• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Gear Discussion Thread

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
You can get items and improve them through use. Just like they did.
the thing is, that's not really actually mechnically improving at the game so much as it is just sinking more time into it than you should actually have to

Zzuxon

Inkling
No. You can learn techniques and other things to get better at the time in time constraints. You have to play the game often to level up your items, that's the difference.
You don't git gud without a consistent time investment either. You have to play the game often to do both.
There is no difference.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Another thought I just had.
Y'alls reservations about a noob going up against someone with refined gear is invalidated by the matchmaking system. Everyone playing each other will be similarly seasoned, and have similarly seasoned gear.
That is just speculation. It'll likely be like that for the ranked mode, but the casual modes I don't think will work like that.

You don't git gud without a consistent time investment either. You have to play the game often to do both.
There is no difference.
You can. Everybody develops skill at a different pace.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Another thought I just had.
Y'alls reservations about a noob going up against someone with refined gear is invalidated by the matchmaking system. Everyone playing each other will be similarly seasoned, and have similarly seasoned gear.
well yes, you would get into match making with people with similar equipment, but if your perks carry you harder than your talent at the game that's not really healthy development for the player

games can have puchaseable equipment done well (look at counter strike) but having to grind to unlock gear and equipment over the long term is problematic

like, how would this even work at a local venue? would you have to play with no perks and default stats?

Zzuxon

Inkling
That is just speculation. It'll likely be like that for the ranked mode, but the casual modes I don't think will work like that.

You can. Everybody develops skill at a different pace.
Anyone who can develop skill as quickly as you are imagining is exceptionally talented.
For the average person, getting good requires time.
well yes, you would get into match making with people with similar equipment, but if your perks carry you harder than your talent at the game that's not really healthy development for the player

games can have puchaseable equipment done well (look at counter strike) but having to grind to unlock gear and equipment over the long term is problematic

like, how would this even work at a local venue? would you have to play with no perks and default stats?
If everyone has good gear, it all cancels out and skill becomes the key factor. There is no carrying.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
If everyone has good gear, it all cancels out and skill becomes the key factor. There is no carrying.
...what? are you forgetting the very literal benefits like added health, weapon accuracy, etc a perk can do? that goes beyond player skill, that affects match ups and the very meta of the game. you can't just dismiss that for a tournament, dude

Zzuxon

Inkling
...what? are you forgetting the very literal benefits like added health, weapon accuracy, etc a perk can do? that goes beyond player skill, that affects match ups and the very meta of the game. you can't just dismiss that for a tournament, dude
Everyone would have access to those effects. Therefore, there is nothing uncompetitive about them.
Indeed, they'd make competition more interesting, like custom moves in smash.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Everyone would have access to those effects. Therefore, there is nothing uncompetitive about them.
no, they're actually very uncompetitive

perks are assigned semirandomly to clothes you buy from shops every day. the only way to reset them and get the perk you want is if the shops are assigned to your wii us internal clock and not a server at nintendo. you also have to upgrade them by playing online matches continuously with them. if you want to hold a tournament at a physical venue, getting perks for players are going to be a NIGHTMARE. the only way i can see tournaments running with how the game works right now is just default equipment with no perks, which is probably more healthy competitively since you don't have to account for unknown factors like someone having more health or ink than usual

the way perks work are fine for someone casually playing multiplayer. they're very polarizing for anyone looking to take the game to tournaments.

Mondrae205

Senior Squid
I think the problem is if not everyone gets those perks, obviously people playing more will get more equipment plus more practice. The problem lies where if the equipment is random or its attributes are random and I can not get the same equipment or perks as you.

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
Does anyone have a translated list of the available perks? I think they released descriptions of them in a Japanese magazine sometime earlier this month.

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
Does anyone have a translated list of the available perks? I think they released descriptions of them in a Japanese magazine sometime earlier this month.
They released info on perks? I haven't heard about this at all!
I remember there was a post from the Splatoon Tumblr regarding perks, but they only talked about one, the Ink Saver.

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
I think I remember seeing a scan of the page...let me try and find it again..

Edit:
Ah I found it, it was posted by user Rag on the old boards actually. I saw it when I glanced over the old forum a while back, though I wasn't a member there.

Page 60 of the magazine, I think it shows the names of the attributes.

http://imgur.com/a/CxXgd
There's scans of other pages in there so scroll down to find the Splatoon pages

Link to thread: http://squidboards.freeforums.net/thread/144/new-splatoon-info-famitsu-weeks

Edit 2:
Actually there's only 5 shown there, and that's definitely not all the possible perks. I just noticed the official splatoon website was updated recently and the gear page shows some screenshots with a few other perks that aren't in the magazine page. I'm not sure if these are a different category of bonuses or they chose to just introduce a few in the magazine.

Last edited:

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Style, of course. I am the kind of person who equips my characters based on looks even in games like Dark Souls (aka Fashion Souls). As I said in another thread, tying stats to outfits in a game like this is very stupid, but that is not going to stop me from making my Inkling look fabulous regardless of dumb stats.
You have an equal opportunity to improve your perks as they do. If you choose not to, it is your fault, not the game's.
What the **** am I reading

Last edited:

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
this being my first real shooter that im going to play, I don't know how big of a difference perks make in shooters at all.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
I feel we may be over estimating the effect of perks honestly, from the way the officials describe it, as well as from a vast bunch of gameplay videos I've been seeing, it ultimately does come down to what your loadout is and how you use it. I think a perk is literally that, just sort of an extra assist, maybe it helps cover a weakness your weapons have like, say, the Ink Saver, but it's definitely not the be all end all like some seem to believe--I highly doubt the developers who put so much detail into this game would just throw random effects onto clothes without any thought to game balance. If someone is totally outshining every other player, chances are they're just good at the game and perks has little to nothing to do with it.

As for perks in tournaments, I guess we'll just wait for the game to come out and if there's a perk that's problematic, we as a community can take action, but as for now you shouldn't be afraid of perks.

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
I wonder if we'll get any weapons that have a 'cleaning' effect, where it just gets rid of all ink in the area of effect. Maybe as a secondary with a larger range than the typical ink bombs since putting down your ink already counters opponent ink? FLUDD getting a cameo as a weapon would be hilarious.

BOOXMOWO

Inkling
I wonder if we'll get any weapons that have a 'cleaning' effect, where it just gets rid of all ink in the area of effect. Maybe as a secondary with a larger range than the typical ink bombs since putting down your ink already counters opponent ink? FLUDD getting a cameo as a weapon would be hilarious.
I've thought about that a lot, on account of the established fact that Inklings dissolve in water (meaning water based weapons would still be able to splatter enemies), the constant Super Mario Sunshine references from the fanbase, the Classic Squiffer having a re purposed cleaning spray bottle for an ink tank,the single player enemy that does nothing but clean ink, but given that, like you said, covering your opponents ink with your own already removes it I don't see any way it would be worth it (at least not in the modes we know about).

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
Yeah the only way I could see it being worth it would be if it has a larger radius or maybe made the spot unable to be inked for a little while. I guess it could be an interesting idea for a super weapon that could create a small new water hazard, maybe it lasts either a set amount of time or until it splats x number of enemies? It'd probably have to let your own team members through too.

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
Certainly going to be wearing the robotic-looking outfit from the Green Squid amiibo, unless I find some other items that I just love. To be honest though, I'll probably just change my outfit up from time to time. Maybe I'll make up some sets to go with specific weapons that I use. I might not, but I suppose it depends. If the perks end up benefiting specific weapons, I think it's more likely I'll do that. Assuming the good perk is on an item I like, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom