• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Gear Discussion Thread

Zzuxon

Inkling
I really don't want it to give an advantage to people who can just grind for better and better stuff over those who just don't have the time, interest, or attention span to do so.
I really don't want to give an advantage to people who can just practice for better and better skill over those who just don't have the time, interest, or attention span to do so.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I really don't want to give an advantage to people who can just practice for better and better skill over those who just don't have the time, interest, or attention span to do so.
There's a difference between having an unfair advantage through items and just being good at the game.

Zzuxon

Inkling
There's a difference between having an unfair advantage through items and just being good at the game.
How come items are unfair?
The game was clearly balanced with gear in mind, the fact that they don't have downsides proves it. No one has done anything to show that clothes are uncompetitive in any way.

Zzuxon

Inkling
Exactly, If I lose because someone just has more practice then its fine, but if I lose because they just have better stats then there is a problem.
You have an equal opportunity to improve your perks as they do. If you choose not to, it is your fault, not the game's.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
hopefully the perks only provide subtle benefits

if theyre overcentralizing, itll become a problem. it stops being a game of skill first and instead a game of who has the most effective loadout. that works for some games, but arena shooters... not really

Lyn

Premium
You have an equal opportunity to improve your perks as they do. If you choose not to, it is your fault, not the game's.
If they fully improved their perks and you just started playing, they have an advantage. You can't do anything about that.

Zzuxon

Inkling
If they fully improved their perks and you just started playing, they have an advantage. You can't do anything about that.
They'd have an advantage from being more experienced, gear or otherwise.
There is nothing wrong with the situation you just described.
Improving perks is just an extension of getting better at the game.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
actually, there is

what if a player is just better at the game than they are? like, they're experienced and well versed in shooter games, but they get into splatoon and get crushed because they don't have upgraded perks

like i said, it stops being a game of raw skill and becomes a game where the winning move is buying the right items

Lyn

Premium
You can overcome skill, though. You can't do anything about them having certain advantages that aren't possible to you.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
You can overcome skill, though. You can't do anything about them having certain advantages that aren't possible to you.
exactly. even if you're not good to begin with, you can adapt and improve faster or slower than the game lets you level up perks and buy gear. it's not consistent among players, nor is it healthy for the meta

Reactions: Lyn

Mondrae205

Senior Squid
If I have work and other things preventing me from playing and I just don't get equipment that have the same stats as them then there is a problem, I don't want ot have to grind in order to get +4 speed boots when the game keeps giving me +3 and I have an automatic disadvantage, I just hope that this game doesn't do that like smash bros or if they do it is disabled in ranked or something.

Zzuxon

Inkling
Yes you can. You can get items and improve them through use. Just like they did.
actually, there is

what if a player is just better at the game than they are? like, they're experienced and well versed in shooter games, but they get into splatoon and get crushed because they don't have upgraded perks

like i said, it stops being a game of raw skill and becomes a game where the winning move is buying the right items
There is no way that perks are going to be good enough to invalidate skill.

If I have work and other things preventing me from playing and I just don't get equipment that have the same stats as them then there is a problem, I don't want ot have to grind in order to get +4 speed boots when the game keeps giving me +3 and I have an automatic disadvantage, I just hope that this game doesn't do that like smash bros or if they do it is disabled in ranked or something.
Work would also prevent you from practicing, and getting better at the game's basics. There's no difference.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
since perks are going to be a huge part of the game, i hope they're handled well. benefits should be almost immediately available to the player without grinding. it would suck if a player got clothes that had a really strong perk that other players just couldn't get because of the RNG behind the stores (assuming there is any.)not to mention the equipment ought to be cheap so you don't have to grind nonstop for them...

ideas:
  • stores archiving equipment from previous days for you to purchase again
  • the stores all have set equipment for days, and you can roll back your wi us date to get them if you so desire
  • you can assign perks to any of the clothes you desire, but for an added cost
just spitballing some stuff

i have faith that nintendo and the splatoon devs will do this well, however, but i think the game should have a minimum focus on perks and stats, and if it does have a major focus on them, it shouldn't give players who have played for longer more advantages

Lyn

Premium
Yes you can. You can get items and improve them through use. Just like they did.
No. You can learn techniques and other things to get better at the time in time constraints. You have to play the game often to level up your items, that's the difference.

Zzuxon

Inkling
Another thought I just had.
Y'alls reservations about a noob going up against someone with refined gear is invalidated by the matchmaking system. Everyone playing each other will be similarly seasoned, and have similarly seasoned gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom