Global Splatfest: Fancy Party vs. Costume Party

Which team are you?

• Team Fancy Party!

Votes: 60 57.1%
  • Team Costume Party!

Votes: 30 28.6%
  • I don't know yet, but I'll pick one sometime

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • I'm not participating in this Splatfest.

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
True, but I think that time more people actually liked Charizard in that one, and I totally agree with them.
I normally always prefer grass starters so I would have chosen Venusaur had I been there anyway.

WhiteShiningDiamond

"We are the Crystal Squids!"
NNID
foxyfoxy90
Dressing up in scratchy outfits is fun and all... But anytime when it's socially acceptable to cosplay..... I'm gonna cosplay!
Costume party~ Blub!

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
This is the first Splatfest where the Japanese are with us, last time was the Pokemon one where they had Charizard vs Venusaur instead of Charizard vs Blastoise, where Venusaur obviously won because only 20% voted for him.
20%? Is that the lowest it has ever been for a splatfest's popularity? Where's the Venusaur love?

Although I do think it would be nice to play with the Japanese (for some reason, I have the most lag when playing local splatfests), I am kinda afraid they might reinforce the popularity curse further. I kinda miss the first few splatfests where everyone had no idea what to choose meta wise and just chose on topic/randomly/based on color/Squid sister.

Last edited:

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
20%? Is that the lowest it has ever been for a splatfest's popularity? Where's the Venusaur love?

Although I do think it would be nice to play with the Japanese (for some reason, I have the most lag when playing local splatfests), I am kinda afraid they might reinforce the popularity curse further. I kinda miss the first few splatfests where everyone had no idea what to choose meta wise and just chose randomly/based on color/Squid sister.
Or chose based on the topic. That works too.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I kinda miss the first few splatfests where everyone had no idea what to choose meta wise and just chose randomly/based on color/Squid sister.
Be nice if I could play a splatfest in such an environment. I bet there'll be "conspiracy theories" or confirmation bias with whoever wins. Callie wins and it's the popularity curse. Marie wins and it's the Squid Sister win streak.

Where's a time machine when you need it?

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
The meta sort of started when Roller Coasters won with people theorizing that more older people will go on them than younger people due to height restrictions on roller coasters. By Autobots vs Decepticons I already was seeing Miiverse posts telling people to choose Decepticons because kids will go towards the "hero" side. No one knew what to meta for on Art vs Science. Then Cars won and then the meta'ing really took off. I don't believe anyone chose Cars for meta purposes yet at that time so when they won people finally understood how to game the system.

Last edited:

Nousha

Full Squid
NNID
NoushaKhanom
Hmm, looking around the plaza most inklings I come across are pro-costume, but the poll here says most people favor fanciness.

I'm a bit biased on this one. As a up and coming trans-woman, dresses that are even somewhat fancy are often able to calm my nerves as I've always plain and boring aesthetically as a child. Costume parties are cool and all (I was thinking of going as Leon Trotsky for Halloween but the outfit is probably too expensive) but I've never been into cosplay stuff as much as my friends.

@ShinyGirafarig Your profile with the plushies is super cute by the way. Congrats on becoming a mother! I'm sure you'll do amazing :)

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Although I do think it would be nice to play with the Japanese (for some reason, I have the most lag when playing local splatfests), I am kinda afraid they might reinforce the popularity curse further.
Funnily enough, Japanese Splatfests are a little more even in that regard: 7 of the victorious teams may have been less popular, but the other 6 winning teams also had the popularity advantage, the most recent being the Dragon Quest one. And for what it's worth, five of those 7 victories occurred after the 6x multiplier was added. A similar situation exists in European Splatfests, where the ratio is 8 unpopular wins and 5 popular, and where those victories are a little more spread out so far as I can tell.

The NA region is literally the only place where the "curse" can be considered a probable thing. And with 2/3 regions having a better track record in this area, I wouldn't be so quick to assume that this curse is automatically going to carry over.

I bet there'll be "conspiracy theories" or confirmation bias with whoever wins. Callie wins and it's the popularity curse. Marie wins and it's the Squid Sister win streak.
I dunno, I think she kinda deserved a break from having her teams' ***** getting kicked month after month. And after this Splatfest, I wouldn't mind if she kept that streak going for a while longer.

Also, minor nitpick, but worldwide Callie was the one with the Squid Sister Streak up until February, in addition to the "curse" here in the Americas.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Also, minor nitpick, but worldwide Callie was the one with the Squid Sister Streak up until February, in addition to the "curse" here in the Americas.
I should've been clearer. I meant as in Marie now having her turn at a winning streak.

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
I can't believe people would rather a fancy party!

I love dressing up in costumes. It's the best.

Although I hate parties (unless it's a squid party!) so...

Last edited:

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
I can't believe people would rather a fancy party!

I love dressing up in costumes. It's the best.

Although I hate parties (unless it's a squid party!) so...
I don't like long conversations, having to repeat myself over and over again, being starred at and I get anxious if I feel I look ridiculous which is what me wearing a costume may lead to. The long conversations and repeating is what I would have to do about costumes since I want to dress as obscure characters and not well known ones. My anxiety will shoot up through the roof maybe into a panic attack if my character costume does get recognized. At least with fancy parties all I'll get at most is "You look so nice."

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
I'd rather wear a ballgown than a hot dog suit, so fancy it is for me :D
Who said it had to be hot dog suit? Costume parties are completely up to your call and choice as opposed to the strict dress code of fancies.

... Probably shouldn't have replied to a post on the first page. Oh well.

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Who said it had to be hot dog suit? Costume parties are completely up to your call and choice as opposed to the strict dress code of fancies.

... Probably shouldn't have replied to a post on the first page. Oh well.
Counterpoint: Some of us actually like the tuxedos and ballgowns of that strict dress code.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Counterpoint: Some of us actually like the tuxedos and ballgowns of that strict dress code.
And before anyone says you can wear those in a costume party too, some of us like the more structured parties of fancy parties too. And when I have my baby I prefer a respectable party honoring my child than do whatever you want parties.

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
I don't like long conversations, having to repeat myself over and over again, being starred at and I get anxious if I feel I look ridiculous which is what me wearing a costume may lead to. The long conversations and repeating is what I would have to do about costumes since I want to dress as obscure characters and not well known ones. My anxiety will shoot up through the roof maybe into a panic attack if my character costume does get recognized. At least with fancy parties all I'll get at most is "You look so nice."
That's funny because I get anxious when I dress up fancy because in general I can't stand people commenting on my appearance. They're always complimentary but I don't want to hear it.

I'd much prefer to look ridiculous. It's fun, everyone else looks silly, it's a nice conversation starter... and also I'm extremely outgoing and quite confident and I don't ever really feel worried that people think I look silly. I don't really care what anyone thinks.

But hey like I say I don't like parties. I last went to a party for new years eve 2013. I get invited to them, I just never go. Haha.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Well I plan to dress my baby in adorable costumes eventually when the time comes so it's not a huge deal for me what team wins (or ever, I know it is just a game). Thanks to @PrinceOfKoopas he showed me this on another website:

http://www.amazon.com/Tee-Monster-Pikachu-Pokemon-Inspired/dp/B00XD2C3HA
http://www.amazon.com/Tee-Monster-Zelda-Inspired-Onesie/dp/B00WAGMV9U/ref=cts_ap_1_fbt
http://www.amazon.com/Bulbasaur-Fac..._UL200_SR158,200_&refRID=051K496RR7J0SR3PJMFV

But I really want the actual baby costumes such as this: http://www.amazon.com/Rubies-Costum...8&qid=1462887805&sr=8-1&keywords=baby+costume

But as a Pikachu or Yoshi instead or some other game character. I can't seem to find official ones anywhere, only fanmade ones which might not be necessarily for sale. You think it would be a no-brainer to make these costumes but maybe the stereotype is that gamers would never, uh, have children. Though I don't care for Princess Peach, they do make official costumes of her so I can easily buy that and rock the Peach and Yoshi theme and maybe my husband as Mario (sorry @PrinceOfKoopas that he would dress up as the villain).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom