• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Global October Splatfest: Trick vs Treat!

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Last week forgot what we'll it was on; this week I fail to notice it starts hours earlier!

Had a small, panicky internal monologue about scheduling, rescheduling, rescheduling, and rescheduling until I remembered this party is 48hrs straight--I got plenty of time and wiggle room to handle ish in meatspace and inkspace and cyberspace, pffft!

Still would be nice and helpful if we had a messaging feature like the rest of the 21st century though!

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I've never felt so much boiling hatred in my life. It was that bad.

I feel nothing but pure hatred for every living being.

Nothing but sea of pure trash. Can't keep a defense, can't keep and advance. Can't even keep a lead in the last 30 seconds, they'll always get wiped by 1 person and we lose it last second. And this was almost consistent.

I had what I'd consider a bad Splatfest before, but this takes the cake, easily 3 fold.

And this Shifty Station is just so... bad. Maps with one single choke point are by far the least enjoyable maps in the games. Now make it one choke point with basically scripted routes into central.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Yeah, it's astounding that despite the concept of the stage being as simple as 'hold on to this little island', people STILL manage to be stupid enough to cost us the match. I seriously have had matches where I was fighting off the enemies left and right all by myself for most of the match while others where trying to penetrate into the opponents' side, getting killed of course.

At least I'm able to stread out the misery over two days this month.
Ok so obviously the 2-tone paint is a new effect, but it looks like the graphics in general or maybe just the frame rate have been improved. Does anyone else notice this?
Two tone paint? What are you talking about?

Also, the game has always ran perfectly smoothly for me, and it's always been 60fps, so I'm not sure what kind of improvements there could've been on that front.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
team trick? more like team weak..no offense to all them good players but i almost am at that point that i just wanna skip this splatfest all together..my team gets dominated like crazy ALOT as if they are all noobs and the enemy team are all rank X players,sometimes i really hate other people..and this splatfest is really making me feel like that again -.- oh and did i mention that i HATE the shifty station not dislike but really hate? so far this matchmaking is rediculous this splatfest and yes it's really pissing me off,even the Squid vs Octopus splatfest wasn't this bad for me and with that 1 i already knew my side would lose the splatfest at the start >.>

Last edited:

Cephalobro

Is anyone else encountering Japanese players? And no, this wasn't a one off thing, I have encountered way too many this morning. It's so frustrating when you have a winning streak only for it to end in a loss because the matchmaking system isn't separating players by region.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
Is anyone else encountering Japanese players? And no, this wasn't a one off thing, I have encountered way too many this morning. It's so frustrating when you have a winning streak only for it to end in a loss because the matchmaking system isn't separating players by region.
sadly to much..i swear i don't want to play against Japanese players all the time..and hell they are gods at the game..they are just to impossible to beat in my opinion >.< i already find it a miracle if i actually was capable of splatting Japanese players lol

Cephalobro

sadly to much..i swear i don't want to play against Japanese players all the time..and hell they are gods at it...they are just to impossible to beat >.< i already find it a miracle if i actually was capable of splatting Japanese players lol
Yeah, whenever I see them, most of them already hit the King/Queen rank, some of them still being in the Champion rank, but nothing lower than that.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
It's a global splatfest, running into Japanese players is inevitable.

That said, I've had a fantastic time this splatfest. The shifty station's design is kinda poor, sure, but that hasn't stopped me from enjoying myself massively with friends. The style system is hilarious and lets us get clout at an absurd pace, hopefully our winstreaks will make a difference!

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Wow... I read Scary Black-Seahorse Hippie Warriors as something entirely different.

AHEM, as pointed out this is a global Splatfest and they make up the larger portion of the playerbase, so there's no getting around encountering them. Meanwhile I've felt frame rate drops only on Shifty Station as well as the occasional teammate dc to go with it.

@Nutmeat, I think I know what you mean. That viscosity look to it? That's always been around but it does feel a bit more noticeable? *shrug*

Also, my analysis from alt play on Team Trick in sporadic bursts:
Undercover Sorella Brella, Exsplosher, and Nautilus 47 are the bestest slaying weapons in the game! FIGHT ME... because my slayer-weapon teammates sure won't. :(

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
how come i never get the possibility to do x10 or x100 match? what requirements are needed for this to happen?! this is my 2nd splatfest with clout but still i haven't even got a x10/100 match at all! :(

Ansible

Community Ambassador
No idea!

My very first match was a x10 on Shifty Station. Narrowly won that. Then after my last post--BAM--a x100 battle on Shifty Station again. Thoroughly lost that partly because of lousy stage design and partly because I'm too busy trying to slay with an Exsplosher instead of turfin like I should be!

Dewnose

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1493-3741-2812
Last night, I played the Splatfest first thing, and ended up playing Japanese players who were already Defender rank; today I haven’t seen any though. I also somehow managed to get a x1.5 synergy bonus with RANDOS; the “SquidForcing Variety Tentacurl Crew.”

Cyan

Inkling Commander
That's all there is to it, 10x and 100x battles are rare, being there as a way to counter match value when taking team size into account of how many Alpha vs Bravo matches occur. 10x are more common (as is expected), with x100 being significantly rarer. Unless I'm mistaken, they only occur in the Normal queue, and not Pro, again to pander to the casual audience who always complains the loudest about Splatfests despite not understanding a single thing about how they work (hence the "we get less matches to win than the less popular team" argument). I just had my first x10 battle about 10 mins ago, and unless another has happened I should be on the current ticker (not under my Squidboards account name, since I changed alias to Polar everywhere, but there doesn't seem to be a way to change usernames on Squidboards). If these things were more common and we still had the less popular team being more dense in high skilled players we'd have the same issue as before where Normal would always be won by the least popular team.

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
Wow... I read Scary Black-Seahorse Hippie Warriors as something entirely different.

AHEM, as pointed out this is a global Splatfest and they make up the larger portion of the playerbase, so there's no getting around encountering them. Meanwhile I've felt frame rate drops only on Shifty Station as well as the occasional teammate dc to go with it.

@Nutmeat, I think I know what you mean. That viscosity look to it? That's always been around but it does feel a bit more noticeable? *shrug*

Also, my analysis from alt play on Team Trick in sporadic bursts:
Yeah, there is a color gradient now, the center of an ink pool is darker and the edges are lighter, making it look like it has depth. Maybe its always been like that and I’m just crazy, idk. I swear its new though. It makes it harder to tell which team won at the end.

Metasepia

Inkling Cadet
Yeah, there is a color gradient now, the center of an ink pool is darker and the edges are lighter, making it look like it has depth. Maybe its always been like that and I’m just crazy, idk. I swear its new though. It makes it harder to tell which team won at the end.
I think it always has, it's just more noticeable {at least I find} on lighter colors against dark ones because contrast.

And this Shifty station proves yet again, that the devs have {largely} no idea to make a good stage centered around gimmicks. A Rolonium Shifty Station is probs going to have me in tears.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I just got a 10x match in Pro, so they happen there.

As for the ticker...mine has been showing the same message all night. It happens to be a 100x battle that had one of my Switch friends on the winning team. So that's not very useful.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
I think it always has, it's just more noticeable {at least I find} on lighter colors against dark ones because contrast.

And this Shifty station proves yet again, that the devs have {largely} no idea to make a good stage centered around gimmicks. A Rolonium Shifty Station is probs going to have me in tears.
my biggest frustration with this stage is that there is only 1 way to get to the other side is with the grind rails,there is no sneaky way to approach or a way around it..you HAVE to use it and if the enemy is dominating they have no problem splatting everyone who comes near them...to me this shifty station is impossible to do >.> and i admit i also really hate it but no matter how hard i try this stage is just impossible for me to perform on..i really am kinda dependend on my team on this stage..cause i am not the best help sadly,i am just trying my hardest but that's all i can do ^^''

Last edited:

Metasepia

Inkling Cadet
my biggest frustration with this stage is that there is only 1 way to get to the other side is with the rolonium,there is no sneaky way to approach or a way around it..you HAVE to use it and if the enemy is dominating they have no problem splatting everyone who comes near them...to me this shifty station is impossible to do >.> and i admit i also really hate it but no matter how hard i try this stage is just impossible for me to perform on..i really am kinda dependend on my team on this stage..cause i am not the best help sadly,i am just trying my hardest but that's all i can do ^^''
Did you mean: Grind Rails

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom