't (and still probably don't) really understand string theory. The occam's razor quote was about the splatting.

...But don't the octarians also use ink? Does their ink not manipulate them? It looks like it has the same properties...

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
...Or are the octarians just too attractive to manipulate because they're purple?

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I don't think we've quite figured out to what extent the Inklings and Octarians are related. I'm guessing the devs were thinking separate species that underwent convergent evolution, which seems most likely. Doesn't quite explain the Octolings, though.

Actually, given how diverse the Octarians are, I'd want to look into how they're all related.

TeaBee

Inkster Jr.
NNID
BuzzyTeaBee
I don't think we've quite figured out to what extent the Inklings and Octarians are related. I'm guessing the devs were thinking separate species that underwent convergent evolution, which seems most likely. Doesn't quite explain the Octolings, though.

Actually, given how diverse the Octarians are, I'd want to look into how they're all related.
I wonder if the Octarians drink tea since they have those kettles. They probably wouldn't invite the inklings to a tea party. I'd make a Civil War joke, but I can't think of one for this.

Ametrine

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ferrethugger98
Okay! Lemme talk about squid height. With Judd being around, it's safe to assume inklings are shorter than humans. But how much shorter exactly?
There's a sunken scroll saying that inklings can leap five feet. I'm gonna assume it means five feet in length and not height, since an inkling can jump over another inkling, meaning inklings are actually human sized, which doesn't really make sense when you take Judd into account. The sunken scroll was written by an octoling, and I think the octos would assume squid form would work similarily to their octo form (plus I made a few calculations with squids jumping from ink and came to the conclusion that inklings would logically be smaller than even Judd, which again is contradicted by Judd himself), so I'm gonna assume they talk about humanoid form inklings.
Given the inkling is in motion on beforehand, an inkling can cross one section of the training room. That means one section of the training room is five feet. I can't say this for sure, but if my mind isnt messing with me, it can be safe to assume that one section of the training room is roughly the length of two inklings' height, meaning inklings are on average 2 and a half feet tall.
Now to squid form! Without tentacles, squid inklings are the same length as the width of an uncharged squiffer shot. You can fit five and a half uncharged squiffer shots, width wise, in a section. I'm too lazy to calculate the exact numbers, but that would mean a squid form inkling is, on average, 1.25 feet long with tentacles and 0.75 feet long without tentacles.

This is mostly based on very rough assumptions by someone who mainly uses the metric system and isn't even that good at math in the first place, so take this with a grain of salt.

R2D221

Senior Squid
NNID
R2D221
meaning inklings are on average 2 and a half feet tall
Interesting that you reached a similar conclusion to mine, even when you took a different approach. I think it's no coincidence, and it was an intentional design decision from Nintendo.

But also keep in mind that we're measuring the kids. The Squid Sisters, who are adults, are taller than them.

R2D221

Senior Squid
NNID
R2D221
I don't have a direct source. The wiki states they're at least 17, which is cited from a Splatune article, apparently, but I couldn't find it where exactly it says that.

But we can speculate. Callie mentions failing her driving test, which means she had to be old enough to take the test in the first place. If Inkopolis is modeled after Japan, we can assume it has similar laws, and according to this article, the minimum driving age is 18.

Now, legally, adulthood in Japan is since 20, so that would still leave uncertain whether the Squid Sisters are adults or not, but they're definitely at least 4 years older than playable Inklings.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I don't have a direct source. The wiki states they're at least 17, which is cited from a Splatune article, apparently, but I couldn't find it where exactly it says that.

But we can speculate. Callie mentions failing her driving test, which means she had to be old enough to take the test in the first place. If Inkopolis is modeled after Japan, we can assume it has similar laws, and according to this article, the minimum driving age is 18.

Now, legally, adulthood in Japan is since 20, so that would still leave uncertain whether the Squid Sisters are adults or not, but they're definitely at least 4 years older than playable Inklings.
Okay, that makes sense! Yes, Japanese society is generally a reliable model for "how things work" in Splatoon, so I'll buy that they're at least 18 due to the driving test quip. Thanks for explaining!

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
I'll admit I resisted the inklings being small at first, but it actually does make far more sense, given that Inklings lack bony skeletons.

Still doesn't explain scroll #15, but that scroll can probably be ignored due to the great deal of evidence for small inklings.

Based on what I remember of captain cuttlefish, perhaps adult inklings are around 3 feet?

Somebody ought to bring in a screenshot.

Edit: Actually, Black_Zero already mentioned that Sunken Scroll #15 might feature some hyper mini cat. Or maybe it's just photo-shopped.

Last edited:

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
Of course, It's also possible that the sizes shown in game might not be entirely correct due to stylization. As of now, we have nothing else to go on, so all calculations should be based on the game, but I though I'd at least bring up the possibility.

Ott

Inkster Jr.
Y'all are forgetting that Judd always seems to stand. When cats are standing, they are taller when starting than they are sitting. Judd is only about the height of an inkling's feet to their waist. My cat only goes up to my thigh, and I'm at the average US adult height, 5 feet, 7 inches.

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
Well, given that Judd is likely a genetically modified cat, the sizing may be inconsistent with the cats we know... After all- even ignoring the ancient sunken scroll depicting what looks like an Egyptian art style, Judd must be over 100 years old, as he was in the great turf war.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Decided to read over this thread for a couple or so weeks. Here are two things I'm curious about, fan speculation-wise or otherwise, yet may have already been touched on elsewhere momentarily:
  • How prehensile are their "hair" tentacles? Can they perform simple actions (like scratching your head) if not complex ones with them (such as handling a phone)? I'm of the opinion that they're often portrayed as limp simply because they're not in use at a given moment.
  • Which form is a more natural state for them in their private lives, when they're behind closed doors or at rest?

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
As to the first: I suppose it's better to just repost what I'd said about this earlier in the thread:
I wondered this myself. For that to be possible... well, I imagine they'd require some serious muscles (mussels?) to provide the power that such prehensility at that size requires. Closest analogues I can think of are insect wings and (to a lesser extent) monkey tails.

Now that I think of it, even if the Inklings were strong enough to move their tentacles in kid form, I have my doubts about how well they could actually use them. Look at the tentacular club: it only has a single large sucker. Good for sticking onto walls and grabbing things, I guess, but is it as effective as the multiple smaller suckers that real-world squid possess?
So far as head-scratching goes, I'd assume it's possible if they have the necessary muscles in their tentacles, and I can agree that them being mostly limp isn't quite a damning strike against that possibility. But I don't think they can do much with them beyond that unless their clubs have more suckers than what the game indicates (which isn't at all likely). Personally I'd sooner expect them to be used to *****-slap fools rather than carry stuff around.
...suddenly I've got a mental image of an Inkling with a gun in each hand and tentacle. An awesomely scary idea...

As to the second: Based on how the Inkling's house/apartment looks like on the startup screen, I'd guess they stick to their kid form when at home/asleep.

(God, how I miss this topic...)

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
The inklings, when not submerged in ink, are faster in kid form. Since they probably don't have the biological resources to spit ink 24-7, kid form is much more efficient.

Not to mention that we humans have one of the most energy efficient walks on the planet. Since kid form resembles us, the inklings get that energy efficient walk too.

Of course, I believe it was stated earlier that remaining in squid form for too long might be unhealthy, or even dangerous for an inkling because of how the organs are squished into a smaller space. On the flop side, however, we have already agreed that inkling ink can expand space time to create a sort of pocket dimension, so this may not apply.

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
As for the tentacles, the Tuckers on the ends are much too big and too few to effectively grasp many objects, but if the tentacles were strong enough, they could likely carry larger objects, and could be used as melee weapons.

And as for head scratching...
I don't know about you guys, but I can't imagine scratching my head without fingernails, which inkling don't seem to have.

Of course, given their ink - infused bodies, Inkling might not even get itchy. I'm going to research itchiness to see if this is plausible.

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
Ok. Apparently, itchiness is caused by such things as dry skin (a chronic problem of mine), bug bites, rashes, and certain infections, among other things.

Given that inklings appear to have ink spread throughout most of their body, dry skin could mean they have a far worse problem than itchiness: a lack of ink. while this would be either frustrating or a disability for the average inkling (depending on whether the effect was permanent), it would be fatal for an inkling in a survival situation as the inkling's dangerously acidic(?) ink is their primary defense against predators.
In fact, if they lost enough ink, the effect would almost certainly end with fatality or total disability, since we came to the conclusion that pressurized ink and that cytoskeleton thing support the inkling's body.

as for rashes, infections, and bug bites, inklings would be a pretty hard target since their ink can dissolve foreign organic matter... but if bugs evolved to counter this, the inklings would probably not feel a desire to scratch themselves so much as coat themselves in ink to help flush any toxins and damaged skin away...

unless I'm forgetting some important points we made earlier. If you can counter any of this, please do. I also miss this discussion.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Much appreciated you two.

I've been playing around with the thought of while amusing myself in attempting to make fan art/fics, so the notion comes to mind. I figure, well of course, why can't those left over tentacles can be put to limited use as extra limbs similar to a monkey's tail. Nothing stopping them. Nothing stopping me.

And I use head scratching as a lower end example of tentacle movement, it doesn't have to denote itchiness (maybe I should have said "rub" instead). We don't always scratch our heads when we're actually itchy either. And at some point in time Inklings/Octolings would have likely picked up the human phrase "that's a real head scratcher" along with the gesture to go along with it, and would likewise use their finger or a "hair" tentacle when saying that expression.

But as with anything in this thread it's all speculation, yet I do appreciate that quick look up on the symptoms to itchiness so we could try and apply it here.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I wonder just how much of human behavior/body language did Inklings pick up from the remains of our civilization.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom