Global Splatfest: Fancy Party vs. Costume Party

Which team are you?

• Team Fancy Party!

Votes: 60 57.1%
  • Team Costume Party!

Votes: 30 28.6%
  • I don't know yet, but I'll pick one sometime

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • I'm not participating in this Splatfest.

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Also, last I checked "You can dress fancy at a costume party" is a cheap cop-out, both the idea and socially. If you just showed up in a suit or a gown to a party where everyone else is some sort of silly thing, you WILL gets looks and comments in my experience.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Also, last I checked "You can dress fancy at a costume party" is a cheap cop-out, both the idea and socially. If you just showed up in a suit or a gown to a party where everyone else is some sort of silly thing, you WILL gets looks and comments in my experience.
Why would you wear something expensive at a party with usually cheap costumes anyway (not including the really good homemade or commissioned costumes but even then fancy clothes can be around the same price as an expensive cosplay)?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I've actually seen people do this, and it is at least in part what the "dress fancy as costume" bunch are suggesting, so your guess is as good as mine.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Should not have been drinking anything when viewing those links @ShinyGirafarig posted. Such a mess...

If you're lucky you'll sometimes come across a fancy party that has some leeway to their stuffiness. I've been to a few formal attire masquerade parties before. And a few formal functions where tossing on my cloak or one of my capes only made me stand out in how extravagant I came across while keeping in tone with the party.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Laughter. Copious laughter. Especially when I clicked on the lion cub one.
I see these lil' costumes all the time so I am used to them. I could sew plushies but I am not even going to attempt to sew baby clothes.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
@Ansible

I figured as much. In that case, I say this: the Americas are the only place where that streak's still going uninterrupted. Japan bucked it last month, EU/OC never really experienced it. If it matters at all, then it doesn't look good for Marie, does it? Especially if most of the players are going to be Japanese anyway.

...damn it, now I'm the one looking for the trends that don't exist, looking for something to to pin the blame on when nothing's happened yet. How ridiculous of me.

fuchsia

Full Squid
NNID
fuchsiaplays
Why would you wear something expensive at a party with usually cheap costumes anyway (not including the really good homemade or commissioned costumes but even then fancy clothes can be around the same price as an expensive cosplay)?
i like dressing fancy, i like cosplay, and i don't think combining the two is a cop-out or waste of money. fancy cosplay: kaylee's dress from firefly, princess buttercup [i meant to type bubbblegum but buttercup works too], any renaissance fair outfit, "zombie bride"... aside from kaylee, i've done all of these with $10 dresses from the thrift store. and if you show up at a costume party as any of these, at least if they're like my friends, people are not going to side-eye you for dressing fancy.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Pictures from the Japanese Twitter account. View attachment 3167
I can't tell whether Marie's trying to be a cat or a gopher here. Either way I'm not convinced.

Callie, though! Never thought she could pull off a stylish dress like that, but there you go! Even if Team Fancy loses this I'm still gonna be glad I chose that team.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
And they reference fursuiters after all...

For anyone trying to understand why some will prefer snobby restricting fancy parties over the more looser costume parties, at least the atmosphere will never allow that.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
...I'm sorry, but every time I look at that malformed Judd costume that Marie's wearing, I can't help but chuckle. As if the Hot Dog squid wasn't already stupid-looking enough! She looks like a deranged Easter bunny.

Callie, on the other hand... now I never utter the word "fabulous" unironically, but damn it if she doesn't look it.
(Note to self: How can I be at such a loss for words for a friggin' cartoon squid?!)

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
I think it is supposed to be a tanuki because Japan.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
At that point, I feel like they're deliberately discrediting the Costume team. Could've at least showed us the Crusty Sean costume that was apparently so good to fool everyone.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Yeah. Marie dropped the ball hard on that.

Anyway, who's gotten triples on their tees yet? I managed to get one naturally!
Natural Triple Damage Up Splatfest Tee.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom