• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Global Splatfest: Fancy Party vs. Costume Party

Which team are you?

• Team Fancy Party!

Votes: 60 57.1%
  • Team Costume Party!

Votes: 30 28.6%
  • I don't know yet, but I'll pick one sometime

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • I'm not participating in this Splatfest.

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
... well, I, at least, find Marie's quaint mustelid-looking get-up very endearing. That might bring me over to Fancy Dress (Costume), as I was slightly tending towards Black Tie (Fancy) before but still not fully-decided.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
... well, I, at least, find Marie's quaint mustelid-looking get-up very endearing. That might bring me over to Fancy Dress (Costume), as I was slightly tending towards Black Tie (Fancy) before but still not fully-decided.
I'm not saying I dislike it, I just knew a lot of people weren't going to like it.

I mean, Callie's get-up, I 100% expected and didn't care for as a result. I liked the surprise of Marie's choice, even if it isn't the most... crowd-pleasing, I guess.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Meh, the only real problems I have with Marie's costume is figuring out what it is and looking a size or two too large. Since she did a convincing Crusty Sean, I half expected another in-game character or a Nintendo character at least.

By the by, who's the artist they have on roll doing the Splatfest art?

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
By the by, who's the artist they have on roll doing the Splatfest art?
They have a great style, haven't they? I'd link them also possibly to having done the 'final weapon update' mini-portrait series (here), but no idea who they may be.

NovaScienceNever

Senior Squid
Meh, the only real problems I have with Marie's costume is figuring out what it is and looking a size or two too large. Since she did a convincing Crusty Sean, I half expected another in-game character or a Nintendo character at least.
According to Inkipedia, the exchange in the Japanese version has Callie ask if Marie dressed as a ghost at one point, and Marie recalls how scared Callie was. Callie retorts that she probably wouldn't have been if she knew it was her. Treehouse probably just came up with the Crusty Sean bit to fit how she's depicted in the west. Hence why Marie's costume looks awful despite that statement.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
At that point, I feel like they're deliberately discrediting the Costume team. Could've at least showed us the Crusty Sean costume that was apparently so good to fool everyone.
Now that I think of it, it would kinda make sense if they intentionally tried to push people to vote for team Fancy if it was getting less votes, trying to balance things out. Personally, I find maries whatever-it-is costume pretty funny.
Anyway, who's gotten triples on their tees yet? I managed to get one naturally!
I got triples on tees twice, once for Team Pizza and once for Pokemon Blue. Got :ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_bombrange: on my tee right now, so it will be pretty good for my :wst_shot_explight01:.

Also, if anyone wants to dress like Hot Dog Squid, I found that the Fuju Bell hat looks pretty similar to the goofy hot dog hat, and since there is no barefoot option, shoes that look like your skin color would be the best. Probally going to dress up as a scuba diver (mostly for Damage Up), but it would be nice to see what people can do with their gear

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Lol conspiracy theories. Does Japan even have anything against fursuits like in the West? These were first made for the Japanese audience after all.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
*steeples fingers* Yes~, yes~, let the conspiracy theories flow. Now we just need an X-Files style photoshop/drawing of Marie in a hotdog suit with "I want to believe" text.

@Cuttleshock, Indubitably! I'm also curious as to what other work the artist(s?) has done as well. The style they're using for Splatoon I'd like to study a bit further.

@NovaScienceNever, Much appreciated. I'm enjoying reading the differences in character dialogue while still managing to keep some character continuity across all regions. Nice work they've been doing on that one.

Princess Bubbie

Tiny lil' monster
NNID
Princess.Bubbie
I honestly thought people would chose costume party because of cosplay. o.o Which is the reason I chose..now looking at the votes I feel silly for thinking that. xD

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Lol conspiracy theories. Does Japan even have anything against fursuits like in the West? These were first made for the Japanese audience after all.
Doubt it. The only reason why some people in the west have such a hatred for furries is because they blew something slightly out of the norm way out of porportion. They heard that some people having sex in animal costumes identified as this thing called furry and made the assumption that "oh you're a furry, then you must have sex in fursuits. I will now aggresively mock you because of the thing a very small part of your community does is somewhat related to bestiality". Meanwhile the japanese on the other hand don't seem to care all that much about weird things, heck they're basically the weirdest country. Okay i might be stereotyping here, but seriously. I doubt they would even care that someone dresses like an anthro animal. They'd probably just consider it cosplay. I honestly think that all the furry hate is unjustified. it's obvious that the people who do that are in the minority, so why group them all together like that and accuse them of bestiality. Okay the post is getting lengthy and somewhat off-topic, but my point is that the japanese probably don't give a damn. I'm not a furry myself, but i just really hate how cancerous some people can be.
Note: when i say some people in the west, i'm not referring to anyone in this thread or squidboards in it's entirety. i'm sure you're all lovely people.
I honestly thought people would chose costume party because of cosplay. o.o Which is the reason I chose..now looking at the votes I feel silly for thinking that. xD
I thought the same for patrick, but then i remembered that a lot of online voters are usually older teenagers to adults and that doesn't count for the outrages amounts of kids that play. On squidboards and some facebook groups i'm in, patrick beat spongbob by a mile, while the end results showed that spongebob was indeed the popular one. A lot of kids will be voting costumes 'cause let's face it, what kid actually likes fancy parties o_O

Last edited:

Rabite

Inkster Jr.
NNID
cboyd1987
A lot of kids will be voting costumes 'cause let's face it, what kid actually likes fancy parties o_O
On the upside, team cute (fancy) will have no shortage of matches against team hot dog girl

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
If they're anything like the Japanese players I've fought lately, then I can expect to have brutal, hard-fought, but nonetheless close games... at least, they'll be there if I break into the higher ranks. Business as usual, and for Splatfests that's about what I expect.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
... I don't see the relevance, but okay?
Wait, lemme try.

Maybe the party he went to was a Costume Party ('cause Halloween) and you'd expect Costumers to carry a 3DS with them.

But they didn't. So it's a proxy for Costumers not being, y'know, cooler than Fanciers or anything.

(Personally, I bring my 3DS to job interviews.)

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
So, the JP Twitter says that we're getting Walleye, Flounder and Ancho-V this Splatfest. Better hope the information is accurate--I heard they announced Bluefin as one of the stages for Japan's last Splatfest when it was really Port Mackerel.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Those 13 voters for "I don't know yet, but I'll pick one sometime" better change their vote soon, 'cause Splatfest begins in an hour and a half!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom