Final Splatfest has been announced

isaac4

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
I can't believe they announced it this fast.
It's really weird and makes me think that they had a different schedule in mind that didn't play out for some reason so now they just announced two fests very close to each other.
We also did end up getting "Past/Present/Future" except each of the idol groups represents one of the options which is nice.
Not sure how this would have an impact on the future of the series but I'm excited to see what they do.

sevenleaf

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093

this art though..... its so cute

no idea yet what team to pick. i know everyone who didn't double down on it being an idol group vs idol group fest and their grandma predicted past/present/future as the theme but it's a good theme imo, that could be taken in interesting directions if they still plan to use it to influence the next game, so i'm happy

briank913

Inkling Cadet
NNID
briank913
Switch Friend Code
SW-0159-0074-0919
I also said this in another post long ago, considering this seems like an ideal Fest Topic.

-If past wins, maybe we'll have an S1 Remaster
-If present wins, maybe a content extension or an S3 Deluxe for Switch 2
-If future wins, maybe the devs will get to working on S4 immediately

reelrollsweat

Pro Squid
It's really weird and makes me think that they had a different schedule in mind that didn't play out for some reason so now they just announced two fests very close to each other.
to be fair in splatoon 2 final fest was announced 3 days after the second to last fest was announced (at least in na)

-If present wins, maybe a content extension or an S3 Deluxe for Switch 2
imagine if nintendo had an entire content extension planned out but bc present doesnt win it just never happens. imagine

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Called it.

Thematically, I like Future. But assuming this will again shape the direction of Splatoon 4, I've been thinking a lot about a prequel based on the Great Turf War. Feel like that might be better off as a spinoff game than S4 though.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I am TORN.
If Team Past wins, the odds of me getting my Sting Ray back are at their highest (still virtually zero).
But I’ve always been a forward thinker, and Team Future would normally suit me best.
But Team Present‘s victory is most likely to give us remastered Splatoon 3 single player content.
But knowing Nintendo, we’ll get a more primal and rugged game if Team Past wins; imagine Salmon Run!
But if Team Future wins then the odds of us getting glide drones to use in multiplayer are astronomical!
But Team Present is being led by Off the Hook!
But Deep Cut deserves more time in the spotlight after their shoddy single player presence.
But Sting Ray is doomed if Team Past doesn’t win! (I do not care about the Squid Sisters.)
But I want more Agent 4 and Agent 8 lore, and that is most likely to come with Team Present’s victory!
But I like futuristic aesthetics.
Actually forget Team Past I don’t like the idol group (sorry Squid Sisters fans). Sting Ray is dead anyway, Crab replaced it.
Present or Future, an impossible choice.
Aargh!
I’m probably going to pick based on ink colour.

ikebro

Senior Squid
Pronouns
any/pronouns
they didn't even let us debate starchfest first lmfao. i was gonna have so much fun during starchfest but now i gotta train like it's the military for this

i have NO IDEA which team i'm gonna go for, but i think rn i'm leaning more towards future. i'm definitely not going to be team past bc it feels like every other piece of media has been banking on nostalgia for the past 5 years and i don't want more "Hey! Remember That Old Thing You Liked? Here It Is Again But Worse." i especially don't want something like that from splatoon... this is assuming that the results have any major impact ofc lol

sevenleaf

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
ok so i need to sleep instead of talking about finalfest (side note: apparently the official tweets have been carefully worded to not call this the final fest, which i think just means we’re getting seasonal fest reruns) but tbh right now rather than trying to decide what team to pick i’m having more fun thinking about different ways the theme could influence the next installment

like, maybe instead of directly impacting splatoon 4, this will influence a spinoff game? i’m thinking this because in particular, past winning and having splat4 Literally In The Past could be problematic since, for continuity’s sake, weapons added in s2-3 wouldn’t make sense to include… but i don’t think that’s the direction the devs want to take the series, nor is it what we want to see. but a spinoff would sidestep this problem a bit

but a “past”-themed splatoon 4 - or a “future”-themed one - doesn’t necessarily have to take place in the past/future. at least, the hub world and multiplayer don’t. it could instead take place in a historic town, or a city that, despite it being the “present” in splatoon terms, has a more futuristic vibe.

but the story mode… well, for one, it could involve straight up time travel. but it could also be themed around the past or future, somehow. i am too sleepy to think of anything for future but for example, a past-themed story mode could involve Squid Archaeology… or something

present’s the one i’m blanking on the most for what it could mean, because like… the first three games are already, relatively, “present”-themed by default. so i don’t know what would be different. i don’t expect an expansion on anything from the existing story modes, tbh, seeing as s3 was meant to be the end of the original trilogy. i think we’ll get an all-new story, regardless of which wins this fest.

Cephalobro

Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Picking future, they haven't won the Splatfest back in Splatoon 1, this is their second chance to do so! And I would rather much prefer a sequel with completely different characters, maybe we even get to see descendants of said characters we know from the current trilogy.

Vidknight

Pro Squid
Pronouns
He/Him
This question can be interpreted in thousands of ways. For example past are we talking about past as in the first splatoon game? Or is it past in lore and talking about the great turf war. Same with future how far in the future are we talking about. I also agree with sevenleaf that this might not lead to a splatoon 4 but to a splatoon spin off. Either way if it's splatoon 4 or a spin-off I will go with future. I honestly would love to see new ideas. I already experienced the past splatoon games and know about the lore. I want to see brand new ideas that expand upon the game and lore.

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
she/her
(side note: apparently the official tweets have been carefully worded to not call this the final fest, which i think just means we’re getting seasonal fest reruns)
I've noticed this too and I've been thinking about it. I really want to see seasonal fests again, but I don't expect them to rerun splatfests just because they did for splat2 (that was an unplanned covid-driven thing after all); and while they did add data for the inkopolis square seasonal splatfests, I still wouldn't jump to the conclusion that would mean they would for certain re-run them; there's no reason it couldn't just be an aesthetic option to view the plazas in festival-decor (sort of like how splat1 had amiibo functions to view concerts in the plaza). So somewhat pessimistically I hope, but don't expect it to happen.

However since they seem to be explicitly avoiding referring to this as the Last Fest Ever, I'm having a little more hope that maybe they will at least re-run seasonal fests and that would make me so happy ;; It might be a deviation from the norm but just because the game stops getting content updates doesn't mean the events have to end! I'm hoping we also see re-run big runs (big re-runs? lol) giving us another chance at getting each trophy (and if they're re-running splatfests, odds seem higher that they'll re-run big runs too)

Anyway maybe I'm overthinking it and I don't want to get my hopes up but... it would just be nice.

I'm almost certainly going team Past. I think anyone who knows me well enough would assume that of me given my perpetually nostalgic tendencies and meticulous habits of archiving and documenting stuff to look back on later, lol. I'm not terribly concerned with what impact the result may have on the future games (which... I guess tracks, lol).

Tinybitt

Full Squid
Sure was a night to be accidentally awake for lol

I guess we did end up getting the idol splatfest but instead it has another theme on top of it which I think is very cool. I was already going to be team Squid Sisters literally no matter what but now that they are tied to the “Past” theme, this made the choice that much more obvious lol. But that also brings the question: “If future wins, will Deep Cut stay as idols?” Anyway, Team Past FTW.

If we’re looking at it from the influence on the next game perspective I really don’t believe they’ll remaster splat 1/2. Splat 2 is still playable on switch and for splat 1 we already have the best things from that game in 3. Squid Sisters, Inkopolis Plaza, almost all the weapons and some stages (I’d still like a port of Arowana Mall, and also I hope to never see Saltspray rig and a few other maps again)

If they end up going for a spinoff that could potentially be big. Maybe we’ll get open world Splatoon?

Last edited:

Cephalobro

Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Spin-offs would be great, they can be used to confirm pieces of the lore without taking away from the main plot of the next Splatoon game. I already have an idea for a spin-off they could do, which could be used to tie the next main Splatoon game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom