• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Global Testfire General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zipplip

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Zipplip
But it isn't even OP . . .
I just said that as a joke for how everyone calls the Roller OP. When in reality you will 1. Kill yourself and your opponent if you go up against another roller, or 2. Unless you he/she's focused on something else, your good as dead from a ranged attack

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
I actually kinda hope the Roller gets buffed so more people use it so I get more kills.

But seriously, any nerfs to the Roller would make it more of a "send me to spawn plz" card than it already is.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I actually kinda hope the Roller gets buffed so more people use it so I get more kills.

But seriously, any nerfs to the Roller would make it more of a "send me to spawn plz" card than it already is.
The roller is a tricky one, that is for sure. It isn't OP, but it also isn't UP. It does it's job well, but it's job can also be easily limited. It is an awkward weapon for sure, due to how it specializes in one thing: covering territory, quickly.

TheRapture

Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
The roller is a tricky one, that is for sure. It isn't OP, but it also isn't UP. It does it's job well, but it's job can also be easily limited. It is an awkward weapon for sure, due to how it specializes in one thing: covering territory, quickly.
It's certainly underpowered in everything but laying paint, but that's what makes it balanced. Hopefully it stays that way. But it really does put the user in bad situations more often than not. The game isn't simply about laying paint.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
It's certainly underpowered in everything but laying paint, but that's what makes it balanced. Hopefully it stays that way. But it really does put the user in bad situations more often than not. The game isn't simply about laying paint.
That is very much true. It seems like the Roller is just going to be a beginner's weapon at this rate.

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
That is very much true. It seems like the Roller is just going to be a beginner's weapon at this rate.
Agreed with what you guys have said completely. I do still think there's a lot of skill to be had with the Roller. I've seen a lot of gameplay footage from the demo now, and I've noticed a lot of people rarely or never bothered to use the flick to attack people, and would instead try to run at them. Even in a Roller vs Roller situation. Sometimes you're too close and you both get splatted before you can do anything, but other times you can flick ink at them, they get splatted and you can just run over all their hard work. Not only that, but it definitely feels like a weapon where you will need to retreat and reposition yourself. As you say, the main point of the Roller is to spread ink because it's so efficient at it, which is the opposite of the Splat Charger. That thing is much more for picking people off and helping the rest of your team cover the map in ink. Direct confrontations with the Roller isn't where it excels, so sneaking up on people is your best option, and I loved doing that if I'm honest. Even when it happened to me, I couldn't get mad because they managed to catch me in the very moment I let my guard down.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
Well once the game shifts into the taking territory phase of course the roller has to put itself into bad spots.
I don't know. I truly did feel like I wasn't as much a sitting duck as people make it out to be, but I approached roller as a guerrilla sort of weapon by the 3rd testfire. It was much more effective for me to run in, ink a ton and duck out and go ink a completely different place than try to hold my ground. It was also great for the last 20 seconds since I would oftentimes have unchecked access to enemy ink on account of them pushing.

As we play the game more I can even see intentionally drawing people over to somewhere where teammates are or setting them up for a killer wail, etc.

TheRapture

Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
I feel like Rollers are too occupied just rolling paint than trying to get close to opponents and out-classing them with a superior melee weapons. More often than not, I was getting kills because the rollers were just rolling around out in the open, not squiding out of harm's way, and often trying to chase down players who are simply squiding in reverse to avoid them.

grandpappy

You guys made me ink!
NNID
eyeplaybass
Yeah. I think rollers need to play smarter than most people were playing them during the test fire. They have a lot of potential to do more than just cover a lot of ground quickly, and I think they definitely fill that role well, but I don't think it's all they'll be good for once people start being intelligent about it.

michael

Inkling
I found the Global Testfire demo absolutely amazing! It was fun, colorful, and addictive. Definitely looking forward to spending dozens of hours playing this game during the summer.

AEM

The Saltsui no Hadou
Rollers gotta understand that they've got a pretty scary projectile on them too. I'm certain good Roller users will make a ton of use of their sub-weapon of choice to cover the Roller's ranged weaknesses.

Citanul

Senior Squid
NNID
outforprophets
Now that I made my general impressions video I can actually type a response to this thread!

Controls and movement

So first things first I'd like to point out I think the controls were great. I didn't utilize Y to recenter my reticle much but probably should have. But every other action seemed to be mapped to the perfect button. I'm unsure if the developers will support custom button layouts but I don't really see myself changing it even if they do. It felt natural switching in between squid and kid form after a couple games. I had gyro controls off because off where I sit in correlation to my television (made it a bit difficult at the angle from my desk) and found because of the WiiU tablet being larger than other controllers I've used before I was most comfortable at the lowest sensitivity (-5 I think it was). All in all this game feels very fast paced and just getting around the map is a blast.

Maps and Turfwar Strategies

We only had two maps in the GTF but both played very differently for the given gametype Turfwar. While on Walleye Warehouse it was simplified to keeping the enemy pushed back and watch your flanks, Saltspray Rig is a prime example of a map I wish I had voice communications. As the Direct on 5.7.15 suggested, if you're not careful, an enemy team can snag a victory using the bottom portion if you just focus on the top and vice versa. Another thing I wanted to point out about Turfwar in general, while the objective is to have the most floor covered with your team's ink, I think it should be prioritized to paint over enemy ink than find unmarked turf in most situations. The same amount of BP is acquired and you are disrupting the enemies total BP. While this isn't ALWAYS the best case, it is something to keep in mind post launch.

Online Connectivity and Netplay

I admit because i hadn't played the game myself I was worried about lag. But the GTF quelled these concerns. In game I not once experienced any lag to the point I forgot I was playing an online game. I did run into maybe 5 or seven connection errors while matchmaking, but most of the time downtime between games ranged from only about 20-40 seconds on average. I think this is awesome considering every match I finished I just wanted to jump back into the action. So giving the option to queue back up from past game stats is a great feature in my opinion.

Weapons and Loadouts

While first instinct is to scalpel out the 'worst' weapons and put everything in tiers, keep in mind the final build of the game has custom loadouts with various Ability modifiers on the gear we equip. This can change how effective a weapon is compared to how it performed in the GTF. So I can't say what I think is the best. I can however say I believe every weapon has general strengths and weaknesses, but Roller and the Shooters were highly effective in Turfwar.

This does not mean I think Roller is overpowered in the slightest. The only thing I think needs to adjusted with the roller is how quickly they can fill their special meter. An example I saw in a match was a roller was able to acquire their Killer Wail only a few seconds into the game without entering the center playing field. I think it should take roller a a bit more BP before using the specials or Kraken/Roller looping could turn into an issue (worst case hypothetical scenario).

I do think the Charger is not that strong in Turfwar because it ends up playing a supportive role. You can paint entire small hallways and lengths with one charge and your ink refills very quickly (or at least in that loadout it did), but it has real trouble because of the charge time and the range actually being shorter than projected. To call this weapon a Sniper I think is a misconception. it's more of a scouting rifle because focusing on hunting enemies with it guarantees low BP and most likely a loss.

Overall I think the customization in the loadouts are really going to play an important role in determining what is "good" and what is "bad" after May 29th.

Other stuff

Initially I thought the games were too short at three minutes, but after a few matches I realized what the short time limit did was cause a sense of urgency. Every second I felt I had to be pushing, painting and moving because that second couldn't be spared doing nothing. But I believe Ranked Splat Zone time limit is a bit longer, as it should be since it's more central objective focused rather than all over the map. I really wish there was an option to adjust sensitivity in game, but this is a minor gripe. My impressions of the game itself have been very positive, more than expected. I hope to see you guys in 19 days. And remember I will see you on the canvas!

Video and Gameplay for those interested....

Really great job with this write up and video, though I wanted to clarify a factual errors:

1) I've only heard that you can only use the Wii U Gamepad to play online. The Pro Controller comes into play for Battle Dojo.
2) Current signs point to the fact that you cannot customize your loadouts. There's a thread in another one of the boards here with some evidence. The 5/7 Direct also mentions this. What many believe is that while you can't customize your loadouts, there might exist different "brands" of main weapons that come equipped with different secondary/special weapons. You might find one that would be the same as one you'd create but if it doesn't exist you can't create your own loadout.

Your opinions I agree with, though. Especially about sensitivity. I set mine to -2.5 and I felt like it was still too high, but I didn't wanna drop out of a game with good people just to sswitch.

EnderGamma

Senior Squid
NNID
EnderGamma
Really great job with this write up and video, though I wanted to clarify a factual errors:

1) I've only heard that you can only use the Wii U Gamepad to play online. The Pro Controller comes into play for Battle Dojo.
2) Current signs point to the fact that you cannot customize your loadouts. There's a thread in another one of the boards here with some evidence. The 5/7 Direct also mentions this. What many believe is that while you can't customize your loadouts, there might exist different "brands" of main weapons that come equipped with different secondary/special weapons. You might find one that would be the same as one you'd create but if it doesn't exist you can't create your own loadout.

Your opinions I agree with, though. Especially about sensitivity. I set mine to -2.5 and I felt like it was still too high, but I didn't wanna drop out of a game with good people just to sswitch.
Yes I see my mistake in wording about the custom loadouts. I was more speaking about the Ability modifiers. I think I need to be more descriptive because you are not the only one who pointed that out to me. Thank you!

Citanul

Senior Squid
NNID
outforprophets
Yes I see my mistake in wording about the custom loadouts. I was more speaking about the Ability modifiers. I think I need to be more descriptive because you are not the only one who pointed that out to me. Thank you!
Thanks for taking it well! I can be a bit of a fact Nazi, especially when I see the same misinformation popping up over and over again. If you're talking about the Abilities/Perks on clothing, I believe the first ability cannot be changed, but the 3 random ones you get from using/upgrading it can be rerolled. It's just short of complete customizability (since I might not be able to get exactly what I want AND looking how I want), which kinda sucks. At this point I'm hoping for a decent set of starting perks for the school girl outfit cuz that's the set that I wanna be using mainly (barring some other sweet fashionable options)

Smooth Criminal

Full Squid
I feel like Rollers are too occupied just rolling paint than trying to get close to opponents and out-classing them with a superior melee weapons. More often than not, I was getting kills because the rollers were just rolling around out in the open, not squiding out of harm's way, and often trying to chase down players who are simply squiding in reverse to avoid them.
I didn't even squid to move out of the way if I saw them bearing down on me. At least with the vanilla rollers in the Test Fire, if you shoot them, you stop them dead in their tracks. I guess it's because you're splashing paint onto them as well as behind them in such a way that they might as well be slogging through your team's ink.

It's the more covert/subtle guys that gave me trouble, the ones that get the drop on you for not paying attention to your blind spots.

Smooth Criminal

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
So what y'all think of the game's music? I for one have a strong love for all that played in the demo. Though it was weird that one was trying to sound like a death metal song.
The music is great, though I fear it will get repetetive with many hours in the game. Hopefully the option to turn it off is available for later use, so I can just jam to my own stuff.

Edit: the "1 minute left" tune was already atarting to wear on me only from watching testfire matches.

Sheikashii

Senior Squid
NNID
OreoCookieJAF
My impressions of the first Testfire was that the paint roller was over powered. Or at least the best weapon of the 4. Taking a look on the internet you'd know that almost everybody thought the same but after the end of the testfire I went from "why would anybody pick a gun the it has no accuracy" to "the jr is the rollers counter" At the end I loved the SSjr the most out of all of the weapons.

The roller is the most fun...or maybe relaxing to use. It's like total zen mode just strolling along ^_^. Mid to long range is definitely the most effective in turf war IF there is already a roller on your team. More times than not they will runn head on with another roller and you can clean up while they SJ back to you. So excited to play some more

I had a lot of fun, but they better patch in Pro Controller support. The GamePad has a stand for a reason. Let me use it as a map and nothing more.
I agree with you! I like the pad but having Pro support would make 4p split screen possible which is something games are lacking now a days

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom